New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrinblade View Post
    Q 619

If you are fatigued from running for too long or from a forced march, and someone casts lesser restoration (or whichever one that cures fatigue), does it reset you to "rested", so you can continue running/marching as if you had just woke up for the morning?
    It does if the spell says it does. Otherwise, it does not. Refer to the individual spell description. Lesser restoration does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Huldaerus View Post
    Q 620

Is a level 1 spell like Darsson's Cooling Breeze able to move or dissipate faster a level 2 spell like Kelgore's Grave Mist?
    There is no relation between the level of a spell and how fast it moves and/or dissipates. Refer to the individual spell descriptions. (Also, please do not link to copyright-infringing websites, as it is against the forum rules.)
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2016-06-12 at 02:42 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

A 616 Contention

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    A 616 correction

Yes. Ability damage is not healed by polymorphing, so the polymorphed creature would still have the same amount of Con damage which would place them at or below 0 Con, resulting in death.
    PHB glossary entry including line that is omitted from the SRD:

Italicized for emphasis.
    The character never gets to CON 0 or less.

A character with CON 10 and 9 pts of CON damage and a character with CON 1 and 0 pts of CON damage both have CON 1 at the time. When targeted by a polymorph spell changing them into a creature with CON 8 for example, both will have their current CON overwritten with CON 8. As you quoted ability damage is a loss of ability score points. It is not a penalty. Ability penalties would be transferred over and kill the character (if the source of the penalty did not say that the penalty cannot reduce an ability score below 1).

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Q621

I have a question about trading down your standard for a move. If someone is knocked prone and uses their move to try and stand up, it provokes an AOO. If they fail standing up, why can't they just trade their standard for another attempt to stand up? That way the person tripping already used their trip attempt? Can you only trade down to double move? And that means you have to be successful moving the first time?

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Troll in the Playground

A 621

Any valid use of a move action is also a valid use of a standard action. Nothing generally stops a character from making two attempts to stand from prone if needed.

That said, I'm also not aware of any rule that says taking damage while trying to stand from prone prevents you from doing so.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Ettin in the Playground

A 621 Addendum

A character that is prone cannot be tripped, or more specifically a trip attempt does not do anything. A successful trip causes a character to be prone. Obviously if the target of the trip is already prone, such an attempt cannot make him even more prone.

An AoO happens before the provoking action. So making a trip attempt as your AoO when someone tries to get up, happens before he actually starts getting up. This means he is still prone and a trip attempt does not do anything.

Unless the normal AoO drops the target below 0 HP, it does not prevent the target from performing the provoking action, he just takes damage.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

Q 622

Generally speaking, creatures of the humanoid type are Medium or Small (at least in 3.5).

If I were to cast Incarnate Construct on an eligible construct that was Tiny or smaller, am I correct to assume it would still be of the Humanoid type?

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 622

Generally speaking, creatures of the humanoid type are Medium or Small (at least in 3.5).

If I were to cast Incarnate Construct on an eligible construct that was Tiny or smaller, am I correct to assume it would still be of the Humanoid type?
    Yes.
    The creature’s type changes to humanoid if it is Medium-size or smaller, or giant if it is Large or larger.
    emphasis mine.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q623

Party being tracked through the land by an organization that knows our identities.

How does a character evade tracking such as this? Can a character change their identity?

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ettin in the Playground

A 623

That question is beyond the scope of this thread. Please make your own.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 624

If you cast a spell with a range of "touch" through a wand, do you make the touch attack with the wand itself or with your hand?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 625

Where, besides in the DMG, can I find information pertaining to the 3.5 version of Sigil?

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Q 625

Where, besides in the DMG, can I find information pertaining to the 3.5 version of Sigil?
    A625 Manual of the Planes. Nothing has changed between 3.0 and 3.5 in that regard. Also, the Planar Handbook has a bit in it, though the MotP is much more in-depth. A lot of 2e Planescape is still relevant, and there's an official website for 3rd edition Planescape, though I don't recall off-hand where it is.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

A 625 continued

The hardback adventure Expedition to the Demonweb Pits has a fair chunk of it set in Sigil, and has some relevant info (including 3.5 stats for Dabus etc.).

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Titan in the Playground

Q. 626

Would Lesser Restoration remove ability score penalties, such as the one gained from the spell Stiffen (Exemplars of Evil, p. 28) , which grant a Dexterity penalty, but not damage or drain?

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlanBruce View Post
    Q. 626

Would Lesser Restoration remove ability score penalties, such as the one gained from the spell Stiffen (Exemplars of Evil, p. 28) , which grant a Dexterity penalty, but not damage or drain?
    A. 626

Yes. Stiffen applies a Dexterity penalty, and this is similar to ray of enfeeblement, which incurs a Strength penalty and is mentioned in the spell description as an example.

There may be some argument about whether lesser restoration only removes the Dexterity penalty and leaves the other movement restrictions intact, but by my reading, lesser restoration "dispels" stiffen, so the entire spell is dispelled without a caster level check. I am not aware of any situation where only a portion of a spell's effects can be dispelled, leaving other effects intact.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 627

Is there an AoE version of (Lesser) Restoration?

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 624

If you cast a spell with a range of "touch" through a wand, do you make the touch attack with the wand itself or with your hand?
    A. 624

With your hand. As per PHB p. 141:

"Touch attacks come in two types: melee touch attacks (for touches made with, say, your hand) and ranged touch attacks (for touches made with magic rays, for example)."

The PHB suggests the hand as an example, implying that there are other appendages or methods to deliver a melee touch attack, but the only other delivery method mentioned explicitly in the rules is using an unarmed strike or natural weapon under the "holding the charge" rules. However, this is delivered as a normal melee attack rather than a touch attack. Outside of a Channel Spell or similar ability, there's nothing in the rules that would allow a spell to be delivered via a weapon or object held in your hand.

Wands can be treated as weapon-like objects, but are not designed as melee weapons and thus treated as light improvised weapons. Assuming you do have a Channel Spell or similar ability, you could deliver it through this as your "weapon", but it would require a melee attack against the creature's normal AC, and would incur a -4 improvised weapon penalty.

However, aside from all that, if you want to describe the touch attack as touching the creature with the wand for fluff purposes, then I don't see any problems with that, so long as you are following all of the rules for touch attacks.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Q 627

Is there an AoE version of (Lesser) Restoration?
    A. 627

Mass restoration (Cleric 7), Spell Compendium p. 174.

You could also try something like ray of resurgence (Cleric 1, Lost Empires of Faerun) with a Lens of Ray Widening (32000 GP, Lords of Madness). Or maybe lesser restoration plus Reach Spell (Complete Divine) or Ocular Spell (Lords of Madness) + Lens of Ray Widening.

If you're just trying to remove fatigue from multiple targets at once, then a Sphere of Awakening (1800 GP, MIC) can do this to all allies within 60'.

19. - Top - End - #1249

Q 628

How much water does a waterskin (PHB) hold?
    Currently Playing:
    Qianal Ai the Dragonborn Paladin/Barbarian in Sentinels of Houshen

Doderic Took the Halfling Kensei in Falling Stars

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UrsusArctos View Post
    Q 628

How much water does a waterskin (PHB) hold?
    A. 628

About 2 quarts, or half a gallon (1.8 liters for you metric folks). One gallon if water weighs about 8.33 pounds, half that with D&D's "round fractions down" rule is 4 pounds, which is what you see in the PHB. This assumes the weight of the empty waterskin is negligible.

21. - Top - End - #1251

Q 629
    How does the "Spell Flower" spell (Spell Compendium) interacts with other special powers affecting touch spells, like the "Deliver Touch Spells" ability of a familiar, or the "Spectral Hand" spell?

Deliver Touch Spells, for example, says that the touch spell held by a familiar dissipates if the master casts another spell before the touch is delivered. However, with Spell Flower, the caster can hold the charge of several touch spells, and one is dissipated only he cast a spell with a somatic component with the hand holding a charge.

Since there is no limit to the number of forelimbs a caster can use to hold charge thanks to Spell Flower, does a familiar or a Spectral Hand just count as additional forelimbs?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 629

If the text of Spell Flower fails to address these issues, then there simply isn't a RAW answer. It is up to DMs to individually address any gaps in the rules such as this one.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q 630

Shadow Cloak from Drow of the Underdark - "If you are attacked, you can use the cloak three times per day to produce one or the other of the following effects."

What does "attacked" mean? Planning to make an attack roll? Is the attack wasted if I teleport out of the way? If the creature has all its actions, plans to attack as a full round action (or a standard action), if I move out of the way can it move/make a 5 foot step and still attack if it has reach? What about ranged attacks? What about spells, are they wasted? Can I evade spells that require line of sight, but not an attack roll?
    Last edited by Kafana; 2016-06-16 at 03:32 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Q631

When a ranger has a magic bow (of splitting and collision) and a magic ammunition (shock), and is attacking a creature with DR/10 good and resist electricity 10, what damage is negated? If any. Are all the arrows considered Force and 10 is removed from each attack?

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Titan in the Playground

Q 632

Let's say that you're a hellhound. A Bard uses their Inspire Courage class feature on you, and, amongst other things, increases your attack and weapon damage rolls by +1. Does the damage roll increase both the physical damage and the fire damage, or only the physical damage?

That is to say, would the hellhound do 1d8+2 plus 1d6+1 damage, or just 1d8+2 plus 1d6 damage?
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2016-06-16 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Someone posted before me and increased the question number.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ettin in the Playground

A 631

Neither Collision nor Splitting adds a force effect to the attack. Splitting allows you to make two attacks, which are applied and resisted separately. Each attack deals weapon damage +other modifiers +5 +1d6 electricity. The electricity damage is completely negated by resist electricity and the DR subtracts 10 from the rest.

A 632

You only get +1 to the physical damage.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2016-06-16 at 12:58 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A631
    Quote Originally Posted by Dousedinoil View Post
    When a ranger has a magic bow (of splitting and collision) and a magic ammunition (shock), and is attacking a creature with DR/10 good and resist electricity 10, what damage is negated? If any. Are all the arrows considered Force and 10 is removed from each attack?
    The shock effect from the ammuntion does not interact with the DR - but will be negated by the Resist Electricity 10 as it does d6 damage so caps at 6.
    (This damage is not multiplied on a critical).

The collision enchantment gives the bow damage a chance of past through the DR10/good (roll the damage, add the modifiers, subtract 10 for the DR to get damage received).
    (As a fixed bonus this extra 5 damage is multiplied on a critical.)

The splitting effect causes the damage to be rolled twice, but because it is creating a second arrow the DR (and energy resistance) apply to the second arrow separately to the first.

Nothing in the example converts anything to force damage.

Edit: ninja'd
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2016-06-16 at 01:01 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 633

If a creature with a Dex score of 4 is partially entangled by a Lasso (BoED) does it become paralyzed?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ettin in the Playground

A 633

No, but it becomes helpless because it has DEX 0.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2016-06-16 at 11:33 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Titan in the Playground

Q 634 : Is is possible to, rules as written, use any of the following combinations on a ranger?

Mystic and Wild Shape.

Mystic and Fang Shields.

Mystic and that Dungeonscape one that let's you replace Track with Trap Finding.

Wild Shape and that Dungeonscape one that let's you replace Track with Trap Finding.

Fang Shields and that Dungeonscape one that let's you replace Track with Trap Finding.

Fang Sheilds and Wild Shape.

A Combo of all 4.

Q 635: Is there a Prestige Class that would allow someone to advance Druid Spell Casting, Wild Shaping and Cleric Spell Casting? (Bonus points if it happens to also advance animal companion and/or wild empathy, but not required. )

Q 636: If someone has a gestalt build using Druid//Wildshape Ranger, can they burn Wildshape Ranger Wildshape uses per day to fuel Druid Wildshaping?

Q 637: If a Gestalt build has Druid//Mystic Ranger and qualifies for Master of Many Forms (That Wild Shape Focused Prestige Class, I think in complete adventurer.) on the druid side, can they take there levels in it on the ranger side instead RAW?
    "I Burn!"