New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

Thanks guys!

2. - Top - End - #332
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

Q 157

What Charms or Compulsions are there in 3.5 that don't offer SR? [So if I make an ally no longer immune to Charms and Compulsions, what kind of spells do I have to worry about if he's immune to magic?]

3. - Top - End - #333
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Mariania View Post
    Q 157

What Charms or Compulsions are there in 3.5 that don't offer SR? [So if I make an ally no longer immune to Charms and Compulsions, what kind of spells do I have to worry about if he's immune to magic?]
    A 157
    Charm monster and symbol of persuasion are the only ones I know of but I'm just going from the PHB.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Q 158

The Uncanny Blow ability of Complete Warrior's Exotic Weapon Master has two parts. The second part states that if the Exotic Weapon Master has the Power Attack feat, he treats the weapon as twohanded for purposes of determining his bonus on damage rolls. Is this dependent or independent of the first sentence, which reads that when the Exotic Weapon Master wields a one handed weapon in two hands, he deals 2x his strength bonus instead of 1.5x.
    You can call me anything. I've been called Inkin, Nono, INo, Names, and NoKnow so far.

As of 7/20, I've gotten help in trying to get past a physical addiction that's been eating at my time, and finished recovering from a spot of trouble that ended up eeking into Self-Harm. I'm doing better now; here's hoping it lasts a bit longer...

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

A 158

No.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 156 [correction]

Telekinesis lets you use Violent Thrust to hurl weapons, but does not give you proficiency with these weapons, alter weapon range increments, or change size penalties. Weapons which cannot be wielded at all (i.e., as weapons) because of their size instead use the damage specified in the spell for "other objects" (from 1 point/25 lbs. to 1d6 points/25 lbs., depending).

The rules in Arms and Equipment Guide are for 3.0 weapon sizes, which are not the same as 3.5 weapon sizes. The most important rule for 3.5 weapon size is the following:
    Inappropriately Sized Weapons

A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a -4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.
    Assuming you do not have Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword), this is a two-handed weapon for you. Increasing it a single size category takes it out of the "light, one-handed, or two-handed" range, and you cannot wield it normally. Thus you are forced to use the damage by weight rule in Telekinesis because the rules do not permit you to use the weapon normally.

3.5 weapon weight does not follow the 3.0 Arms and Equipment Guide rule either. See Rules Compendium page 152 for the correct formula.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Assuming you do not have Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword), this is a two-handed weapon for you.
    I disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A bastard sword is too large to use in one hand without special training; thus, it is an exotic [one-handed as per the table] weapon. A character can use a bastard sword two-handed as a martial weapon.
    So a character who is not proficient with bastard swords but proficient with martial weapons can either take the non-proficiency penalty for wielding a one-handed weapon he is not proficient with or not take the penalty and wield it as a two-handed weapon. Such a character could still throw a bastard sword one size category larger than himself, but with a -4 penalty.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 156
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    So a character who is not proficient with bastard swords but proficient with martial weapons can either take the non-proficiency penalty for wielding a one-handed weapon he is not proficient with ...
    The citation you provided doesn't say a character can wield a bastard sword one-handed with a nonproficiency penalty; it instead says the weapon is too large to use in one hand absent that special training (Exotic Weapon Proficiency). A specific rule for the bastard sword overrides the general rule.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 156 [correction]

Telekinesis lets you use Violent Thrust to hurl weapons, but does not give you proficiency with these weapons, alter weapon range increments, or change size penalties. Weapons which cannot be wielded at all (i.e., as weapons) because of their size instead use the damage specified in the spell for "other objects" (from 1 point/25 lbs. to 1d6 points/25 lbs., depending).

The rules in Arms and Equipment Guide are for 3.0 weapon sizes, which are not the same as 3.5 weapon sizes. The most important rule for 3.5 weapon size is the following: Assuming you do not have Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword), this is a two-handed weapon for you. Increasing it a single size category takes it out of the "light, one-handed, or two-handed" range, and you cannot wield it normally. Thus you are forced to use the damage by weight rule in Telekinesis because the rules do not permit you to use the weapon normally.

3.5 weapon weight does not follow the 3.0 Arms and Equipment Guide rule either. See Rules Compendium page 152 for the correct formula.
    I agree about needing to treat the damage from the thrown weapon in question as a thrown object, because of its relative size. I did think of that (and then promptly forgot it, getting distracted by the weapon size increase/damage rules). I noted the difference between the 3.5 PHB and the Arms and Equipment Guide on weapon weight but passed on it, because the PHB doesn't address increasing weight beyond large. I'll have to get a copy of the Rules Compendium after all.
    Last edited by Sane; 2016-01-08 at 08:07 AM.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Re: 156:

Actually, the rules do give the size of a bastard sword. The 3.0 PHB has scale charts showing all of the weapons, and I expect the 3.5 PHB does too. The bastard sword is on page 103, and is 5.5 feet long (4.5 feet of blade, 1 foot of hilt). Yes, I'm sure that an illustration ranks pretty low in terms of rule precedence, but unless it's contradicted by something with higher precedence, it should still stand.

A 157 correction:

Charm Monster and Symbol of Persuasion both allow SR. Charm Monster is "As Charm Person, except...", and Symbol of Persuasion is "As Symbol of Death, except...". Charm Person and Symbol of Death both allow SR, and so that is inherited by the other two spells.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

11. - Top - End - #341
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q 158
    I have looked several times; on what page of Stormwrack are there rules to save someone from drowning? I keep seeing this come up, and have yet to find the passage.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Q159

Does Extended Heroes' Feast take 2 hours to eat?
    Last edited by ahenobarbi; 2016-01-08 at 11:55 AM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

A 159

No. Only the duration of the spell, not the duration what you have to do to gain benefits of the spell is doubled.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Re: 156:

Actually, the rules do give the size of a bastard sword. The 3.0 PHB has scale charts showing all of the weapons, and I expect the 3.5 PHB does too. The bastard sword is on page 103, and is 5.5 feet long (4.5 feet of blade, 1 foot of hilt). Yes, I'm sure that an illustration ranks pretty low in terms of rule precedence, but unless it's contradicted by something with higher precedence, it should still stand.
    Okay but that illustration only gives us the length and width of the weapon, insufficient information for determining the volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    A 157 correction:

Charm Monster and Symbol of Persuasion both allow SR. Charm Monster is "As Charm Person, except...", and Symbol of Persuasion is "As Symbol of Death, except...". Charm Person and Symbol of Death both allow SR, and so that is inherited by the other two spells.
    Thank you for the correction. I really shouldn't try to answer rules questions at 2am.
    Last edited by Sane; 2016-01-08 at 12:19 PM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

A 158

No.
    No it is dependent, or no it is independent? Your answer was rather vague.
    You can call me anything. I've been called Inkin, Nono, INo, Names, and NoKnow so far.

As of 7/20, I've gotten help in trying to get past a physical addiction that's been eating at my time, and finished recovering from a spot of trouble that ended up eeking into Self-Harm. I'm doing better now; here's hoping it lasts a bit longer...

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ettin in the Playground

A 158

You can combine the two. You can wield the bastard sword in one hand and get extra damage as if you were wielding it in two hands. Actually wielding a bastard sword in two hands gives everyone the 2:1 exchange with power attack.

Q 161 or so

Can a living spell be created from a metamagicked spell? Does the metamagic effect apply to the slam attack and or engulf ability?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2016-01-08 at 03:52 PM.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Q 161 or so

Can a living spell be created from a metamagicked spell?
    A 160, I think
    (Well, it's only half past midnight, so here goes...)

I don't see why not. The idea of a living spell is that a spell that hung around after it should have dissipated. There's nothing to say that the original spell hadn't been metamagically enhanced.

Does the metamagic effect apply to the slam attack and or engulf ability?
    In raising the actual CL of the original spell, Heighten Spell would affect the living spell's size, HD, AC*, slam damage (indirectly, via size), spell effect and engulf save DCs, spell resistance, abilities and CR**. As the living spell's speed is determined by the originating spell's range, Enlarge Spell would affect that, and potentially CR as well. Neither Empower Spell nor Maximise Spell would have any effect on slam damage, because slam damage wasn't an aspect of the originating spell.

* Any metamagic feat applied to the original spell would have raised the spell level, and it's spell level, rather than CL, that determines the living spell's AC.

** Given the many consequences of Heighten Spell or the application of other metamagic feats, calculating CR as spell level plus half of CL, as written, may not result in a very accurate CR.
    Last edited by Sane; 2016-01-09 at 03:04 AM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

Re: A 160

The second part of your answer makes little sense:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sane View Post
    A 160, I think
    In raising the actual CL of the original spell, Heighten Spell would affect the living spell's size, HD, AC*, slam damage (indirectly, via size), spell effect and engulf save DCs, spell resistance, abilities and CR**.
    Heighten Spell does not modify the Caster Level, but the Spell Level. The properties you listed (except AC) are affected by the Caster Level, not the Spell Level. It's ability scores should also be modified as they are calculated using the Spell Level

As the living spell's speed is determined by the originating spell's range, Enlarge Spell would affect that, and potentially CR as well.
    I agree.

Neither Empower Spell nor Maximise Spell would have any effect on slam damage, because slam damage wasn't an aspect of the originating spell.
    But what about the engulf damage? What about Energy Substitution?

How are metamagics handled that give entirely new effects like Fell Drain and Transdimensional Spell.

* Any metamagic feat applied to the original spell would have raised the spell level, and it's spell level, rather than CL, that determines the living spell's AC.
    Metamagic feats do not increase the spell level of a spell, with a few exceptions like Heighten Spell.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Q 162 The 10th level Child of Night (ToM) ability says:

Night Form (Ex): For 1 minute per day, you can become incorporeal, and gain all the benefits of the incorporeal subtype. You also gain a fly speed of 40 feet with perfect maneuverability.
    Do you only get the flight speed while incorporeal in this way, or is it a permanent effect?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

20. - Top - End - #350
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Re: A 160

The second part of your answer makes little sense:
    Heighten Spell does not modify the Caster Level, but the Spell Level. The properties you listed (except AC) are affected by the Caster Level, not the Spell Level. It's ability scores should also be modified as they are calculated using the Spell Level.
    Argh. You're quite right. Comprehension has abandoned me! Maybe it's not the time of day... It must be the alcohol. Anyway, apologies.

But what about the engulf damage? What about Energy Substitution?
    Maximise and Empower should affect spell effect and engulf damage, as should Black Lore of Moil, Born of Three Thunders, Fortify Spell, Lord of the Uttercold and Sanctum Spell (assuming the original spell was cast in the caster's sanctum). Energy Substitution, Energy Admixture and Nonlethal Substitution should affect type of damage from spell effect and engulf. I can see Explosive Spell working (fun, fun, fun) with respect to spell effect when a character is hit by the slam but I'm not sure if it could work with the engulf effect, given that the effect of Explosive Spell sends an affected creature to a location outside the area of effect, whereas engulf grapples its victims.

How are metamagics handled that give entirely new effects like Fell Drain and Transdimensional Spell?
    Transdimensional Spell affects spells with targets; living spell cannot be applied to such spells. Fell metamagics should be fine as long as the spells to which they are applied aren't targeted.

Metamagic feats do not increase the spell level of a spell, with a few exceptions like Heighten Spell.
    Eighteen year old single malt.
    Last edited by Sane; 2016-01-09 at 06:49 AM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 163:

Can you summon a Mirror Mephit with Summon Monster IV?
    Last edited by Graypairofsocks; 2016-01-09 at 07:07 AM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

A 163

Yes.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Q 155

What is the "slowed" condition? (Staggering Critical, DotU)

If it's "as the slow spell", can the creature take 5ft steps, free, swift, or immediate actions?
    Reposting because I'm pretty sure this got lost among all the 156 answers.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Q 162 The 10th level Child of Night (ToM) ability says:

Do you only get the flight speed while incorporeal in this way, or is it a permanent effect?
    A 162
    It looks to me very much like it's meant to be only while you're incorporeal.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

Fell metamagics hould be fine as long as the spells to which they are applied aren't targeted.
    Yay! Bunnypocalypse through a Living Fell Drain Fireball. Fear the Wight Rabbit!

Eighteen year old single malt.
    You are forgiven.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Q 155

What is the "slowed" condition? (Staggering Critical, DotU)

If it's "as the slow spell", can the creature take 5ft steps, free, swift, or immediate actions?
    A 155
    Several WotC books use the word slowed to describe an effect. Sometimes, it's set in italics, sometimes not. Either way, as none of the core rulebooks include the term in their glossaries (nor does the updated MMIII glossary have it), I have always assumed it must refer solely to the effect bestowed by the slow spell. And by a strict reading of that spell's entry in the PHB, an affected creature can only take a single move or standard action each turn.

5' step is classed as 'no action', so that is still possible when slowed, as long as you haven't moved during your turn. One or more free actions can be performed, according to PHB p139, as part of another action, so yes, you can make them, too. How many is up to your DM, as always, but at least one should be allowed. A swift action is like a free action but requires 'more effort', hence only one is allowed per turn under normal circumstances. It's a grey area but I would allow at least one swift action every other turn while slowed (at the expense of any other free actions that turn). Immediate actions, too, are a grey area at best but I'd be inclined to disallow them, even if a slowed PC with featherfall had just been knocked off a cliff, because it just seems incongruous to allow out-of-turn rapid reactions while slowed. But that's just personal interpretation. I can't find a definitive ruling.
    Last edited by Sane; 2016-01-09 at 04:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 164

Does a touch attack automatically succeed if you're grappled?
    Warforged Avatar graciously provided by linkele!

28. - Top - End - #358
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 165

Does a creature with immunity or resistance to cold or fire damage gain any resistance to the environmental hazards from extreme heat or extreme cold?

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

A 165

Depends on whether the game uses Sandstorm and/or Frostburn. The damage from extreme heat and cold is typeless (except the parts that reference Heat/Chill Metal), but those books have specific notes that allow you to apply fire/cold resistance to both the lethal and nonlethal damage of extreme temperatures.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    Q 164

Does a touch attack automatically succeed if you're grappled?
    A 164

While grappled, you can attack your grappler with an unarmed strike, a natural weapon or a light weapon (with a -4 penalty). A touch attack is considered an armed unarmed strike (one of 3.5's crazier corner cases). Touch attacks simply deny your opponent's armour, shield and natural armour bonuses to AC.

Edit: if you're attempting to deliver a spell to your attacker, note that it cannot have a somatic component and that any material component must be in hand. Otherwise, retrieving a material component while grappled is a full-round action.
    Last edited by Sane; 2016-01-10 at 08:26 AM.