New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [5e] Zman's Heros for Hire IC I

Thentia-City

On the seventh day of the third tenday of Tarsakh, morning dew glistened along the grass. The snow had only been gone a score of days, and the season of Greengrass was almost upon the lands of the Moon Sea and the moorlands of Thar. The wise woman have called it an early spring, but warn of storms on the horizon...

As the sun climbs in the horizon over the great bustling markets of Thentia whose merchants and live by the motto "Anything for a Price" you find yourself amid the hustle and bustle of the masses. Merchants of different ages, ethnicities and obvious places of origin littler the bazaar. The ports are open and the ships from Mulmaster, Phlan, and even Zentil Keep accross the Moonsea are rolling in and just as many ships are leaving. The Merchant Lords of Thentai's purses fatten as you walk down the Bazaar.

Rumors are passing around you about a mile a minute, Orc tribes across Thar have been growing bolder even raiding small towns to the East near Hulburg and Glister, Ogre tribes have stopped fighting among themselves, and anywhere there is strife bandits make home as the roads grow ever more treacherous. Some fear monger ears among the group claim they've found Vorbyx's Hammer and are going to resurrect the ancient Thar empire. Others say it's just unease, every generation has a story about the orcs and ogres.

The word is Glister is paying good coin to bolster their ranks with mercenaries and Spellsword's and wrestle control of the area. Those stories are immediately followed about the mad Lord Beldoran of Glister hidden away in his keep.

A group of three, a lithe half elf with a silver smile, a tall strong woman of unmistakable presence, and a broad strong Half Orc catch sight of a pair of Wood Elves, one male the other female...

Spoiler
    Show

IC I Thread
    OOC I Thread

History Check
    DC10: The region of Thar was long ago an Ogre/Orc Empire.
    DC15: The empire was led by a cunning and ruthless Ogre named Vorbyx who wielded a legendary Warhammer.
    DC20: It is said that Vorbyx's Hammer was a gift of the gods and granted Vorbyx the cunning to amass an empire. When he lost the hammer he lost hold of his empire which was eventually overtaken and shattered by the invading humans.

Common Knowledge
    Glister and Hulburg were at war a generation ago, but Lord Beldoran and the Lord Hulmaster have held the piece for over twenty years by fostering trade. Glister's metals, gems, and raw materials for Hulburg's grains and seafood.
    Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-09 at 07:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [5e] Zman's Heros for Hire IC I

Ercard

Upon returning to his companions, the raven-haired bard hands each a piece of something breaded, baked, and seared on a stick. The third stick is kept for himself, and he takes an exploratory bite. For a moment, the gossip of the crowd washes over him and his companions, and then he is finished chewing and resumes talking.

"So my point is this. Most bandits--I mean most new bandits--are just people who've deserted a fighting force or had their livelihoods taken away, right? I mean that you have your career ruffians, of course, but when a crisis strikes and banditry goes on the rise, it's desperate folks, not evildoers. So we have all these bandits, and they used to be farmers or guards or whatever."

Another bite of his bready, greasy, "food"-on-a-stick gives him time to think and his companions time to digest what he's indubitably about to propose.

"Point is, Hulburg is going to be missing farmers and lousy with brigands. That's bad for trade two ways, which means the whole Hulburg-Glister situation is going to be worrying the Hulmaster on top of ogres. So we head east along the coast--sea or land doesn't matter--and then start going through villages and towns until we find where the raiding is heavy, right? And then we find out what's been going on to make bandits. It probably is orcs and ogres. That's precisely the sort of thing that would upset the countryside like that. So we start smashing orc and ogre heads."

Bite.

"Because, see, most of these men are just in a desperate situation. If we can make their situation less desperate--if we provide a light to rally to--they'll..."

Another bite and some slow chewing gives Ercard time to think of where he's going with this.

"... well, some of them will rally to our banner. Then we have a little contingent of locals who know the area, and we can roam up and down the countryside smashing more orc and ogre heads, stabilizing the region and making such a racket that the Hulmaster won't be able to NOT reward us... Okay, it isn't a perfect plan, but Pau'la gets to be a hero, and Zaar gets the pay and the fighting except the orcs come to us and we set the ambushes."

And, with his piece finally said, Ercard takes the opportunity to chew through the rest of his snack while his companions respond.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    history - (1d20+3)[20]

3. - Top - End - #3

Zaar

Taking the seared meet with what amounted to a smile, well more of a slight upward movement of the corners of his mouth he takes it and rips into it, rips is an adequate turn of phrase as his canines were clearly meant for tearing into flesh as he listens to Ercard... Well listens as much as any other time, the man is always talking, always planning, which didn't bother Zaar much... Ercard was good people and that was a rare quality.

After devouring his food and glancing around to see if Ercard hid a fourth from him, "Aye, who doesn't like a good Orc killing, just don't get any ideas about adding my head to the pile.". There is a mix of sarcasm and vitriol in his words. Despite being half kin, Zaar held no sympathy or love for his fathers kind. "Sounds like we may even get Glister to pay us for the effort on top. I mean, noble intentions are well and good, but coin puts food on our plates, mead in our mugs, and women in our beds. Hard to argue with coin."

Zaar take one of his daggers from one of his chest sheath and begins picking at his teeth.

To anyone looking on, Zaar would make most uneasy. Though somewhat favoring his mother's kin, there was no mistaking his lineage. His hair was black as night, his eyes a burnt reddish brown, and he possessed a size that few men could match. Among the mostly human population outsiders were rare, among the humans with Orc troubles a Halfbreed was even rarer yet.

Zaar always felt a kindred spirit to Ercard, he was a halfbreed too, albeit a more acceptable union. He too straddled two worlds...

Ercard's friend.... The lass... Well she was a recent acquaintance... But, Ercard vouched for her and that's was enough for Zaar.

Spoiler
    Show

Zaar has two daggers in chest sheaths, one left and right. He has two more daggers in thigh sheaths. STwo Shortswords at his hips. Two Longswords crossing his back along with a Long Bow, Quiver, and a shield for good measure just in case. He is wearing a Chain shirt and darker cloak over the back.

He is 6'2", 250lbs, with black hair, burnt brown eyes, and has slightly longer and shaper canines.

Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-09 at 02:07 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

Ercard snorts in response to Zaar's joke--as if there was any danger of him or Pau'la trying to seize the half-orc's head. Then he cast a curious glance in Pau'la's direction. The girl he remembered had been idealistic and sympathetic towards all, not to mention a devout Lathanderite, but that had been years ago. At least the Lathanderite part hadn't changed, and she seemed to be the same woman he knew. Time would tell.

He continued chewing through the silence the followed.

When he was finished, he cleared his throat and said "Thoughts, Lady Trista? It'll be several weeks of roughing it around the wilds and moors, but it's for a good cause! And coin, but it's good to have both!"

With the noisy hubbub of the bazaar around them, Ercard isn't especially quiet. He isn't quite yelling, but his planning isn't private either.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Luna Shadowstep

Luna stood with Phynn , he hadn't steered her wrong yet. [Elvish]"They seem likely to help curb the threat the ogres and orcs pose." She pretended not to watch them devour their food, but a tinge of hunger hit her. [Elvish]"I think the vulgar one just noticed us." She paced around to stand on the other side of Phynn. The city's hustle and bustle caused her to be uneasy. There are so many people.

The wood elf turned her thoughts to the conversation she had strained to hear, Their plan is brash and I am sure Phynn is already formulating. She looked over to Phynn as he stood beside her, "They will need a guide if their plan has even a chance of success." She grinned at the thought of being post humorously rewarded. It seemed very optimistic at best.

Luna's attention turned back to the armed group amid the rabble [Elvish]"I wonder if they realize we have been following them for two days?"
    Last edited by ncpunkin; 2015-12-09 at 09:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn

Phynn smiled at Luna, noticing her nervousness in the city. While not completely comfortable himself, Phynn had at least spent time in some real cities when growing up, and was used to the huge amounts of people. (Elvish)"They do look competent, and look comfortable with each other, as friends do." Phynn pauses a moment before continuing, thinking of his words carefully. (Elvish) Luna, these people may serve a couple purposes for us. It sounds as if the area may be a little more dangerous than usual. Extra swords may come in handy. Also...their plan isn't totally horrible. I could use some more coin before we continue on."

Phynn leads Luna over to the group of friends. ""Hello. My name is Phynn. This is my friend Luna. We couldn't help overhearing your plan. We were thinking...well, we thought maybe you may want someone that knows the area, the dangers."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Pau'la had been taking in the village with interest. Aside from being able to do good deeds and spread the word of Lathander, being able to travel to different places was her favorite part of being an adventurer. Father had never been one to travel, and there were just so many things to see in a market like this. She was so engrossed, she intially missed that her traveling companion was talking. But she picked up enough get the gist.

Slightly embarrassed, she tried to answer. "Yes, getting paid to do what is right is a nice bonus, but not the main focus of our plans. The true reward is helping these people, and potentially spreading Lathander's word."Pau'la thought for a moment how Lathander had given her father how, and wondered if he could do the same for these people. Then she realized something else that was wrong that need fixing. Something important.

"And for the last time, my name is Pau'la! We're adventuring partners now. That means we're equals!"
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

Ercard let a warm smile play across his face at Pau'la's protestations. "Of course, forgi-" but his response was interrupted by the arrival of another, or rather two others.

The bard turned stopped walking and turned to Phynn when the elf introduced himself and his companion. For a moment, Ercard stood with a slightly bready stick in his hand and an expression of mixed surprise and curiosity on his face. Then his face broke into a broad grin and he extended his stickless hand toward Phynn.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Phynn. I am Ercard, bard," he says, punctuating the declaration by waving his stick over his shoulder at the suspiciously lute-shaped parcel slung over his back, "And these are my friends, Four-Swords and Pau'la." Zaar and Pau'la get vague pointing with the stick as well.

"So. You were listening? I didn't know I had an audience" he continues, then pauses to look Phynn and Luna over. As he does so, the two elves will likewise be able to get a good look at him. A few inches shorter than even Luna, the raven-haired halfbreed is neatly groomed and clean-shaven. His posture is easy, relaxed, and his body language shows no sign of malice or suspicion. That said, he is still clearly attired for travel and conflict. He wears a plain brown brigantine jack over a simple tunic that, once, was probably cream-colored and is now mostly a mottled road color. Dull gray leggings tuck into a pair of study leather boots. Each boot, incidentally, is probably worth more than the rest of his clothing combined minus the armor. Over all this, a weathered tartan hangs from his waist and over his shoulder. A plain brooch holds the the tartan in place at his shoulder, and a strong belt holds everything snug around his waist. Finally, a plethora of pouches and weapons hang from his belt. Two short swords, a long dagger, and a crossbow and its bolts make up the armament in total, and none of them look new. He smiles.

"Well, it's always nice to meet new folks. You said you knew someone familiar with the Hulburg region?"

9. - Top - End - #9

Zaar

Zaar nods in greeting, "Four swords ehh? But, sometimes I get mad and throw one of them at my enemies, then I'm only three swords. But, you can call me Zaar" Zaar chuckles at the familiar name.

He attempts a smile, but it's toothy, and those teeth are sharp, few would see mirth, most would see a snarl.
    Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-10 at 08:00 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn

Phynn obviously relaxes at the warm response to his greeting. "No, I don't know someone familiar with the area. We are the ones familiar with the area. We've been travelling around the area for a while now. As you say, there is more danger out there that needs some culling. We could be of use to you in that."

11. - Top - End - #11

Zaar

Zaar gives a bit of a chuckle, "Just when I thought half a pointy ear was enough!" Zaar looks the two thin Elves over apparently unimpresed by their physical prowess.... Maybe they are more capable than they look...

With a glance towards Ercard and Pau'la, "We were discussing heading east, rumor has Glister will pay gold for mercenary work, are you headed east as well?"

12. - Top - End - #12

DruidGirl

Luna Shadowstep

Luna's senses were studying the features, gear, appearance, voice, everything about the Ercard, Pau'la and Zaar. She didn't say a word, but just analytically stared for several moments. Luna remained seemingly aloof as Phynn introduced them, but her attention was razer sharp.

She looked at Ercard as he introduced his group. These three were the most impressive warriors she had seen in sometime, but money could buy all sorts of weapons and armor. Ercard was clearly the talker among the group, but Luna looked past him to his compatriots. Her attention was focused on Pau'la as she spoke, A Devotee of Lathander?!. She nodded slightly at the woman's words. They were genuine and it was clear she lived for the morning God, a wonderful sign.

Her attention went to the half-orc as she noticed him gauge her. His words made her head turn slightly as if to question his motives, but she was learning that coinage was a requirement in society. His taunts made no impression on her, she had been called worse. No longer in the woods, but you can still smile...smile. She smiled at the half-orc, "We may have use of some coinage, but I typically let Phynn negotiate the terms."
    Last edited by ncpunkin; 2015-12-10 at 05:48 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

"Ahh, mercenaries," says Ercard, still smiling, then hastily amends "fellow mercenaries. Well, if you're looking to combine arms, I must warn you, the coin we're after likely won't come for a while. Until it does..." he trails off and takes second looks at Phynn and Luna.

"Well, I'm just now thinking you might just the sort of allies we need." He flashes his winning smile at the two elves again, then turns his attention briefly to his own companions.

"What do you think of traveling together? Yay or nay?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Pau'la briefly hesitated upon hearing the word mercenaries.Those who took money to fight- wasn't that too close to assassins and thugs? But Ercard seemed to think this was on the level, and if this was a bad situation, then it was her duty to stop it. Either way, the best way forwards would be to go along.

Pau'la smiled happily. "Sounds good to me!"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn

Phynn hesitates a moment, then looks at Luna. (Elven) They mistake us for sellswords. I'm not sure where I went wrong. He then turns back to the bard, who appears to be the leader of the group of friends.

"I'm sorry, I seem to have miscommunicated. We don't typically make a living by collecting bounties. We are travellers, moving around a lot. It's more expensive to do so in the cities, and we do need to earn some if we mean to eventually continue on our own journey."

The smell of the market made Phynn's stomach grumble, and he glanced toward one of the vendors. Maybe hunting tonight if we can't find some way to earn coin, he thought. We have a ways to go on what we have left.

16. - Top - End - #16

Zaar

Seeing Pau'la and the elves uncomfortable with the mention of mercenary work, Zaar attempts to be charismatic, "Don't think of it as mercenary work, think of it as being a Hero for Hire. Your intentions are what matter.". After a moment's pause Zaar gives a toothy grin, "And I intend to help as many as people as I can for as much coin as I can.", followed by a hearty chuckle.

17. - Top - End - #17

DruidGirl

Luna shifts her gaze slowly around the market. There are a lot of people around, but she scans slowly. She looks towards alleys, faces in crowds, and shadowy market stands. Looking for anyone watching them or anything out of the ordinary. "Our intentions seem to align at least to some degree." She felt her stomach growl as she blushed, [Elvish]"Phynn, We haven't eaten all day. Can we go...to our camp?" She glances at the half-elf expecting him to understand, but willing to trust.

Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show
    (1d20+5)[11]

18. - Top - End - #18

As Luna looks around she merchants going about their business, some loading wagons, others selling wares. Nothing out of the ordinary.

She does notice a group of men on horseback leaving through the East gate. She also spots an aging pot bellied man readying a wagon, tending to two draft horses, one of which is an old grey mare you hear him refer to as "Bessy". It looks like he is preparing to leave the city and is some kind of linen merchant..

Luna also notices a much finer carriage readying to depart the city. Four well armed guards in well kept breastplate are seeing to the horses as a finely dressed young noble woman and her handmaiden.

Spoiler
    Show

FYI it is mid to late morning.

As far as I can tell no one owns a horse in the group so you'll be hoofing it or hitching a ride.

I used your Passive Perception as it was higher and these are things you'd notice.
    Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-11 at 08:56 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

The expression on the bard's face moves from surprise to concern to curiosity and finally to a sort of bland neutrality. "I see" he says and is silent a moment. Then Luna's stomach growls, and Ercard stands up to look around. Unfortunately, all he can see is the crowd.

"Zaar, can you find us an inn? We should all get some second breakfast in our stomachs."

Then, with a look at Luna, he says "Come. We'll begin our acquaintance properly, and I'll trade you a feast for a tale."

20. - Top - End - #20

Zaar

Zaar keeps his nose open as he looks around, "Looks like he Drunken Pearl over there may have something edible, or we can head towards the city proper.". Zaar motions off to the east near the gate to a shoddy looking inn which is where the linen merchant is readying his wagon having likely been a patron.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn

Phynn looks to Luna and c0cks an eyebrow questioningly. Knowing her dislike of large groups of people, he'll follow her lead on this one.
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2015-12-11 at 10:23 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna looks towards the shoddy inn for a moment and nods, [Elvish]"Lets talk in there. I forgot to pick up a resupply of bandages and he has linen." The wood elf would smile and turn to the other group, "I would like that Ercard, but I'll let Phynn do most of the talking." She would start walking towards where Zaar had pointed.

Luna came beside the trader and spoke, "Hello, are you a linen merchant? I need cotton and linen if you don't mind." Luna would take care of the business she needed handing the man 2 gold and 5 silver for the material, "Thank you, Can you tell me something. How dangerous has the rode been for merchants lately?" She made small talk as they concluded business, but was really seeking information.
    Last edited by ncpunkin; 2015-12-11 at 04:31 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Myrl- Linen Merchant

The again potbellied man didn't notice Luna until she was quite close. When he did he jumped with a little start, wincing as he stepped, "Oww, didn't see you there, lass." When he notices Luna's concern about his pain, "Don't fret, gout is just acting up."

When Luna asks him about purchasing some linen and the safety of the road, "Sure, but we best be quick about it..." he groans as he crawls into the back of the covered wagon, "actually, that's why I"m rushing to get on the road right now. I figure if I can keep within earshot of that carriage, it'll be a lot safer trip, the roads aren't what they used to be and its an aweful lot of coin for hired protection, linen doesn't sell that well.... but I'm not sure Ole' Bessy will be able to keep up." he motions in the general direction of the heavily armed carriage that was getting ready to leave the city and you notice the affection for his old mare, they must have seen many season on the road together.

Spoiler
    Show

You are able to buy your supplies.
    Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-11 at 05:24 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

Ercard's mouth opens to say something when the only inn Zaar can find is a seedy dive at the edge of town, but he closes it and nods when the elves decide they'd rather not head further into the city. When Luna strikes out, he follows.

He almost walks right past when Luna stops at the linen merchant's cart, but catches himself and turns around in time to catch the conversation. For a moment, he seems pensive, but it mostly passes as he waits for Luna to finish her business. When that business is concluded, however, Ercard speaks up.

"You're right, there's little chance of keeping up with a rich carriage like that, but you wouldn't be headed toward Hulburg or Glister, would you? If you are, how would you like to hire your own protection for the price of six meals and letting some of us ride the cart here and there?"

25. - Top - End - #25

Myrl-Linen Merchant

Looking to the half elf, Myrl responds with slight smile, "About the only places the East gate does. Heading east, and going north at the fork for a stop on Gordondale before making way to Glister."

Myrl seems to ponder the question, "Well, that is an awefully fair price, I can't hardly pass it up." Hesitating for a second, "How do I know you aren't bandits that are going to rob me blind a soon as Thentia is out of sight?"

Spoiler
    Show

You can check the linked maps in the OOC or first post to see where Gordondale is.
    Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-11 at 07:39 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Pau'la was usually content to let Ercard take the lead in negotiations, but this time was different. She stepped forwards her emblem and holy symbol clearly visible she also pulled her family ring out of a small pouch on her belt "I swear on my honor as both a Devoted Paladin of Lathander as Lady Pau'la Trista of House Trista I will do everything in my power to keep you, your money, and your merchandise safe and untouched by any miscreants."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Would a Persuasion check be necessary? I don't think so, but...

27. - Top - End - #27

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna looks up to Ercard and a true smile flashes momentarily, "I'll return I need to fetch some oil." Luna checks a few stalls for a sturdy flask of oil and a healing potion among the stalls. She returns quickly enough to hear the exchange turn to the insulting. "and some of us are defenders of nature." Her annoyance may have shown through, but she was not used to be called a bandit.

The remark from Pau'la kept her from continuing on.

Spoiler: If I can find the potion
    Show

50 gp and 1 sp

Last edited by ncpunkin; 2015-12-11 at 08:48 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Myrl

Myrl is slightly taken aback by the strong response, "My pardons milady, Lathander's folk are good and honorable, I trust ya.". Myrl looks beyond Luna, Paula, and Ercard, "And who are the rest of your companions?" he eyes the half Orc suspiciously.

Spoiler
    Show

No check necessary

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn

I am Phynn, good sir. Servant of Rillifane Rallathil, wanderer, and companion of Lady Luna. We have but recently come to town, and look to continue moving along in the company of our new friends. We would be pleased to help you reach your destination."

He pauses for a moment as if he's done, then adds. He did mention in exchange for a few meals, right?

30. - Top - End - #30

Zaar

Meeting the merchant's gaze, "Zaar, you've got little to fear from me, unlike anyone that wishes you harm." Zaar's lips turn into a somewhat smile.

Myrl

The pot bellied man shifts how weights, obviously uncomfortable standing too long, "Pleased to meet you.". When reminded about the hot meal, "Best make our way inside, I smelt some fresh side pork and gristle.". Myrl motions the group inside for the agreed upon meal...

Anyone that is paying attention sees the carriage get under way.

Spoiler
    Show

You can RP with Myrl for a while, or we can fast forward a bit.