New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle II - I don't THINK Gara got robbed I KNOW he did.

So they put up the power ranger teaser. Apparently they are drawing specifically and solely from the original (american) power rangers. No green ranger, no white ranger, no ultra deluxe quantum brachiasuar cop turbo ranger. And yep, they made sure to mention the unique capabilities of the different zords, freeze rays, grappling hooks, lightning laser beams, etc etc etc. I am far less familiar with voltron, so im looking forward to next week when we get to see what they can do.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

So they're sticking to the weakest versions of the Mighty Morphin' crew?

That's pretty much the opposite of their norm.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    So they're sticking to the weakest versions of the Mighty Morphin' crew?

That's pretty much the opposite of their norm.
    But it's the original.. It's about the MMPW, not zeo or Turbo. There's not really a stronger version. It's not like using cell instead of perfect cell.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    But it's the original.. It's about the MMPW, not zeo or Turbo. There's not really a stronger version. It's not like using cell instead of perfect cell.
    The MMPR got way stronger over the course of the series. Remember, there were three total seasons of MMPR, unlike the seasons post-Zeo that were one and dones. Cutting out Tommy in itself is a major cut to their overall power since the Green/White Ranger was always the strongest. Ditto losing out on the Samurai Megazord and the other suped up versions the MMPR crew got, the Ninja powers, etc.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Troll in the Playground

Well Zeo was stronger, as are some of the later seasons.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

6. - Top - End - #846

The MMPR got way stronger over the course of the series. Remember, there were three total seasons of MMPR, unlike the seasons post-Zeo that were one and dones. Cutting out Tommy in itself is a major cut to their overall power since the Green/White Ranger was always the strongest. Ditto losing out on the Samurai Megazord and the other suped up versions the MMPR crew got, the Ninja powers, etc.
    The thing is, we are told they are stronger, but pretty much the only proof we have is the previous set being destroyed by the new bad guy. We dont see them go from say, destroying one building, to wiping out a block, its just a fancy new design and the formula for how fights play out remains identical. I do agree that losing tommy weakens them greatly, THAT they demonstrated quite clearly was a big power up. Its probably the whole thematic battle thing they enjoy so much. The original crew of voltron versus the original crew of mmpr. Any additions or upgrades that came along later are left out.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, you could say the same about a lot of anime too. Once you hit "blow up a skyscraper sized creature" territory it's hard to gauge the "true power" of any blast or other attack since the good guys, presumably, don't want to wholesale Man of Steel the protected city.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Well Zeo was stronger, as are some of the later seasons.
    Other seasons are arguable, but yeah Zeo is explicitly stated to be at a higher power scale than MMPR. Zeo is potentially THE STRONGEST season since the Zeo crystals have theoretically infinite power.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2017-03-29 at 07:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #848

Eh, you could say the same about a lot of anime too. Once you hit "blow up a skyscraper sized creature" territory it's hard to gauge the "true power" of any blast or other attack since the good guys, presumably, don't want to wholesale Man of Steel the protected city.

Other seasons are arguable, but yeah Zeo is explicitly stated to be at a higher power scale than MMPR. Zeo is potentially THE STRONGEST season since the Zeo crystals have theoretically infinite power.
    While its true that they dont always show the higher level of power, there is usually something done to demonstrate it. Even if its as simple as matching the guy who blew up an island and kicked the main characters butt earlier now being on the same level. Or there will be some sort of demonstration similar to the ichigo aizen fight where mountains are being casually obliterated by parried blows. And I understand WHY they couldnt do it in power rangers, lets face it, they dont have the budget to continually ramp up the effects to a wider scale until all battles happen in space to avoid destroying the planet with every punch. But when it comes to death battle, they rely on those casual destruction scenes to try and judge peak power levels. If all we get to judge it on is, "This monster that doesnt cause any more scenery destruction than previous monsters somehow obliterated the megazord, now here are your nextgenzords that can defeat him despite no obvious sign of greater power." then it doesnt matter much which version they go with as they all crush buildings as if they were oddly made of cardboard.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    While its true that they dont always show the higher level of power, there is usually something done to demonstrate it. Even if its as simple as matching the guy who blew up an island and kicked the main characters butt earlier now being on the same level. Or there will be some sort of demonstration similar to the ichigo aizen fight where mountains are being casually obliterated by parried blows. And I understand WHY they couldnt do it in power rangers, lets face it, they dont have the budget to continually ramp up the effects to a wider scale until all battles happen in space to avoid destroying the planet with every punch. But when it comes to death battle, they rely on those casual destruction scenes to try and judge peak power levels. If all we get to judge it on is, "This monster that doesnt cause any more scenery destruction than previous monsters somehow obliterated the megazord, now here are your nextgenzords that can defeat him despite no obvious sign of greater power." then it doesnt matter much which version they go with as they all crush buildings as if they were oddly made of cardboard.
    But if you look at it that way it does not even matter for the purposes of Death Battle. DB tries to gauge the strength of a combatant by the things they do on screen, often looking at environmental damage. If you say DB should look at Zeo, the result will be that they are strong enough to rip skyscrapers to shreds as if they were cardboard. If DB only looks at the original rangers the result will be that they are strong enough to rip skyscrapers to shreds as if they were cardboard.

10. - Top - End - #850

Quote Originally Posted by Seppl View Post
    But if you look at it that way it does not even matter for the purposes of Death Battle. DB tries to gauge the strength of a combatant by the things they do on screen, often looking at environmental damage. If you say DB should look at Zeo, the result will be that they are strong enough to rip skyscrapers to shreds as if they were cardboard. If DB only looks at the original rangers the result will be that they are strong enough to rip skyscrapers to shreds as if they were cardboard.
    Thats. My. Point. It doesnt much matter which version they pick because visually they all do similar levels of damage. There are some exceptions, such as knowing the green dragon zord is a relative match for the megazord by itself, meaning its incredibly powerful, but in general it doesnt matter if its mmpr, turbo, ninja, zeo, spartan, pirates, leviathans, old ones, tardis, whatever, because there is never any visual evidence of increased strength the death battle crew can draw from. We just accept that each incarnation is stronger than before and ignore the total lack of evidence.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seppl View Post
    They repeatedly use in universe statements of power to gauge thing though. Like how despite in series evidence showed Toph could not sense earth when she wasn't touching it they used a one off line in the commentary DVD commentary to say otherwise.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Banned

They repeatedly use in universe statements of power to gauge thing though. Like how despite in series evidence showed Toph could not sense earth when she wasn't touching it they used a one off line in the commentary DVD commentary to say otherwise.
    I think what's closer to the truth is that they cherry pick whatever supports the argument they're using at the time. There is no consistency to be had from Death Battle.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

To be fair. A lot of people cherry pick a lot of things so their side can win

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ogre in the Playground

Is this going to be that clip where the crew let their guard down and got captured again? Because I'll admit that the Death Battle research can be nonsense, but some people can say some stupid **** when they're upset too.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe it's just me, but I don't have any problems with Death Battle. Sure, it's not rigorous scientific study, but it doesn't have to be. They're comparing the uncertain statistics and abilities of fictions beings from different fictional universes. They're doing as well as they can be reasonably expected to.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't have any problems with Death Battle. Sure, it's not rigorous scientific study, but it doesn't have to be. They're comparing the uncertain statistics and abilities of fictions beings from different fictional universes. They're doing as well as they can be reasonably expected to.
    Not screwing up highschool level physics regularly is a pretty reasonable expectation, and they fall short.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    To be fair. A lot of people cherry pick a lot of things so their side can win
    Those people aren't usually a professional business that claims to be objective and scientific in order to get customers.

You'll note that one minute melee, or that other channel that decides the fights based off voting don't get nearly as much criticism. It's just Death Battle's attitude of "we scientifically proved ourselves correct and there's no room for argument" attitude that rubs people the wrong way. Especially since a lot of their "science" is questionable at best.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-03-31 at 03:25 AM.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know, thinking creating duplicate soccer balls needs the force to smash multiple soccer ball makes them look pretty retarded.

In short, they don't just make questionable decisions based on what happens on screen, they sometimes make downright retarded decisions.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

19. - Top - End - #859

RogueGuy

I don't think they claim to be professional. Besides, you have to look at the media you are consuming. Death battle isn't some high institution of academic learning. They are a group of entertainers. Asking silly questions. The degree of neediness from people to have these questions answered "rightly" astounds me.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    The degree of neediness from people to have these questions answered "rightly" astounds me.
    You realize you've just given us reason to ignore you in any VS. discussion ever, right?

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Not screwing up highschool level physics regularly is a pretty reasonable expectation, and they fall short.
    For example..?
    Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Those people aren't usually a professional business that claims to be objective and scientific in order to get customers.

You'll note that one minute melee, or that other channel that decides the fights based off voting don't get nearly as much criticism. It's just Death Battle's attitude of "we scientifically proved ourselves correct and there's no room for argument" attitude that rubs people the wrong way. Especially since a lot of their "science" is questionable at best.
    I don't know. Yeah, they kind of claim they use science but for as much as I can say, I never heard of them arguing with anyone and claiming to be anything else than entertainers. Let alone scientists.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I don't know, thinking creating duplicate soccer balls needs the force to smash multiple soccer ball makes them look pretty retarded.

In short, they don't just make questionable decisions based on what happens on screen, they sometimes make downright retarded decisions.
    You know, I usually expect playgrounders to not resort to the use of words like those..
    I'm not going to say I never disagree with their decisions but I'd certainly use another phrasing.

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    You realize you've just given us reason to ignore you in any VS. discussion ever, right?
    I'm sure kyber is devastated
    "What's done is done."

22. - Top - End - #862

RogueGuy

Meh, most people argue feelings anyway instead of logic in vs matches anyway. And I am devastated.. random people on the interwebZ will ignore me now.

Funny thing.. i meant to say nerdiness but my phones corrected it for me u guess.. it works either way.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, they claim to answer these debates "once and for all," but that's obviously just an exaggeration. Do you get pissed off when the local pizza place claims to have the best pizza in the world? It's entertainment and nothing more. Don't hold it to an unreasonably high standard and then get upset when it fails to meet that standard.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't get upset if the local Pizza place proclaims they have the best pizza in the world.

I do get upset when the local Pizza place proclaims to have the best pizza in the world, then serve me a pizza with undercooked crust, whole cloves of garlic and and peanuts instead of cashews like it says on the menu.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

But that's the entire reason we watch them!

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post

I think this is the key, people still watch it for the bad science and hilarious reasonings, but get annoyed by the attitude.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Titan in the Playground

For example..?

I don't know. Yeah, they kind of claim they use science but for as much as I can say, I never heard of them arguing with anyone and claiming to be anything else than entertainers. Let alone scientists.
    "Joules of force" comes to mind. There have also been a number of projectile calculations which ignored air resistance that had no business ignoring air resistance, and I'm pretty sure (but couldn't cite precise examples off the top of my head) that there have been a number of gravitational potential energy calculations that used the assumption of a constant gravitational force for things hurled high enough for that assumption to be completely terrible.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

You know, I usually expect playgrounders to not resort to the use of words like those..
    I'm not going to say I never disagree with their decisions but I'd certainly use another phrasing.
    I couldn't think of a better word to describe how stupid that decision was. What would you go with?
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Titan in the Playground

"Joules of force" comes to mind. There have also been a number of projectile calculations which ignored air resistance that had no business ignoring air resistance, and I'm pretty sure (but couldn't cite precise examples off the top of my head) that there have been a number of gravitational potential energy calculations that used the assumption of a constant gravitational force for things hurled high enough for that assumption to be completely terrible.
    Okay, first one if pretty stupid but I think we already had the talk about how some people, looking at no one particularly used to not using the metric system, has the same unit for force as for weight because I guess you can just slap "g" on it and it makes perfectly good sense. But yes, I'll give you that. Still, you said repeatedly, so let's go on.
    Yes, because considering air resistance is such an easy, high school level task. How much time do you want them to spend on discussing drag and viscosity of air and what not? Yes, air resistance is a thing, and a thing high schoolers know about, but properly including it in your calculations is not, and even then, I can't think of too many occasions where this would have been crucial, i.e. not one but I don't claim to know every episode inside out so likely there might have been some.
    Third... uhm.. like which one? The number of times something was lifted out of earth's gravity well must have been rather small and contrary to somewhat popular believe, lifting something to low orbit you don't "really" need to care about the decrease in gravity. Not for the kind of back-of-the-envelope maths the show does.

@Forum_Explorer You don't think stupid or idiotic would have been sufficiently degrading, you had to step into the realm of disabilities?
    Last edited by Kato; 2017-03-31 at 03:22 PM.
    "What's done is done."

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, first one if pretty stupid but I think we already had the talk about how some people, looking at no one particularly used to not using the metric system, has the same unit for force as for weight because I guess you can just slap "g" on it and it makes perfectly good sense. But yes, I'll give you that. Still, you said repeatedly, so let's go on.
    If you're going to do physics at all, you can get used to the metric system. This is particularly true for the sort of things that you generally only deal with when doing physics (temperature, area, distance, volume, and maybe pressure come up in day to day life*

Yes, because considering air resistance is such an easy, high school level task. How much time do you want them to spend on discussing drag and viscosity of air and what not? Yes, air resistance is a thing, and a thing high schoolers know about, but properly including it in your calculations is not, and even then, I can't think of too many occasions where this would have been crucial, i.e. not one but I don't claim to know every episode inside out so likely there might have been some.
    Acknowledging that it is in play and that certain numbers should be dramatically lowered or raised (e.g. the estimation on Scrooge McDuck's speed based on them intercepting a thrown object) would be nice. A fairly basic treatment using a F∝v or F∝v2 model fit to terminal velocity approximations would be nice. I'm not saying they should be breaking out the fluid mechanics, but high school calculus? Sure.

Third... uhm.. like which one? The number of times something was lifted out of earth's gravity well must have been rather small and contrary to somewhat popular believe, lifting something to low orbit you don't "really" need to care about the decrease in gravity. Not for the kind of back-of-the-envelope maths the show does?
    Low earth orbit is no big deal, assuming that you're willing to be about 5% off. Hurling something to the moon, or to the sun, or otherwise much further away makes it matter. On top o fhtat, every time things were thrown to low orbit (which is surprisingly often) my previous point about air resistance suddenly matters much more.

*Plus some stuff from electricity, but that's pretty thoroughly much all metric already, with the notable exception of the kWhr and MWhr.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2017-03-31 at 05:19 PM.

-- ChubbyRain

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

If you're going to do physics at all, you can get used to the metric system. This is particularly true for the sort of things that you generally only deal with when doing physics (temperature, area, distance, volume, and maybe pressure come up in day to day life*
    What's really great about metric is the units, i can easily switch to the ones used for calculations (generally the non prefixed ones, occasionally not) and then shift them back to a different unit to make it easier to read.

Then again, I'm an Electronic and Electrical Engineer, so most of my units are metric as the only option, but working with meters isn't that uncommon, and I use metric as my everyday system because it makes it easier, most engineers and physicists I know do (then again, we are English). I know one person who hates metric with a passion.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.