New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Steel, Shadow, and Fire

With a groan, the beaten man hauls himself to his feet and shakes himself off. "thanks for the help, my friend, your timing was excellent,". It's only at this point that it becomes clear how visibly inhuman he is. Skin the color of ripe cherries, hair as black as a moonless night, a face covered in tattoos, and also horns, a tail and hooves. there is clearly an element of the diabolical in his ancestry. Finishing cleaning himself up he retrieves a battered hat from the ground and put it on, whereupon his features morph into a rather more nondescript human visage. "Azar Anskhuld, Journeyman Evoker, at your service." he looks at Pent apprasingly and says "I hope you don't mind my saying this, but you look to have a touch of the otherworldly about you as well, though from the looks of you likely a more... wholesome source than me."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pent can't help his eyes widen as he gets a better look at the devilish looks. He suppresses his feelings of surprise as he listens to the man speak. Obviously educated, more than he is for certain.

"Yeah, Azar. I'm told I'm an Aasimar. Which, I can only guess is why I look about the same age as my niece despite being 40 years older. Oh, and the steel skin." he raps his forearm to produce the sound to drive the point home.

"But, we can't help where we come from." He looks down at the bodies, frowning, thinking that these men would be alive if they had learned that lesson sooner...or if Pent had more control of himself.

"Do you have a place you're staying in town? The place we're staying at will treat you kindly."

"Unless they pull your name out of a hat..." Hilde mutters so quietly only she can hear.
    Character Sheets: Zephyr Leornian

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"Not currently, I was staying at the Brazen Strumpet, but my hat got knocked off and... well, it was made plan I was no longer welcome there." Azar pauses briefly, a resigned look on his face, before continuing "... Although I'm not sure what they objected to more, my being a Tiefling or my being..." he pauses, and looks at Pent and Hilde warily, before asking "Do... Do either of you have a problem with former Red Wizards? Emphasis on former?"

4. - Top - End - #34

Pent and Hilde shift uncomfortably. They've heard of the evil ruling class.

"Well..." Pent says, almost uncertainly. "I suppose that depends on the reason you are no longer one of their numbers."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Azar Sighs. "I should start at the beginning. My mother was the tharchion - the local civil governor - of the that an tharch - province, basically, of Alaor. She was a powerful Evoker, but as with all the Red Wizards was constantly scheming to increase her power. So one day she decided to summon a half devil wizard named Bergelmir - supposedly a bastard son of Mephistopheles - to bargain with him for rare spells." Azar smiles humorlessly. "Something about my mother must have struck him, because the price he asked was a night of her company. It turned out they had a lot in common - a love of magic, fine wine, small fluffy dogs, and vivisecting people to see how their insides worked". His face takes on a grim cast, and he looks Pent in the eye "Look, I'm not going to blow smoke in your eyes. The Red Wizards - my mother included - are bad people. I am an exception, but only because of the unusual circumstances of my upbringing." he sighs and continues [COLOR="#FF8C00"]"Anyway, about a year later, I came along. My mother kept in regular contact with my father, so he was a ... Presence... In my life. But arguably the most pivotal moment of my life came when, as a young child, I discover a book of Illmatyri scripture. It fascinated me, and that fascination, in turn fascinated my mother. She had no illusions regarding her morality- she knew she was evil. That a child of a Red Wizard and the son of an archdevil would turn out with even a shred of decency astonished both of them, and my mother set out to nurture that nascent spark of virtue. Not because she loved me mind you - I'm pretty I was only ever viewed first as a tool, and then, after I found the book an experiment. My mother encouraged my faith in Illmatyr simply so she could study the effect it had on me. She tutored me I'm magic privately, since she was afraid exposure to actual Thayan society might ruin the experiment. She was there to formally in duct me into the ranks of the Red Wizards./COLOR] Azar's expression becomes pained, and he pauses for a moment. Then he continues. "Unfortunately Red Wizards are always jockeying for power, and eventually my mother was outmenouvered by a rival and removed from her position, robbing her of most of her political clout. She tried to summon my father for aid, but her rival, a master of Conjuration, had already bound him, and paid him handsomely to betray my mother. She was trying to perform a ritual that would do... something, I'm not even sure what. But he sabotaged it. It went wrong but not, apparently the he intended. He and my mother were both consume in a tremendous blast of power that shattered the ruined keep we were hiding in. I survived completely unharmed, though I only have the vaguest inkling why. I gathered those of my things that had survived and ran. And I've been running ever since."

6. - Top - End - #36

"It sounds like you have some conflicting feelings for your mother. For what its worth, I'm sorry for your loss."

"He ran from the Red Wizards..." Hilde says, thinking.

"As a formal member..." Pent adds.

"They may come looking for him." Hilde looks up to Pent.

Pent smiles like a predator. "Yeah, they will. It'd be a shame if we had to take some down."

"He's as good as dead if he stays solitary."

"Agreed. Azar, this world sucks, and we all need as much help as we can get and give to survive without turning into monsters. I'd feel terrible letting you try to make it another day in this city by yourself. You seem a decent fellow, and this city is certainly no place for those. I'd like for you to join us at the Sleeping Serpent tonight, meet our other teammate, Rose, and decide if you'd like to adventure with us going forward."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"that would be fantastic!" Azar says, a look of relief washing over his face. "Let's go!"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The three leave the unconscious and dead men in the street. The guards in the Fleshworks, who undoubtedly heard the scuffle, couldn't seem to care less. Pent even hears one of them mutter, "Not my skin." as they pass him. And here Pent thought that this city couldn't disgust him any more than it already had.

They make their way out of the Fleshworks and back into the Bazaar. The night is still relatively young and they find the Sleeping Serpent's common room alive with activity. Red is busy sending dish after dish of roast pork, chicken, and stewed apples out of the kitchen and Lily is busy keeping tankards of ale and goblets of wine full. There is a raucous card game going on in the corner between a bunch of inebriated dwarves, a troupe of human performers play a jig on the violin, mandolin, and tambour on the far stage, and the rest of the men are drinking and singing.
    Lily looks quizzically at the groups new friend, and smiles at Pent and Hilde before setting three tankards of ale down on a table in front of them. Moments later, they are left with a steaming loaf of rosemary bread, a whole roast chicken, and a bowl of stewed apples. Pent also received a sharp pinch from the barmaid before she heads back to the kitchens. Rose is nowhere to be found.

9. - Top - End - #39

"Welcome to the Serpent." Pent says to Azar. Red and Lily have been good to us while we've been in town."

Pent looks around, and feels a pang of concern that Rose isn't here.

Pent tries to relax sipping some ale. he reminds himself that she is a professional, and probably doing her job longer than he'd been doing....whatever it is he does now.

Pent looks around to room to admire the rowdiness, and looks to Azar, and reminds himself that his current human shape is not his true form. He drops his voice into a low whisper.

"How long can you hold that spell? Should we find a more private room soon?"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Zara grins and replies, "it's not a spell. My hat's enchanted, so it'll hold as long as I wear it."

11. - Top - End - #41

"That's excellent!" Pent says with a smile.

Red walks by, carrying plates and bowls of food for another table. Pent's anxiety gets the better of him.

Pent stops him"Real quick Red, is Rose back from her appointment yet?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Red shakes his head, smirking at the metal man. "Don't you worry, lad. Rose is a big girl. She knows what she's doin'. How about I get you something a little stronger to take your mind off it. Apple brandy? It's my own vintage." The man smiles at the table, trying to best please his guests.
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2016-08-31 at 06:51 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Pent nods with a frown, and sips down the apple brandy once it arrives. Its good.

He tries to relax as he waits for Rose.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The evening continues uneventfully for several more hours. The dwarven game of cards eventually breaks up with two men standing and almost coming to blows. Red deftly steps in-between them and Mibu growls a low rumble beside him. The dwarves look like it might be easier to setting things elsewhere and leave.

Eventually, Rose saunters through the doors and takes a seat next to Pent, Hilde, and Azar. "Evening, lads, Hilde. Who's our guest?"

Lily brings Rose a goblet of dark red wine and she begins drinking, not taking her eyes off of Azar.

15. - Top - End - #45

"This is Azar. Poor guy got jumped by a gang of scumbags. I stepped in to help even the odds. Given his background, I thought it best if he stay at the safest inn I know."

He pauses to take a sip of the brandy.

"No problems with your appointment?" Pent asks.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"Indeed, Azar Anskhuld, Journeyman Evoker, at your service, Madam." Azar says as he tips his hat in Rose's direction.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rose extends her hand in greeting. "Evoker?! Always a pleasure to meet someone well versed in the art of destruction. I'm Rose Ravensworth, Sembian by birth. And you're. . ." she takes a moment to take in Azar's robes and racial appearance, "Thayan? I must say I wouldn't have expected Hilde and Pent to befriend someone of such . . . particular moral inclination. But, if they helped you, you must've been in a spot of trouble. Glad they got to you in time."

Red passes by and Rose gives him a knowing glance. He nods, ever so slightly, and continues with his work. Turning to Pent, Rose puts her happy smile back on. "No, Big Guy. No problems with the appointment. I thought that I might have to negotiate a little lower than I wanted, but in the end I got the better deal and was able to get ahead."

She sips her wine, pleased with herself.
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2016-08-31 at 02:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Hilde makes a sour face.

Meanwhile Pent isn't sure he knows what Rose means. But he's not going to advertise that.

"I'm glad it went well." Pent relaxes visibly. "So, it seems like forever since we arrived in town, but I think we got everything done here we wanted to. Looted a crypt, did uh- that thing with uh - that guy... What do we want to do tomorrow?"

It isn't until now that Pent realizes that instead of worrying about Rose he could have been listening through the din of the patrons in the bar for interesting news.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"well, Illmatyr teaches that one should relieve suffering wherever it is found." Azar says, his face turning grim. "So I for one suggest we find some innocent that's suffering and... Relieve it." pulling a hip flask out of his belt, he takes a quick swig before continuing " preferably the kind of suffering that can be solved by beating some sense into someone. I'm very good at relieving that." Azar then pointedly glances a Rose and says "And to clarify, Ms. Rose, simply because I am Thayan does not make me a psychotic, power-hungry megalomaniac, anymore than being Sembian makes you a heartless, backstabbing cutthroat of a merchant. There are exceptions to every rule, just as there is truth to every stereotype. No offense." Azar thought it was best to clear that up now; this lady looked more like a merchant than an adventurer, and he didn't want her lying awake at night wondering if he was going to summon a demon to eat her soul, like the innkeeper's wife did at the last town he stayed at.

20. - Top - End - #50

Pent flashes a smile at Azar. "I like your style."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rose smiles at Azar's characterizations. "I'll take every word as a complement, Azar. Thank you. I sell herbs and medicines, and I like to think that I do my Sembian heritage proud."

"We've got options, Big Guy. We can hop a ship West, or we can take a look at the post. There's a large jobs post in the center of the Bazaar. It has all the contracts that people have out around here. My next . . . customer, is in the Witch Kingdom, but I don't have a timeline to get there."

22. - Top - End - #52

"Excellent. I suggest we check out the job board after breakfast. If there's nothing promising, we can head towards the Witch Kingdom.

Thoughts?
    "

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rose smiles and raises her glass. "And of course, Azar, you are more than welcome to join us. I think you'll find more safety in numbers. Almorel is a hard city to walk alone and I've found that these two really know what they're doing."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"I would be happy to accompany you." Azar says with a smile.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

So, unless anyone has anything else pressing, I suggest we head out first thing tomorrow morning." Azar says.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rose agrees, and raises a glass to the group. The rest of the night progresses in much the same spirit with many glasses of apple brandy, many stories of adventure and intrigue, and many a raucous laugh shared between new friends.

Pent is eventually dragged upstairs by a mischievous looking Lily.

Hilde takes one last shot of brandy with Rose and Azar before excusing herself upstairs. As she leaves, she mumbles something about looking for a healing spell for hangovers.

Finally, Rose catches the eye of the mandolin player of tonight’s band. After a bit of flirting, she leads him upstairs.

Azar is left alone, contemplating his interesting night and how much more terribly it could have ended. The last patron awake in the Serpent, Red leads Azar upstairs to his own room. As the door closes, Azar sighs and smiles. He feels, for the first time in a long time, like he'll be ok with these people. They seem . . . different, but they at least seem genuine and willing to overlook his heritage and give him a chance.

Morning comes in a haze to most of our adventurers, with everyone feeling at least a little hungover. Pent had a bedmate for the evening, although he remembers very little of the encounter. Rose apparently kicked her companion out before the sun rose and has been tight lipped as to the details of her dalliance. Azar and Hilde meet the pair at the breakfast table in the common area of the Serpent. The only other patrons down in the room this morning are a couple of dwarves who look much more hungover than our adventurers. Red brings the dwarves a couple of glasses of some foul looking mixture and they groggily thank him. For the group, Red sets out a platter of sizzling and aromatic scotch eggs, floury rolls, and fresh apples.

After breakfast, the group heads out into the Bazaar proper and towards the large, wooden cylinder at its center. Attached to the post are dozens of pieces of parchment, papyrus, and linen. The vast majority of the ads are in the common trade tongue. The main advertisements that stand out to the group are:

Come one, Come all!
    House Thuranni’s Shadow Circus is seeking porters, security, performers, and grooms for its first ever expedition to the Far East! 10-2000 gold a month plus room and board! Inquire with Deringer at the Phoenix Down Inn.

Wanted: Dead or Alive
    15,000gp
    Merrithorpe Thistlewaif - Female Gnome Highwayman, Armed and Dangerous
    Robbery
    Horse Theft
    Impersonating a Member of the Red Wizards
    Slave Theft
    Bounty redeemed with Master Ghast of the Red Wizard Conclave of Almorel

Monster Attack in Hinterbrand Village
    Several herds of cattle found completely consumed, leaving only bleaches bones behind. Please help our little town. Inquire with Mary at the Light’s Meadow Apiary. 5,000gp reward.

Almorel Sewers Monster Cleanup
    The city of Almorel is recruiting adventurers to help clear out a particularly stubborn basilisk that has petrified several sanitation workers. Inquire with Shin at the Almorel sanitation office. 7,500gp reward.

Guards Needed for Caravan Southward
    Trade caravan trading spices from the East, heading south toward Mulhorand. Guards needed. 10,000gp, paid upon arrival. Ask for Johns at the Slider Gaming Hall.

27. - Top - End - #57

Pent reads over the ads. He lingers on the Wanted: Dead or Alive

"Hey guys, I found someone who needs our help. But I doubt we'll get paid the full bounty. What do you say we help Ms. Merrithorpe Thistlewaif escape all pursuers?"

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rose looks at the wanted poster. "She looks like she's gotten herself into some serious trouble. And with the Red Wizards at that! And you want to help her? It looks like she's worth more if we turn her in."

Hilde shakes her head. "Typical. You'd probably kill her for half the amount. I'm with you, uncle. It looks like she's freeing slaves and fighting a dictatorial cabal . . . no offense Azar. I think she looks like she could use a little help.”

“But then what?” Rose interjects. “They won't stop hunting her. We aren't going to defeat the whole Red Wizard organization. So the only thing we might do is raise the bounty on her head . . . which would only be fruitful if we then double crossed her and turned her in for a higher reward.”

"No, she needs help!" Hilde retorts. "We may increase her bounty, but maybe we'll give her a little support and maybe do some good along the way."

"But then where's the reward? If you're hell bent on helping someone, at least get paid for it! How about this village with the cattle deaths? That noble enough for you?"

29. - Top - End - #59

"The bounty lists dead as an option, How hard would it be to fake her death? We get paid, the Red Wizards are satisfied, and the gnome just has to stay out of trouble. Everyone wins!"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rose looks at Pent with a disbelieving expression. "Stay out of trouble. You think that she'll just stop all the 'good works' and stay out of trouble?"

Ignoring her, Hilde jumps on the idea. "We could fake her death, as long as we have the right proof and she stays under the radar.”

Rose thinks, "If she stays underground only long enough for us to make a getaway, then she eventually gets the bounty back on her head, but we make out with 15,000 gold marks. Assuming we can convince her to let us profit from her laying low for some reason."