New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Rio 2016 Olympics

Disclaimer: I don't think there's anywhere else to put this. There's no sports board, after all. If there's a better place to put it could a mod move it please.

So what do you all think of the Rio 2016 opening ceremony/games so far?
    Spoiler: things in which I used to be involved before i was claimed by the great pestilence of exams
    Show
    The One Sane Drow (Vergil: Drow Sorcerer 5, CN)
    The Uprise (IC/OOC) (Ker'anson: Drow Arcane Spellcaster 4, NE)

Running Total Of Things I've Critically Hit That Jormengand Didn't Want Me To Critically Hit: 3

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Rio 2016 Olympics

I've heard no shortage of horror stories about the venue. Apparently one athlete got robbed at gunpoint by the local police, there's been killer jellyfish sightings near the 10 KM swimming venue, the water quality is abysmal, the Golf Course is full of dangerous animals, and many other fun little incidents, and the event proper has hardly even started.

Rio was a mistake, is what I'm saying, and I'm praying that things don't turn into an absolute disaster before it's all over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Incidentally, this is why you never see a group of halflings together. Their collective gravitational force could rip apart fabric of space-time. No halfling can ever spend too much time near another halfling, lest they end the planet as they know it. They live solitary lives, separated from their own mothers from infancy, for the sake of the planet. It is a grave burden they bear...
    There are three halflings at the Godsmoot. Guess how the Gods will destroy the world if Dvalin votes yes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The women's soccer is the only stuff I've watched so far. Canada game was pretty great, but unfortunately I missed the USA game.

The list of teams for both men's and women's is...weird. No Japan for the women is decidedly odd, given how much of a powerhouse they've been in recent years. For the Men's...no US. No England (although they only started competing in the Olympics recently, so not really a surprise), no Spain, no Netherlands. No France, no Italy, no Belgium. Out of all the powerhouse European nations, Sweden and Denmark of all nations made it through. The whole thing is kind of a headscratcher.

The only thing I can think is that the rules for competing in the Olympics is different from the World Cup, which must have had a dramatic effect on team composition to cause the set of teams we actually got.

I will certainly tune in for the inevitable Brazil v. Germany re-match though. Now THERE is a grudge match I wouldn't miss for the world.

------

In terms of the other sports, I just hope NBC does a better job with their online streaming than last time. There were a bunch of sports I would have watched, but the individual sports streams did not have commentary. If you watched on the actual NBC channel on your TV...sure, commentary on the action to guide you through what was going on. Online? Nothing. Just a camera pointed at the action. If you're a fan of the sport you could get by, but for watching sports you're not familiar with? Utterly impossible.

Streaming has come a long way in 4 years, so I'm hopeful.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    The list of teams for both men's and women's is...weird. No Japan for the women is decidedly odd, given how much of a powerhouse they've been in recent years. For the Men's...no US. No England (although they only started competing in the Olympics recently, so not really a surprise), no Spain, no Netherlands. No France, no Italy, no Belgium. Out of all the powerhouse European nations, Sweden and Denmark of all nations made it through. The whole thing is kind of a headscratcher.
    Last time the Brits went to an international soccer tournament they got Brexit. Probably don't want to risk finding out what else can happen.
    Now with half the calories!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I really wish they'd introduce proper rugby instead of just sevens.
    Spoiler: things in which I used to be involved before i was claimed by the great pestilence of exams
    Show

Running Total Of Things I've Critically Hit That Jormengand Didn't Want Me To Critically Hit: 3

6. - Top - End - #6

RedWizardGuy

The golf course with alligators is true, and its exactly as intended - having the local fauna and flora was the goal of the project. Hope it works better than what happened with the "onça" - a species of Brazilian Bobcat, that was supposed to be exhibited along with the torch in part of its trajectory through the country, but the animal escaped its handlers and was sacrificed. Yeah, one of the species of the mascots of the games - good thing we got two.

The thing about Killer Jellyfish probably isn't much of concern. The water quality on the place intended for open sea events is pretty bad, but it's still used by hundreds of thousands persons per year, and the incidents are exceeding rare.

Brazilians were generally pessimistic, but the opening ceremony have lifted the moods considerably. The World Cup opening was considered very underwhelming by our festivities standards. This time people feel the event ceremony was really ours.

Despite all the drumming of local media, most people felt very alienated from the event, wasn't as easy for the average Brazilian to identify with this event as was with the World Cup. There was a huge gap in communication between popular opinion and the event organization. Won't say more because it would be political.

Now, if you want to see how hilarious was the torch journey through Brazil, I will leave this
    https://youtu.be/b4LfOuPjJ8Y
    Last edited by Slayn82; 2016-08-06 at 07:46 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Oh, hey, table tennis!

*loads the feed*

*no commentary*

/facepalm

WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT!!?????

8. - Top - End - #8

RedWizardGuy

Hope Solo did an awful comment about the Zika epidemic back in June. Today, in the USA female team soccer match against France, every time she touches the ball, the audience screams ZIKA! Bonus points because in Brazil, since a long time, to put a Zica on someone is to give them the evil eye. That level of rivalry is usually reserved to Argentina.

Zika is a concern, but it's outbreak is very small. Dengue fever is endemic, but we aren't on season for it. If someone needs to be wary from diseases, it's Brazil. We got 2 new viruses as the World Cup legacy, and there wasn't people from the almost every country concentrated mostly at a single city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I liked the opening ceremonies alright. Not as elaborate as some I've seen in the past (looking at you, China), but it told the story of Brazil fairly well and had an uplifting spirit to it all. Big dance party. Lots of fun. I really liked the idea they had of planting tree seeds, and I hope the 'athlete's forest' grows strong over the years.

There was quite a mean comment made by Matt Lauer to Meredith Viera during the parade of nations. He said that Philip II of Mecedon had won some awards in the ancient Olympics, and Meredith had been there to cover it, implying she was that old. Very mean spirited and out of character for Lauer. I've watch him on TV for years, and lost a bit of respect for him at that moment. I wonder if someone else wrote the joke.

The laurel award they gave to the gentleman from Kenya (I can't recall his name) was a nice touch. Very uplifting and in the spirit of the olympics. The speech the head of the olympic committee was nice, if simple, but when you have to translate it into like 3 different languages, simple is good.

I'm looking forward to the events. Swimming's always a favorite in our house. Gymnastic's usually good. If I can catch the fencing that would be great. And my fiance's family is looking forward to the Judo competition (his dad's a coach).

I really hope things go relatively smoothly. I really, truly love the olympics and all of the good it represents. I'd hate for anything bad to happen that would mar that reputation.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I've been enjoying the fencing thus far, but I'm a bit lost without commentary on some of the rules. I've been able to get that when someone's helmet flashes they scored a hit, and sometimes they both score hits and get a point. But what does it mean when someone's helmet flashes and they DON'T score a point? Was there a foul? What constitutes an illegal touch?

Still good fun to watch regardless.

Edit: I was also surprised to see a lot of people wearing wedding bands on their off-hands. Okay, you're not using that hand but then we don't let people wear rings in soccer either. It just seems like a really bad idea to have a ring that could get caught on something in a contact sport.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2016-08-06 at 10:35 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

oh I'm trying to recall what's an illegal touch or foul in fencing. It differs from style to style. With Epee fencing, which I think was today's matches, the whole body is fair game, but in foil fencing you're restricted to hits on the torso. I can't remember the rules for hitting the head. That might be a bad hit? I'm not sure. Hope that helps a little.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Pfff.. the Men Beach Volley Ball Canada/Brazil game was rigged

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

So I've discovered that the CBC's fencing broadcast has commentary, they might be a good alternative to NBC for those not wanting to watch raw footage. Of course, I don't know if CBC's streams will work in the US or elsewhere. I just happen to be in Canada at the moment.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

14. - Top - End - #14

I've loved the games so far! They were pretty cool. I watched most of the fencing matches (obviously I watched them. I'm a fencer; I cheered for the left-handed people because I fence left-handed) but I missed the soccer matches even though I love that sport too. I watched the last dozen minutes of the bike race, the gymnastics, some of the swimming, and the volleyball. I loved the volleyball, and the gymnastics were so powerful-looking. I wish I could do those. i love Brazil and I've lived there before and I want to be there right now to watch everything and experience everything.

I've been enjoying the fencing thus far, but I'm a bit lost without commentary on some of the rules. I've been able to get that when someone's helmet flashes they scored a hit, and sometimes they both score hits and get a point. But what does it mean when someone's helmet flashes and they DON'T score a point? Was there a foul? What constitutes an illegal touch?
    So, they were doing épée (the rules are different with other swords, but I'll only explain épée's rules, for clarity). Artemis is right: the whole body is fair game with épée. If both people hit at the same time, then both lights go off and both people get a point. If only one hits the other, only one person gets a point. (You also get a point if you run the other person off the back, but I didn't see that happen.) There were no fouls from what I saw, and there are no off-target areas that don't count in épée. (With the exception of hitting the floor, of course.)
    A foul would include something like: disregarding the judge-guy, continue fencing after a sword breaks, tackle the other person, or other similar things.

There was one or two times when I was watching that the lights went off but no points were scored, however; I think you're talking about what I saw. When the judge says "Halt" you have to stop fencing, back up, and no touches after that are counted.
    A couple of times, when the fencers practically ran into each other, the judge yelled out "Halt" and then the sword hit, making the light go off. Because the light went off after the match was paused, it didn't count.
    I think that's what you saw and are talking about.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2016-08-07 at 02:03 AM. Reason: I was missing an end parenthesis. (That's the singular for parentheses, right?)
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    I've loved the games so far! They were pretty cool. I watched most of the fencing matches (obviously I watched them. I'm a fencer; I cheered for the left-handed people because I fence left-handed) but I missed the soccer matches even though I love that sport too. I watched the last dozen minutes of the bike race, the gymnastics, some of the swimming, and the volleyball. I loved the volleyball, and the gymnastics were so powerful-looking. I wish I could do those. i love Brazil and I've lived there before and I want to be there right now to watch everything and experience everything.

So, they were doing épée (the rules are different with other swords, but I'll only explain épée's rules, for clarity). Artemis is right: the whole body is fair game with épée. If both people hit at the same time, then both lights go off and both people get a point. If only one hits the other, only one person gets a point. (You also get a point if you run the other person off the back, but I didn't see that happen.) There were no fouls from what I saw, and there are no off-target areas that don't count in épée. (With the exception of hitting the floor, of course.)
    A foul would include something like: disregarding the judge-guy, continue fencing after a sword breaks, tackle the other person, or other similar things.

There was one or two times when I was watching that the lights went off but no points were scored, however; I think you're talking about what I saw. When the judge says "Halt" you have to stop fencing, back up, and no touches after that are counted.
    A couple of times, when the fencers practically ran into each other, the judge yelled out "Halt" and then the sword hit, making the light go off. Because the light went off after the match was paused, it didn't count.
    I think that's what you saw and are talking about.
    Ah! Yes, I'm sure that's what happened. Thanks for the detailed explanation!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

The women's soccer is the only stuff I've watched so far. Canada game was pretty great, but unfortunately I missed the USA game.

The only thing I can think is that the rules for competing in the Olympics is different from the World Cup, which must have had a dramatic effect on team composition to cause the set of teams we actually got.

I will certainly tune in for the inevitable Brazil v. Germany re-match though. Now THERE is a grudge match I wouldn't miss for the world.

------
    England don't compete at the Olympics. Great Britain do. That's not a petty distinction, in most other settings the home nations compete separately so it creates some tension when the separate organisations suddenly have to work together to field a team. I don't think other sports have the same level of difficulty with co-operating, but IIRC it took a massive amount of effort at the last Olympics to get the English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish football associations to agree to enter a joint team - and that was pretty much a one-off just because the event happened to be in London.

Also, I'm no expert but I believe the eligibility criteria for competing at the Olympics are somewhat Byzantine and mean countries are only allowed a small number of professional players in a squad. That tends to mess up the established order in men's football, since for example the entire Icelandic team from Euro '16 would probably be eligible for the Olympics whereas the same definitely can't be said for the likes of France or Italy. EDIT: just checked and it's actually by age, but the effect is still the same in that it restricts the number of world-class players that teams can field.
    Last edited by Ebon_Drake; 2016-08-07 at 10:03 AM.
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    I liked the opening ceremonies alright. Not as elaborate as some I've seen in the past (looking at you, China), but it told the story of Brazil fairly well and had an uplifting spirit to it all. Big dance party. Lots of fun. I really liked the idea they had of planting tree seeds, and I hope the 'athlete's forest' grows strong over the years.

There was quite a mean comment made by Matt Lauer to Meredith Viera during the parade of nations. He said that Philip II of Mecedon had won some awards in the ancient Olympics, and Meredith had been there to cover it, implying she was that old. Very mean spirited and out of character for Lauer. I've watch him on TV for years, and lost a bit of respect for him at that moment. I wonder if someone else wrote the joke.

The laurel award they gave to the gentleman from Kenya (I can't recall his name) was a nice touch. Very uplifting and in the spirit of the olympics. The speech the head of the olympic committee was nice, if simple, but when you have to translate it into like 3 different languages, simple is good.

I'm looking forward to the events. Swimming's always a favorite in our house. Gymnastic's usually good. If I can catch the fencing that would be great. And my fiance's family is looking forward to the Judo competition (his dad's a coach).

I really hope things go relatively smoothly. I really, truly love the olympics and all of the good it represents. I'd hate for anything bad to happen that would mar that reputation.
    The funny thing about the Lauer comment is that she is only 4 years older than him.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post

That was Kip Keino. He's one of the first Olympic athletes I remember watching as a kid. It was the 1972 Munich games. He made his living at the time as a police officer, so my dad called him 'Kip Keino the Kenyan Cop'. He had a wonderful personality, so he was one of the track stars. The other two stars I remember are Russian gymnast Olga Korbut, and American swimmer Mark Spitz.
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

This has become my philosophy!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodean_ View Post
    I really wish they'd introduce proper rugby instead of just sevens.
    You'd struggle to fit a decent tournament into two weeks because you need downtime between games.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

There certainly have been a lot of disasters, huh? That cycling course was way too dangerous for a start, and the problems with the water and the rowing leave me worried about how the sailing will go. That's one of my favourites to watch, so I hope it's not too badly affected.

the rules are different with other swords, but I'll only explain épée's rules, for clarity
    So, I don't know if Rodin was watching the men's foil yesterday (painful one for GB ), but there's a lot more of the 'lights with no point scored' going on in that. What puzzles me is how the judges determine right-of-way. I think I understand the principle, but how can you tell who's attacking when you watch it? So often, both fencers launch an attack at the same time. It's clear that the fencers themselves usually don't know who has the right...
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

21. - Top - End - #21

For the people who don't understand fencing, I'll briefly explain a simplified explanation of it:
    *) Remember, it's judged by a human and so is dependent on the judge's understanding and what they see.
    *) With foil, hitting off target never gets you a point. Imagine a vest: hitting there is on-target; hitting elsewhere is off-target. Hitting off target pauses and resets the match at a set distance from your opponent.
    *) Unlike epee, only one person is awarded a point at a time in foil.
    *) Running the other person off the back still gives you a point.
    *) If only one person hits, that hit is counted - whether it's off target or on target. If both people hit at the same time, the touch that is counted is the one with right-of-way. If the judge is unsure about who has right-of-way, then the judge can say "Nope, it was unclear. No points awarded."

So, right-of-way, simplified:
    1) The person who clearly begins their attack first has right-of-way. In foil, an attack is pretty much defined by "extending your arm followed by doing things"
    2) If the attacker hesitates or fails to threaten their opponent, they lose right-of-way.
    3) If the attacker is blocked (parried), the defender gains right-of-way and the attacker loses right-of-way.

It's slightly more complicated than that (insufficient parries, compound attacks, preparations, beat attacks...), but this gives the idea.

In essence, this is what the judge is looking for:
    First, watch who fully extends their arm first
    Second, if the attacker hesitates
    Third, if the defender parries
    Fourth, if the light goes off, and what color it was (generally, yellow = off-target; red or green = on target)
    in that order.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

2) If the attacker hesitates or fails to threaten their opponent, they lose right-of-way.
    I'm sure I saw the British guy lose a point because of this yesterday. It seems harsh - if you attack first and hit first, why should it matter that you stuttered slightly in between?

First, watch who fully extends their arm first
    This is probably the main thing I'm missing as a non-fencer watching the Olympics. Probably if you spend a lot of time watching, you'd see this sort of thing without thinking. You know, they should put fencing on TV more often. I'd watch!

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    You'd struggle to fit a decent tournament into two weeks because you need downtime between games.
    Loads of tournaments have had matches before the opening ceremony (e.g. the women's football). The 16-day window of the games proper only have to have, maybe, the quarter, semi and finals.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Loads of tournaments have had matches before the opening ceremony (e.g. the women's football). The 16-day window of the games proper only have to have, maybe, the quarter, semi and finals.
    Yeah. The cricket community has been talking for years about getting a T20 tournament into the Olympics. If there's room for cricket, surely there's room for rugby union?

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

That's okay. It's even hotter than Pokemon Go :D

26. - Top - End - #26

England is not an Olympic nation. Britain is, but the four different British football associations (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales) are too busy maintaining their own national pride to put a British team together. Only at London 2012 could they be forced to make an exception - and only because it was a home Olympics.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by nyjastul69 View Post
    The funny thing about the Lauer comment is that she is only 4 years older than him.
    Fun fact: women on average live 5 years longer than men. "Young" Matt is likely to die before "old" Meredith.

28. - Top - End - #28

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruslan View Post
    Fun fact: women on average live 5 years longer than men. "Young" Matt is likely to die before "old" Meredith.
    Longer than 5 years when the men make comments like that.
    Now with half the calories!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

True, I suppose that could work

It would be good to have rugby league in there as well.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    True, I suppose that could work

It would be good to have rugby league in there as well.
    It may be in the future. If I am not mistaken that every four years the Olympics added a sport.