New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The City Never Sleeps [IC | Invite only]

The City Never Sleeps

Welcome to Spiredeep. Through some series of events, unfortunate or otherwise, you've ended up here, a city on the edge of land and sea, older than the coast surrounding it. Opium Dens as common as palaces, Brothels as common as Temples. The homeless and downtrodden stride next to the gentry and nobility, and all walk in the seemingly permanent damp pervading the streets. Humanity is prided there, other races considered lesser and ‘inferior’, only rarely rising to higher class society.

You've been contacted by a Historian and expert on Spiredeep, such as that may be, called Tynnich Symbran, about a recent string of disappearances. Today is the day you're supposed to meet with him.

It's raining, as it usually does in the city. Woodsmoke and pollution intermingle in the air, the smell of thousands of bodies moving simultaneously. Your group walks up the streets of House Oldtower, looking for your contractor, the historian and recluse by the name of Tynnich Symbran, a human originally hailing from Highpeak, having moved here 30 years ago. You reach his house, an old yet sturdy building, as are most of the domiciles in Oldtower, built from Granite and slate. There's a small garden in front of the house, spanning no more than a three feet from the front of his house to the street. Before you can even knock on the door, a series of metallic noises emanates from the door, and it's hastily pulled open. Tynnich stands in the entrance, hunched over and breathing slightly heavily for unknown reasons. The man, if not for his slouch, would be quite tall, standing at a proud six and a half feet, but his ravem colored hair peppered with white and gray, and slightly wrinkled skin betray his age. He smiles in a peculiar manner, and speaks, "Ah! You must be the contractors I hired to help in my studies. Come in, come in! I'll put on a pot of water. Would you like Coffee, Tea, or some other beverage that I probably haven't heard of?"

Before you can respond, he moves back into his house, from what you can see is well-lit and crowded, but organized. The door stands open before you, and it's apparent he's invited you in.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The City Never Sleeps [IC | Invite only]

Raivo

A man steps into the building and pulls down the hood on his cloak, revealing a striking pattern of burn scars on his head. His black hair is long, with the left side shaved by both razors and burns. Under his cloak he's wearing dark leather armor over loose clothing. He's armed with a bow, but also has a spiked gauntlet of on his right hand, because eldritch abominations like to get too close for comfort with their tentacles.

"Tea would be nice, thanks,"
    he says, examining a pile of books.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Drogo

Ducking through the doorway and lumbering through the house, Drogo follows the peculiar man. "Nem szeretem a kis terek."

Spoiler: Lizardfolk
    Show
    "I do not like small spaces."
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Winchester

A man in a stetson hat and a tattered poncho steps into the house, his spurs jingling all the way. "Never much liked the rain. Always gets the pounder wet." He says, checking his firearm. "A cup of jo sounds good right bout now."

He turns his hat up to look at the lizard folk and speaks.

Spoiler: Lizard Tongue
    Show
    "Ain't I seen you before."
    Last edited by Sjlver; 2016-08-22 at 01:19 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DA here.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Raivo

Raivo stare blankly at the lizardfolk. "Uh, no I don't think a kiss customary after meeting someone in this area," he says.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

6. - Top - End - #6

Drogo

Looking down at Winchester, Drogo shrugs. "Ha fizettek ölni, akkor nem lenne itt."1 After a long inhale, he adds. "Ön egy zsoldos?"2

Show

"If I was paid to kill you, you wouldn't be here."1

"Are you a mercenary?"2
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-08-22 at 02:10 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Tynnich

The historian comes wandering back into the main area, having just put on a pot of water to boil. He lifts the stack of books Raivo was inspecting, mostly theses on the movements of the Rhaí Gěl during the early Age of Song, off the table, moving them over to another empty surface. He tuts at the exchange between Drogo and Winchester, commenting in Lizardfolk casually, "<Now, Drogo, Winchester, it doesn't do to bicker under the roof of your host. Please be courteous to each other and save the savagery for your contracts.>"
    Show
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Raivo

"Conversations aside,"
    Ravio says, "would be it be too much to know more about what we're studying? Or more precisely, what will we be doing for you, Doctor Symbran?" Raivo looks around to see if he has any weird eldritch anomalies in his house.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Rukija checks the handwritten note one last time to make sure. This was indeed place. She pauses a moment outside the door to shake the rain from her heavy wool jacket, and tries the door. As it opens, Rukija hears the tail end of a question.
    "what will we be doing for you, Doctor Symbran?"
    Not wanting to drown out the speaker, Rukija elects to hold off on knocking, and her quick pace finds her in the main study before she expected, leaving no time to announce her arrival. She cuts a bit of an imposing figure, standing in the doorway with her long coat and dark wide-brimmed hat.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Rukija's outfit is something along the lines of these two without the high heels or cleavage, or this without the heavy armor pieces. She kinda looks like a Bloodborne character.

Also, let's roll Stealth to see who she accidentally sneaks up on, just for kicks. Moving at normal speed is -5, right? (1d20+8)[24]
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Ravio

"Ah, Dr. Predojevic. It's always a pleasure," Ravio says, his accent especially showing when he says 'pleasure.' He extends his hand to Rukija. "I wasn't expecting you. This is quite a party that has been assembled," he says jovially. "There must be rare phenomena, to have gathered so many," he finishes, looking back at the doctor.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Rukija is obviously surprised by Ravio's presence, accepting his hand after a few blinks. "Nor was I expecting you. Although, given your line of work, I probably should have," she says with a smile.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Tynnich

Tynnich bumbles back in from the kitchen, carrying a plate of steaming cups. He looks up and notes Rukija without much surprise, "Ah, I was wondering when the final member of your group would show up. Welcome, Doctor Rukija, make yourself at home. I brewed enough tea for everyone."

The researcher moves about the main table, clearing books off and carefully rearranging them elsewhere, while placing cups as he went. He finished, and gestured to the group to take their seats. He waited for a few moments, and took a sip from his own tea before beginning to speak, "All four of you, that is Ashley Winchester, Raivo Aleksejs, Rukija Predojević, and Drogo, have been hired by me to investigate a series of... odd occurrences in this city as of late. I have received favorable recommendations from colleagues regarding all of you, and my delve into you records indicates similarly favorable patterns. In addition, your areas of study and expertise shall prove to be helpful. Now, onto the details of the contract. If you would note by these records, noted by me and several other historians around the city," he pauses to pass around a notebook filled to the brim in a scrawl of numbers, dates, and names, "There has been a sharp uptick in the amount of unnatural deaths as well as disappearances over the past two months. This might be covered by a crime spree through several independent murderers, but neither the wound reports nor the locations the body were found in would indicate a mortal's interference, in short. I have done significant research regarding this matter, and have noted a significant correlation between the notable death and disappearance locations, namely that they all appear in the cities oldest districts and in line with main sewer systems or on older places of worship. However, the Noble Houses to the best of my knowledge have not been affected, despite living in the oldest part of the city. Because of my aging body and lack of combative expertise, I have decided to contract you for the actual investigation of these places to further define my hypothesis and suggested course of remedy. You will be given a map with the highest density areas marked, as well as places of worship and the main sewer lines. I trust that this request is amenable to you?"

As Tynnich hands out the maps, each of you note that, sure enough, his projections are accurate, and that the murders are only focused in places of worship or sewer lines, without correlation between the sites.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    There are 5 main areas in which the murders are concentrated. It's completely up to you for which order to investigate them in. They are listed below. As you investigate, you may request for notable happenings or findings to be noted next to each area if that's your wish. I will also include a brief summary of the investigation.

Longtower
    Oldfaith
    Old Delta
    Western Cracks
    The Wells
    Last edited by IZ42; 2016-09-08 at 08:53 PM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Raivo

Raivo takes his drink and sips on it, glancing at Tynnich's works. "Hm... yes. This is all very impressive, doktors," he says, tracing his finger along a sewer line. "I've been here more than I'd like to admit. This interests me personally as well as professionally. It leads to The Wells."

Show
    INfo on the Wells pls. :3
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-09-09 at 08:52 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Drogo

Completely unable to understand the doctor, he nods anyways. Nod, get paid. Once the map is handed out he questions it. "Helyek és a halott? Drogó feladatunk az, hogy meghalt, nem találja meg, aki megölte őket."1 He shrugs. "Ezek a helyek lesznek gengszterek. Drogó fog vigyázni rájuk. Tartsa biztonságos kis kutatók, hogy fizessenek."2 He admits, eyeing Rukija. His stare is more akin to a hunter's than an ally, but that might just be Drogo.

Show
    "Places and the dead? Drogo job is to make dead, not find out who killed them."1

"These places will have thugs. Drogo will take care of them. Protect small researcher, get paid."2

Show
    Forgive any formatting errors in my posts, I'll do my best to clean them up if they need it. But when I do rolls, I can't do that till after I post.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-09-09 at 12:05 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Rukija scans her copy of the map, taking in the marked locations. "Access to the bodies would be helpful. If they have all been disposed of, we should speak with the coroners who examined them."

Show
    Rukija's clinic is in the Cracks, right on the edge of the Old Delta. Has she heard anything from the neighborhood's other inhabitants about the trend of unusual deaths?

Knowledge (Local) if necessary: (1d20+11)[15]
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Tynnich

Tynnich nods, "Mmm, yes, I imagine it would, Sir Aleksejs. The Wells are often found to be quite dangerous. Do be careful there, the ground is unstable in some sections and the district is rife with crime." He pauses, thinking for a second, "Oddly, the Wells appear to be the smallest source of murders, though the most concentrated."

He turns to Drogo, briefly addressing the massive lizardfolk's concerns in Drogo's tongue "<You would be a deterrent and protection towards any unwanted guests at our investigation. It is imperative to keep ne'erdowells away from these sites to prevent potential contamination. If my hypotheses are correct, there will be more for you to slay later.>"

Tynnich turns to Rukija, switching to common, "I do not believe any bodies are recent enough to warrant an autopsy that would provide any useful evidence, as the dead rot quickly in Spiredeep. However, I will make sure the coroners and such I am working with know to give you access to a body should one show up."

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Knowledge local for more than basic knowledge on the Wells, Snowy. I can't hand you everything. :P
    Last edited by IZ42; 2016-09-09 at 05:36 PM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Drogo

The large crocodile like humanoid listens rather attentively to Tynnich, which seems out of character. But Drogo has a reputation for getting jobs done for a reason! He grunts at the slaying things bit and possibly the confirmation that he wouldn't be doing the brainwork.

Show
    Congratulations, LP. You've made a character that is semi-impossible to play on mobile.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-09-09 at 07:40 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Raivo

"Alright, I elect that we go to The Old Delta first. Being close to Doktors Predojevic's facility may prove helpful," Raivo says.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-09-09 at 07:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Rukija

"Agreed. I have some materials there which may be useful for our investigation." The doctor turns to her other two new associates. "Drogo, Winchester, your thoughts?"
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Drogo

Hearing his name clearly, he looks at Rukija, expecting something he understands.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Rukija

"Saját klinika a régi delta. Ha megyünk oda először tudtam felvenni néhány hasznos dolgot."

Spoiler: Lizardspeech
    Show
    "My clinic is in the old delta. If we go there first I could pick up some useful things."
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Winchester

"I have no dispute with taking a jaunt to your clinic. It seems like we can use whatever we can get at this point. Better to be prepared than carrion food."
    Winchester says with a grin.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DA here.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Raivo

Raivo glances between Drogo and Rukja, and then at Winchester. "So, I take it I am the only person who doesn't understand what's being said when the crocodile man speaks?"
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-09-11 at 01:24 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Drogo

Nodding at Rukija, he replies. "Drogó nem lát problémát."1 He then looks at Raivo and points lazily. "Én vagyok az egyetlen, aki nem érti meg?"2

Show

"Drogo sees no problem."1

"Am I the only one who does not understand him?"2

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Rukija answers both questions in turn. "Yes. Igen. I'm sure the good Mr. Winchester and I can handle translations as necessary. Winchester és én fogjuk lefordítani."

Show
    Rukija's Lizardspeech is fluent and well-practiced from her regular interactions with locals who speak the tongue, but she has the accent of someone who learned its pronunciations from a book - her words are much too strongly enunciated.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2016-09-13 at 02:06 AM.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Drogo

Drogo looks at Raivo and shrugs loosely at him. They'd work it out eventually, or one of them would die. Problem solved either way.