New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery II

Quote Originally Posted by pjackson View Post
    It looks likely that Redcloak has at least one rank in Climb (to climb his mount) and one in Ride.
    Not necessarily. (both can be used untrained).

2. - Top - End - #872
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aimbot View Post
    That's not really true. The Japanese Islands have very poor mineral resources. The folding process was done to remove impurities common to the native materials. It also helps to hold a sharper edge, but the durability is really not comparable to a traditional western longsword made with western steel, which was naturally superior. I might be mistaken, but I don't think I am.
    I have a book on the subject, and the advantage in the folding process is combining two features. Western swords tend to be made out of either hard or soft steel. Hard holds a real good edge but is more brittle, better for something like a rapier. Soft is durable but doesn't hold its edge very well, but you need the durability for a big smashing claymore. A katana's folded steel allows for the benefits of both with a hard edge and soft core. (Relatively speaking metal is still metal)

That and the katana's shape allows for better slicing, but still is decent for thrusting.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Also, his Patron Deity seems to be called "The Dark One".
    His patron deity is likely Maglubiyet, the god of goblins and hobgoblins.
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglubiyet
    Maglubiyet's many titles include: Fiery-Eyes, the Mighty One, the High Chieftain, and the Lord of Depths and Darkness.

The Dark One is a title sometimes used by Tharizdun, but I doubt Tharizdun would have any problem with using hobgoblins as fodder.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Sage View Post
    I have a book on the subject, and the advantage in the folding process is combining two features. Western swords tend to be made out of either hard or soft steel. Hard holds a real good edge but is more brittle, better for something like a rapier.
    The anglo-saxons made swords by folding, but the technique was abandoned when better steel became available.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by seans23 View Post
    His patron deity is likely Maglubiyet, the god of goblins and hobgoblins.
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglubiyet
    Maglubiyet's many titles include: Fiery-Eyes, the Mighty One, the High Chieftain, and the Lord of Depths and Darkness.

The Dark One is a title sometimes used by Tharizdun, but I doubt Tharizdun would have any problem with using hobgoblins as fodder.
    I don't think Redcloak's god is Maglubiyet, author didn't use generic D&D deites in OOTS so far. The question is, is The Dark One real name of Redcloak's god, or only title.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Felistor View Post
    Which is why I used the word "likely".

7. - Top - End - #877
    Dwarf in the Playground

Uh, about Redcloak's deity not being a generic D&D character because the Giant hasn't used generic D&D deities, look up Tiamat. Here's the proof of Tiamat being used.
    Spoiler
    Show

PsyBlade, Ayna, and Baiyan by GryffonDurime

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

Tiamat isn't generic D&D diety. D&D adapted it from Sumerian and Babylonian mythology. And Tiamat in OOTS appears as one of the Gods of the West, all of whom look like Sumerian or Babylonian gods- at least that what I assume, I'm green when it comes to Sumerian mythology.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-05-13 at 05:00 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #879

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    I don't think Redcloak's god is Maglubiyet, author didn't use generic D&D deites in OOTS so far. The question is, is The Dark One real name of Redcloak's god, or only title.
    Maglubiyet is also described at a giant black skinned goblin... I'd say that qualifies.

10. - Top - End - #880

We know the four groups of gods used involved in the creation of the OOTS world. Two features of D&D cosmology foul that up though. First are new deities that a born through various means. Second are interloper deities that come from some other cosmology some other creation.

So we are not limited to three pantheons to draw deities from potentially. Based on the two pantheons we no more than a hint of I wouldn't be suprised if Redcloak's god is a usurper and not from the three pantheons active. Would explain why Redcloak is working with Xykon against something that would hurt all the existing gods.
    Last edited by Gavin Sage; 2007-05-13 at 09:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Sage View Post
    We know the four groups of gods used involved in the creation of the OOTS world. Two features of D&D cosmology foul that up though. First are new deities that a born through various means. Second are interloper deities that come from some other cosmology some other creation.

So we are not limited to three pantheons to draw deities from potentially. Based on the two pantheons we no more than a hint of I wouldn't be suprised if Redcloak's god is a usurper and not from the three pantheons active. Would explain why Redcloak is working with Xykon against something that would hurt all the existing gods.
    There's no evidence of Interlopers other than the Creators. However, the Elves & the Goblins did create their own pantheons. It says so here. I believe this means 's Patron is Homebrew.
    Treasurer of the Fan Club. (And in desperate need of donations).

A fan before it was cool.

Probationary conscript of the Fan Club.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

12. - Top - End - #882

Yeah but I was mostly pointing out how we are not in fact limited to the three pantheons so that just supports it. Since we know there is a goblin god and given Reddies latest speech then that probably cinches it.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hinjo appears to have leveled to 11 since the Miko fight :)

2 attacks then, 3 now.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ogre in the Playground

From Strip 454, Haley has a Longbow, not a Shortbow.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

15. - Top - End - #885
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pjackson
    It looks likely that Redcloak has at least one rank in Climb (to climb his mount) and one in Ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felistor
    He may also have a rank or more in Handle Animal. He's gotta be doing something to get the elephant to go where he wants it to. (N.B. Climb, Ride, and Handle Animal are all cross-class skills for a cleric. Oddly, you don't get H.A. as a class skill from the Animal domain.)

16. - Top - End - #886
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quikngruvn View Post
    He may also have a rank or more in Handle Animal. He's gotta be doing something to get the elephant to go where he wants it to.
    It's a fiendish elephant. It's not an animal; it's a magical beast with an Intelligence of 3. It's not particularly smart, but it's smart enough to follow simple commands.

More to the point, you can't use Handle Animal on a creature with an Intelligence score other then 1 or 2.

17. - Top - End - #887

Which also tells us she has a Martial Weapon Proficiency (longbow) to use it as she's not an elf and Rogues don't get the longbow last I checked. Or has a class level we aren't aware of.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    It's a fiendish elephant. It's not an animal; it's a magical beast with an Intelligence of 3. It's not particularly smart, but it's smart enough to follow simple commands.

More to the point, you can't use Handle Animal on a creature with an Intelligence score other then 1 or 2.
    D'oh! That's what I get for sticking druidicity into clericfulness....

It would also mean that Speak With Animals wouldn't have worked (not a clerical spell anyway, but is a power of the Animal domain). Though I can imagine house rules where Magical Beast would be the equivalent of Animal under certain circumstances.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ogre in the Playground

Updated! And the Martial Weapon Proficiency Feat as well.
    Here is a numbering of all character appearances in OOTS

20. - Top - End - #890
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Haley has either Rapid Shot or is level 15+. In comic 454, she makes 3 attacks per round. She can't have haste, can't cast it and if had, it would have worn off by the sniping scene.

Wild speculation, thought it might help.

Edit: Make that four attacks. Hm.
    Last edited by wackodraco; 2007-05-19 at 09:58 PM.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wackodraco View Post
    Haley has either Rapid Shot or is level 15+. In comic 454, she makes 3 attacks per round. She can't have haste, can't cast it and if had, it would have worn off by the sniping scene.

Wild speculation, thought it might help.

Edit: Make that four attacks. Hm.
    Unless it just got put in today or something, Rapid Shot has been there from comic #62.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shott View Post
    Unless it just got put in today or something, Rapid Shot has been there from comic #62.
    Uh, she says she's so glad she took Manyshot, not Rapid Shot. They're different feats.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

23. - Top - End - #893
    Pixie in the Playground

Uh, she says she's so glad she took Manyshot, not Rapid Shot. They're different feats.
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html

A little rapid shot action should take him down a notch.

24. - Top - End - #894

Updated! And the Martial Weapon Proficiency Feat as well.
    There's more than one way to skin that cat.

Some have suggested Haley is an Aasimar or similar native outsider. Outsiders (including Aasimar) are proficient with all Martial Weapons. (It's not listed in the "Aasimar as player characters" section, but it is inherent in the Outsider Type. The Sage has clarified that Aasimar and Tieflings do get it.)

Now, I think it more likely she took the feat or took a fighter level, myself. Aasimar should have some visible sign that they are not human, and Haley's not drawn that way. But, it is fuel for the controversy.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rapid and Point blank are preq for Manyshot, which is why they're linked.
    Last edited by Shott; 2007-05-20 at 12:59 PM.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

could we get a update on Hinjo?
    it seems that he is minimum lv 11 (he has 3 attacks in 453), and that he is pretty tough, surviving both a Harm, some ninja action and a unknown fire spell.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground

His declaration about his ability to make good saving throws suggest to me his Charisma is fairly high, probably around the 14-18 region. I'd definately place him around level 11 or 12, but not much higher, as that means Miko could still easily outmatch him. I still contend that, just because he uses it two-handed, it doesn't mean he hasn't taken EWP for the Katana, thus meaning his strength is at least 13. Besides, we have Miko taking EWP for her Katana, so we can't say her sword is a Bastard Sword while his is a Longsword.
    Last edited by RMS Oceanic; 2007-05-20 at 01:22 PM.
    - The Flying Kipper

28. - Top - End - #898
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aimbot View Post
    That's not really true. The Japanese Islands have very poor mineral resources. The folding process was done to remove impurities common to the native materials. It also helps to hold a sharper edge, but the durability is really not comparable to a traditional western longsword made with western steel, which was naturally superior. I might be mistaken, but I don't think I am.
    You are quite right... I meant to include that, however folding steel is a better way to make a blade... The west started with superior materials and an inferior method and the east had inferior materials and a superior method

29. - Top - End - #899
    Troll in the Playground

Hard to read through this thread, so I don't know if this was brought up.. but doesn't Belkar at least have 12 Con?

Even that last d12 HD can't make up for 11 levels of d8+Con. Miko has two katana strikes left, which she hits Roy with.
    He says +Con, which is evidence he has a bonus of some sort. Right?

30. - Top - End - #900

Quote Originally Posted by Kreistor View Post
    There's more than one way to skin that cat.

Some have suggested Haley is an Aasimar or similar native outsider. Outsiders (including Aasimar) are proficient with all Martial Weapons. (It's not listed in the "Aasimar as player characters" section, but it is inherent in the Outsider Type. The Sage has clarified that Aasimar and Tieflings do get it.)

Now, I think it more likely she took the feat or took a fighter level, myself. Aasimar should have some visible sign that they are not human, and Haley's not drawn that way. But, it is fuel for the controversy.
    Is there any evidence for that idea? Yes the whole evil opposite thing Sabine, but that's alone means the whole theory is in loony territory with just about any other possiblity.