New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1530
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Eternal Winter IC

"An insult? Sorry then, I thought it was a title she gave herself or something", Johann apologizes and look at the three doors.

"Let's check this one ahead of us", he says and proceed to open it.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ogre in the Playground

"You want to run and hide... that's fine too. I just won't leave you anywhere to go."

The spirit sinks away from the pitted and corroded armor, subsuming into the house once again. With a tremendous rumble and shake, the walls begin to pull themselves away from the framing like giant arms and rip the roof from atop them, sending it tumbling into the snow outside.

The giant iron grate comes back to life and begins smashing straight down through the floor and rampaging forward, bursting through interior walls like kindling as it tramples.

The pillars of the foundation itself come alive, rising up and stomping down as if a bronco trying to shake it's rider. Only the rider in this scenario is the building itself.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr grabs up the sending stone, hoping that maybe it can be used to contact Johann. He takes a moment to compose his thoughts, then casts his mind out to whoever's on the other end.

Xander dead. Left message. House supported by pillars, source of fey's power. Have map, instructions. Destroy to save those trapped. Get Pelorites out, regroup, return.

He mournfully gathers the rest of Xander's things into his pack and hopes to get a response from those inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    ... See, that's classy. Super classy. You're not just taking Body of the Sun and turning it into a source of walking destruction; you're taking Body of the Sun and an unwitting pawn and combining them into a source of walking destruction and comedy. That's evil genius, right there.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Zephyr, if we don't hear back in a few minutes I think we need to begin work destroying the pillars. We have no time to waste. I have legitimate concerns as to how well the others are fairing. Do we have any items in possession that can possibly do what we need?"

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr gestures to Xander's glasses. "He said he can show us the way. But if I return to that house in my current state, it's as good as wasting Xander's sacrifice. Better to trust Johann to get the others out. If any of them yet survive, that is."
    ... See, that's classy. Super classy. You're not just taking Body of the Sun and turning it into a source of walking destruction; you're taking Body of the Sun and an unwitting pawn and combining them into a source of walking destruction and comedy. That's evil genius, right there.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Titan in the Playground

@Zephyr: You place the stone against your forehead and relay a message to Johann...

But it isn't Johann who gets the message. It's Silas.

Xander is dead? By Delleb, how?! Will rendezvous with you, Johann and the rest soon. Busy en route to Helheim with Reintse. Be careful, Zephyr.

@Dietrich: You listen to Zephyr's objections and then look up at Lugenheim...

Aenar has not returned for awhile and there is no sign of...

That's when Zephyr pushes you aside as a large single flies from the top of Lugenheim, covered in a blizzard and the broken piece of masonry destroys most of the stairs as it slides down, leaving a snowy trench.

The fight isn't over in there. They are still alive!

@Adalyse: Your soul has been devoid from emotions for over a hundred years...

But this monster has awoken your unbridled rage!

The Hall os Lugenheim are twisted and snapped as Johann's iron wall, now impossible to tell it was a wall at one point, is turned into a wrecking ball to destroy everything!

Iki Ryo will not have a place to hide in this hall of Lies. You will reduce everything to splinters!

Humbert and Aenar's bodies fall into the first floor and are utterly buried by your senseless destruction as the beams from above fall on your corroding body and dent as they hit the helmet.
    The stairs leading up are covered in rubble as Iki's voice echoes through the first floor.

So the Haunting has resorted to brute force. Break Lugenheim and the mighty Deceitful Winter will have no House to lord over, is that your grand plan, Adalyse...

You really are one hollow spirit. Go ahead and break as much as you can. You think I am concerned by it? Brute Force will never get you out of my Halls, little Haunting. If anything, you will lose yourself to despair and rage...

and then, you will be mine.

@Johann: Jacob shakes his head and smiles as Luna takes the lead.

"Luna spent a lot of time with Anzaril as a child. Even when the other dryads still fear Arrallae's Guardain of the Font, Luna would escape and fly for days to spend entire evening dancing upon Apalala's head under the mid summer's night moon.

It was Casyllyn's desire and that of Alexander to have Luna be a bridge of diplomacy between the mortal and fey realms...

Pity that not all fey share that mindset.""

Luna steps into the room you suggested and all three look at the spectral frogs which croak at the base of a giant painting:

Jacob walks up to it and scratches his chin.

"A classical representation of a sun goddess.... but is this the way Anzaril is?""

Map

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Titan in the Playground

Johann look at the painting and frown, "More like a mockery of a sun goddess, but after we saw Decarabia making a throne in Arralae's shape, this one is way better".

He looks around and look at them, "Let's check the other rooms, if they all have portraits, we may have a better idea where she may be hiding".

He is about to leave the room when sometjing strike him.
    An idea. He look at Jacob, "Jacob. You've got Fenvarel, right? Can you lend it to me quickly? Want to check something...".

He takes a look on Decarabia's sapphire on the hilt of Fenvarel and take it off. Iki Ryo wants those Unseelie Sapphires pretty bad, probably because they are a source of power of some sort. But Fenvarel turned it golden, so can it have become a Seelie Sapphire now? He pry the Sapphire off the hilt and remember how the fae used them: Uriti was said to have it on her forehead and so did Iki... Hmmm.

He decide to find how right he is on his whole Fenvarel's theory: that it was turning the evil power inside those gems into goodness, but diferent than he first thought, maybe Arralae isnt the one who is supposed to get the benefits of it...

He take a deep breath and carefully put the golden sapphire into his forehead, not sure what to expect.

He then expect any effect to take place before he rush back and open the right door and, if no opposition is found in the new room, go for the one in the the far left.

As he begin his tracking, Enigma put its head out of the Familiar Pocket and fly to his shoulder. "Help me out, my friend", he says as he cast a spell through Enigma,. A simple divination.

Spoiler: Detect Magic
    Show
    Will cast it on Enigma and have it concentrate and relay any aura she may find
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2016-05-30 at 06:29 AM.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Titan in the Playground

@Johann: You frown upon the painting of the sun deity and mention that Decarabia had fashioned a chair in Arrallae's likeness before facing all of you.

You are about to leave the room, when you ask Jacob for Fenvarel.

The Eternal Archer takes out the blade wieldied until recently by Humbert, which causes Luna to raise an eyebrow.

"What is that?""

"This is Fenvarel, Luna. Arrallae's sword. She never showed it to you because, well... she has never used it. Not in my presence, at least. Your aunt Uwellyn got to see Fenvarel in action a long time ago, when your father and his friends fought against one of Windemere's stray courtiers- the Child Stealer.

Now this may very well be the only memento we have of her... until we save her. Take a look, Johann.""

The sapphire is still embedded on the blade, and it has indeed turned golden. Decarabia had it on her forehead.

Adalyse mentioned Uriti had one as well.

Golarion had one on his belt. Hopefully Dietrich is still holding on to it.

And Iki Ryo most likely has one too. And she seems quite adamant to get her hands on it... but why?

It is not unknown for gems to confer exceptional power to the wielder, but how do these gems work?

You try and extricate the sapphire from Fenvarel, but the blade holds it tight in its hilt- it cannot be removed once placed in it.

Why, then, did Arrallae give you a weapon like this? and what significance do these sapphires have?

You bestow upon Enigma the ability to detect magic and head for the other two chambers.

The one to the left has another painting, with frogs at its base:

This is a representation of a Trinity, used in art many times. Three being a sacred number. The inherent interpretations vary from artist to artist, but usually to convey either a union or a separation.

Then, you head to the rightmost room and stop at yet another painting:

Luna frowns at this one.

"There isn't anything I like about it... seems desolate.""

Enigma caws and then speaks in Common:

"There is a lot of magic coursing through this room, Johann, but I cannot make beak or tail feathers about it.""

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Titan in the Playground

Johann give up on prying the sapphire from the sword and give it back to Jacob.
    "Maybe you can have a use for it, unless situation get so hard that I have to fight with sword and mighty", he takes notes on this brief experiment and hear Enigma's statement about magic in this room.

"I can see nothing out of extraordinary in the room", he says and focus and cast Detect Magic on himself and begin to analyze the magic auras in the room.

Spoiler: Spellcraft
    Show
    Detect Magic.
    Spellcraft (1d20+23)[41]

10. - Top - End - #1300

BlueKnightGuy

If Iki thinks we have fled, she might not notice if we set something up by those pillars. I was ok with retreat when we were all going. But the Pelorites stayed and Johann is Cuthbert knows where. If we don't try to sabotage the house, we should scout for the others. The idea of sitting here for whatever may come is one I cannot stomach.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Titan in the Playground

@Johann: Jacob puts Fenvarel back in the pack and listens to you.

"The day a wizard has to wield a sword is the day I know my life has come to a horrific end. Let us find a pattern here with the paintings.""

Jacob and Luna walk with you as your divination catches multitude readings all over the place.

"If the paintings are portals like the one we sued to get here in the first place, anything should go through it, right? If that is the case...""

The Eternal Archer aims his bow at the central painting and fires a single arrow at the painting of the sun goddess as the arrow burns upon contact with the canvas.

"A trap of some sort... let us try the other ones.""

Eventually, through magic and trial and error, you, Luna and Jacob find that removing the paintings from the walls and placing them in different orders reveals that the true painting was the one bereft of frogs in its room:

The one with the ruins.

The painting sucks you in and you reappear in an exact replica of the room where you fought Iki, but there are no bodies here.

No destruction...

But there is a trail of frogs that croak louder as wet footsteps cause Luna to whiff at the air and run like a giddy child out of the room.

"I knew I recognized your smell!""

It's Anzaril! And this is no illusion, either, as Luna runs towards the Fen witch and lifts her in an embrace, which causes the Unseelie to blush as she looks confused at both of you.

Jacob clears his throat as Luna releases her.

"Good to see you, Anzaril...""

The white haired fey looks at Luna and raises an eyebrow.

"Yeah... good to see you too, ranger. Why are you all here? Who is she?""

Map

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Titan in the Playground

"Anzaril! We got the get out of here. I have no idea how long the others will be able to fend off and distract Iki Ryo, so our best bet is to leave before she find us", he begin to walk toward them, looking at the room on his left as he pass by it, looking for any magic auras, "The girl is... Well, Raine".

Johann look at Jacob and send telepathically to him, "Dont leave my side while in these Halls. I can't afford to escape without taking you and Fenvarel along".

"Raine, dont run like that. Please stay close", he tell the half fey and look at Anzaril, "We came here for rescue, but things turned out pretty ugly and everyone is in need of rescue apparently. We found a frost giant who said you were his master and was waiting here, but I think it may be just an illusion or a trick from the Deceitful Winter. But I can explain everything once we leave here. Okay?"

He open his scrollcase and take off the scroll of Teleport, "Shall we?".

If no one interrupts or disagree, he'll proceed and teleport them out of the Halls of Lies.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Titan in the Playground

@Dietrich: Even though Zephyr may not want to head back in there, there are still signs of struggle in that House of Lies.

Xander may have sacrificed his life in order to get you, Aenar and the raptoran out, but he also gave you a way to stop the Deceitful Winter.

And so, you take the glasses from Zephyr and head back inside the House of Lies.

Nobody to greet you at the door, but there is enough rumbling inside to wake up the whole forest as you push the thick red wooden door and step inside...

The main hallway is relatively intact.

Relatively.

The right passage way has been cluttered with debris and dust. Something big happened here as you keen your eyes through your mask and grip your katana.

It's Adalyse!

her metal body lies strewn amidst the debris. heavy signs of corrosion litter her frame, but the sorceress isn't moving.

Map

@Johann: Anzaril looks at Luna as you mention her middle name.

"A half fey here? My sister's little war has called on everyone, hasn't it? Have the Seelie finally decided to send their support?""

Luna looks at you and Jacob and is about to say something, when she plays along.

"Yes, ma am! I am Raine, but no... the Seelie have not sent anyone. Not that I know of.""

Jacob nods in approval.

"We came here looking for you, Anzaril. Iki Ryo has turned out to be a very strong opponent. Last I checked, Humbert, Aenar and Adalyse were fighting that fey. I don't know what became of them.""

Anzaril looks around the hallways and dismisses her phantom frogs with a wave of her hand.

"Iki Ryo used to be a fey, Jacob. Not anymore. She made a pact with Iborighu and is now a Winterhaunt. Her heart as cold as a glacier, she is now an elemental. A manifstation of his malice in these woods.

She was annoying before... but thanks to my sister, she has become a lot more dangerous. We will be leaving Lugenheim, but not before I find the one hiding here.""

She then looks at you and chuckles.

"So the giant is still outside? Those brutes have a very weak mind. I did leave him outside to relay a message to you and the others. I will have to dispose of him once we have found the Song of Ruin. He is still hiding here.... that much I know.""

Jacob takes out his bow and looks around the rooms as Anzaril walks without a care through the dangerous halls.

"And how would you know this, Anzaril?""

The Witch of the Fens smiles at the Eternal archer and strokes her white hair.

"Simple, my dear Jacob- this used to be my domain. Lugenheim was part of the Court of Lies before my sister pulled it to the Court of Sorrows. Iki was my maid servant...

Didn't like her much then. Much less now.""

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Titan in the Playground

"Song of Ruin... I believe I've heard that title before but can't recall who have it. Another hostage? If yes, let's save him".

He look at the hallway and to her, "Did Lugenheim changed its layout since you left it? We could use some help navigating it. This hallway here: looks exactly the one the others are fighting Iki Ryo, but without the wall of iron I've cast".

He glance at the doors and ask Anzaril, "Have you checked those rooms already? The sooner we find this Song of Ruin the sooner we can leave this place".

He pet Enigma and exchange its momocle by the magic one the party had bought in their most recent trip, "Check on this ring, Enigma", he hold the ring found with the wintergaunt for the raven to analyze while they talk.

"Ah! Since you're Unseelie. Do you kbow anything about the Unseelie Sapphires? Iki Ryo is trying to get her hands on the one Adelyse took from Uriti and I'm trying to know why".

He enjoy the relative calm to call on Boccob's rod once more, granting him some degree of protection aggainst magic.

Spoiler: Rod of Reversal
    Show
    Reusing it
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2016-05-31 at 07:19 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1305

BlueKnightGuy

Dietrich puts on Xander's glasses and scans the room and Adalyse's armor for anything suspicious. He wants to get a closer inspection on the armor.

Spoiler: Spot check
    Show

(1d20+1)[18]

Assuming Dietrich sees nothing suspicious he'll inspect Adalyse's armor.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Ogre in the Playground

This will do nicely. Adalyse couldn't help but find it amusing that this Winterhaunt would think the one like her would become some emotional rampaging... thing. The debris created by the rampaging gate rumbled and slithered and twisted, moving into a mass that began to take shape as a colossal semblance of a humanoid. The gate continued it's rampage down the hall.

The new form groaned to life, standing to it's full height and began tearing down into the foundation of the house. Adalyse slid down from the destroyed second floor and into the first, extending her senses toward where she had sensed life earlier and moved that way.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Titan in the Playground

@Johann: You take out the Boccobite Relic and bestow upon you the ability to shrug off all possible magic.

Enigma studies the ring taken from the Icegaunt and blinks as the monocle is placed on him.

"It's magical, alright.""

Anzaril walks ahead of the three of you and places her hand on the wooden walls and doors of Lugenheim.

"The Song of Ruin, yes. His name is Nistle Swansong, a Ruin Chanter. Whenever fey wars occur, be it on this reality or any other, the Song of Ruin is always present. He treads a fine line between Seelie and Unseelie, serving no court at all.

And in return, no Court gets to claim him. Nistle Swansong gets the luxury of being invited to the closest Seelie and Unseelie Court meetings, gaining a bunch of information as a result.

I doubt he wants saving, though- given his nature, he must be getting a kick of what's happening here. He most likely sought a place to find refuge from me, Petunia, Uwellyn and Casyllyn...""

Anzaril stands before each room and waves her hand , dismissing the rooms as if they were puddles of water on the air itself.

"Back when my sister ruled the Fey Woods and before the War of Eternal Winter began between her forces and those of the Seelie, I was given Lugenheim. Being a servant to the Court of Lies, it was my duty to lead the weary fey that opposed my sister into this house and get them lost. Long enough for the Court of Sorrows to cement their position of power in the forest.

Amongst my servants, the Yuki O Na, Iki Ryo, was amongst the most devoted to serving such treacherous cause. her powers to deceive and get fey lost in Lugenheim turned murderous.

In time, I came to discover that she had become a servant to a deity of the Frostfell, Iborighu and disgusted by her actions, banished her from Lugenheim.

But by then, the war was over. The Verenestrian Pact was signed and I chose to stay at the site of Glacielheim, the Font of Life. Lugenheim became a distant memory for me and I effectively erased it from existence, however, my sister has brought the old halls back and placed Iki Ryo in command of this place.

Iki has changed it somewhat, but not enough to fool me. I do need to find the Song of Ruin, though. Something Arrallae mentioned about my sister when she first arrived has me concerned and if anyone knows, it would be the Ruin Chanter.""

Anzaril waves her hand again as a ripple in the wall shows yet another hallway and with a quick utterance, a myriad of ghostly frogs appear to lead the way.

However, the Fen Witch's expression changes from casual to concern as you mention the sapphires.

"Did you say the Unseelie Sapphires? Johann, that is impossible: Iki Ryo must've been lying. The Unseelie Sapphires would not be known to her. Not to her, or me, or anyone... they are a myth. And that is all."

Anzaril walks through the ripple and looks at the three of you.

"My frogs will lead me to the Song of Sorrow. You are welcome to follow me, but know that Iki Ryo may be there when I find him.""

@Dietrich: You walk into the main hall and find Adalyse's body prone and badly melted as you place Xander's glasses on and the room begins to swirl as an image of the Magus appears a few feet away and smiles as he adjusts his glasses.

Hello, friend. If you are seeing this message, and given the resonance felt by the spectacles, you are currently inside Lugenheim.

The first thing that must be acknowledge about this place: it runs on powerful illusory magic. some of it crafted by gnomes, making it exceptionally real.

The one who rules these halls, Iki Ryo, has not demonstrated a high degree of power on herself to hold the energies latent in this Hall, and because of that, we can exploit the three weaknesses of Lugenheim.

When you are ready, please head to the west wing and up the stairs. The glasses will record your movement and track your own spiritual resonance.

I shall contact you when you arrive at the desired destination.

Besides the crumbling east corridor, filled with debris, you walk up to the Adalyse's body and watch the helmet slightly separated from the rest of the breast plate-

There is nobody inside.

But you do find something shining amongst her possessions.

A sapphire. Just like the one taken from Golarion and handed to you by Uwellyn.

Map

@Adalyse: If Iki Ryo believes she can hold you down... she is sorel;y mistaken.

You are invincible. There is no power, in the Material or Above that can suppress your immense strength.

And as wood and iron are twisted and given a grotesque and colossal form, it becomes quite clear:

You can alone, end this entire War. You do not need anyone. The dead pelorites were a hindrance- a crutch.

No more positive energy. No more priestly turning.

Just the raw power of a Haunting unleashed!

And as you unceremoniously break through the debris and focus on any living creatures in the first floor, you come across one that inspects your own body, melted and slightly dented.

Dietrich. The samurai made it back inside, despite Xander having taken him out.

Not that you need his help- Johann's Wall of Iron has given you a form that can destroy this entire house!

All you need is a few well placed hits on the foundations- wherever they may be- and then...

That's when your immense and grotesque amalgam of a body becomes covered in ice and snow as the first floor disappears, as does the ruined second floor and you sense Dietrich no more.

You are outside, but not at Lugenheim's entrance.

This is a forest.

The Hall of Lies is a slightly visible speck miles away and covered by a blizzard as Iki's vice taunts you from the tree tops, always unseen and unsensed.

I told you there would be no way for you to be an annoyance to me, Adalyse. I am the master of my domain. Did you really think that you could use my own house against me? I can move anyone in Lugenheim anywhere I wish it so.

You will wander these woods, bereft of your adamantine body, which you seem so fond of. In time, the forces of Nature will freeze this contraption you have created and you will have nowhere else to run... much less possess.

And now that the chaff has been Lost, I have far more important matters to attend.

@Dante: With Silas gone, you watch a piece of the building which has demolished part of the stairs=, but easily avoided by walking around it as Eveline looks yonder at a distant star shining dimly against the blizzard and remains still for a few seconds before you tuck at her robes and begin ascent towards this fey house.

The Ruby Guillotine is out and ready. Whoever killed Gaula will have to answer to you.

And if it is whom you suspect it is...

The ascent is slow as the howling blizzard threatens to blow Eveline away, but you still manange to reach the top, which has a solid red wooden door blocking the entrance.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm weakened and with few spell power left, but if you think we can find the Song of Sorrow amd that he may help, then let's go".

Telepathically he contacts Anzaril, "Uriti had one such sapphire. Sometimes there is truth behind the myths. How bad would it be if Iki Ryo get her hands and one such gem?".

He then look at them all,"Should battle break aggainst a powerful enemy, regroup and I'll teleeport us out of Lugenheim, understood?"

He then follow Anzaril, ready for the battle to come.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr watches Dietrich go, carrying the fallen mage's glasses. He just sits for several long minutes in the snow, dealing with the aches and pains of his body, and his soul. Continuing to fight this winter war seemed the height of foolishness. He waits for Aenar to return, and in the long stretch of silence, he knows deep in his heart that something terrible has happened to the kindly father.

And he looks over his shoulder, wondering what form the messenger would take, and when it would finally find him.

Eventually he can stand idle no longer. If there was any hope of healing these vile wounds, he would need to rescue Aenar, or retreat to Justcrown, a journey that might take weeks without magical aid.

There was nowhere else to go but back to the house.

Making sure everything is tucked away in his pack, he takes to the skies, his path a bit wobbly as his hastily-restored heart works to support him. He glides towards the entrance, wishing he had brought a stronger source of fire than the flint and steel in his pack.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Titan in the Playground

@Johann: Luna and Jacob walk beside you as you contact Anzaril, who leads the way as her spectral frogs croak and hop ahead of all of you and inquire about the sapphires.

The Fen Witch lowers her head and slows her speed.

If what you say is true... I am really hoping it isn't. Those gems are not supposed to exist. Not anymore. They are from a time even before I and my sister were born. We Unseelie never speak of them. Not even in secret. For to bring them up is to mean certain death by the Queen of Air & Darkness herself...

I doubt very much Auveena would have gotten ahold of them. There simply is no way, but such a story would be best told by the Song of Ruin. Let us go.

The mention of these sapphires does not bode well- even Anzaril is reluctant to speak about them...

What mystery hides behind them?

The frogs leap around and eventually you reach a jade door with an emblazoned dragon, resembling Apalala and surrounded by white fire on wooden bracers.

"This used to be my personal chambers. Let us go inside.""

The room is large and decorated with tapestries depicting Iki Ryo.

One of them shows her swinging a scarf as a Aenar's head flies off his shoulders.

Another shows the Deceitful Winter raining lightning upon Humbert, who embraces an elven female, as both have their eyes shut and their foreheads touching each other.

Another shows Xander kneeling to Iki as this one places her hand on his forehead and the symbol of Iborighu drawn in purple above the magus' head.

The room has pools of water charged with arcane energy and an elaborate bed made of jade with large carp used as beams to support the bed as a figure whistles and kicks back on the bed, causing Anzaril to cross her arms and stamp her foot on the ground.

"Nistle Swansong...""

This fey does not seem well dressed for a room like this. His clothing is tattered and he smells of dust and earth, but one thing is clear:

He is not in this room. He is an illusion... or a projected image.

The Song of Ruin stops whistling and sits up on the bed as he smiles at those assembled, nodding to Anzaril.

"Hark! The Mistress of Lies has traveled through her House... but is it hers, really? I was told it belonged to your former maid servant, Iki Ryo. She has been a pleasant hostess: food, wine... wanton destruction. Those tapestries just keep showing up. A bunch of racked up kills, huh? Hehehehhehe.

Now, let's not get our cloaks in a twist. You travel with... hmmm. A half fey. Is your sister aware of a half fey in her domains? She hates them, you know?

And that must be the Eternal Archer. I heard your name before coming back to the Prime. Arrallae's Guardian, is it?

And who are you? A mage, of course... got a name?""

Luna walks up to the Song of Ruin and tries to get him out of bed, but her hands go right through him.

"Hands off, luv! I am not even here. But we can chat. You came here to chat, right?""

Luna looks at you and the others.

"This is the guy you were looking for, Anzaril? I don't like him.""

Jacob realizes that using his bow here would heed no results and crosses his arms.

"And how do you know my name... and what do you mean by before?""

@Zephyr: With Dietrich gone into the house again, you analyze your options.

Flying back to Justcrown will take awhile. Possibly days or weeks.

Aenar and Humbert have not returned. Neither has Adalyse.

It seems you'll have to face whatever awaits in Lugenheim with the samurai as you take to the skies and fly back inside, opening the door as distant steps behind you cause you to move in even faster.

Dietrich is here, wearing Xander's glasses.

The right wing has been completely destroyed and Adalyse's inert body lies on the ground as the samurai inspects it...

But no sign of the others.

Map

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr huffs to the samurai. "This seems the worst sort of foolishness. More than likely, Iki Ryo has already destroyed all of our companions. Arrallae's fate may have been decided this very day. Come on, let's get this over with quickly. Where does Xander want us to go next?" He looks ruefully at Adalyse's empty armor. Her nature tore us apart... and Iki Ryo was all too happy to prompt it to happen. He picks up the shell and puts it into his pack, to return to Justcrown with Xander's belongings.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ogre in the Playground

Dante contemplates the wooden door

Beyond here lies trouble

He would bother casting divinations to know whether opening the door would be a wise course of action or not, however, he doesn't really have a choice.

So he takes a deep breath, cast Divine Insight on himself, and open it.
    Last edited by Dudu; 2016-06-01 at 01:38 AM.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Nicollo Corleone - The Scoundrel Malconvoker

Dante Levasseur - The Crimsom Inquisitor (avatar) and his Lumi cohort, Eveline Dawn now being followed by an old acquaintance, Aurora, the voice of Barachiel.

Minaerva - The Wild Caller from Rokiri Island.

Requiem Macabre Doc

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Titan in the Playground

@Zephyr: What on Oerth happened in here?

half of Lugenheim has been taken down, but by whom>

And then you find Adalyse's adamantine body, badly damaged, and bag it, as well as Xander's belongings.

There are no signs of Humbert, Aenar, Jacob or Johann...

Iki probably got to them.

But with just the two of you, how will you even be able to take down the Deceitful winter... never mind the rest of Windemere's forces?

And at that moment, the thick and sturdy wooden door leading outside is opened with a grunt as two figures walk into Lugenheim:

This man has black hair with the occasional white lock here and there. He keeps his beard short, but the hair he lets fall loosely. Of average height and weight, he looks slightly stronger than the typical human, but not as strong as Dietrich or Humbert. His only really distinguishing physical feature is his red, crimson eyes.

That and a fully decked armor with a symbol resembling a ruby skull. As a weapon, this grizzled warrior carries a Court blade, a weapon associated with elves.

But this one carries the color of blood... or a ruby, depending on the perspective.

However, he is not alone:

A slightly shorter female clad in white tunics and a hood, covering her face, you can barely make an alabaster chin beneath her cowl as the woman grips a morning star in one hand and shuts the door behind both.

@Dante: This whole place is seething with it.

The very walls and floor are stained with malice. At an overwhelming level as you set eyes on those who live here:

A Raptoran. The Free City has a district for a few of them. Known for being aloof in nature, the few who have become civilized fly majestically above the tallest towers in the city, but none have ever been to a Jasidan temple.

Known for being good hunters, though.

The other one is a mighty looking samurai wearing a fearsome mask and a pair of spectacles on top of it:

The followers of Bushido are not unknown in the Free City. Many noble houses employ their service and are considered expert swordsmen.

But are these the ones who killed Gaula? And where is your mark? They are not registering any evil, despite being in a place filled with it.

Map

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Ogre in the Playground

At this point of the mess the two figures don't startle Dante anymore. They do draw Eveline's curiosity, but nearly everything in the material plane seems to draw her curiosity anyway.

The whole place reeks of evil and yet those two don't emanate any evil aura, so unsheathing his Ruby Guillotine might be too premature.

"Halt, both of you. Does the names, Adalyse, Humbert Gaula and Johann sound familiar to you?"

Eveline is actually concerned about them. They look battered and tired.

Spoiler: Speech
    Show
    I'm adopting firebrick in bold for speech. When in italic, it's his thoughs.
    Last edited by Dudu; 2016-06-01 at 02:02 AM.
    Show

Dante Levasseur - The Crimsom Inquisitor (avatar) and his Lumi cohort, Eveline Dawn now being followed by an old acquaintance, Aurora, the voice of Barachiel.

Requiem Macabre Doc

25. - Top - End - #1315

BlueKnightGuy

"I'm glad to have you back, Zephyr. Just remember, the worst sort of foolishness is one step short of legend."

Dietrich looks up as the door opens and the newcomer walks in. Picking up the sapphire and tucking it someplace safe he stands and takes a few strides to the side, away from Adalyse's armor and zephyr. Resting one hand on his katana hilt he keeps the other open by his side.

"The three you mentioned are known to us. They are our allies in our current duties, scattered throughout this forsaken house. I'm afraid time is critical, this is no place for travelers. Unless you came here for a purpose, leave swiftly while you can. If you have a purpose, I'm afraid I must cast aside courtesy and ask you to speak it now so that the Raptoran and I can continue. We must be moving."

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ogre in the Playground

"The thing is, Iki... Deceitful Winter... I'm going to name you the Winter Squatter. You are no master of this domain. You can not move me, nor can you trick me. You're illusions are real enough, even substantial to undead. That means they are pulled from the Shadow realm, and I know, for a fact, that you don't have that ability as a common eastern elementalist.

Even your little demigod couldn't help you make illusions from the shadow. Talk about a brutish thug. You'd be better off worshipping Auveena. At least she has some semblance of taste.

In the end you're just a pretender. Did you even know that illusions pulled from the shadow are actually made semi-real. That's what allows them to be interacted with. And since it exists, it can be destroyed. The law of entropy applies to it all.

I am, in fact exactly where I was only a few seconds ago."
    She seeped into, and dispersed into the illusion, seeking to interact with every bit of it at once.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Spellcraft check - (1d20+20)[33]

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Titan in the Playground

"Mage? Sure, but I prefer the term artist. The name's Johann Crawford. Pleased to meet you".

He look at the paintings, "Does those are real? That Iki Ryo has bested them I can believe, but I'm not very happy of it", he ask Sorrow Song.

"And if that's true then I think I'll have to change some plans...", he look at Anzaril, "Not sure if I should ask him about the sapphires".

And out loud he asks the former master of Lugenheim, "I take you have questions to him too, but I would like to make two other questions as well".

To the illusion fey, "Do you know what happened to the Myrdiam Stag? And do you know how that Windemere got that more strong since the last war?".

He taps his forehead and add, "In fact I've forgot a very important obe: do you know if the others who came with me are okay and where they where headed?"
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2016-06-01 at 11:00 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Ogre in the Playground

He sights in relief. The first beings he finds are allies.

"Aye, I do have purpose. For Adalyse, I have questions. Sir Gaula, I came to ressurect. And about Johann, I came to deliver a message. If you are still running, let's gather around, some spells will increase our chances."

Dante and Eveline aproach the two. While doing so, he does a few gestures and murmur some words. Sounds less like Johann and Adalyse spells and more like a prayer, and a swift aura of undeath takes him, too subtle for everyone but Dante to notice.

Eveline recites a prayer in lumi. It's brief, and when it ends, a circle of light engulfs you all and you can feel a portion of your fears are lifted as you feel a bit luckier.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Dante casts False Life on himself, getting (1d10+10)[13] temp HP. Eveline casts Persisted Recitation, granting to all four of us +2 luck bonus to saves, attacks and AC
    Show

Requiem Macabre Doc

29. - Top - End - #1319

BlueKnightGuy

"Humbert is dead, then? I guess I can't say I'm surprised. He was setting up for a last stand last I saw. I don't know where the others are, but we're making our way into the west wing and up a stair case. We'll find out more then. I'm Dietrich, the archer here is Zephyr. Rely on him, his arrows bring ruin to his enemies. Come, perhaps you can earn my trust and prove yourself an ally. Forgive me for being suspicious, but the last few days would have done the same to you. Follow me." Dietrich doesn't wait for a response, he jogs immediately to the west wing, looking for the staircase up. He hopes that he can rely on his instinct to trust the newcomers. He hopes it's not too late to save the others.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Titan in the Playground

@Johann: Nistle Swansong leans back on the pillows of his comfy bed and puts his arms behind his head as he crosses one leg over the other.

"Johann the Artist. I like the name. And those are real... or as real as things in this place can be, anyway. By now it should be clear that Lugenheim is not entirely real.

Although Iki is quite fond of slaughter, so who knows... those in the paintings could very well be goners by now.""

Anzaril walks towards one of the pools of water and stirs it with her hand.

He likely knows, but the Song of Ruin does not like giving straight answers. ask at your own risk. As far as I am concerned, he cannot attack, nor can he be attacked.

"Ask away, Johann. I will wait my turn.""

The Song of Ruin listens to your questions and looks at the ceiling, tracing some unseen drawing with his index finger.

"I will answer your questions, Johann the Artist...

Do I know what happened to the Myrdiam Stag? Yes I do.

And do I how Windemere got that much stronger since the last war? Yes I do.""

The Ruin Chanter stops doodling on the air and looks at you as he smiles sardonically.

"That's three questions out of two you were going to ask me. I will tell all of you one thing, though:

As much as I enjoy what is happening here, even I cannot stand idle to this degree of maliciousness. And I would like to walk around these woods again and watch both sides kick the tar out of each other, so....

Get me out of Lugenheim- even if you have to kill Iki Ryo- and I will let you know what you want to know. How's that?""

Jacob walks around the room and peels the tapestries off the wall.

"I couldn't agree more- that witch has killed a lot of good people. She needs to go.""

Luna keeps the Xander portrait and pockets it.

"We need to bring back those who have fallen... we need to get out of this house!""

Anzaril walks up to the bed and sits at its edge, looking at the pools of water.

"Has she used this room yet, Ruin Chanter?""

"No... no she has not. Why do you ask?""

The Fen Witch looks at you and then at the Jacon and Luna.

"Back in the days when I lived here, this room gave me tremendous respite whenever the forces of the Seelie decided to come knocking at my door... asking for their lost ones.

This room can accelerate Time, but only once for each using it. Iki's warping of Lugenheim may have altered much of the features of the House of Lies, but the power here remains.

Johann, you are a wizard. Lay on this bed for fifteen minutes. The powers contained in this room will clear your mind. Any spell you have prepared for the day shall be recovered. It will not heal your physical wounds, but as an arcanist, your mind will be refreshed.

The power of this room waned, so only one of you may use it. After that, we shall head down the pools here towards Lugenheim's Sanctum. There, we will fight and end Iki Ryo...

That is where we will find the real Song of Ruin, is it not true, Ruin Chanter?""

The fey on the bed stretches his limbs and yawns.

"You are after all, an Unseelie Courtier, Anzaril. You ought to know that. But I would hurry- Iki Ryo is not happy with whoever else is running around.""

@Dante, Zephyr & Dietrich: The crimson eyed priest seems to have your names down.

He is specially concerned with Humbert, and seems to know of Adalyse and has a message for Johann.

He doesn't seem like an enemy and the woman beside him, silent as she is, does not want to pick up a fight with you, as both cast a series of spells that bestow upon all of you tremendous strength and conviction.

@Dietrich: Guided by Xander's spectacles, you lead the group up the other flight of stairs and feel an immense chill running down the hallway.

This place has more tapestries depicting Iki Ryo riding a cloud dragon as she holds a fan in her hand...

The ceiling in this place isn't too tall- ten feet at most, but you can see a heavy looking door made of metal at the far end.

Xander once more appears through the glasses and speaks to you:

You must be in the western wing of the second floor. At this point, you will most likely face opposition. Iki Ryo has unleashed the powers of Iborighu here.

At the end of the hallway, you will find the first of three power structures that hold Lugenheim together. I would suggest using magic to get rid of it, but barring that, excessive force ought to accomplish the task.

Good luck

@Dante: Eveline taps your shoulder and points at the tapestries, as the woman depicted in them smiles and begins to fan herself.

The winds in the hall take on the form of a blizzard as two ogre sized creatures come into existence:

These creatures are columns of purple ice brought to life, with monstrous claws and a vaguely bird like face.

Their mere presence causes the walls and floor to ice over as both stand defiant against all four of you.

Spoiler: The Check
    Show
    Know. Arcana to ID them

Map

Round 1

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Dante & Eveline
    Zephyr
    Dietrich

Ice Beasts x2

@Adalyse: The cold threatens to crack your entire colossal body as Iki's voice is no longer calm, but rather high pitched and angry as the trees sway back and forth.

I am a what??? I am the ruler of the Hall of Lies! You miserable little ghostling. You think those dead far from here are an illusion? Huh?

And how dare you lecture me on who to worship- I have looked at your book's cover... not the most loved deity around, is he...hehehhehehhe.

And the gall to call me a pretender... I am going to make your immortal existence utter suffering, Adalyse!

Iki Ryo may have power, but it isn't infinite, unlike yours.

And although a mere wielder of elemntal magic, Iki ryo has managed to twist the hall you are in into a complex illusion.

You are not far from Dietrich... but your Lifesense cannot feel him through the veil.

Now if only you could break through this shadow cage...