New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis J Hyena's Super Hyena Fun Show: Random Banter Thread #215

*grabs Elemental to her arms*

Where have you been, my most emmental flavoured elemental?!

I'm so glad to see you here!
    Last edited by FinnLassie; 2016-07-22 at 02:55 PM. Reason: what even is english
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Speaking of avian representatives... I saw a rosella lately and it conjured up a weird feeling of homesickness. It has been entirely too long since I've posted here and I miss you guys a lot more than I realised.
    Elemental, good to see you! How's that empire game of your going?

3. - Top - End - #573
    Barbarian in the Playground

Whew. 4 or 5 days of advertising and I get NINE players (with three on standby / backup)! for a roll20 game

Two paladins (one a werewolf), a ninja, an archivist, a scout, a ranger, a wizard, a rogue, and a spellthief. The anthropomorphics from (two different) story I was writing are being included.

This'll end well. :P I'm expecting some people to drop either because of timezones or "too much homebrew" -- 3.5 is the concept I build off of but just about *everything* is different in some way. For example, I give people 8 ranks in one skill (their day job), three in three more, and one in five others. THEN they get points. Of course, DCs are raised a bit to compensate.

Tailiu's the spellthief. Heh. An anthropomorphic crow.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis J Hyena View Post
    I'm expecting some people to drop either because of timezones or "too much homebrew" -- 3.5 is the concept I build off of but just about *everything* is different in some way.
    To be fair, you just kind of throw homebrew at people.
    For example, I give people 8 ranks in one skill (their day job), three in three more, and one in five others. THEN they get points. Of course, DCs are raised a bit to compensate.
    But how can Ren ever steal anything?
    Tailiu's the spellthief. Heh. An anthropomorphic crow.
    For some reason, I'm the only one who's playing an anthropomorphic animal.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Last night brought a great-grandmother of a Prairie thunderstorm. All day the air was like getting slapped in the face with a hot wet towel, and then in the evening the Apocalypse happened. The temperature fell by over ten degrees in an hour and everything went almost as black as night. Now with a high-up balcony apartment, I got a perfect view of the bright purple lightning all across the sky. After a while the rain thickened and the sky turned that weird green colour that presages tornadoes, and indeed there were several spotted in the area if not in the city itself. Close to sunset the sky in the west opened up and cast a perfect double rainbow all across the sky and illuminated the departing storm clouds in gold and red. It was a glorious spectacle.
    Oooh, and I found the thunderstorm we experienced during my visit to be out of this world. I'm afraid my poor bear brain wouldn't even be able to comprehend that monstrousity of yours.

I bet I would love it, though.

Confronted with the truth, and unwilling to reveal that he is stuffed to bursting with especially flavourful European blueberries bought at a dear price, Kneenibble attempts to escape.
    Spoiler
    Show
    See, it's hard to take to the skies when you overconsume berries. Happens to me every summer, and I'm much larger than you.

Whoa, protectorates grant influence? I've gotten a little frustrated with the diplomacy system, how a carefully cultivated relationship can suddenly turn irreversibly hostile because of perceived threat. The most recent example in my game with the mushroom cult: I had a good relationship with an empire, built up with gifts and the beginnings of an alliance, even having wormhole station access in their space. Well, I was single-handedly protecting the galaxy from the Prethoryn, who spawned on the opposite side of a ring galaxy and had infested a third of its space before I could get close enough to help. I systematically wiped them out, but a single ship escaped into this Empire's space and started to rebuild the Scourge from there. With wormhole station access, I was able to get in and stamp out the last of their presence, but then the Empire considered me a threat and turned hostile from +50ish opinion down to -300.
    Yup! Vassals don't, though, and as they automatically form a defensive pacts with you, they actually drain influence from you. As such it's worthwhile to keep a technological advantage over your protectorates so the influence income can be maintained.

As for the threat system, I'm not quite sure how it works, but I'm fairly sure that wars of conquest (as opposed to liberation) generate threat. In a fit of experimentation, I switched the Knibbles' war philosophy to "Unlimited", and promptly got voted out of my own federation for having differing war philosophies. I then declared a war of conquest on the extremists to the north-east and took first the arm leading out to the fallen empire I spoke about earlier, and then annexed the fallen empire itself from the mere momentum. This generated some 300-ish points of threat with nearly every nation, so even after I settled down and changed my war policy all the way back to "Defensive Only", only my dearest neighbour was willing to talk to me on anything resembling good terms.

And, of course, since the Prethoryn spawned on the other side of the galaxy, I wasn't able to get the Queen achievement in time either. Some punk beat me to it. The worst part of this situation is that after I saved the galaxy without so much as a half-penny's worth of help from anybody else, another Empire took advantage of my weakened fleets, declared war, and devastated me. Brutal.
    Ooof. I think that's the point with crises, actually. They force the strongest empires to intervene, thus weakening themselves and opening for additional conflict as aspiring nations rise up to take the throne...

I'm quite curious what the Knibbles will find on that shield world... may the Fluff Continuum protect them in their way. It sounds like your playstyle is rather more noble than mine has been with the mushroom brainwashers.
    It turned out to be a five star fleed admiral with a pair of decent traits. I will have to find more shield worlds in my following playthroughs...

I stopped playing the Knibbles soon after that, though. As the sole superpower of the galaxy, I was practically unbeatable, and there was nothing capable of rocking my throne. I just had to double my empire size to win, and the sheer tedium of it meant I wasn't really having fun any longer...

The evening nap is a pernicious, debilitating vice. There is no better way to enervate oneself for the rest of the evening and the following day as well. I, too, have suffered the addiction. I know exactly what cured me of its grip, but of course our physiologies and lifestyles are very different, so my precedent might not help you at all.
    I only do evening naps when I've been sleeping poorly for a few days in a row, so I'm not exactly stuck with them. I have had some troubles as of lately waking up too early when sleeping normally, though, which is more mystifying...

Will you kindly share a recording of the voice of this mad science?
    [/QUOTE]

I second this petition.

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Pregnant men in Canada seem to be a very assertive kind of people, although I have to say that pregnant women do not need such extra caution. Us uterus-people just... live with it.
    Maybe they're Aesir gods? Or Jotuns?
    Hmm, so it's Canada they went to when the Vikings stopped believing in them?

That reminds me, could you please talk to your Canada geese representative and ask them to stop invading Finnish soil? K thx. Will provide fruits for birb.
    *doesn't know if I should have nightmares or be intrigued by "hard Canadian land ravaged"*
    *scolds brain*
    But maybe there are pregnant Canadian men nearby? Have you considered this?

Speaking of avian representatives... I saw a rosella lately and it conjured up a weird feeling of homesickness. It has been entirely too long since I've posted here and I miss you guys a lot more than I realised.
    Elemental?!

We missed you too!
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ettin in the Playground

*grabs Elemental to her arms*

Where have you been, my most emmental flavoured elemental?!

I'm so glad to see you here!
    Hmmm... I had a feeling I should have changed to the cheese avatar...
    Australia being a lazy so and so. I missed you too Finn. So, how's space treating you? Savo is also the name of an asteroid.

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Elemental, good to see you! How's that empire game of your going?
    Hey TaiLiu. We're actually on the second Empire game, creatively entitled Empire 2. I'm playing Byzantium expies, except not in a constant state of decline. Though that may change if I don't build more ships...

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Ooof. I think that's the point with crises, actually. They force the strongest empires to intervene, thus weakening themselves and opening for additional conflict as aspiring nations rise up to take the throne...

Elemental?!

We missed you too!
    This makes me want to continue my game that I lapsed on. The Prethoryn showed up, but I can't get to them without trampling over people's territorial sovereignty. I've got the ships and the tech to take them down, just not the will to trespass. Especially given that the pace of the Prethoryn attack is so slow I think they might not actually need my help yet...

Hey Teddy. I can't believe how much I missed your bear emoticons...

In unrelated news, Winter was apparently cancelled this year. It's six o'clock at night in the middle of July and I've got my window open and a fan on me so I don't get too hot. I'm regretting shelling out for a new jacket as I literally have no opportunity to wear it, even while walking home from the bus stop practically after dark.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

7. - Top - End - #577
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I am drunk, listening heavy metal and playing air guitar, i am happy... I want to share it with you

I love you all... <hip>

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

Hey TaiLiu. We're actually on the second Empire game, creatively entitled Empire 2. I'm playing Byzantium expies, except not in a constant state of decline. Though that may change if I don't build more ships...
    Oh, right. The older game fell apart or something, didn't it?

How's your home life, apart from the hot winter?

9. - Top - End - #579

Blerg. 8-member groups are a nightmare, especially when it's done in text only and you don't get very far in 3 hours.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

Blerg. 8-member groups are a nightmare, especially when it's done in text only and you don't get very far in 3 hours.
    We used two hours to represent a fifteen minute waiting period.

What might help is being flexible with in-game time. I noticed that we burnt a lot of time with the "everyone gets three rounds" thing that we did - it might've been faster to just give everyone a bunch of actions in one go.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

I've been playing Paper Mario TTYD, since I realized that I never did get around to finishing it (either when current or the first time I picked it back up).

I have discovered where you get Whacka Bumps.

I have learned why you don't.

I have stopped at six, and wished I stopped at one.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2016-07-23 at 08:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #582
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I've been playing Paper Mario TTYD, since I realized that I never did get around to finishing it (either when current or the first time I picked it back up).

I have discovered where you get Whacka Bumps.

I have learned why you don't.

I have stopped at six, and wished I stopped at one.
    Hell yeah Thousand Year Door is fantastic. Poor Whacka though...

13. - Top - End - #583

We used two hours to represent a fifteen minute waiting period.

What might help is being flexible with in-game time. I noticed that we burnt a lot of time with the "everyone gets three rounds" thing that we did - it might've been faster to just give everyone a bunch of actions in one go.
    This I noticed. I will likely try that when you reach the first town after the battle with the Ruined that is incoming.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish_Paladin View Post
    I am drunk, listening heavy metal and playing air guitar, i am happy... I want to share it with you

I love you all... <hip>
    It's amazing how you can type while playing your air guitar.

Oh, right. The older game fell apart or something, didn't it?

How's your home life, apart from the hot winter?
    I wouldn't say it fell apart per se, more that it got so mired in itself and we'd run out of space on the map. The new one's got a lot more space and the rules have been better thought out so it may end up going on longer than the last one, which would be impressive given it took nearly a year for the last one to come to an end.

Pretty alright. My brother and sister-in-law moved in a couple of months ago and they have dogs so it's interesting now. Not much has changed to be honest.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

15. - Top - End - #585
    Troll in the Playground

But maybe there are pregnant Canadian men nearby? Have you considered this?
    I don't want Canadian pregnant men to take over Finland!

Hmmm... I had a feeling I should have changed to the cheese avatar...
    Australia being a lazy so and so. I missed you too Finn. So, how's space treating you? Savo is also the name of an asteroid.

In unrelated news, Winter was apparently cancelled this year. It's six o'clock at night in the middle of July and I've got my window open and a fan on me so I don't get too hot. I'm regretting shelling out for a new jacket as I literally have no opportunity to wear it, even while walking home from the bus stop practically after dark.
    Ah, no no, this avatar is very beautiful! However you have made me hungry for emmental. Darn nibbly you. Though, if you become emmental, I could just nibble on you or something.
    *checks out the Savo thing* Ok yeah I just did the lazy google thing and yay thanks localisation, I'm only getting answers about the area I live in.

Ah, life is ok. Missing Scotland terribly, but I guess coming back to Finland was the best. I'll likely be graduating in two years and then I get to move out of this small city... I mean, it's nice here, but I've realised how much I just love living in a place where public transport is a commodity and all of my friends are nearby or easily accessed. I guess I'm a city girl after all...

*googles savo astroid instead of just savo* ... You know, the thing was named after the area I live in.

... oh yeah, 'Straya. It's winter. Huh. My friend was there during the summer, June or July, and it was hot as balls for her for the most part. A lot of 'Strayans were wearing thick jackets... it was only like 18°C that day.

I love you all... <hip>
    *grabs Paladin to her arms*

Where have you been, oh the most Spaniard of paladins?!

If you have done all of this by yourself and at home, I'd be glad to inform that you've probably done the most Finnish thing ever.
    Last edited by FinnLassie; 2016-07-24 at 02:04 AM.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, no no, this avatar is very beautiful! However you have made me hungry for emmental. Darn nibbly you. Though, if you become emmental, I could just nibble on you or something.
    *checks out the Savo thing* Ok yeah I just did the lazy google thing and yay thanks localisation, I'm only getting answers about the area I live in.

Ah, life is ok. Missing Scotland terribly, but I guess coming back to Finland was the best. I'll likely be graduating in two years and then I get to move out of this small city... I mean, it's nice here, but I've realised how much I just love living in a place where public transport is a commodity and all of my friends are nearby or easily accessed. I guess I'm a city girl after all...

*googles savo astroid instead of just savo* ... You know, the thing was named after the area I live in.

... oh yeah, 'Straya. It's winter. Huh. My friend was there during the summer, June or July, and it was hot as balls for her for the most part. A lot of 'Strayans were wearing thick jackets... it was only like 18°C that day.
    I know, but the cheese has all the extra nostalgia factors. I could go with some cheese myself, not too picky as to the type though. Hmm... Is it cannibalism if a horse made of cheese eats a cheese sandwich?
    Ugh... Google localisation... I understand it's useful and all, but I volunteer at an op shop run by the RSPCA and I get numerous calls each shift from people with animal related issues who Googled the phone number and got our shop because it's the first on the list.

I'd probably feel the same way if I was forced to move away from Brisbane. I've gotten very attached to a comfortable suburban existence with a bus stop down the road.

I wikied it because the name sounded familiar and I couldn't for the life of me remember where I heard it. Upon seeing the list I just went with the most fun. *looks at a map* Ah, no wonder it's familiar. It's that part of Finland. With all the lakes. Your country has too many lakes, I don't know how you get anything done with all that water just lying around everywhere.

Thing is, now that I've complained on an Internet forum it's gotten cold again, though you'd mock me if I told you the actual temperature.

Dragons!

17. - Top - End - #587
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It's amazing how you can type while playing your air guitar.

I wouldn't say it fell apart per se, more that it got so mired in itself and we'd run out of space on the map. The new one's got a lot more space and the rules have been better thought out so it may end up going on longer than the last one, which would be impressive given it took nearly a year for the last one to come to an end.

Pretty alright. My brother and sister-in-law moved in a couple of months ago and they have dogs so it's interesting now. Not much has changed to be honest.
    Ssssh, it´s a metalhead secret!!

*grabs Paladin to her arms*

Where have you been, oh the most Spaniard of paladins?!

If you have done all of this by yourself and at home, I'd be glad to inform that you've probably done the most Finnish thing ever.

It was in a metal pub, but i´d lie to you if i said i never do that by myself at home

Oooh... my head. Jaggermeister is the blood of the Devil XD

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

This I noticed. I will likely try that when you reach the first town after the battle with the Ruined that is incoming.
    Heh. I suppose it was kind of obvious. Hard to not notice after two hours, after all.
    Ah, I see.
    Oh, nice! I hope you're enjoying their company. Is it a permanent move-in?
    Hmm... Is it cannibalism if a horse made of cheese eats a cheese sandwich?
    No more than a human eating a meat sandwich. It would be cannibalism if the cheese sandwich's cheese was made from a cheese horse, though.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ettin in the Playground

Ssssh, it´s a metalhead secret!!
    Hmmm... Could I pry it out of you with a substantial quantity of delicious home-made biscuits, or does that not work on metalheads?

Oh, nice! I hope you're enjoying their company. Is it a permanent move-in?

No more than a human eating a meat sandwich. It would be cannibalism if the cheese sandwich's cheese was made from a cheese horse, though.
    Indeed it is a permanent move-in. And it's working well, except my sister-in-law doesn't like to share her chocolate. Fortunately I can buy my own chocolate and then not share it.

Awww... But I taste so delicious!

Dragons!

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

This makes me want to continue my game that I lapsed on. The Prethoryn showed up, but I can't get to them without trampling over people's territorial sovereignty. I've got the ships and the tech to take them down, just not the will to trespass. Especially given that the pace of the Prethoryn attack is so slow I think they might not actually need my help yet...
    Yeah, I noticed that the Prethoryn seemed to have trouble conquering inhabited planets. Actually wrote a pretty sizeable strategy section on them on the Stellaris wiki...

Hey Teddy. I can't believe how much I missed your bear emoticons...

I can sympathise with those who lament a cancelled winter, even if your definition of winter probably matches my definition of a slightly colder summer.

Hey, if we survived 10'000 German gays*, then you should be able to handle some pregnant Canadian men just fine.

*It's a reference to a Swedish prank calling show in the 90's. They called the foreign department and asked if it was true that 10'000 German gays were going to move to Sweden if we joined the EU. How does one respond to that?

The 'ä' to 'a' I can excuse, but two 'g's? The sudden shift in meaning is quite amusing...

ION:
    Up at our ancestral farm again. There are no Pokémon here at all, but I will have to take a walk before I can confirm their total absence. The garden needs some work, but it's not quite as bad as we feared. Otherwise it's just time for relaxation.

Show

21. - Top - End - #591
    Troll in the Playground

I think... we got your winter. "Coldest winter in 40 years" was the newspaper headline just the other day. I basically spent the entire weekend under a blanket 0_o

Come take your winter back plz kthx.

Hmmm... Could I pry it out of you with a substantial quantity of delicious home-made biscuits, or does that not work on metalheads?
    Here's another metalhead secret... biscuits work wonderfully

Even though beer probably works better.

...also anything is possible with the power of heavy metal.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2016-07-25 at 03:24 AM.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Of course.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Troll in the Playground

I know, but the cheese has all the extra nostalgia factors. I could go with some cheese myself, not too picky as to the type though. Hmm... Is it cannibalism if a horse made of cheese eats a cheese sandwich?
    Ugh... Google localisation... I understand it's useful and all, but I volunteer at an op shop run by the RSPCA and I get numerous calls each shift from people with animal related issues who Googled the phone number and got our shop because it's the first on the list.

I'd probably feel the same way if I was forced to move away from Brisbane. I've gotten very attached to a comfortable suburban existence with a bus stop down the road.

I wikied it because the name sounded familiar and I couldn't for the life of me remember where I heard it. Upon seeing the list I just went with the most fun. *looks at a map* Ah, no wonder it's familiar. It's that part of Finland. With all the lakes. Your country has too many lakes, I don't know how you get anything done with all that water just lying around everywhere.

Thing is, now that I've complained on an Internet forum it's gotten cold again, though you'd mock me if I told you the actual temperature.
    What if the sandwich has horse meat slices in it as well?
    What's an op shop, my loveliest of cheeses? I demand an answer! Right now! *slamps fist on bed* *surprisingly comfortable*

I honestly wish this place had.. I dunno. At least a bit more of a non-small town vibe, you know? I've been to two nightclubs here and even they don't bring me a city feeling even though they sometimes usually do. Everyone's so... country-sidey. Nothing wrong with the countryside though. It's just not somewhere that I'd like to live in.

The central area here is so, so small, and when you're 4km out of the centre, it's basically the line where you have little to no services. And this place is a rather large one when you look at it sq km wise. Most of it seems to be lake and forest, though. And some fields. The population density here is ~21/sqkm, whilst back in Espoo it's ~645/sqkm. The dense areas are very dense down there, but when you go out of the central areas by 3-6km it's much less dense. Still a lot of people, but not everyone's living like sardines. and there's still a lot of forest and nature around you. If I recall correctly, Espoo is called "the garden city". Lots of people, but damn there's green space. And also a national park. So there you go.
    *rambles on aimlessly*

My ideal place to live in is about 5-20km off from a big city's central area... sigh, one day. One day.

Yeah. Saimaa is... well Saimaa's one of many shores is like approx 10min bike ride away, and even less when I think about it. The biggest lake, ya know. It looks like there's many likes, but mostly it's just the one, Saimaa. Most of the lakes are in Eastern Finland, yes. ... though I have to say, if I need to get somewhere during the day where it requires me to cycle through the town marketplace, dream on getting anywhere fast. Damn tourists. this place is called the summer cottage capital. for a reason.

*shakes fist* You know nothing about -30°C! NOTHING!

It was in a metal pub, but i´d lie to you if i said i never do that by myself at home

In Finnish it's called kalsarikännit. The term means "the act of spending your night at home drinking beer and getting drunk in your underwear". On the computer or in front of the TV. And yes, you're in your underwear from the beginning. Socks and t-shirts are allowed as well, I've heard, but no jeans/trousers allowed.

I've never liked it. You should get salmiakkikossu. Since you're in Spain, there's probably a Nordic/Finnish shop somewhere... at least depending where you are. Damn those filthy Finns invading your warm weather!

*It's a reference to a Swedish prank calling show in the 90's. They called the foreign department and asked if it was true that 10'000 German gays were going to move to Sweden if we joined the EU. How does one respond to that?

The 'ä' to 'a' I can excuse, but two 'g's? The sudden shift in meaning is quite amusing...
    ... you probably don't want to know the jokes Finns have made of Swedes for decades. Unless you already know.

Perhaps it's still the Jägermeister talking?

Even unicorns?!
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

24. - Top - End - #594
    Troll in the Playground

Even unicorns?!
    Especially unicorns

Spoiler: Bonus: Unicorn album cover!
    Show
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

25. - Top - End - #595
    Troll in the Playground

A British teenager has passed away at Roihu Finnjamboree. He had a seizure. They did everything they could, there's professionals at the camp 24/7, but apparently seizure was simply too severe.

I feel kind of empty. Almost all of my friends are at the camp atm. I was supposed to go, but couldn't. Right now I want to be there more than anything, to support... everyone...

All I can really do is this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

26. - Top - End - #596
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Indeed it is a permanent move-in. And it's working well, except my sister-in-law doesn't like to share her chocolate. Fortunately I can buy my own chocolate and then not share it.

Awww... But I taste so delicious!
    There is few things i won´t do for cookies!!, ¿how many cookies we are talking about?

Yeah, I noticed that the Prethoryn seemed to have trouble conquering inhabited planets. Actually wrote a pretty sizeable strategy section on them on the Stellaris wiki...

I can sympathise with those who lament a cancelled winter, even if your definition of winter probably matches my definition of a slightly colder summer.

Hey, if we survived 10'000 German gays*, then you should be able to handle some pregnant Canadian men just fine.

ION:
    Up at our ancestral farm again. There are no Pokémon here at all, but I will have to take a walk before I can confirm their total absence. The garden needs some work, but it's not quite as bad as we feared. Otherwise it's just time for relaxation.
    I am sorry, i am a spaniard we write wrong any language except spanish XDD

What's an op shop, my loveliest of cheeses? I demand an answer! Right now! *slamps fist on bed* *surprisingly comfortable*

I honestly wish this place had.. I dunno. At least a bit more of a non-small town vibe, you know? I've been to two nightclubs here and even they don't bring me a city feeling even though they sometimes usually do. Everyone's so... country-sidey. Nothing wrong with the countryside though. It's just not somewhere that I'd like to live in.

The central area here is so, so small, and when you're 4km out of the centre, it's basically the line where you have little to no services. And this place is a rather large one when you look at it sq km wise. Most of it seems to be lake and forest, though. And some fields. The population density here is ~21/sqkm, whilst back in Espoo it's ~645/sqkm. The dense areas are very dense down there, but when you go out of the central areas by 3-6km it's much less dense. Still a lot of people, but not everyone's living like sardines. and there's still a lot of forest and nature around you. If I recall correctly, Espoo is called "the garden city". Lots of people, but damn there's green space. And also a national park. So there you go.
    *rambles on aimlessly*

My ideal place to live in is about 5-20km off from a big city's central area... sigh, one day. One day.

Yeah. Saimaa is... well Saimaa's one of many shores is like approx 10min bike ride away, and even less when I think about it. The biggest lake, ya know. It looks like there's many likes, but mostly it's just the one, Saimaa. Most of the lakes are in Eastern Finland, yes. ... though I have to say, if I need to get somewhere during the day where it requires me to cycle through the town marketplace, dream on getting anywhere fast. Damn tourists. this place is called the summer cottage capital. for a reason.

In Finnish it's called kalsarikännit. The term means "the act of spending your night at home drinking beer and getting drunk in your underwear". On the computer or in front of the TV. And yes, you're in your underwear from the beginning. Socks and t-shirts are allowed as well, I've heard, but no jeans/trousers allowed.

I've never liked it. You should get salmiakkikossu. Since you're in Spain, there's probably a Nordic/Finnish shop somewhere... at least depending where you are. Damn those filthy Finns invading your warm weather!

... you probably don't want to know the jokes Finns have made of Swedes for decades. Unless you already know.

Perhaps it's still the Jägermeister talking?

Even unicorns?!
    Singing and dancing with Megadeth in the shower counts?

salmiakkikosu.. um, i´ll try, but Madrid is in the center of the country, i think i´d be more nordic shops on the coast, where northern europeans takes their vacations

27. - Top - End - #597
    Colossus in the Playground

A British teenager has passed away at Roihu Finnjamboree. He had a seizure. They did everything they could, there's professionals at the camp 24/7, but apparently seizure was simply too severe.

I feel kind of empty. Almost all of my friends are at the camp atm. I was supposed to go, but couldn't. Right now I want to be there more than anything, to support... everyone...

All I can really do is this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not really familiar with that salute, but damn if I don't agree. This is just awful...

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ettin in the Playground

Indeed. For a civilisation devouring scourge they were certainly taking their time. In any case, I elected to start a new game instead of continuing my old because I realised just how long it had been since I last played.
    Also, strategy? I don't need strategy! *Elemental plays the game on easy*

I kind of want to make my own custom emoticons, but I'd forget to use them which would make the effort of producing them pointless.

It's true. We don't have seasons the way that Europe does. In some parts of Australia it's more accurate to refer to a wet and a dry season than to Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn. Fortunately Brisbane isn't so far North as those places...
    Anyways. It was just some sort of heatwave. The weather's gone back to feebly trying to freeze things.

I think... we got your winter. "Coldest winter in 40 years" was the newspaper headline just the other day. I basically spent the entire weekend under a blanket 0_o

Come take your winter back plz kthx.

Here's another metalhead secret... biscuits work wonderfully

Even though beer probably works better.

I think it's making it's own way back. I might actually have to wear trousers tomorrow. Though I'll likely regret it immediately.

Excellent. It's a shame I don't have any...

Well, given that energy can be converted from one form into another that statement is probably true. How many houses do you think the average rock band could power?

*rambles on aimlessly*

Now you're just complicating things. Hmm... Now I'm suddenly curious as to what horse tastes like...
    It's just the common Australian term for a charity store. People donate stuff to us and we sell it to raise money. Unfortunately we haven't had any ops in in a while, so to anyone who was looking for some I'm afraid I can't help.

As an Australian, the very notion of a town having a nightclub yet somehow retaining a small town vibe is alien to me. But then, Australia is mostly filled with nothing and we call any settlement a town even if it's five houses and a service station.

Yay for living in the suburbs then. Busses and trains and shopping centres. But we get the benefit of nature and stuff around here too because the suburb I'm in isn't packed on all sides by other suburbs because there's a creek and a river that flow along the edges and sometimes it floods... On the other side there's a main road and all that that entails though.

That's approximately the distance I live from the Brisbane CBD. Of course, public transport over here is not up to the standards of many European cities so it takes a bit to get there. Still, it's convenient for a day out or something similar.

The nearest lake to where I am is artificial. And the next nearest as well. And the next next nearest. South-East Queensland isn't exactly lake country, probably due to the lack of any glacial and geological activity since before even the Aborigines first settled here tens of thousands of years ago.
    See, this sort of thing never happens to because I don't ride bikes. And there's basically no tourist value to the place where I live at all. Hurray for living in boring places?

I don't even think my freezer gets that cold...

There is few things i won´t do for cookies!!, ¿how many cookies we are talking about?
    Well, given that I can't bake the cookies are mostly hypothetical... And given the ease at which one can hypothesise cookies... I'd say seven trillion hypothetical cookies with hypothetical chocolate chips. As soon as someone invents a machine to convert thought into matter I'll let you know.

Dragons!

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    Alright. It's a bit weird thinking about things in terms of time and frequency, but I've got some idea of how to proceed now.

Thanks for the help, and good luck with your own project.
    Yeah, it can be a difficult concept to wrap your head around. Very useful when you care about signal frequency, though.

I second this petition.
    Will you kindly share a recording of the voice of this mad science?

Yes: and they protect themselves during that vulnerable stage with their pet geese. A well-trained Canada goose will fiercely defend its Mennonite, even unto personal harm: and nobody trains a goose more finely than a Mennonite. It is an important level of safety in this hard Canadian land ravaged by the aggression of nesting beavers and rampaging meese.
    Soon! I promise I won't forget this time! I tried doing a recording over the weekend, but I was having some power-supply issues (what I get for running it off of 9V batteries - even though that makes it so much easier to move around), so the tone degenerated into noise pretty shortly after I switched the pulse channel on. I'll do another one with it hooked up to a more stable supply when I get the chance.

Geese are like goats - evil-tempered, ornery hellspawn good only for eating and viewing from a distance.

Well, given that energy can be converted from one form into another that statement is probably true. How many houses do you think the average rock band could power?
    Depends on the venue and whose house we're talking about, but taking some average figures from google....

Average household power consumption was 911 kWh per month, which translates to roughly 30kWh per day, which is 1.25kWh per hour, or just 1.25kW. The bass amp I used to lug around to shows could output 1500W (or 1.5kW), but I didn't usually run it at full power - but if we add up the rest of the band's gear we probably had around that in output - granted, this doesn't include the venue PAs or anything like that. So, a basement-bar metal show probably draws between one and two houses worth of power.

Now, I'm not sure how much power you could get back OUT of the band, once they've used it. You'd probably have to set up some physical system that moves or spins when it resonates and extract power from that.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2016-07-25 at 11:28 AM.
    A few odds and ends.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

You wouldn't be able to cycle around the marketplace?

What liquorice poison are you trying to peddle to the poor spaniard now, Finn?

Heard some, can probably figure out the rest unless you've managed to be uncharacteristically imaginative for once...

I am sorry, i am a spaniard we write wrong any language except spanish XDD
    Don't worry, it's all minor. Your un-truncation of others' quotes on the other hand...

I kind of want to make my own custom emoticons, but I'd forget to use them which would make the effort of producing them pointless.
    If you use Firefox or Chrome, I could share the GreaseMonkey script I use to replace the smilie bar to the right with my custom versions. Only drawback is that I haven't found a way to extend the table, so I'm a bit stuck with the 14 replacement smilies and a quick die roller, despite having a few more I want to include. The forum client-side code is just way too obtuse to make insertions into, I can't even wrap my head around what it does.

It's true. We don't have seasons the way that Europe does. In some parts of Australia it's more accurate to refer to a wet and a dry season than to Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn. Fortunately Brisbane isn't so far North as those places...
    Anyways. It was just some sort of heatwave. The weather's gone back to feebly trying to freeze things.
    Ahh, the good old Australian winter which not even the Australians believe in.

Now you're just complicating things. Hmm... Now I'm suddenly curious as to what horse tastes like...
    Hmm, I've had smoked horse as a sandwich topping at irregular intervals. It's quite salty and flavourful, but that might just be the smoke...

It's just the common Australian term for a charity store. People donate stuff to us and we sell it to raise money. Unfortunately we haven't had any ops in in a while, so to anyone who was looking for some I'm afraid I can't help.
    What exactly does "op" stand for?

I don't even think my freezer gets that cold...
    No, it doesn't. There are little gains in freezing foodstuff below -18°C, but it does consume a lot of energy.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2016-07-25 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Unedit.

Show