New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Banned

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread

Why do race hit dice even exist?

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    [citation needed]

It just says "Creatures with 1 or less HD". Where does it say that only applies to creatures that naturally have 1 or less HD?

(Personally, I'm of the "if you get level drained and then level up again, you need to take levels in the same classes you took before getting level drained" school of thought, but that's a house rule.)
    It looks like you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Novolin View Post
    Because monsters need a way to get stronger without taking class levels.
    Last edited by Celestia; 2017-01-06 at 10:47 PM.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

In the Gnoll's case, they are the logical progression of "monstrous" humanoid's (IE: not a core-race) for PC's to fight. They have RHD so they have a baseline difficulty built in. General progress is Kobold=Goblin -> Orc -> Gnoll -> Lizardfolk probably. Remember, the designer's were making a system where lots of things were possible that weren't in previous editions. They made them good as monsters/antagonists and then remembered that they wanted to make everything 'playable'. So they slapped LA on them, since their stat mods were better and they had Natural Armor.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

4. - Top - End - #994
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Another reason was so that things could work well as enemies. Creatures with only class levels would be at least as deadly as the PCs. The designers needed something to make the PCs look good, so they made crappy creature-type HD.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Banned

Another reason was so that things could work well as enemies. Creatures with only class levels would be at least as deadly as the PCs. The designers needed something to make the PCs look good, so they made crappy creature-type HD.
    Of course, they were so bad at balance that some types' Hit Dice turned out better than certain actual classes.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiri View Post
    Of course, they were so bad at balance that some types' Hit Dice turned out better than certain actual classes.
    I don't know what you're talking about. Fighter is way better than dragon HD. Fighters get eleven bonus feats. Eleven! And they get the same feats as everyone else. They're, like, twice as good as a regular character! In fact, fighters might even be too powerful...

7. - Top - End - #997
    Ogre in the Playground

In my Pathfinder game, one of my players had a long-standing gnoll cohort. In the end, I just scrapped the gnoll's RHD and allowed him to level normally.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Titan in the Playground

Gnome

Another player race! Another wacky picture!

Rock Gnome

Literally the default PC race. Unique feats and PrC's (hint hint shadowcraft mage, hint hint blade bravo) make this a good choice for many builds, so the +0 LA shouldn't have to be explained.

Forest Gnome

If it weren't for whisper gnomes, I bet those would be seeing a lot more play. Continous Pass Without Trace, an extra hide bonus, extra bonuses against common foes, and Speak With Animals has a few types switched around and becomes at-will; all this at barely any cost compared to regular gnomes. Even so, +0 LA is plenty.

Svirfneblin

Svirfneblin, or deep gnomes, are different from their surface cousins in a number of notable ways. The ability scores are almost completely changed (though stay roughly equal in power), SR has been added, SLA's with a huge bonus to the save DC are tacked on, long-range darkvision is now usable... In addition, a large number of granular bonuses are gained, as well as blanket bonuses to AC and saving throws. Svirfneblin also have a number of race-exclusive feats (Summon Earth Elemental is pretty nifty) while still qualifying for all regular gnome goodies.

The official LA of +3 is (obviously) far too much. +1 is probably a better assignment, though they will probably be on the strong side of that LA.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2017-01-09 at 02:06 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

9. - Top - End - #999
    Ogre in the Playground

For deep gnomes, I think even LA +2 is a bit harsh. As we know, SR is both a curse and a blessing. Having a Dex modifier instead of a Con one is quite a setback, and combined with the -4 in Cha, somewhat offsets the Wis bonus, I'd say. Darkvision is neat, but will one day be offset by magical items anyway. The SLAs are nice, as well as the permanent Nondetection. I'd advocate for a +1.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Ogre in the Playground

I know I sure as hell still wouldn't play a deep gnome at +2. Virtually every other gnome is better than that.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I know I sure as hell still wouldn't play a deep gnome at +2. Virtually every other gnome is better than that.
    I agree, but I'm torn in terms of other folks. LA+1 makes it too powerful for most lower-op games, since it does get some really nice things (1/day Blindness, +4 AC, about the best SR that's commonly available, +2 to saves), and in a higher-op game it's also not terrible (constant Nondetection, 1/day Blur, DC bonus). I don't think that those benefits are worth two caster levels, nor are they super worthwhile for mundanes (especially with the statline -- investing in dex-to-dmg is expensive). I'd be fine with it at LA+1 in a higher-op game, and LA+2 in a lower-op game.

It just doesn't scale very well past low levels -- Nondetection's DC can't be boosted, nor really can the SLAs. The SR becomes more hassle than it's worth at higher levels and in higher op. I'd say this is a great race to exemplify the benefits of LA buyoff.

The statline makes these an okay Cleric or Druid (or Monk, perhaps), but I personally wouldn't recommend it if it costs two caster levels. At LA+1, it's possibly worth considering.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Be my guest.
    Neat. Don't expect anyone to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    As for the ISS, bad comparison; it has a higher terminal velocity and does not require pressurization to not die in space. The person at 250 miles will fall back to ground, but as a corpse. (I did say relevant speed). As an interesting side note at 250 miles there is an approximately 3% reduction in the effect of Earth's gravity compared to the ground.
    I...don't think you understand the relevant science. As a reminder, you said "...it will land you so high up gravity will not pull you toward the surface at any relevant speed." Terminal velocity doesn't matter; all that matters is the acceleration of gravity and velocity of the object, both relative to the body in question (ie, the Earth). For more information from someone who used to work at NASA (admittedly not plotting rocket trajectories, but he plays KSP so that should balance out), look here.

Quote Originally Posted by Various
    I disagree with your assessment sver...sivir...of dark gnomes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Various others
    Well, I disagree with your assessment of whatever they're called.
    Yet again we have an example where some kind of notation for borderline LA's would be useful. Though the difficulty a character would have in pronouncing their own race's name is a serious disadvantage; this makes the svirneblin clearly deserve LA +1 in my books.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Neat. Don't expect anyone to see it.
    Dang. Don't you know that I get paid by the view?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I don't think svirfneblin really get anything really noteworthy other than SR and +4 AC (well, +6 if you factor in size and dex). All the other stuff is just a heap of +1s and +2s, which aren't worth a class level. Still, that SR is high enough to be relevant (50% shot of your enemy wasting a spell? neat!) for awhile, if not for the whole game, so I think they should be more than a +0 on that alone -- not that every party necessarily encounters spellcasters very often, making it a tad situational, plus the whole thing where SR is a double-edged sword. Now that I talk about it, I'm almost convincing myself to suggest a high +0 (I'd probably still strongly consider playing an LA+0 warforged or lesser planetouched over even an LA+0 svirfneblin). +2 is definitely too high.

So all in all I concur with those saying +1 for svirfneblin.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Titan in the Playground

I yield before the masses! LA changed to +1.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tiri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about. Fighter is way better than dragon HD. Fighters get eleven bonus feats. Eleven! And they get the same feats as everyone else. They're, like, twice as good as a regular character! In fact, fighters might even be too powerful...
    Well human, animal, aberration, giant, and other crappy types were made so the PCs can *look* good. Dragons, outsiders, and magical beasts are there so the the PCs can *prove* they're good.
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Banned

Well human, animal, aberration, giant, and other crappy types were made so the PCs can *look* good. Dragons, outsiders, and magical beasts are there so the the PCs can *prove* they're good.
    Unless the PCs happen to be fighters or something like that. Then they just look bad.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Ogre in the Playground

Had a thought about Gnolls and Racial Hit Dice.

If a DM were to allow a gnoll PC to take the Otherworldy feat from PGtF at 1st level, those racial Hit Dice would become Outsider Hit Dice, and then the Gnoll would actually be decent (Fighter BAB, Rogue Skills, Monk saves).
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    Had a thought about Gnolls and Racial Hit Dice.

If a DM were to allow a gnoll PC to take the Otherworldy feat from PGtF at 1st level, those racial Hit Dice would become Outsider Hit Dice, and then the Gnoll would actually be decent (Fighter BAB, Rogue Skills, Monk saves).
    So, the gnoll sucks so much that it either has two horrid HD or two okay HD with negative one feat? Yeah still looks like a loss either way.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ogre in the Playground

With no racial Hit Dice, they're merely weak, so I also like to give them Pathfinder's Carrion Sense (a limited scent ability, which only functions for corpses and creatures with 50% or fewer hit points remaining). The default gnoll sucks.
    Last edited by Caelestion; 2017-01-10 at 05:48 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Pixie in the Playground

What do you think a huecava would be?.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemongrove View Post
    What do you think a huecava would be?.
    This thread goes in alphabetical order by book, still in the Monster Manual. The huecava is likely a long ways off for being rated.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I believe I've mentioned WotC's hate of goblinoids before. Guess what? It still applies here.

Goblins have ability adjustments even worse than the half-orc's, are small (further restricting class options), and have barely any racial support (I counted one feat and one PrC). Their racial traits consist of the aforementioned ability adjustments, darkvision, and a +4 bonus to two middling skills.

That said, I don't really have any options but +0 LA. Goblins are bad, but not bad enough to warrant a -0.

Extended signature!

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Next come the golems, with huge downsides (The berserk ability of lower HD ones is the worst offender) and upsides.

I think they would be interesting and will generate some debate
    Last edited by Daedroth; 2017-01-10 at 02:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Titan in the Playground

Berserk has to be worth a ⚠.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Berserk just seems like it's describing the actions of a typical PC.

Also, it would appear that by RAW, a clay golem's % to go crazy never resets. After 100 rounds of combat in their lifetime, they are guaranteed to go bonkers.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2017-01-10 at 03:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Yeah, but on the other direction, advicing players to only play them with a gentle DM XDDDDDD

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Ogre in the Playground

As I recall, the blue (psychic goblin) was even saddled with a +1 LA, because level adjustments were also imposed to highlight how rare a creature was.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    As I recall, the blue (psychic goblin) was even saddled with a +1 LA, because level adjustments were also imposed to highlight how rare a creature was.
    Perhaps they were so rare because their LA gimped their chances of survival that much.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    You're joking, right?

Actually ... if you're not joking and that's true, that might explain a lot about WotC's habit of assigning excess LA, although I admit, I thought that was pretty well explained by WotC's dubious grasp of game balance and the actual value of various abilities and capabilities.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show