New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XVI: Corrupted to the Kore

Oh, I get it. The flea demons must want the imprints. Also, now that I think about it, the flea demons probably aren't that tough even by Thunt-verse standards, considering that the party killed one in less than a single combat round. I bet that higher-level world guys, like the OotS, could probably take all of them without too much hassle.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    So since THunt has no perception of moderation, there's no other possible outcome to this situation apart from Fumbles dies in a gory explosion of divine energy or Fumbles absorbs at least six imprints and becomes akin to a demigod. Odds on which it'll be? I'm guessing that the party is about to be swarmed by demons and so Fumbles will be left to his own devices, naively embraces like ten imprints, and becomes a Cleric so powerful that he saves them by obliterating the demons.
    I still think Minmax will break tradition somehow helping him and share in his imprints.

Why did we jump to Forgath's new adventure for two pages after the GAP exploded; were those two pages of finding weird floating rocks so important that they needed to be conveyed at that moment and couldn't wait until the next time there was a natural transition to their group?
    To build anticipation?!

Obviously the most egregious offender is when the Goblins were fleeing Kore and ran into what was revealed to be Minmax in a climactic encounter, and we go back in time to the whole Maze of Many arc.
    True, that was a big one.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I bet that higher-level world guys, like the OotS, could probably take all of them without too much hassle.
    thanks. now i want to see the order of the stick in the Goblinverse just to know how ****ed the goblinverse will be as a result.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    thanks. now i want to see the order of the stick in the Goblinverse just to know how ****ed the goblinverse will be as a result.
    If you mean how much more stronger the Order are compared to the average Thunt-verse being, then yes. After all, the Order's around 15th level or so.

Kore is probably around the average power level of the OotS, as he's canonically cast Holy Sword - a 4th level Paladin spell, which means he's minimum Paladin 14. And he's able to cast Cleric spells for some reason. However, even if he's essentially a Paladin/Cleric gestalt, there is absolutely no way he can beat the entire Order, whether or not you count Durkon(long story). For one, V's a 15th level Wizard.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nice move, I loled.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #426
    Colossus in the Playground

Plus this world is pretty low magic as well, and we havent seen any signs that kore has any armor or weaponry with magical effects, so thats going to effect how powerful kore is in comparison. Im pretty sure captain baldy could great cleave him in half considering the damage forgath did.

Ok, prediction time! I think fumbles is going to see the flea demons attacking the souls of the tellers and will use himself as a way to protect them. Basically, he will absorb a stupid number of souls and live because of the reason he is doing it. Possibly he will absorb a flea demon as well, just so names isnt the only one with demonic issues. Yadda yadda, the multiple goblin souls keeps the demon soul suppressed except for during yadda yadda.

Oh, and hoo boy is this an ugly scenario. The flea demons may not be that powerful, but right now big ears and thaco are both in the negatives and fumbles doesnt even have a class yet. So its basically names and minmax. Two warriors against however many demons just showed up.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #427
    Banned

Let's be real. The OOTS would take 3 steps into their first dungeon, walk into some no-save monster or trap, and die a gruesome death.

8. - Top - End - #428

Pfft, there havent been any of those yet. And whats lethally dangerous to a group of level 2-3 adventurers is SLIGHTLY less problematic to a party of people in their mid teens. Hell, they could probably handle the big bad of the axe of prissan if it came right down to it.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #429
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Pfft, there havent been any of those yet. And whats lethally dangerous to a group of level 2-3 adventurers is SLIGHTLY less problematic to a party of people in their mid teens. Hell, they could probably handle the big bad of the axe of prissan if it came right down to it.
    Sure, in a fair fight. More likely they'd touch Fingers before they knew what was happening and melt away. We're assuming this is still Thunt's universe right?

I'm just saying that being on a dungeon crawl in Thunt's universe with no plot armor is probably a bad time.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-05-02 at 01:08 PM.

10. - Top - End - #430

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Sure, in a fair fight. More likely they'd touch Fingers before they knew what was happening and melt away. We're assuming this is still Thunt's universe right?

I'm just saying that being on a dungeon crawl in Thunt's universe with no plot armor is probably a bad time.
    I suppose, but considering it takes a few rounds to get lethal, im fairly sure someone could dispel/cure it. Always assuming haley didnt drop her +5 icy burst arrows into its face and insta gib it. Or they dont just resist the effect due to much higher saves. Its been a very long time but I think it had a fortitude save versus the effect, it was just absurdly high for the level of the group. Found it, its a fortitude save of 19 by the main hands, 16 by the smaller ones. Im honestly unsure how absurd that truly is. Is that something the oots could make relatively easily?

11. - Top - End - #431
    Banned

I suppose, but considering it takes a few rounds to get lethal, im fairly sure someone could dispel/cure it. Always assuming haley didnt drop her +5 icy burst arrows into its face and insta gib it. Or they dont just resist the effect due to much higher saves. Its been a very long time but I think it had a fortitude save versus the effect, it was just absurdly high for the level of the group. Found it, its a fortitude save of 19 by the main hands, 16 by the smaller ones. Im honestly unsure how absurd that truly is. Is that something the oots could make relatively easily?
    I'm just kidding around about how horrible Thunt's universe would be to adventure in. I know if we crunch numbers that the Oots would be fine.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I'm just kidding around about how horrible Thunt's universe would be to adventure in. I know if we crunch numbers that the Oots would be fine.
    At level +-15, sure. The actual party that went in there was closer to level 3.

The Goblins world seems to be rather short on low level area's. Or well, they have them, they're just not very suitable for goblins to go adventuring in, because they're goblin villages. And even the humans seem to figure that becoming an adventurer means either a really quick and painful death or a great career full of ritches if you somehow make it to being "high level", (which in context might mean around level 5, the great Goblinslayer was probably 7 or so). Now to be fair, that's kind of true for D20 in general. But we've never really seen the Oots at very low levels, so it's hard to compare. Plus Fingers was particularly nasty, even for this setting. The maze of many didn't really include anything as bad as that, and it was designed to give the players a shot of one in hundreds to succeed.

But yes, this latest one is a genuine GM **** move. Hit them while one character, horribly behind on the power curve, is trying to pass a concentration check that will determine an important aspect of his power until his death. That stuff either is or is not your style.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2017-05-02 at 02:59 PM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

13. - Top - End - #433

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    At level +-15, sure. The actual party that went in there was closer to level 3.

The Goblins world seems to be rather short on low level area's. Or well, they have them, they're just not very suitable for goblins to go adventuring in, because they're goblin villages. And even the humans seem to figure that becoming an adventurer means either a really quick and painful death or a great career full of ritches if you somehow make it to being "high level", (which in context might mean around level 5, the great Goblinslayer was probably 7 or so). Now to be fair, that's kind of true for D20 in general. But we've never really seen the Oots at very low levels, so it's hard to compare. Plus Fingers was particularly nasty, even for this setting. The maze of many didn't really include anything as bad as that, and it was designed to give the players a shot of one in hundreds to succeed.

But yes, this latest one is a genuine GM **** move. Hit them while one character, horribly behind on the power curve, is trying to pass a concentration check that will determine an important aspect of his power until his death. That stuff either is or is not your style.
    It also doesnt help when the groups are pretty unbalanced. Take mister fingers, you had basically had all melee group with no spellcasting, no ranged, no healing. Of COURSE that group is going to get smashed! Meanwhile the gap did pretty well in its "dungeon" battle. They infiltrated brassmoon, rescued their buddy, and made their escape. Same for their trip through that swamp with the plant monster. They only lost chief due to an absurdly high level enemy tracking them relentlessly. And the minmax/forgath duo is a warrior and healer combo, that covers most of the basics right there. Had kin turned out to be a wizard or sorc or something they would have been basically set for life.

*EDIT* And yes, total jerk move. And not only for the reason you mentioned, but half the party is incapacitated and one slap away from death. Had thaco and ears been up they might have been expected to be able to hold the flea demons off while fumbles does his thing, but right now its just minmax and names. As a game this sucks, but as a story I figure this will be the chance for minmax to truly earn his place in the gap, by doing something heroic and near suicidal to protect his buddy fumbles.
    Last edited by Traab; 2017-05-02 at 03:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Timing was so perfect, wasn't it?
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

So I have been playing some games in a system called Lamentations of the Flame Princess, its a retroclone 1st edition-esque system that focuses on horror elements with a great deal of dismemberment combat is always a bad idea and one session we played in had murdering the boss monster being a trigger for awakening an undead horde the likes of which the world has never seen. Really reminds me of a goblins game.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

*EDIT* And yes, total jerk move. And not only for the reason you mentioned, but half the party is incapacitated and one slap away from death. Had thaco and ears been up they might have been expected to be able to hold the flea demons off while fumbles does his thing, but right now its just minmax and names. As a game this sucks, but as a story I figure this will be the chance for minmax to truly earn his place in the gap, by doing something heroic and near suicidal to protect his buddy fumbles.
    I think it's more just names and minmax will have to fight side by side and gain a grudging respect for each other here.

17. - Top - End - #437

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    I think it's more just names and minmax will have to fight side by side and gain a grudging respect for each other here.
    Thats possible too, but I really am expecting minmax to basically go for a self sacrifice type of move when he sees fumbles about to get ganked. I just think it will need to be something more than "We have to fight together to live" to really make the impact I think it will take for names to accept him.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Then Kore joins them.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Then Kore joins them.
    Maybe Kore has a sense of fair play, heals them all to full, them executes them.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Maybe Kore has a sense of fair play, heals them all to full, them executes them.
    i mean, we've seen him tourture and kill children sure. but he DID heal Cheif that one time when he was in the negatives. Maybe the one rule of not killing people in negative hitpoints still applies?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    i mean, we've seen him tourture and kill children sure. but he DID heal Cheif that one time when he was in the negatives. Maybe the one rule of not killing people in negative hitpoints still applies?
    I mean sure he only did that to torture chief even more but..... Yeah, honestly, Im not sure how this will play out. Will he cooperate? Will he slaughter them out of hand for being evil demon worshiping fools who broke the axe? Will it be revealed that all this time he was being used? If he was the original wielder of the axe, his behavior makes sense. The demons were using the axe to break into the goblinverse, and it could only be done by committing evil acts. So they get this paladin to run around slaughtering "evil" everywhere he looks, and in the process he weakens the axe till it breaks, setting them free. Then he lost the axe at some point but kept the geas for his slaughter. Thats why his "paladin" magic has such a screwed up ime. Its not holy, its demonic. Its just disguised to approximate the look of paladin magic. Meanwhile kore "detects evil" everywhere he goes because his power source is evil.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

similarly, he may be trying to clense the world of all evil, even POTENTUL Evil, just so that there is no evil left to break the axe. if nothing in the world is evil, then it'd be impossible to use the axe for evil deeds!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #443
    Firbolg in the Playground

Would Kore's soul melding interfere with Vorpal's?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #444
    Banned

Why is everyone talking about Kore suddenly? Did I miss an update?

25. - Top - End - #445

Nah, I think we are all just assuming that he will bust down the door at the worst possible moment to add to the chaos.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Troll in the Playground

the worst possible moment
    This is Goblins. Is there any other kind?
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

New update.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, now we have a reason better than jokes or extreme arrogance for Fumbles to end up going for a high number of imprints. The obvious way for this setup to go is for there to be some unreasonably high number when Fumbles finishes beating off the demons, and then he tries anyway and dramatically survives.

Don't know if Thunt will actually go that route, though.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    New update.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, now we have a reason better than jokes or extreme arrogance for Fumbles to end up going for a high number of imprints. The obvious way for this setup to go is for there to be some unreasonably high number when Fumbles finishes beating off the demons, and then he tries anyway and dramatically survives.

Don't know if Thunt will actually go that route, though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nah. That be too happy for Gubbinz. We ned moar deth and slaughter./orky

I assume this will all end VEEERY tragic somehow.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

What is that magic FWOOM happening with the cloak in the last panel?
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

30. - Top - End - #450

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nah. That be too happy for Gubbinz. We ned moar deth and slaughter./orky

I assume this will all end VEEERY tragic somehow.
    My theory is,
    Spoiler
    Show
    he survives a large number of imprints, but all the imprints has messed with his mind and memories. He isnt fumbles anymore, he is some sort of teller gestalt. That way we get lots of grief and guilt and the gap gets to have a healer again. I picture some sort of moment when the former fumbles takes off the fake mustache and tosses it aside, dismissing it as some bit of garbage and minmax or ears keeping ahold of it with a stricken look on their face.