New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Why doesn't Wanda become a lich?

I'm sorry if this question has already been asked but, why doesn't Wanda become a lich? I mean, she's already powerful and obviously evil, so lichdom would have tons of perks for her.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Why doesn't Wanda become a lich?

Do liches exist in Erfworld?

Besides, Liches aren't hot, and hotness is one of her powers.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wooter View Post
    Do liches exist in Erfworld?

Besides, Liches aren't hot, and hotness is one of her powers.
    If uncroaked can exist, liches can exist. She could probably get through the hotness problem by having some kind of illusion charm (like a magic pendant or spell) so she will appear like she did in life.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RocketBard View Post
    I'm sorry if this question has already been asked but, why doesn't Wanda become a lich? I mean, she's already powerful and obviously evil, so lichdom would have tons of perks for her.
    First this is Erfworld. We don't know if Erfworld has liches. Also, is a seductress and I don't think that many people on Erfworld are necrophiliacs. Also I think that Wanda doesn't like the idea of being a walking skeleton or desiccated corpse. I honestly think she likes her live fleshy body.
    On the issue of killer or sadistic DMs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    That sort of person is not worthy of being a Game Master of any sort. The GM is there to entertain and bring enjoyment to the player group, thus being entertained and enjoying himself likewise. Soneone that finds pleasure in making others unhappy is a sad case indeed. That kind of GM should be left alone to lurk in online MMP games to ambush newbies' characters as they enter the setting :]

Cheers,
    Gary

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Malagigi View Post
    First this is Erfworld. We don't know if Erfworld has liches. Also, is a seductress and I don't think that many people on Erfworld are necrophiliacs. Also I think that Wanda doesn't like the idea of being a walking skeleton or desiccated corpse. I honestly think she likes her live fleshy body.
    Well, Erfworld has zombies, so why not liches? Secondly, I didn't think that liches really decayed all that fast. If you own the book for the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (I'm only using it as an example), just look at page 208. It has a picture of a lich that has been alive for over two centuries, yet it still has all it's skin. It's because of this picture that I assumed decay for liches wouldn't really kick-in until after the lich would have died in a regular life.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Wanda should multiclass bard.
    Many thanks to Abardam for what is quite possibly the coolest avvie ever.

"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers."-Roger Waters

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kraggi View Post
    Wanda should multiclass bard.
    Wait, are you suggesting a singing lich?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

A singing hawt lich.
    Last edited by Kraggi; 2007-05-29 at 11:10 PM.
    Many thanks to Abardam for what is quite possibly the coolest avvie ever.

"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers."-Roger Waters

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Why? Because I don't think it would help her power base out any, and could hurt it fairly severely. After all, Ansom's weapon specifically destroys Uncroaked, like litches (if, in fact, they DO exist in Erfworld, which is doubtful at best). Sounds to me like she'd just paint a big huge target on her back if she did that.

Besides, she gets too much use out of flesh to give it up. It would hurt her ability to manipulate the one person who has the power of life and death over her.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Erfworld has zombies, so why not liches? Secondly, I didn't think that liches really decayed all that fast. If you own the book for the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (I'm only using it as an example), just look at page 208. It has a picture of a lich that has been alive for over two centuries, yet it still has all it's skin. It's because of this picture that I assumed decay for liches wouldn't really kick-in until after the lich would have died in a regular life.
    why not? because the writer may not want em'... if the writer wants Zombies and skeletons, but doesn't want liches, or the ability for croakamancers to turn themselves into liches (liches may have to be popped as liches to begin with), then that's exactly how it's gonna be...

And y'know... skin doesn't mean too much...
    I mean, she may still look good, but that skin's gonna rot... and since she is uncroaked, she's probably just as cold as an zombie... really, skin ain't as nice to touch when it's very cold, kinda hurts her seductive ways...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm. Given that liches are up there with dragons (dwagons) and angels (archons) in terms of powerlevel, I expect that if liches exist they're bound to an Arkentool.
    Last edited by Pyrian; 2007-05-30 at 01:15 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Don't you know what they say about assuming things?

Erfworld isn't Dungeons and Dragons or World of Warcraft, it has it's own world and you can't apply other fantasy-stereotypes to it unless the creators of it deem that so.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wanda should become a lichi. Lichis are hot...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maurog View Post

Best answer yet.

Erfworld's undead are all called "Uncroaked". Not Zombies or Skeletons or whatever. It's like there's only one category of uncroaked.

Otherwise, the dead warlords would be raised as something better than that, like Death Knight. We can thus conclude that all uncroaked are uncroaked. No variants other than their gradual loss of freshness.

Vinnie? Vinnie is a vampire, but vampires do not seem to be considered undead in this "game" world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, after a brief consideration I feel that my earlier response doesn't cover enough ground, however brief and to the point it is. So let's ask ourselves, why doesn't Wanda become a lich? The list of possible reasons is very long, so let's cover the basics - setting reasons, qualification reasons, personal reasons, story reasons.

Setting reasons - we don't have enough information, therefore we cannot assume there are liches in the setting whatsoever. "Why didn't Morgana LeFay become a lich?"..."Why didn't Darth Vader become a lich?"..."Why didn't Gandalf the Grey try to get the rings of Elrond and Galadriel to complete a set and get insane bonuses to elemental resistance?"..."Why didn't Little Red Riding Hood let the werewolf bite her to become a werewolf herself, with obvious advantages?" Having no reason to assume the setting allows upgrading croakamancers into liches, this discussion is pointless.

Qualification reasons - Let's assume. Suppose there are liches around every corner in Erfworld and we just haven't seen them yet. Traditionally liches need to be evil and powerful mages. Does Wanda qualify? In my personal opinion, while certainly a mage, she's not nearly evil enough, nor can we assume she's powerful enough. In fact, we've never seen her use any croakamancy, except for the assumed uncroaking of Manpower. She seems to be able to pull off quite powerful spells prepared by other mages, yes, but we cannot measure her personal power.

Personal reasons - Let's assume. Suppose Wanda is one of the most powerful croakamancers of her time, and as evil as they get. There are countless possible reasons for her not to choose to become a lich. Maybe liches killed her parents. Maybe she's just afraid. You know, if the ritual fails, you die. Doesn't seem worth it, especially since for all we know Erfworld people are already immortal until killed. They don't get born, right? Why would they die from old age?

Story reasons - Finally, it comes to this. Even assuming liches exist, and Wanda qualifies, and she dreamed to become one since she popped into existence, sometimes the answer to "Why?" is "Just because!". Because the creators of the comic didn't want a lich main character in the story. That's a reason enough.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

By the D&D standards (which might not operate here), part of becoming a lich is dying.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Here's one:

Who is to say that uncroaked necessarily are able to enjoy physical life as much as the living? What's the point of taking on uncroakedness if the fun things you really get into just don't feel good, anymore?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post

Vinnie? Vinnie is a vampire, but vampires do not seem to be considered undead in this "game" world.
    To my knowledge, we just think he's a vampire based on his physical features, his familiars and his choice of sleeping arrangements. I have seen no blood been sucked through a fang yet. And he does chill in the sun.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thus, the question for Vinnie's case is, does Erfworld have any SPF 100 that's keeping him from getting toasty?
    May I have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I always thought that mages became liches to avoid death by natural causes.

But people don't age in Erfworld, do they? I mean, there are no children...why would anyone get old? And if you don't age, why become a lich?
    "She climbed backwards out her window into Outside Over There."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maurog View Post

or perhaps

a GUMMY lichi! Even hotter, and so compatible with peeps!
    Baby Pink Dwagon by Dr. Bath.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DogBrain View Post
    Here's one:

Who is to say that uncroaked necessarily are able to enjoy physical life as much as the living? What's the point of taking on uncroakedness if the fun things you really get into just don't feel good, anymore?
    its a drawback... if being undead/uncroaked was all positives then no one would want to live and they would want to be uncroaked... generally, you trade in pleasure for eternal life... or in the case of zombies, free will is traded... ofcourse for zombies, poeple are forced into it and no one chooses it

Think about it... when it comes to normal vampires (unlike vinnie since we don't know about him), if they were able to live in the sunlight, look in a mirror and didn't have an endless bloodlust for human blood, and had damned their souls, wouldn't pretty much everyone want to be a vampire... those kinds of drawbacks, give balance between living and the un-living

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Liches may be cold, but they aren't cool... Just think, would Wanda have the fanbase she has if she was a dessicated, ambulatory corpse?

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Freederick View Post
    Liches may be cold, but they aren't cool... Just think, would Wanda have the fanbase she has if she was a dessicated, ambulatory corpse?
    Haven't you noticed the Lady Phat-Singh fanclub around here?

Yeah. I haven't, either.

Xykon is popular, but he's a completely different kind of character. The necromancer chick in the OotS, Tsukiko, is pretty much like Wanda: a young and living brunette cutie.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    The necromancer chick in the OotS, Tsukiko, is pretty much like Wanda: a young and living brunette cutie.
    Tsukiko is a Mystic Theurge, not a necromancer.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

She might not meet the pre-reqs and it might need a special item to trigger the promotion. I know in Ogre Battle you needed a special ring to promote one of your guys to lich.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    Tsukiko is a Mystic Theurge, not a necromancer.
    I'll refer you to this:
    When I turned 13, Lord Shojo chose me to become one of his samurai.
    Ah. So you took a few levels of monk before switching.
    Precisely.
    So, Miko, did you take levels in the old samurai class or the new one?
    I did not take any levels (sic) in any "samurai" class.
    Huh? But you said you were a samurai?
    Yes, that is my position in the hierarchy of my homeland, but it is a social title, not a core class. My class is paladin, not counting the monk training mentioned earlier.
    Ohhhhh, I see. So then you took levels in the Master Samurai prestige class.
    No! No, I did not. Why is it so difficult to believe that I can be a samurai without having a class with the word "samurai" in the title? Can there not be facets of life that are not defined solely by class?
    Well, I know SOMEONE who apparently took a few levels in the Mean Old Cranky-Pants prestige class.

Tsukiko is a necromancer. Not a Necromancer, but a necromancer she is.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

If uncroaked can exist, liches can exist. She could probably get through the hotness problem by having some kind of illusion charm (like a magic pendant or spell) so she will appear like she did in life.

So...aside from the "Ewwww" factor - how do we know she's *not*?