New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1520
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery II

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Star View Post
    In today's comic said that his home was destroyed 35 years ago. Now, I don't know exactly how long Goblins live, but I say that would make him at least Middle Aged.
    We already know from SoD that he is 51, though I forget the exact chain of deduction.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    More geekery:

Haley has ranks in Sense Motive, meaning at least two.
    Good catch!
    Here is a numbering of all character appearances in OOTS

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    We already know from SoD that he is 51, though I forget the exact chain of deduction.
    SoD spoiler:

Spoiler
    Show
    While I don't remember Redcloak's exact age, it's important to remember that he ages extremely slowly because of the Crimson Mantle. During SoD, we see RC's younger brother go from child to middle-aged while Redcloak's appearance remains the same.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Barbarian in the Playground

From #480 we can now define one of Redcloak's domains as Destruction. Also, unless I'm forgetting some old strip, he hasn't cast 8th level spells, and with his 3 lvl-7 spells he cast during the battle (Summon Monster VII, Destruction, Disintegrate), I'd say there's a good chance he's lvl 14.
    "When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive." –Malkavian proverb

"From the tiny egg the great wyrm grows." –Kobold proverb

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
    From #480 we can now define one of Redcloak's domains as Destruction. Also, unless I'm forgetting some old strip, he hasn't cast 8th level spells, and with his 3 lvl-7 spells he cast during the battle (Summon Monster VII, Destruction, Disintegrate), I'd say there's a good chance he's lvl 14.
    He cast Extended Summon Monster 7, which is an 8th level spell. Plus, his Blade Barrier is 15d6 of whirling death. He's at least 15th level.
    Wielder of a +3 Occam's Razor of Smiting (and questing for Occam's Vorpal Razor of Disruption)

Want to know the current status of everyone in OotS? Check here: Where the heck IS everybody?

6. - Top - End - #1296

Quote Originally Posted by Chrismith View Post
    SoD spoiler:

Spoiler
    Show
    While I don't remember Redcloak's exact age, it's important to remember that he ages extremely slowly because of the Crimson Mantle. During SoD, we see RC's younger brother go from child to middle-aged while Redcloak's appearance remains the same.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh yes -- 50 is considered old age for a golbin, judging by their remarks on page 27. Redcloak has gone beyond 50 without showing any signs of aging.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh yes -- 50 is considered old age for a golbin, judging by their remarks on page 27. Redcloak has gone beyond 50 without showing any signs of aging.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And considering Right-Eye's comments about age and Wisdom (and Redcloak's doubt about them), it doesn't look like he got any of the benefits of advancing Age Categories, either. So I would say that he is still in the same age category (adulthood) as he was when he first put on the cloak, regardless of what it says on his birth certificate.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2007-08-06 at 12:37 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quikngruvn View Post
    He's at least 15th level.
    Plus, he can almost stand up against Miko pre-fall, whereas Miko can kick the Order's ass.

9. - Top - End - #1299

I really need to get that book, don't I?

D*MN YOU EXPENSES!

*Shakes fist in impotent rage*
    Treasurer of the Fan Club. (And in desperate need of donations).

A fan before it was cool.

Probationary conscript of the Fan Club.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Titan in the Playground

I was thinking about Vaarsuvius having the listing "improved counterspell, or memorizes a lot of dispels". First I thought, V obviously does not memorize a lot of dispels, since he prefers Fireball/Lightning Bolt as his 3rd level spells. Then I thought, wait a minute, you can actually dispel a spell with itself (that's pretty much the point). It so happens that the Brigand girl casts only spells that V is also pretty fond of casting, so perhaps V doesn't have that feat after all...

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Has there ever been any indication that xykon knows any epic spells? Because some of those are nasty (I'd play, but I'd rather summon ten dragons with one spell).

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I don't know if this is useful, but about Belkar's Wisdom. It's too low to use healing scrolls, but when he has Owl's Wisdom cast on him(+4 Wis), he's able to. So, that means he's no more than 4 Wisdom below the required amount to use healing scrolls. So, for the sake of arguments, since I don't know what Wisdom you need, let's say you need 15 Wisdom to use healing scrolls. That means that Belkar's Wisdom cannot be lower than 11.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cousinbj13 View Post
    I don't know if this is useful, but about Belkar's Wisdom.
    It's been discussed to death. To cast a spell of level X, you need a wisdom of 10 + X. Since CMW is a 3rd-level spell, that means Belkar's wisdom is 9, +4 of the Owl spell would be sufficient to cast it. Yes, I'm aware that on other spell lists, CMW is 4th level, but that's a can of worms, so I'll just assume a cleric wrote that scroll.

And Leo, interesting point, but Xykon doesn't seem the type to sit down and research a spell.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know if this is useful, but about Belkar's Wisdom. It's too low to use healing scrolls, but when he has Owl's Wisdom cast on him(+4 Wis), he's able to. So, that means he's no more than 4 Wisdom below the required amount to use healing scrolls. So, for the sake of arguments, since I don't know what Wisdom you need, let's say you need 15 Wisdom to use healing scrolls. That means that Belkar's Wisdom cannot be lower than 11.
    We've been over that in great, excruciating detail. Taken literally, that would be evidence that Belkar's wisdom is exactly 10 (any lower, and he can't cast Cure Serious Wounds even with V's spell; any higher, and he could cast level 1 spells on his own). However, this is in conflict with the Vulture Stew comic, where he says he has a wisdom penalty. The general consensus is that his wisdom is 9 or less, and there was some sort of stretching of the rules with the healing scrolls for the sake of the joke.

And I agree with Kurald Galain that V doesn't need improved counterspell. Most of Samantha's spell list seems to overlap a lot with what V prepares, so e could just counter with the same spell for most of them, and even if there's one or two that V doesn't have, e seems to be in the good habit of always memorizing at least one Dispell Magic (at least, we've never seen a situation where it would be useful where e didn't have it). Nor is it a big deal for V to use up 3rd-level spell slots, with that Ring of Wizardry.

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Alright. Just wanted to make sure it had been discussed, and I wasn't about to read 50+ pages to find out.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Kurald I see your point and raise you one 'Xykons moderatly escapable forcecage'.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Reddie has to be at least 20 lvl to rebuke Xykon. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0422.html

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paallikko View Post
    Reddie has to be at least 20 lvl to rebuke Xykon. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0422.html
    Hehe
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by paallikko View Post
    Errr.. You folks want to be the one to tell him, or should I?
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

20. - Top - End - #1310

BardGuy

Thanks, Paallikko - I'd forgotton what a great stip #422 was. I hadn't read it since reading SOD. This time, it gave me chills.

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Eh. We can just wait until he gets to #431 on his own.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Orc in the Playground

That Xykon has three brothers? Go right ahead!
    Wielder of a +3 Occam's Razor of Smiting (and questing for Occam's Vorpal Razor of Disruption)

Want to know the current status of everyone in OotS? Check here: Where the heck IS everybody?

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ettin in the Playground

Um, I believed that this was joke

If he was serious, we finally know identity!

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Orc in the Playground

does anyone know if lien is at least level 8?

also, add Teevo to Xykon's equipment.
    - I like the world. Some of my best evilness took place here. I wouldn't mind ruling it, in fact.
    - Nah, Teevo is helping me edit my submission to "World's Funniest Protagonist Deaths"
    - Badass. REALLY badass.

Nominated for Xykon in the Playground:

Official Biophiliac of the Xykon fan club.

REALLY badass avatar by Dr.Bath

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RAGE KING! View Post
    does anyone know if lien is at least level 8?
    According to Defenders of the Faith, you have to be at least level 6 to have a large shark as a mount -- that book is 3.0, but the 3.5 PHB doesn't seem to contain any info about the levels at which mounts become available, so I don't know if it still applies or not. In any case, she's minimum level 5 or 6.

More telling might be the fact that she defeated the Giant Octopus mostly on her own -- a base Giant Octopus is CR 8, but I think there was some lengthy debate that resulted in proving that the octopus was huge, meaning it has a minimum of 13 HD. So to be effective against a CR ~13 octopus, I would guess that she has to be at least level 8 or 10, possibly higher.

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Dwarf in the Playground

According to Defenders of the Faith, you have to be at least level 6 to have a large shark as a mount -- that book is 3.0, but the 3.5 PHB doesn't seem to contain any info about the levels at which mounts become available, so I don't know if it still applies or not. In any case, she's minimum level 5 or 6.
    Special paladin mounts are actually in the 3.5 DMG. You have to be 6th level for a Large Shark.

27. - Top - End - #1317

More telling might be the fact that she defeated the Giant Octopus mostly on her own -- a base Giant Octopus is CR 8, but I think there was some lengthy debate that resulted in proving that the octopus was huge, meaning it has a minimum of 13 HD. So to be effective against a CR ~13 octopus, I would guess that she has to be at least level 8 or 10, possibly higher.
    The Octopus being Huge hasn't been definitely proven. However, if it was, then it would indeed be a CR 13. However, if it's only Large, then it would have been a CR 10.
    Treasurer of the Fan Club. (And in desperate need of donations).

A fan before it was cool.

Probationary conscript of the Fan Club.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Hey guys, I'll admit I haven't read the whole thread, but shouldn't Redcloak's Charisma read as "Cha ≥ 12"

As proof, he attempts "turn undead" 4 times, (twice in 459, once in 461, and once again in 462), and since the amount of times you can attempt to turn is your Charisma modifier + 3, it stands to reason he has atleast a +1 modifier.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenKitsune View Post
    Hey guys, I'll admit I haven't read the whole thread, but shouldn't Redcloak's Charisma read as "Cha ≥ 12"

As proof, he attempts "turn undead" 4 times, (twice in 459, once in 461, and once again in 462), and since the amount of times you can attempt to turn is your Charisma modifier + 3, it stands to reason he has atleast a +1 modifier.
    Sounds reasonable. At least 12 Charisma, probably little more and/or Extra Turning feat judging on how many ghosts he was able to turn...

30. - Top - End - #1320

I'd say higher, seeing as the goblins who worked for him in Dorukan's Dungeon seemed to like him well enough.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.