New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Misfile?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Misfile?

I've noticed a lack of public interest in the webcomic Misfile. Is it because few people like the comic or is it just that obscure?
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Mine started in the wilderness outside of town

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Misfile?

More likely because it has an active forum. That's where I go when I want to discuss a page. Although, they are...odd.
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Well I like it. I was browsing the webcomic list on this site like a week ago and read Misfile on a whim. But if I had to guess why other people wouldn't like it, I'd blame it on 3 things:

1. The art is good, but it's in pencil. It's just not all that eye-catching.
    2. It's got cars. Of course, it's not hard to like the parts about street-racing since the author is careful about explaining the strategy to those of us who don't get it.
    3. The main character is a male who, due to a misfiling in the divine records, has been turned female. This isn't terrible except for the fact that a lot of the humor in this is based on the sexual tension between him and pretty much every other character in the comic, which is complicated by the fact that he still thinks of himself as a "he" and still prefers girls.

The last one is probably the biggest offender. The execution of the plot is surprisingly realistic (insofar as this is possible) but that just means it's that much better at making people uncomfortable. By the way, anyone who hasn't read Misfile but is still reading this thread might want to consider trying it out. Issues 1, 2 and 3 are none of them as bad as they sound. Misfile is both funny and clever.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

While it is basically a highschool drama, and done in manga style (both of which are usually instant "turn off brain before damage occurs") I cannot stop following the story. I really like it, and cannot explain why.

Though, I do dislike the fan art pages, and probably would be very annoyed at the people that frequent the forums there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I enjoy misfile, I am a giant car geek, so I imagine that helps some, but the art style is nice and its pretty well paced and written.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Yeah, I find it to be good.

Nice art, good comedy, good story. In my primary webcomic list.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I enjoy it quite a bit. It's also the webcomic I introduce to girls that don't read comics. A lot of people just got fed up with it fast because they somehow didn't sense the forthcoming drama from the early days, which I always felt was there. There's also an inherently girly edge, and with internet demographics being how they are...
    Do not meddle in the affairs of adventurers, for you are expendable and full of EXP.

Overblown fantasy action/adventure/comedy/drama/spoof. Updates M/W/F

8. - Top - End - #8

I like Misfile! I sort of got started with the author on Building 12, then drifted over to Misfile when he started writing it. Gender-identity comics are always pretty amusing... as a source of cheap drama, anyways. Still, it's well written, and in general a good read.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

It's alright, although the artwork is annoying at times for two reasons:

1) The artist seems to be unable to draw people's faces from the side.

2) The facial expressions of the characters don't always match with what they're saying.

Otherwise, not bad.

10. - Top - End - #10

I dunno If i agree with that. Ive found the art on misfile to be pretty good actually

11. - Top - End - #11

MonkGuy

A long time ago in a ... well, you get the idea.

I enjoy it. I got into it when it was recommended to me by this thread
    Funny, I always figured I'd be killed by a paladin.
    So, what you're saying is we rolled a 1 on our credit check?

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

I think the circumstances and storyline make this a great read. Having a large archive now also helps one dive into the story. The art is a turn-off at first, but it's worth it (the art does grow on you).

13. - Top - End - #13

I greatly enjoy Misfile, and I don't even like cars.
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

14. - Top - End - #14

It's a fun series, probably one of the better ones on my list. The art could be better, but it's not bad, and the storyline is generally well done. Gender issues and psychology are always an interest of mine, so that's a definite point in its favor since it's handled well.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I think Misfile is one of those.. how to say..

It's one of your favorites.. but 'just' low enough that you recommend others over it.

I personally like it very much.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

You know, upon seeing this thread here, I just realized that I have stopped reading Misfile several months ago, and hadn't even noticed that until now? Apparently it's that boring and forgettable to me. I mean it started out allright (even if the transgender gimmick is way overdone in webcomics) but it has run out of originality several arcs ago, and is just stuck in repeat mode.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    You know, upon seeing this thread here, I just realized that I have stopped reading Misfile several months ago, and hadn't even noticed that until now? Apparently it's that boring and forgettable to me. I mean it started out allright (even if the transgender gimmick is way overdone in webcomics) but it has run out of originality several arcs ago, and is just stuck in repeat mode.
    Woa, woa, woa. Now, I've only just gotten past the first book of Misfile, because I only heard about it upon seeing this thread yesterday, so I can't comment on your comments on that. However, if Shakespeare has taught me anything, it's that transgender gimmicks can never be overdone. Truly, this sort of thing is the height of comedy.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

The story and art is so so, but he are overly dramatic for my taste.

I'm just curious to see the end.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

19. - Top - End - #19

Misfile is the only transgender comic I read, mostly because Chris treats the subject with a lot more realism than other authors. Sure, there are plenty of jokes on the subject, but apart from that sort of humor, there's an exploration of gender roles and the angst associated with not fitting into one. It has it's flaws, sure, but I don't really read the comic for the jokes or the art. Oddly, I care about the characters, which means something has been done right.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Catch View Post
    Chris treats the subject with a lot more realism
    You mean like how the main character suddenly starts crying a lot because he's driven by estrogen now rather than by testosterone?

It's so real it hurts.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Someone make a parody of the misfile and the ridiculous circumstances of the comic. For me all that car talk is greek and Ash either think too much some times or absolutely don't think at all.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by DocFrance View Post
    You mean like how the main character suddenly starts crying a lot because he's driven by estrogen now rather than by testosterone?

It's so real it hurts.
    Do you know what it's like to feel you're in the wrong body? Ever known folks that are on hormone therapy? Do you know what it's like to have a sudden influx of estrogen in your system?

Misfile is closer to the mark than you'd imagine. I enjoy Chris' story, mostly because his treatment of transgender issues is more serious and less "OMG WACKI HIJINX!"
    Last edited by Catch; 2007-11-05 at 06:07 PM.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

I like Misfile.

That is all.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Catch View Post
    Do you know what it's like to feel you're in the wrong body? Ever known folks that are on hormone therapy? Do you know what it's like to have a sudden influx of estrogen in your system?

Misfile is closer to the mark than you'd imagine. I enjoy Chris' story, mostly because his treatment of transgender issues is more serious and less "OMG WACKI HIJINX!"
    I know men who get teary-eyed over the simplest things, and I know women who barely shed a tear when their mother died. That must mean they're in the wrong body, because estrogen turns everyone into a weepy little girl!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DocFrance View Post
    I know men who get teary-eyed over the simplest things, and I know women who barely shed a tear when their mother died. That must mean they're in the wrong body, because estrogen turns everyone into a weepy little girl!
    Ignoring the fallacies in your first statement, I don't think that's what Catch was talking about. I got the impression that it had as much to do with his brain's reaction to sudden and unfamiliar levels of hormones as anything else. It isn't that all girls are weepy, it's that people get moody when a sudden influx of estrogen is introduced.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yep, cool webcomic.... I tend to like humour, but a more serious story is always fun.... I like the fact that the other main character(sorry, terrible with support cast names)'s problems are glossed over by everyone when, in fact, she's going through a bloody awfull time herself, as the author shows us very skillfully. Funny fact about emotions, did you know that the emotion center of the brain is more developped in men then in women? Makes you wonder how much social conditionning messes with us.

On TG comics...... From what I've seen it can be done well in two ways.
    It can be lighthearted and not that much a big deal (see The Wotch)
    Or it can be the focus of the whole story, with a lot of "drivers seat" moments, a lot of character development, and be dealt with much more maturely (as in Misfile)

(of course, there's the third way..... most often seen in hentai and not to be further discussed here)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I've heard of that webcomic. I actually met the creator of it at PersaCon this past summer.
    "So there I was. It was just me, some dried bagels...

AND A RAGING FLOCK OF WEREDUCKS!"