New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread

So far most people seem to support either +6 or +7, with a few asking for lower LA's. +6 seems a fitting compromise to me here.

No change to LA.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-11-12 at 02:25 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

2. - Top - End - #572
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Well, after the highes LA assigned in the thread next i supose we move on a LA+0 fest, given how crappy is Elemental HD

Altough i expect the 3 lesser elementals of each kind can still give us some decent critters for they ECL.
    Last edited by Daedroth; 2016-11-08 at 05:28 PM.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daedroth View Post
    Altough i expect the 3 lesser elementals of each kind can still give us some decent critters for they ECL.
    Savage Species gives us some baseline LAs for the Large elementals, at least the 3.0 versions. We're looking at +6 for the Air one, +5 for Earth, +6 for Fire, and +5 for Water. Naturally, giving ECL14 to a CR5 creature is absolute nonsense, but the way the ECL scales is interesting - the first 4 levels give 4 hit dice.

Would I play a Small or Medium elemental at LA0? Let's just say that 100ft perfect fly speed or earth glide are worth a hell of a lot more than "make stuff wet" or "deal negligible fire damage."
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #574
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I think LA 5 is reasonable, 6 feels to high but it appears i'm out voted.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Elemental, Air

After browsing a few hundred pictures, I've come to the conclusion there's two ways to portray air elementals: 'mist person' and 'tornado person'. Ironically, both these things are closer to water than air.

All air elementals have air mastery, which gives airborne creatures a whopping -1 on attacks and damage. They can also turn into whirlwinds, which is actually pretty nice as long as you weren't planning on making AoO's.

Small Air Elemental

The smallest size these critters come in, at 2 RHD. Elemental RHD alone are pretty bad, especially air RHD, but they do give some useful immunities. Ability-wise, smalls trade 6 points of intelligence for an equivalent dexterity bonus.

Small elementals enjoy (perfect) fly speed, as well as some natural armor (the logistics of which I won't dwell on). The 1d4 slam is better not used, but the two bonus feats are very welcome on the kind of build that would want to be this monster in the first place.

Flight is a major ability at low levels, especially at this maneuverability. The whirlwind is nearly useless, but the two free feats are pretty huge. +1 LA for now, though I do admit it's close to +0.

Medium Air Elemental

The next step up is 4 HD.

Mediums have larger physical bonuses and a size increase: apart from that they're very similar to small elementals. I guess one could make a case for +1 LA, but I'm assigning them +0.

Large Air Elemental

8 HD this time. The DR is pretty neat, but the increase to ability scores is much smaller compared to the small --> medium jump. The extra slam isn't that impressive either. I doubt there will be many medium creatures to whirlwind around by this level, too. -0 LA.

Huge Air Elemental

The 8 HD increase should be enough to write this one off: if it isn't just remember this thing's ECL is more than twice its CR. -0 LA.

Greater Air Elemental

Extra DR? I'm sure this'll help me fight solars, titans and great wyrms. Did I mention all three can already summon multiple GAE's? -0 LA.

Elder Air Elemental

If I'm not mistaken, the 'update' here is a net +6 to stats for three extra HD. -0 LA.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-11-14 at 12:20 PM.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

6. - Top - End - #576
    Barbarian in the Playground

I agree with the assigned LAs. It sounds like Elementals are going to go the way Dragons did.

7. - Top - End - #577

Quote Originally Posted by almondsAndRain View Post
    I agree with the assigned LAs. It sounds like Elementals are going to go the way Dragons did.
    Honestly, Small air elementals are much more playable than most if not all wyrmlings.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Honestly, Small air elementals are much more playable than most if not all wyrmlings.
    That's probably true.

I think I agree with these LAs. Flight is very good, but it would be crazy not to put air elementals at a lower ECL than e.g. imps.

9. - Top - End - #579

Going through the index, I realized it might be nice to have some kind of note on the +0 LA creatures to distinguish ones balanced at that LA, and ones that are far too weak even with LA +0. Consider for example someone browsing the list for ideas of what monster they can play and seeing an Adult Green Dragon and a Pit Fiend both at ECL 20. "Oh, Mr. Rebalance Guy has deemed that they are the same strength" the reader might think, only to have their hopes savagely dashed in-game.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

10. - Top - End - #580
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Going through the index, I realized it might be nice to have some kind of note on the +0 LA creatures to distinguish ones balanced at that LA, and ones that are far too weak even with LA +0. Consider for example someone browsing the list for ideas of what monster they can play and seeing an Adult Green Dragon and a Pit Fiend both at ECL 20. "Oh, Mr. Rebalance Guy has deemed that they are the same strength" the reader might think, only to have their hopes savagely dashed in-game.
    How about calling that LA −0? (as in, it should have negative LA, but they do not exist, so we write a 'fake' negative that's also positive)
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2016-11-11 at 08:16 AM.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Bugbear in the Playground

LA (eewww...)
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

12. - Top - End - #582

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    How about calling that LA −0? (as in, it should have negative LA, but they do not exist, so we write a 'fake' negative that's also positive)
    LA -0, I like it.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

13. - Top - End - #583
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was thinking "LA <0" FWIW

14. - Top - End - #584
    Titan in the Playground

"-0" appeals to the mathematician in me.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

Several creatures have had their LA updated to '-0' as per the community's suggestion. A short explanatory text has been added to the first post.

Spoiler: New -0 LA creatures
    Show
    -Animated Object (Large, Huge, Gargantuan, Colossal)
    -Arrowhawk (Adult, Elder)
    -Athach
    -Abyssal Greater Basilisk
    -Belker
    -Bugbear
    -Chaos Beast
    -Chuul
    -Delver
    -Derro
    -Destrachan
    -Digester
    -Dinosaur (Elasmosaur, Megaraptor, Triceratops, Tyrannosaur)
    -Dire Animal (Dire Bat, Dire Bear, Dire Boar, Dire Lion, Dire Shark, Dire Tiger, Dire Wolf)
    -Displacer Beast Pack Lord
    -Dragons (All except white, brass and silver wyrmlings)
    -Air Elemental (Large, Huge, Greater, Elder)

If you feel like a monster was wrongly given this assignment, or another monster should be added to the -0 LA list, please help us help you by saying so.

Extended signature!

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

Great job, Dire! It saddens me that the Rakshasa won't be coming up until much later(especially since I really need it for a comic I'm making), but this is still really good. Hmm, wonder how a Succubus Bard would be...
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think I ever asked at the time, given dragons' near-universal ability to be let down by their abilities vs. their HD, do you think that Pathfinder's dragons only getting 2 HD per age category would make any significant difference?

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    I don't think I ever asked at the time, given dragons' near-universal ability to be let down by their abilities vs. their HD, do you think that Pathfinder's dragons only getting 2 HD per age category would make any significant difference?
    That'd vary greatly depending on the individual dragon's abilities, which are (if I remember correctly) also different in pathfinder. To come to a sensible conclusion, I'd have to actively assign all pathfinder dragons a proper LA. I don't think it'd make too big a difference, though.

By the way, doesn't pathfinder have a rule that any monster can be played as long as its ECL is no lower than its HD or CR?

Extended signature!

19. - Top - End - #589
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    By the way, doesn't pathfinder have a rule that any monster can be played as long as its ECL is no lower than its HD or CR?
    The basic pathfinder rule is that its ECL is equal to the higher of CR and HD. And if the CR is higher than the HD you gain an extra level to help make of for it every few levels until you have levels+HD equal to ECL. So yes?

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

Elemental, Earth

Just noted that according to their description earth elementals look like the material from which they're conjured, which I guess is pretty cool. The only problem: what happens when you try to summon one on a ship, or up in the air?

Small Earth Elemental

Smalls aren't that bad, to be honest. Their speed sucks, but their ability adjustments are fairly nice (also atypical for a small creature). Earth Mastery is pretty useful at low levels, then becomes a horrible liability as everything gets a fly speed.

Push is basically a watered-down version of Improved Bull Rush... which will be near-useless on a small creature. Also, bull rushing just isn't that strong.

More interesting is Earth Glide. It's a very potent exploration tool, getting the elemental past about everything except for metal-lined walls.

In the end, I'm going to refrain from assigning a positive LA here. Small earth elementals pretty much only have Earth Glide going for them, which while nice isn't enough to make them a viable choice. Remember: any druid can just get a small earth elemental companion and have it scout. +0 LA.

Medium Earth Elemental

Again, no positive LA. The strength score is swanky, but a well-built mineral warrior is surpassing you in most ways by now. -0 LA.

Large Earth Elemental

8 RHD should be a pretty good deterrent. -0 LA.

Huge Earth Elemental

The party caster has been able to summon those for a few levels now. Pass.

Greater Earth Elemental

Justifying my assignments is overrated! -0 LA for you!

Elder Earth Elemental

I like your alliteration, have -0 LA.

Extended signature!

21. - Top - End - #591
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I made a negative LA thread for those poor LA-0 souls, if someone is interested:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ead&p=21399451

By the way, Dire Stirge, were you considering the use of Sovereign Archerypes on dragons?
    Last edited by Daedroth; 2016-11-17 at 11:15 AM.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

Elemental, Fire

I considered writing a long post on the logical (im)possibilities of living fire that doesn't need fuel or oxygen here, then I remembered magic.

Small Fire Elemental

These guys are pretty cool (ironic, I know). The net loss to stats hurts, but two free feats are always welcome and their slams have a nice rider effect. 50 feet is as good as it gets for small creatures, and the fire subtype will probably be a boon overall.

However, is all this worth 2 subpar RHD? A fairly typical melee character is still outdamaging them, and fire elementals lack much utility beyond setting stuff on fire. +0 LA is fine.

Medium Fire Elemental

More fire damage! Also stat boosts. I'd say +0 still works here (with -0 looming ever closer).

Large Fire Elemental

Aaaaand RHD takes over. Back to the realm of -0 LA with ye!

Huge Fire Elemental

Elemental Purgatory aaaaaaaaaaw yeah! -0 LA.

Greater Fire Elemental

Homework for today, sketch the graph A = 2m where 'A' is my annoyance (measured in kilogroans) and 'm' is number of boring -0 LA monsters.

Elder Fire Elemental

Amusing observation: fire and air elementals are amongst the few creatures that get more dextrous when increasing in size. Not that it'll save them from -0 LA.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-11-18 at 04:12 PM.

Extended signature!

23. - Top - End - #593
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Dire Stirge, are you sure a small fire damage is worth something? Energy Resistance 5 brings that extra damage to nothing/almost nothing.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Reflex negates for 2.5d4 damage (over time) on a base-1d4 slam attack is definitely less valuable than the earth elemental's flat +4 damage (from +6 Str) on a base-1d6 slam attack.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Reflex negates for 2.5d4 damage (over time) on a base-1d4 slam attack is definitely less valuable than the earth elemental's flat +4 damage (from +6 Str) on a base-1d6 slam attack.
    Fire elementals don't only set stuff ablaze with their touch, they also deal a set amount of fire damage on each attack and deal damage to foes that strike them with natural weapons or unarmed strikes.

Extended signature!

26. - Top - End - #596
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Fire elementals don't only set stuff ablaze with their touch, they also deal a set amount of fire damage on each attack and deal damage to foes that strike them with natural weapons or unarmed strikes.
    So one possible fix is allowing them to set things on fire by making save aginst their hardness
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    So one possible fix is allowing them to set things on fire by making save aginst their hardness
    What do you mean 'one possible fix'? On that note, what does 'making a save against their hardness' even mean?

Extended signature!

28. - Top - End - #598
    Banned

I think Khadgar was under the impression that fire elementals could not set objects on fire. He therefore proposed a fix which involved them being able to do so, as long as they made a save against the object's hardness.

Of course, that's not how hardness usually works, but it was proposed as a modification to the rules.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiri View Post
    I think Khadgar was under the impression that fire elementals could not set objects on fire. He therefore proposed a fix which involved them being able to do so, as long as they made a save against the object's hardness.

Of course, that's not how hardness usually works, but it was proposed as a modification to the rules.
    Thanks tiri i was posting from phone and didnt think what i wrote
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

Elemental, Water

I was very tempted to use Extract Water Elemental's image here. We need something more interesting than waves with faces!

Small Water Elemental

Unsurprisingly, water elementals are swift swimmers. They have a pretty neat natural armor bonus, bonuses to melee stats, the ability to extinguish fires both magical and mundane, and the horribad Water Mastery. -4 to attack and damage rolls if your foe is touching the ground is very annoying.

Water elementals can also turn into vortices, which is much like an air elemental's whirlwind (to the point that it uses Whirlwind's terminology in places), but ultimately much less useful as it only works underwater.

I suppose water elementals may be worth playing in a handful of games, though. +0 LA, but only barely.

Medium Water Elemental

Vortex is inferior to Whirlwind, melee ability is inferior to an earth elemental's... I'm not seeing any reasons to play those, especially not with extra HD. -0 LA.

Large Water Elemental

So yeah, everyone knows elementals are doomed to -0 LA from large size on, so I'm very surprised if anyone is still reading this.

Huge Water Elemental

On the upside, I looked ahead and there doesn't seem to be another string of similar, high-HD, low-CR monsters for quite some time.

-0 LA, by the way.

Greater Water Elemental

Doesn't seem that great to me. -0 LA.

Elder Water Elemental

I am seriously wondering whether putting '-0 LA' here is worth the effort. I mean: it's not like anyone doesn't know it already.

And with that, we finish the last elemental! Next are elves: that ought to be easy.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-11-20 at 09:38 AM.

Extended signature!