New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Start of Darkness - Discussion Thread (MARK ALL SPOILERS!)

Just got Start of Darkness. I saw it while looking through some booths at the FANexpo.

Love the background on the villains and their more developed motives.

Spoiler
    Show
    I hope we get to see more of 'The Dark One' in the comic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Halfling in the Playground

I just noticed the Gleaner article under gaming. I guess they are friends then. I'm just not capable of understanding that sort of humour it seems. I am still interested in the eye colour thing though.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Remnants of party from previous DM's campaign appeared in a ruined castle along with new players after they stopped a ritual that went wrong. They were just in time to stop another ritual.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I have a new favorite word, evilgasm

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

#will never get it because of shipping issues#

5. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

@Gijs: Why new? It was first mentioned in that one online OOTS strip.
    My random thoughts about:
    Dungeon Crawling Fools - OtOoPCs - NCftPB - War and XPs

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

@inbedmon: Have you tried to have someone else in this boards buy one and send it to you?
    The abilities of the Force: Control, Alter, Delete.
    Zombie Apocalypse if and only if Cake.
    My Little Dashie made me cry.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ref View Post
    @inbedmon: Have you tried to have someone else in this boards buy one and send it to you?
    That doesn't cut the shipping costs
    That, and the exchange rate between America-England favours me, so anyone buying it for me and then mailing it over would be severely hoodwinked
    Last edited by Lyinginbedmon; 2007-08-26 at 04:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278

Spoiler
    Show
    In light of the revelations about the gate, Tsukiko just became REALLY important. Ether Xykon OR Redcloak could use her to bypass the need for the other one. THAT'S going to make things interesting.
    Ever Vigilant
    Ever Prepared

I like REAL lawful good characters. , , and ESPECIALLY
    Not phony ones.

Fantastic avatar by Quincunx

9. - Top - End - #279

RangerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Tsukiko would side with Xykon, no question, but Xykon can't replace Redcloak as he's the goblin with the Ritual Skillz. Unless Xykon just kills him and puts the cloak on Tsukiko...
    fool'd you wid' Logic!

Thanks to Dr. Bath for Detritus pic

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

SPOILER from today's comic.

Spoiler
    Show

Has this been mentioned else where? I have not seen it.

Did anyone notice the Ninja is Green! Am I the only one who suspects a certain someones missing Daughter as the Ninja?
    Custom avatar thanks to Abardam.

A perfect argument does not employ words. -
    Chuang-tzu

11. - Top - End - #281
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lavidor10 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tsukiko would side with Xykon, no question, but Xykon can't replace Redcloak as he's the goblin with the Ritual Skillz. Unless Xykon just kills him and puts the cloak on Tsukiko...
    Spoiler
    Show
    He'd be kinda boned (rimshot) if the cloak doesn't work for humans, though....

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaunt View Post
    SPOILER from today's comic.

Spoiler
    Show

Has this been mentioned else where? I have not seen it.

Did anyone notice the Ninja is Green! Am I the only one who suspects a certain someones missing Daughter as the Ninja?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The color scheme doesn't match a Goblins, though. However it does match a Half-Orc/Orc. So the Ninja Leader is probably some sort of Orc decendant.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

13. - Top - End - #283
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Bloody awesome book.

Didn't get the dual colored eye joke concerning Keith Baker. What's up w/ that?

14. - Top - End - #284
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I just noticed - on page 8, 9th panel, when Xykon "names" himself, there's a very Xykon-the-lich-looking skull poster behind him. That Burlew, he's a subtle one.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Wolf View Post
    It just so happens I was about to ask about the Keith Baker stuff. I don't follow Eberron, in fact I don't like it at all (Dwarfs with no beard wearing dinner jackets, shudder. Floating ships. Magical trains ). I know Rich was beaten in the world making contest but is the referencing pro or anti? I noticed someone's quote with Keith Baker criticising Rich's art, and Porthos just said the inclusion was a friendly shoutout. Are they friends or rivals? and what's with the eye colour thing. Does he wear contacts?
    Keith has two different color eyes; I met him at a convention once. It's kind of weird. I don't know if it's natural, or he's just wearing contacts. I didn't ask.

And yes, he and Rich are friends. Keith apparently accepted Rich's ENnie for him at GenCon. However, they have an ongoing fake rivalry where they claim to be out to kill one another.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

16. - Top - End - #286

Chimera

Did anyone else notice that:
    Spoiler
    Show
    the inside cover repeated image of Redcloak is the moment where he animates his murdered brother's corpse? In other words, the nadir of his life and his moment of personal humiliation.

It's a 'nice' (you know what I mean) image to stand for the whole book...
    Last edited by Caractacus; 2007-09-02 at 02:12 PM.
    Caractacus

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The color scheme doesn't match a Goblins, though. However it does match a Half-Orc/Orc. So the Ninja Leader is probably some sort of Orc decendant.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ya know that did occur to me, but I thought Maybe his wife was of a slightly different shade of green? But I guess their is really no evidence for that..
    ah well the straws are out of reach.
    Custom avatar thanks to Abardam.

A perfect argument does not employ words. -
    Chuang-tzu

18. - Top - End - #288
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Two things, Caractacus:

1) No, I didn't notice that, mainly because the pose he has on the covers looks absolutely nothing like the pose at the moment you're talking about.

2) How about enclosing that in spoiler tags, since it's a MASSIVE FREAKIN' SPOILER?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

WOW! The SOD book was awsome. It totally shamed Origin of the PCs. Finally I can read this thread without spoiling the book for myself.

About Redcloak:

Spoiler
    Show
    I don`t hate him for killing his brother. Redcloak didn´t think Right-eye was powerful enough to destroy Xykon, and he was right. If Redcloak had not betrayed his brother, Xykon would probably have killed every last goblin and Redcloak. Redcloak did it for his people. In Redcloak`s mind, the plan is bigger than a single goblins life. Remember that the Dark One created the Crimson Mantle so that one goblin cleric would carry out the plan for the betterment of goblinkind. Of course, allying with Xykon has been one disaster after the other for his fellow goblins. Redcloak continues on his mad quest however, because if he stops, besides Xykon killing him, all he has done WILL BE for nothing. He has nothing to loose anymore.

I don´t support the theory that the Crimson Mantle controls him. He can clearly make his own descisions. The Crimson Mantle gave him terrible insight into the Elder Gods wrongdoings against his people and he reacts to that insight. It is his god`s will that the plan continues and he tries to fullfill that plan (with disasterious results.) I´m not trying to excuse Redcloak acts, he is a villain after all, but if he succeds, goblinkind wins and he finally gets his revenge on Xykon. Xykon: " Where did my gate dissappear to, and why is this giant purple goblin stepping on my head?"

Last edited by Oxymoron; 2007-08-30 at 06:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chrismith View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now that you mention it, that makes a lot of sense. Remember V's prediction from the Oracle? Maybe this is how he finally achieves ultimate arcane power?
    or else, how -she- finally achieves ultimate arcane power.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron View Post
    WOW! The SOD book was awsome. It totally shamed Origin of the PCs. Finally I can read this thread without spoiling the book for myself.

About Redcloak:

Spoiler
    Show
    I don`t hate him for killing his brother. Redcloak didn´t think Right-eye was powerful enough to destroy Xykon, and he was right. If Redcloak had not betrayed his brother, Xykon would probably have killed every last goblin and Redcloak. Redcloak did it for his people. In Redcloak`s mind, the plan is bigger than a single goblins life. Remember that the Dark One created the Crimson Mantle so that one goblin cleric would carry out the plan for the betterment of goblinkind. Of course, allying with Xykon has been one disaster after the other for his fellow goblins. Redcloak continues on his mad quest however, because if he stops, besides Xykon killing him, all he has done WILL BE for nothing. He has nothing to loose anymore.

I don´t support the theory that the Crimson Mantle controls him. He can clearly make his own descisions. The Crimson Mantle gave him terrible insight into the Elder Gods wrongdoings against his people and he reacts to that insight. It is his god`s will that the plan continues and he tries to fullfill that plan (with disasterious results.) I´m not trying to excuse Redcloak acts, he is a villain after all, but if he succeds, goblinkind wins and he finally gets his revenge on Xykon. Xykon: " Where did my gate dissappear to, and why is this giant purple goblin stepping on my head?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't hate him either. And I'm sure he's really doing it for goblinkind. if you remember, he knows that if the plan fails and he can't control the gate, he's going not only to die, but to lose his soul. He still said it would be a positive outcome (although not the best) as the Gods would crate a new world and The Dark One would be included from the start, this time.
    He's still a villain. Not really caring about the world being destroyed and every single living being losing their soul isn't a very good thing. the fact that he does care about being one of them, though, proves that he's brave, and not selfish.

22. - Top - End - #292

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Two things, Caractacus:

1) No, I didn't notice that, mainly because the pose he has on the covers looks absolutely nothing like the pose at the moment you're talking about.

2) How about enclosing that in spoiler tags, since it's a MASSIVE FREAKIN' SPOILER?
    Whooops!

Sorted and retracted - in that order...
    Caractacus

23. - Top - End - #293
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I just got and read it, and it was fantastic.

Spoiler
    Show
    I loved the Stargate reference. That was a thing of beauty.

I'm a whole lot more impressed with Xykon's evil now...and have lost pretty much all respect for Redcloak.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

The Red Voiced Big Bad Evil Guy

Spoiler
    Show
    And XykLon the fat demodand or whatever that thing was. I wonder if they are one and the same?

I know the "Evil Overlords" Sabine reported to were tall and thin, but the robes could be magical. Roomier on the inside, slimming on the outside. Still, it will be several months, if not a year or two, before Rich gets to revealing Red Voice.
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

25. - Top - End - #295
    Bugbear in the Playground

I rather liked the touch at the beginning in...

Spoiler
    Show
    Xykon's room with the skull poster, which was particularly prominent in when he names himself Xykon and kills his parents. Punk Rockerish kid to Overlord, nice evolution of villainy. Upon finishing the book I believe Xykon is even more my favorite character as a villain who is not just funny but genuinely cruel and destructive in his own right.

Also I liked the ending...

Spoiler
    Show
    It was indeed tragic for Redcloak, who learns the consequences of his fanaticism to the Plan. Now in too far to back out, he's stuck with no option save for aiding Xykon in his mad bid for power in hopes that it will eventually work out and the Plan will succeed. Perhaps rather than the Snarl, The Dark One would likely be the Campaign-ending boss of the series who will eventually confront the Order directly, who will likely remind him of the same "Order" that slaughters his High Priests.
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

I have a question that perhaps someone who understands D&D could answer:

Spoiler
    Show
    Why didn't Redcloak raise Righteye's wife and children from the dead? We know he can cast the spell, as he contemplates using it on Righteye. Is there a good reason for this neglect on his part? Are the children too weak to survive the experience, or is there some other explanation? I am assuming there must be one, since the rest of the book is so tightly plotted...

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Xykon might not have allowed him access to the 5000 gp in diamonds that each casting of raise dead requires, or he might simply not have been able to find enough. Also, 1st level characters lose a point of Constitution if they're raised, and considering what a monumental **** Xykon is, the possibility of him killing them until they run out of CON may have also influenced Redcloak's decision.

My first thought was that he wasn't of high enough level at that point, but then I recalled that it had been mentioned earlier in the book that he was able to cast flame strike, a spell of equal level to that of raise dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marstov View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Why didn't Redcloak raise Righteye's wife and children from the dead? We know he can cast the spell, as he contemplates using it on Righteye. Is there a good reason for this neglect on his part? Are the children too weak to survive the experience, or is there some other explanation? I am assuming there must be one, since the rest of the book is so tightly plotted...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Besides the technical details, we need to keep in mind that the goblins are evil, something easy to forget in SOD. And restoring life to a helpless child is rather not near the top on your list of evil deeds.
    Indeed, the more we look at Raise Dead, or healing in general, the more reason we find for restricting its use by evil types. Its good intent is just too obvious, and too disgusting for our evils. It is something to be done out of necessity, not because it can be.
    Right-eye and even more so Redcloak would want to use the spell power in seeking revenge rather than restoration.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Marstov View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Raise Dead requires a mostly intact body (not guaranteed), that the body have not been killed by certain spells (some of which Xykon can cast), that the character has not been raised as an undead (which Xykon can do), costs 5,000 GP (for earnings power 1 GP is probably about $200, so that's roughly equivelant to a million dollars), only works within a few days of the death, requires that the target WANTS to come back, and permanently drains either 1 character level or 2 points of Con if the character was level 1, so they come back noticably weaker than they were previously.

5,000 GP is a substantial fraction of the total wealth of an entire Goblin Tribe with hundreds of adult warriors, some of them with noticable level.

There are lots of reasons to not raise someone. Note that Durkon is just as capable of Raising or Resurecting someone as Redcloak, and that if he ever gets arround to casting the spell on Roy it will probably be the first successful Raise Dead or Ressurect that we've seen. And the costs are so high that this is perfectly reasonable.

Most of the above might have stopped Redcloak. We don't know what killed them or what condition the bodies were in or if they were raised or if Redcloak even HAD 5,000 GP in diamonds available at the time.

Resurection is a higher level spell, Redcloak in the comic has cast spells of the appropriate level so he can probably manage it now, could he then? And in any case the cost is twice as high. It does need the body but doesn't care about condition (the dust left by a disintigrate is enough), it will work on creatures that had been raised as undead as long as you first destroy the undead creature, and works over a longer period of time.

True Resurection is even better (don't need the body to exist at all, don't lose a level or any Con), but we have no indication that Redcloak can cast it, and the 25,000 GP cost is even worse.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Thanks to everyone who replied to my Raise Dead question...

Spoiler
    Show
    I suspected that the process might be too much of a strain for children to survive, and from what people have said about the effects I suspect that even if you wanted to do so, you couldn't successfully raise a child more than once or twice. For all we know, the scene of Righteye's family dying wasn't the first time they were killed, and this event marked when they were beyond saving.

I don't agree that goblins wouldn't use Raise Dead because they're "evil". If nothing else, SoD shows us the enormous difference between different flavors of antagonists. Initially, I wouldn't have considered the Brothers Goblin evil just for fighting the humans. Spin it around the other way: if two humans got up an army to attack a goblin fortress after goblins destroyed their village, would you call them evil? Clearly the goblins as portrayed here love each other as much as other people do; I can't imagine they wouldn't use healing spells on each other.

Redcloak works his way to an evil alignment pretty quickly, I think, based on his callous indifference to the suffering of everyone around him, especially the other goblins that look to him for guidance. Righteye, on the other hand, recognizes that revenge is not worth giving up his own life and eventually becomes what I'd consider a force for good, or at least neutrality.

Xykon, on the other hand...

SoD is my favorite OOS book to date. I can't wait to see where Mr. Burlew takes the story next.