New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #32: More Seasons than the Simpsons

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    It does not matter if it is considered new. The RC only overwrites "preexisiting" books. A book from 2012 did not exist in 2007.
    You asked for a RAW answer, I gave it to you. If you didn't want to hear it, you shouldn't have asked. *shrug*

2. - Top - End - #782
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    The Rules Compendium states in its introduction that it supersedes all sources that predate it. The PHB predates the RC and is therefore superseded by it. There is no printing of the 3.5e Player's Handbook that does not predate the Rules Compendium; you can confirm this for yourself by comparing the years in their respective copyright sections.
    There is a printing of the PHB from 2012. The RC is from 2007.
    The 2012 printing still has the earlier year in its copyright date; it is not considered a new publication.
    It does not matter if it is considered new. The RC only overwrites "preexisiting" books. A book from 2012 did not exist in 2007.
    A 426: Let's take this to another thread.

I think it's clear that this question can't be resolved here – but it does interest me!

3. - Top - End - #783

Q 427

If a magic trap has a detect spell (like detect evil) as the trigger, does it go off as soon as a good-aligned creature enters it's range, or does it need to "concentrate" for a round first?

4. - Top - End - #784
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A 422 This cannot really be answered except by "yes and no".
    Yes if a creature gains a template then its CR should be recalculated - this is a significant problem with the classes and prestige classes that grant templates (e.g. lich) as a capstone. The rules look as if this is not the intention, but it is RAW.
    Now a humanoid cannot have "12 hit dice in human" because humans only get class hit dice - and humanoids cannot get hit dice in human.
    If you mean 12 hit dice in humanoid, how did you find a 12HD creature with CR3? I am not aware of any CRs that low for hit dice that high.
    Now if the temnplate is CR +0 then the type change will not change the CR as the hit dice effects (BAB, skill points etc.) are not retrospecitively changed (unless the template says they are). The creature becomes "monstrous humanoid (augmented humanoid)" which is not quite the same thing as "monstrous humanoid".

I suggest reading Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook - it will give you a good grounding in the basics here..
    The 12 hit dice in humanoid was meant purely as an example, for an example of something that increases in CR per 4 hit dice changing to something that increases in CR per 3 hit dice. I would've equally done something like a Monstrous Humanoid gaining the Half-Dragon template, as an example of something increasing in CR per 3 hit dice to something that increases in CR per 2 hit dice.
    Check out my threads:
    Video Game Characters as D&D Characters v2.0
    Anime Characters as D&D Characters v2.0

I never use Psionics in my games.

Avatar by the amazing AsteriskAmp!

Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

Alter Form into Elvis Presley. You are now the KING!

5. - Top - End - #785

Q 428

The Half-Dragon template from the SRD increases hit dice by one size. However, it also changes the type to dragon. If the increased hit dice is lower than a d12, and then the creature obtains another racial hit die, does the creature gain a d12 as per the Dragon type, or the changed hit dice size?
    Check out my threads:

Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xaroth View Post
    Q 428

The Half-Dragon template from the SRD increases hit dice by one size. However, it also changes the type to dragon. If the increased hit dice is lower than a d12, and then the creature obtains another racial hit die, does the creature gain a d12 as per the Dragon type, or the changed hit dice size?
    ... Half-Dragon boosts hit dice size? Like, making Fighters d12 HD size? What does it do to Barbarians/other d12 HD things? Does that increase specify racial HD, because if not, then it boosts class HD, which causes problems.

7. - Top - End - #787

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    ... Half-Dragon boosts hit dice size? Like, making Fighters d12 HD size? What does it do to Barbarians/other d12 HD things? Does that increase specify racial HD, because if not, then it boosts class HD, which causes problems.
    Sorry, racial hit die. Here.

Q 429

I'm beginning to think that Multi-attack doesn't work the way I think it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Multiattack Feat
    Prerequisite
    Three or more natural attacks.

Benefit
    The creature’s secondary attacks with natural weapons take only a -2 penalty.

Normal
    Without this feat, the creature’s secondary attacks with natural weapons take a -5 penalty.
    Does this mean a character with claws and a bite and a tail can attack with both of their claws again at a -2 penalty? Or does this mean he can attack with whatever natural attack they would normally be penalized for at a -2 penalty?
    Check out my threads:

Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

Q 429

I'm beginning to think that Multi-attack doesn't work the way I think it works.

Does this mean a character with claws and a bite and a tail can attack with both of their claws again at a -2 penalty? Or does this mean he can attack with whatever natural attack they would normally be penalized for at a -2 penalty?
    Normally, there is a -5 penalty on any attack you make with a secondary natural weapon. Multiattack reduces this penalty to -2, effectively a +3 bonus to attacks with secondary weapons. Does this answer your question?

9. - Top - End - #789

Normally, there is a -5 penalty on any attack you make with a secondary natural weapon. Multiattack reduces this penalty to -2, effectively a +3 bonus to attacks with secondary weapons. Does this answer your question?
    That does indeed, thank you.
    Check out my threads:

Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 428 No - the original hit dice size is used.
    As I said, the type doesn't actually change to "Dragon" - it changes to "Dragon (augmented [original type])" which is not the same thing. To put it slightly differently, it may be a dragon, but it doesn't have (and doesn't qualify for) dragon hit dice, it still has animal hit dice (or whatever its orginal type was).

Seriously - go read Urpriest's Mostrous handbook as I linked last time.

11. - Top - End - #791

Q 430 How much damage does the Scorpion Kama (Magic Item Compendium, page 201) do?

It says, "This +1 kama deals damage equal to your unarmed strike damage (if that is greater than the normal damage for a kama)."

What is it counting as my Unarmed Strike damage? Is it the monk base damage (let's say 2d10 at level 20) that would replace a kama's 1d6?

If I have Greater Mighty Wallop to make my Unarmed Strike treated as Colossal but I only have a Medium kama, does the kama deal 2d10 or 12d8?

Do any enhancement bonuses to damage on my fists (such as Magic Weapon, Greater at +5) also apply to the kama since that's part of my Unarmed Strike damage?

If my Unarmed Strike deals 12d8+20, would the Kama deal (12d8+20)+STR+ENH+Weapon Focus, etc. or just 12d8+20, or 12d8+STR+ENH+Weapon Focus, etc?

Thanks in advance.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 431

What action is it to open and/or close a portable hole?

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ettin in the Playground

A 431

Standard action, by default:
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG p. 213
    Activating a magic item is a standard action unless the item description indicates otherwise.

14. - Top - End - #794

Q 432

I’d like some clearing up about the notion of “flat-footed”. It often tends to be used as synonymous to “denied your dexterity bonus to AC”, but I believe the two conditions are distinct.

What I mean is the following: if a character has both Uncanny Dodge and the Combat Reflexes feat, the two main disadvantages of being flat-footed (loosing your Dexterity/Dodge bonus to AC and being unable to make attacks of opportunity) are negated. However he would still count as “caught flat-footed” for other effects dependent on it.

For example, the “Hit-and-Run Tactics” alternate class feature (from Drow of the Underdark) gives a competence bonus equal to the Dexterity modifier against a flat-footed opponent. A character with Uncanny Dodge is still vulnerable to that, isn’t he?

Likewise, some martial maneuvers (Baffling Defense or Supreme Blade Parry, to name a few) only work if you are not flat-footed against the attack. Once again, Uncanny Dodge and Combat Reflexes wouldn’t change a thing to it, am I right?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #795

A 432

The two conditions are indeed distinct, not that many designers paid attention to that. By RAW, Hit-and-Run affects normally flat-footed targets with Uncanny Dodge and/or Combat Reflexes. You cannot use the Baffling Defense maneuver if you are flat-footed (as you cannot use any immediate action if you are flat-footed). Similarly, the damage reduction provided by Supreme Blade Parry stance doesn't apply if you are flat-footed. In all of these cases, Uncanny Dodge and Combat Reflexes are irrelevant.

Now, if you can't be caught flat-footed at all (such as with the Foresight spell, or the Mark of Stars feat), then Hit-and-Run deals no extra damage to you. And even before acting in the initiative order, you can use Baffling Defense (and generally immediate actions), and benefit from Supreme Blade Parry's DR, and make Attacks of Opportunity (whether you have Combat Reflexes or not).
    Last edited by HeadlessMermaid; 2017-01-15 at 10:46 AM.
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 433

Diminutive Dagger do 1 damage; Alchemical Silver cause -1 penalty on the damage roll; does it mean Diminutive Alchemical Silver Dagger isn't a weapon (i. e. don't do any damage at all), or does it free from that penalty?

17. - Top - End - #797

A 433

Damage from an attack is always at least 1 point, even if a subtraction from a die roll reduces the result to 0 or lower. Silver diminutive daggers deal [1 (weapon damage) -1 (alchemical silver property) + Strength modifier] points of damage. So basically your damage equals your Str modifier, unless that is 0 or lower, in which case your damage is 1.
    Last edited by HeadlessMermaid; 2017-01-15 at 12:56 PM.
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 434: What happens with Power Attack when you're wielding a weapon with more than two hands?

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ettin in the Playground

A 434

The same thing that happens as when you wield the weapon with exactly two hands, because you are wielding the weapon with two hands (and one or more other hands). Are there even weapons that give you a benefit for doing that?

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ogre in the Playground

A 434

The same thing that happens as when you wield the weapon with exactly two hands, because you are wielding the weapon with two hands (and one or more other hands). Are there even weapons that give you a benefit for doing that?
    Yes. There's a set of Marilith scissors with three blades that require six arms to use. I think there's a few other weapons noted for diopsids or thri-keen that also mention being usable with more than two hands.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 435: If Half Dragon is applied to an Outsider, what is the resulting hit dice size? IIRC, Outsiders have d12 HD already, and half-dragon increases that dice size.

This question also applies to Half-Dragon Dragons, who have the same question of increasing hit dice size of a d12 hit dice creature type.

22. - Top - End - #802

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    Q 435: If Half Dragon is applied to an Outsider, what is the resulting hit dice size? IIRC, Outsiders have d12 HD already, and half-dragon increases that dice size.

This question also applies to Half-Dragon Dragons, who have the same question of increasing hit dice size of a d12 hit dice creature type.
    A 435
    Outsiders have a d8 HD, so it would increase to a d10. Any creature already with a d12 gains no increase, as spelled out in the half-dragon template:
    Hit Dice
    Increase base creature’s racial HD by one die size, to a maximum of d12. Do not increase class HD.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 436a

Is there a way to increase DFA's invocation DC besides increasing charisma? If yes, which?

I'm considering giving up Frightful presence: it was neat the first few levels, but now dc 17 even with 18CHA is kinda lame by level 11, and it will only get worse. It's nice that it's a swift action and all, but it has come to the point where it's only slowing the game down in the hope that someone gets a terrible save roll...
    Last edited by Keral; 2017-01-16 at 09:12 AM. Reason: simultaneous posting might screw up Q#

24. - Top - End - #804

Q 436

Does the Swiftblade's Innervated Speed allow it to attack during its "time stop"? If it doesn't I don't understand what the point of the ability is, but I don't see them explicitly stating one way or the other.
    Check out my threads:

Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keral View Post
    Q 436a

Is there a way to increase DFA's invocation DC besides increasing charisma?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Keral View Post
    If yes, which?
    Ability Focus is the easiest way. Some Heritage feats offer bonuses to invocation save DCs as well. And there are various other options, although a complete listing of them would be outside the scope of this thread.

Q 436

Does the Swiftblade's Innervated Speed allow it to attack during its "time stop"?
    No.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Troll in the Playground

Q 436

Does the Swiftblade's Innervated Speed allow it to attack during its "time stop"? If it doesn't I don't understand what the point of the ability is, but I don't see them explicitly stating one way or the other.
    At risk of leaving the realms of RAW, the "point" is presumably the same as a normal caster using the actual Time Stop spell. You can move to somewhere more advantageous, buff/heal yourself, take advantage of the Delay Spell Metamagic feat... Let's just say you have options.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 437: Are creatures with "Advancement: By character class" playable as PCs, or must they have a listed LA?

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GilesTheCleric View Post
    Q 437: Are creatures with "Advancement: By character class" playable as PCs, or must they have a listed LA?
    They must have a listed LA. The advancement line is irrelevant for players, because PCs always advance by character class regardless of their kind.

29. - Top - End - #809

Q 438:
    Are races automatically proficient with weapons that are specifically described as being "of" that race? For example, gnomes and their quickrazors, goliaths and their greathammers, and so on?
    Resident Mad Scientist...

"It's so cool!"

Spoiler: Contests
    Show
    VC I: Lord Commander Conrad Vayne, 1st place
    VC II: Lorna, the Mother's Wrath, 5th place
    VC XV: Tosk, Kursak the Marauder, Vierna Zalyl; 1st place, 6th/7th place
    Kitchen Crashers Protocol for Peace

But that's one of the things about interpreting RAW—when you pick a reading that goes against RAI, it often has a ripple effect that results in dysfunctions in other places.

30. - Top - End - #810

A 438

No. When a race (e.g. Elf) or type (e.g. Outsider) gives a weapon proficiency, it is stated explicitly in the entry.