New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Game of Thrones, Season 6

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I saw that complain a lot, but why people assume it was Ned?

The book says the old servants and nanny were telling the Bran massaged and glorified version of old stories, which would naturally mean leaving out details like "and then the great knight was brutally backstabbed for 12d6 damage" even if Ned actually told anyone how it went...

Speaking of Dayne, here is very interesting analysis of that fight by HEMA expert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drd8dQKr-oY

Um, not really. There are historical weapons that can punch through plate armour with one handed strike no problem:

Spoiler
    Show

Sadly you'd lose, Gerold was the guard frontstabbed by Ned

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, it's called "having the doors open and certainly not locked with guards stabbed by pair of maniacs wielding forbidden weapons". Which kind of begs the question what Daenerys would do if convenient rescue brigade didn't arrive just in time for that.
    It's been a while since I read the book, but doesn't Ned say something to the effect of, "I would have died if it weren't for Howland Reed"?

Not that Bran couldn't have heard awesome stories about the Ned taking on Arthur Dayne too. But I've been assuming backstabbing -or at least net trickery- from day one.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show

Rise of the Runelords -Ely
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars - Jean/Saber

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

I saw that complain a lot, but why people assume it was Ned?
    Mostly because Ned and one other guy knew about it. And that other guy was a recluse. Plus his book persona does say that he would have lost without said friends aid to the point that's what people think about. I suppose it's possible that the old servants always told Bran about the fight a thousand times all without Ned being in earshot, but it just seems unlikely.

Um, not really. There are historical weapons that can punch through plate armour with one handed strike no problem:

Spoiler
    Show
    Context Trixie. Context is important. I was talking about a rondel dagger. A rondel dagger does not have the mass or the length to achieve the force necessary to pierce through armor (unless there's some very lucky stuff going on, some armor does have imperfections of course).

But a rondel dagger is not a war pick. A war pick can pierce through armor, it has the attributes to do so. It has the mass of the weapon entirely behind the head of the pick so when swung all that mass is force applied directly to a single point.

Now you could make the argument that the dagger also has a sharp point, but there's the problem. The dagger does not have the mass, nor can it pick up the necessary acceleration because it is closer to the handle when swung. The length of the handle of the pick allows the point to move much faster than the handle itself allowing for the necessary force to be reached, at quite a few disadvantages as well. It was considered a bitch of a weapon to re-swing with which is why it was not used with all that frequency when compared to the other potentially armor piercing weapons like lances or crossbows. Or more versatile weapons like the various polearms that had pick-like parts to them, allowing them to potentially do these anti-armor swings will still having the more balanced spear portion for the majority of the fight.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Sadly you'd lose, Gerold was the guard frontstabbed by Ned
    I thought that guy was supposed to be Ser Oswell Went. Feels weird that the Lord Commander would allow one of his subordinates to speak for him, even a subordinates as kickass as the Sword of the Morning. Regardless, whomever of three Whitecloacks present in the books but not currently bleeding out into the Red Mountains on the show will probably be inside the tower for another fight scene next time Bran logs on to weirwood.net.
    Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I've been thinking about the impending battle with the White Walkers, and I realized that there's not really a way to fight them without Valurian steel or Dragonglass. How many Valyrian steel swords has the show introduced? Off of the top of my head, I can only think of Longclaw, Oathkeeper, and Widow's Wail.
    Last edited by Sam113097; 2016-05-18 at 11:08 AM.
    Currently worldbuilding Port Demesne: A Safe Harbor in a Shattered World! If you have a moment, I would love your feedback!

5. - Top - End - #185

Quote Originally Posted by Sam113097 View Post
    I've been thinking about the impending battle with the White Walkers, and I've been wondering: how many Valyrian steel swords has the show introduced? Off of the top of my head, I can only think of Longclaw, Oathkeeper, and Widow's Wail.
    Ice was also introduced

Joke aside, it doesn't matter much since a lot of Dragonglass knives were introduced.
    Also, I quite expect Dragon's breath to be very effective on White Walkers.
    And I totally expect that killing the White Walkers will destroy every Wight.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Colossus in the Playground

I imagine that the nasty green fire used in defense of King's Landing should work quite well, as well as fire blessed by a red priest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    Ice was also introduced

Joke aside, it doesn't matter much since a lot of Dragonglass knives were introduced.
    Also, I quite expect Dragon's breath to be very effective on White Walkers.
    And I totally expect that killing the White Walkers will destroy every Wight.
    Ice got melted down into Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper by Tywin.

The Dragonglass was lost at Hardhome, right?
    Currently worldbuilding Port Demesne: A Safe Harbor in a Shattered World! If you have a moment, I would love your feedback!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ice got melted down into Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper by Tywin.

The Dragonglass was lost at Hardhome, right?
    Yes, they were.

In the books at least, Stannis mentions that he has his workers on Dragonstone mining obsidian now that they know they need it. Not sure if he said the same in the show.

9. - Top - End - #189

I've been thinking about the impending battle with the White Walkers, and I realized that there's not really a way to fight them without Valurian steel or Dragonglass. How many Valyrian steel swords has the show introduced? Off of the top of my head, I can only think of Longclaw, Oathkeeper, and Widow's Wail.
    I've been thinking lately that Littlefinger's dagger will get re-purposed somehow... but it's not like that's a huge artifact of arcane power. It's just one more stabby thing to stab things with.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show

Rise of the Runelords -Ely
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars - Jean/Saber

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    I've been thinking lately that Littlefinger's dagger will get re-purposed somehow... but it's not like that's a huge artifact of arcane power. It's just one more stabby thing to stab things with.
    It gets bonus crit against child wights.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I am presuming that Tyrion will end up rediscovering how to forge Valyrian steel, there was mention of how his Father was obsessed with getting the Lannisters a Valyrian steel weapon, and Widow's wail was lost with Joffery so they don't have one anymore (if you counted Wail) and Tyrion's final FU to his father would be forging a blade for a Dwarf out of Valyrian steel and putting the Lion of Lannister on it.

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Widow's wail was lost with Joffery so they don't have one anymore (if you counted Wail)
    Why would it be lost? Joffrey didn't get captured and lose it, or anything like that. Unless it was buried with him, it should still be in the King's Landing armoury - and even if it was buried with him, it can still be retrieved if the residents of King's Landing become aware of the seriousness of the White Walker threat.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    I am presuming that Tyrion will end up rediscovering how to forge Valyrian steel, there was mention of how his Father was obsessed with getting the Lannisters a Valyrian steel weapon, and Widow's wail was lost with Joffery so they don't have one anymore (if you counted Wail) and Tyrion's final FU to his father would be forging a blade for a Dwarf out of Valyrian steel and putting the Lion of Lannister on it.
    My hypothesis has long been that Valyrian Steel can only be forged in the heat of dragon breath, so if anybody's positioned to figure it out, it's probably Tyrion.

14. - Top - End - #194

In any case they won't be able to mass manufacture anything in Valyrian steel in the numbers they need to make it a threat to the White Walkers. Dragonglass arrowheads on the other hand, or dragonglass spears are much likelier candidates for what's going to stop the White Walkers finally. That or dragonfire itself. We don't know how many White Walkers there are exactly so even dozens, or even a hundred Valyrian steel blades seem like a terribly expensive idea when dragonglass will do. They just need to transport it to the Wall from Dragonstone at this point and have someone start making arrows and spear tips.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

New episode.

I... I'm sad now....

I need a hug =(
    I'M NOT CRAZY!!

I just find sanity a rather dull affair

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A Tad Insane View Post
    New episode.

I... I'm sad now....

I need a hug =(
    Spoiler
    Show

Summer and Hodor within 2 minutes of each other? Jeez my gut feels that punch.

Though the Child of the Forest did not need to die there. She could have just thrown the grenade.

And how the hell did LF get up to the Wall?
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2016-05-22 at 09:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197

Now that was a good episode!

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, so couple of things. The Night's King is now definitely not the Night's King from the stories. The man we saw turned into a White Walker by the Children is the same actor who plays the Night's King in the show so he comes from a time before the Night's Watch was founded since what we saw was likely the very first White Walker created. This is extremely interesting because it means he is at least 8000 years old.

Bran's visions confirm that he can influence the past but I doubt it will lead to time travel trouble because what Bran will do in the future will already have come to pass in the reality we are seeing in the show. The ink is already dry and so on.

The Kingsmoot was pretty dull compared to what we got in the books, I had such high hopes for this scene but they got dashed against the rocks by D&Ds CGI budget. I'm hoping they're saving Euron's mute crew and artifacts for later in the show.

Littlefinger travels at the speed of plot as before, it's a little annoying but I can easily imagine it's simply due to there being more time passing between the scenes that we see than we realize.

Last edited by Mathis; 2016-05-22 at 09:43 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Good episode, that ending was devastating. I was shocked at how sad I was about it heh.
    Top 5 Favorite Characters:
    5) Leeky Windstaff
    4) Malack
    3) Vaarsuvius
    2) Redcloak
    1) O-Chul

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Infinitely disappointed by the show's decisions re: Euron Greyjoy. He's supposed to be an ultra-creepy creep, not Boring Bearded White Man #9857.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    Infinitely disappointed by the show's decisions re: Euron Greyjoy. He's supposed to be an ultra-creepy creep, not Boring Bearded White Man #9857.
    Yeah, the reason I think this episode only ranks as decent with some great parts is because how unimpressive the Kingsmoot was. I can understand why they cut Victarion, but Euron felt much more mysterious and powerful in his entrance.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Tormund x Brienne, OTP.

That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm really upset about how they seem to be killing the Direwolves off without any ceremony. I guess they want to save on the CGI budget?

Shaggydog getting killed off-screen I could just about handle, since he really didn't do anything in the books either. Nymeria's continued absence looks like it's going to be a permanent thing, which is far more disappointing because Arya was starting to warg and that plotline looks like it's just gotten dropped.

But Summer? Summer was one of the most important Direwolves, hugely important in Bran's plotline. And he just sort of get swarmed under by mooks rather than have a momentous death?

Rrrrrrgh. So annoyed about that, it basically spoiled the episode for me.

The reveal for Hodor though...that was pretty brilliant. It just about makes up for it.

Euron's plotline getting chopped right down is kinda forgivable, since they put off his appearance for so long they really have to motor to get him up to speed. I do agree that it was all a bit anti-climactic though. I think they should have at least had the horn for the justification on how he swayed the Ironborn so fast.

23. - Top - End - #203

I wonder how many more seasons are planned because the show seems to cut an awful lot of "loose ends". It this continue, we can predict that:

Spoiler
    Show
    Bran and Meera can't be on their own north of the wall, especially with Bran marked as he is. Chances are that they are going to die or more likely, go back to Castle Black. And then rejoin Jon.
    Rickon is likely to die or... be saved by Jon.
    Now Sam... I wonder what will happen to him. Maybe he'll never reach the Citadel and will be kept by his father somehow.
    Dorne will either suffer of Cersei and Jaime's revenge or... We'll never heard about it again.
    Greyjoy story finally moves. Fast. Euron will very likely rejoin Daenerys. Maybe Theon will change his mind and try his chance with Jon?
    Daenerys will soon be back to Meereen and will finally be on the move. I bet the Ironborn will have built their new fleet and gone to Essos in no time.
    Arya... It really would be terrible writing if she ended being expelled of the house of Black and White (which she totally deserves) without gaining much out of it, but... it may happen.
    Jorah becomes a new loose end. Surprising considering how the show evolves otherwise.
    Brynden has rebuilt an army, took back Riverrun and will now pursue his revenge and crush the Twins and save his stupid nephew join Jon.
    Sooo, what's left. Gendry?

I'm more or less afraid that by the end of the seasons, the show will mostly revolve around Arya, team Jon, #teamlannister, #teamdaenerys.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

24. - Top - End - #204

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    I wonder how many more seasons are planned because the show seems to cut an awful lot of "loose ends".
    I don't have a source handy, but I read somewhere (might've even been in this thread...) that they plan on 7 seasons, and the 7th will have 13 episodes. And yes, they're cleaning house big time. I'm still on the fence if that's good or bad.

25. - Top - End - #205

The two deaths this episode mostly just felt pointless to me. Not much impact.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2016-05-23 at 07:19 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    The two deaths this episode mostly just felt pointless to me. Not much impact.
    That's how I've felt about every show death since Ser Barristan last season. The show went from the intricate dance of self-destruction that characterizes book deaths to randomly killing off people for the lulz, so it lost all emotional resonance and started feeling like fanfic to me.

YMMV; Twitter seemed pretty upset about #HoldTheDoor yesterday.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whoracle View Post
    I don't have a source handy, but I read somewhere (might've even been in this thread...) that they plan on 7 seasons, and the 7th will have 13 episodes. And yes, they're cleaning house big time. I'm still on the fence if that's good or bad.
    I had heard eight seasons, but they were lowering the episode count per season to 7 or 8, which gives a similar total number of remaining episodes.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm devastated.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    I had heard eight seasons, but they were lowering the episode count per season to 7 or 8, which gives a similar total number of remaining episodes.
    This was what I read as well. It's a quote from David Benioff which can be found here... http://screenrant.com/game-of-throne...final-seasons/

Of course, HBO stepped in shortly afterward and said, "Now wait a minute...we're not sure how we're going to handle it". So we'll see what happens.

As far as the dire wolves, they haven't been killed off any differently from the books. With the obvious exception of Summer, all the others died just as they did in the books, so I'm not sure why everyone is so critical of HBO regarding this. This isn't the only site I've seen people talking about it on either.

I suspect that the death of the wolves coincide with the moment the character no longer sees itself as a member of the Stark family. Lady dies on the way to the capitol, Robb's wolf dies when he died. Ghost is still alive. Nymeria is running wild, similar to what Arya is doing). Summer died just as Bran had to become the Three-Eyed Raven.

Just a theory, but hardly' HBO's fault.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fishybugs View Post
    This was what I read as well. It's a quote from David Benioff which can be found here... http://screenrant.com/game-of-throne...final-seasons/

Of course, HBO stepped in shortly afterward and said, "Now wait a minute...we're not sure how we're going to handle it". So we'll see what happens.

As far as the dire wolves, they haven't been killed off any differently from the books. With the obvious exception of Summer, all the others died just as they did in the books, so I'm not sure why everyone is so critical of HBO regarding this. This isn't the only site I've seen people talking about it on either.

I suspect that the death of the wolves coincide with the moment the character no longer sees itself as a member of the Stark family. Lady dies on the way to the capitol, Robb's wolf dies when he died. Ghost is still alive. Nymeria is running wild, similar to what Arya is doing). Summer died just as Bran had to become the Three-Eyed Raven.

Just a theory, but hardly' HBO's fault.
    The big criticism with Summer's death that I heard from a friend was it was kind of pointless from an action stand point. Like the sacrifice of the Child of the Forest it really didn't need to die there. In fact it would have been much better for Bran if they both hadn't decided "well now it's time to die, I guess."

That said, I can see why Summer acted as he did. It's been established since season 1 with the cutthroat that Summer's natural response when Bran is in trouble is to charge at the enemy and bite them.

The Child? Less forgiving of. The point of grenades is to throw them. Not throwing them did nothing.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2016-05-23 at 12:24 PM.