New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XCV: I am (Finally) Become Pancakes!

Spoiler: Buckball episode
    Show
    Right through the target... what variety are those apples?

Zen-master Snails is the best thing.

Fluttershy has critters living in her tail and mane, controlling the ball - clearly that is the only explanation.

Is it just me, or is Fluttershy getting a lot more variation in her expressions lately?

A pretty good episode: I just don't think about it/10

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I liked this one! All the notes worked and I appreciated how Rainbow and Applejack didn't get jealous when they realized Pinkie and Fluttershy were better. They just seamlessly swallowed their pride and handed the position over, which was an enlightened move that contrasted with their later mistake.
    Spoiler
    Show
    While I am less inclined to forgive the latter point, it was the former that elevated it from what I would have considered very mediocre or wrose to above average. Still not a fan, but it definitely had it's moments.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Concur. While I think the production values and character bits (e.g. Flutters blowing up on RD and AJ) elevated it very slightly above the average level of this season, it wasn't a good pony episode (but in it's defence, it was't a truly bad one, either.)
    Spoiler: Buckball Denver Broncos
    Show
    Seems to be the thing with a lot of these episodes in my opinion. Production/Character is carrying the episode because the story is pretty weaksauce.

I'll even admit that is the case with Trixie's episode no Second Prances. The interactions between Twi/Trix/Star were really good, but the overall story was kind of eh. I keep watching it for how nicely Starlight and Trixie hit it off in their conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: New Episode
    Show
    I get the Earth Pony and Pegasus job, but the need for unicorns escapes me; are the extra buckets viable way to get a point? If so, why aren't they guarded?
    Spoiler: Buckball Tampa Bay Buckaneers
    Show
    After watching the game part again, I do think having more players per team would make it more fun. As for unicorns, they can move the buckets far easier with their magic than if they had to hold it in their hooves.

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Spoiler: New episode
    Show
    sorry about being late but managed to watch it.
    It reminded me of what happens to trophy kids and bring pushed to succeed.
    Spoiler: Buckball Indianapolis Colts
    Show
    I played baseball little league as a kid. Never was really pushed to succeed in it, which was probably glad for cause I wasn't that good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Buckball:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fluttershy cheats using her hair extensions.
    Spoiler: Buckball Buffalo Bills
    Show
    Haha, I didn't think of that. XD

Good one. Yeah seemed weird to see Flutters use her hair to wisk the ball back around like she's some martial arts master.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilum View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Funny thing there on a rewatch - AJ says something like "Braeburn's persuaded a pegasus and a unicorn to appear on his team" like it's a massive advantage for him and almost unsporting (albeit legal). Unless it's just an obscure game the Apples know a lot about and few others do.
    Spoiler: Buckball Detrot Lions
    Show
    Well it was an obscure game. No one in Ponyville knew what it was until AJ and Dash explained it to everyone. but it is odd to say Brae got a Pegasus and Unicorn and suddenly that's how it's played. Ah well, just another oddity with the story.

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post
    Spoiler: Buckball!
    Show

+ I can understand Pinkie being a natural. Fast reflexes + Pinkie Sense + great balance. Fluttershy, on the other hoof.. Maybe her protective instinct? Or pure luck?
    Spoiler: Buckball Neigh York Giants
    Show
    Flutters is good because the storyline demands it. Really only explanation I got. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

4. - Top - End - #64
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Spoiler: Buckball episode
    Show
    Right through the target... what variety are those apples?
    Spoiler: Buckball Season
    Show
    Probably the same variety AJ intended to use on the dragon in Dragonshy.

My only complaint with this episode is that they could have spared a minute or so explaining why Starlight and Rarity weren't in the trials (Twilight's right out for obvious reasons). Other than that, it was perfectly serviceable, and respected the characters' development over time. This may be Skelly's first FiM credit, but she knows her business which is more than I can say for most of this season's stable of writers.

Geez, I can't wait for the movie to be over.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2016-09-04 at 09:14 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Spoiler: buckball season
    Show
    Taken by itself, this was a pretty good episode. The train car scene was the best, but the action montage and the game itself were pretty good too. Not a huge fan of the expressions though. They're almost so exaggerated they don't look like ponies anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Spoiler: Buckball Denver Broncos
    Show
    Seems to be the thing with a lot of these episodes in my opinion. Production/Character is carrying the episode because the story is pretty weaksauce.

I'll even admit that is the case with Trixie's episode no Second Prances. The interactions between Twi/Trix/Star were really good, but the overall story was kind of eh. I keep watching it for how nicely Starlight and Trixie hit it off in their conversations.
    Spoiler: buckball
    Show
    This is what I think has been plaguing this season (and even parts of last season) of the show. They're trying too hard to hang their hat on the character moments, which are generally well done, but they're trying to save time by having the plot and moral lesson be the same. And that really doesn't work out that well when the lesson is one we've seen before. Heck, sometimes the plots are ones we've seen before.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Spent most of day working through Black Plague and the aftermath.

Naturaly, as soon as it ended, I got hit with more dissaes...

Spoiler
    Show

It spread across basically the whole world before dying out - except, bizarrely, Africa.

I managed to squeeze in a quick blitz up through Europe, before I had to stop and rest.

I managed to get Lich killed off (with a bit of reloading) by pnumonia and medial malpractice, so at least one good thing came out of the new DLC... Going to try to avoid female rulers in future, it makes the job of setting up the next heir very difficult. (With a male, you can keep having children quite late; ideally you want to have a big long reign and then pop out a sprog in your sixties of seventies, raise 'em to adulthood and then popo you clogs. With females, fertility means you have much less time to work with).

Still, progress...

7. - Top - End - #67

Dang... Fimfiction has no way to format different fonts into your stories, does it?

I was using a different font to represent when characters were texting messages. Worked beautifully on my Google docs. Hmm... well maybe if I use font colors?

Daughter is over her cold at least. My paternal reflexes passed the... err, well the non-detailed version is that my daughter was swallowing too much fluid from her nose and her stomach decided to rebel. Ah, being a father.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Show
    Probably the same variety AJ intended to use on the dragon in Dragonshy.

My only complaint with this episode is that they could have spared a minute or so explaining why Starlight and Rarity weren't in the trials (Twilight's right out for obvious reasons).
    Show
    Big McIntosh apples?

I remember AJ saying something to the unicorns about being the only ones interested in trying the sport?

Quote Originally Posted by Toastkart View Post
    Spoiler: buckball
    Show
    And that really doesn't work out that well when the lesson is one we've seen before. Heck, sometimes the plots are ones we've seen before.
    Show
    Yeah there are definitely some repeats going on this season.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: Buckball Indianapolis Colts
    Show
    I played baseball little league as a kid. Never was really pushed to succeed in it, which was probably glad for cause I wasn't that good at it.
    Spoiler: Seaddle Seahawks
    Show
    but was that before the "everybody gets a trophy" , "we dont even keep score so there wont be any 'losers' " period started?
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Spent most of day working through Black Plague and the aftermath.

Naturaly, as soon as it ended, I got hit with more dissaes...

Spoiler
    Show

It spread across basically the whole world before dying out - except, bizarrely, Africa.

I managed to squeeze in a quick blitz up through Europe, before I had to stop and rest.

I managed to get Lich killed off (with a bit of reloading) by pnumonia and medial malpractice, so at least one good thing came out of the new DLC... Going to try to avoid female rulers in future, it makes the job of setting up the next heir very difficult. (With a male, you can keep having children quite late; ideally you want to have a big long reign and then pop out a sprog in your sixties of seventies, raise 'em to adulthood and then popo you clogs. With females, fertility means you have much less time to work with).

Still, progress...
    Well, it's always hard to invade interiors of Africa, tropical disease and heat.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: On Fluttershy in the new episode
    Show
    The reason Fluttershy did well at Buckball was due to confidence. She doesn't have any. And she probably never tries anything new because she assumes she'll be bad at it. So when she, yes, got lucky, and blocked a couple shots, she started to feel good about herself, for once in her damn life (no, I'm not equating this to real life at all, shut up!). So she built up some confidence, and actually gave it a shot. And yes, again, her hair extensions are cheat.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

This season is like... they want to do something new and awesome, but they don't want to break status quo. So the new and awesome is more "They kind of did this before and it's just okay this time."
    I kinda feel like we've got some new writers who've watched S1 and last Season but didn't have time to watch the rest, so they just read the synopsis of the episodes instead.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

12. - Top - End - #72

Haven't hit 'Submit' yet to go live, but you can still read it here~

Shadowtrot, a fanfic about the Equestrian cyberpunk future.

I need to get a cover image done for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I kinda feel like we've got some new writers who've watched S1 and last Season but didn't have time to watch the rest, so they just read the synopsis of the episodes instead.
    That is a good observation. With so many episodes about friendship lessons done, it's too easy to repeat stuff if you haven't watched the whole series. And even then...

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Spoiler: On Fluttershy in the new episode
    Show
    The reason Fluttershy did well at Buckball was due to confidence. She doesn't have any. And she probably never tries anything new because she assumes she'll be bad at it. So when she, yes, got lucky, and blocked a couple shots, she started to feel good about herself, for once in her damn life (no, I'm not equating this to real life at all, shut up!). So she built up some confidence, and actually gave it a shot. And yes, again, her hair extensions are cheat.
    Spoiler: Buckshy Flutterball
    Show
    Even then, confidence doesn't make one do that well at a sport you never heard of until that day. So it is obvious that those extensions give her mad cheating Buckball skills. :3

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    Spoiler: Seaddle Seahawks
    Show
    but was that before the "everybody gets a trophy" , "we dont even keep score so there wont be any 'losers' " period started?
    Spoiler: In the Old Days...
    Show
    It was! While everyone got a little baseball pin to wear for participating (and a slice of pizza), only the top three teams got full on medals for their victory. Scores were kept and posted, and everyone was told about good sportsmanship when losing. Honestly, I didn't care that my team was second to last, I got pizza.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: Buckshy Flutterball
    Show
    Even then, confidence doesn't make one do that well at a sport you never heard of until that day. So it is obvious that those extensions give her mad cheating Buckball skills. :3
    Spoiler: Princess' Park Rangers
    Show

... No. Not just the extensions. It's the unnaturally prehensile tail from her flutterbat heritage. She's the pony Caster Semenya of buckball

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Looks good so far - how long do you expect it to be?
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

15. - Top - End - #75

DwarfClericGuy

Show

... No. Not just the extensions. It's the unnaturally prehensile tail from her flutterbat heritage. She's the pony Caster Semenya of buckball
    Spoiler: Flutterbuck
    Show

Y'know? This could work. You have a point there
    Her vampire fruitbat genes could make it easier for her to identify and home in on falling round red objects.
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

16. - Top - End - #76

Show

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post
    Spoiler: Flutterbuck
    Show

Y'know? This could work. You have a point there
    Her vampire fruitbat genes could make it easier for her to identify and home in on falling round red objects.
    Spoiler: Buckball Canon Power
    Show
    Haha, well you two sold me on this. XD

I'm envisioning an undefeated batpony team too. AJ decides to break out the secret weapon...

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Looks good so far - how long do you expect it to be?
    Quite long. It's loosely based off a campaign I ran, and I have the outline set up to make it an epic tale. Like one of those big long-runner stories.

...did not intend the pun, but intended the pun.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Grinning from ear to ear at the return of a certain pirate. Looking forward to more.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: Buckball Canon Power
    Show
    I'm envisioning an undefeated batpony team too. AJ decides to break out the secret weapon...
    Spoiler: Trotmere Rovers
    Show

Gasp! Not... The brown balls????

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I almost feel sorry for Switchblade now. Is her introduction always having cracked her horn?

Also, for some reason, the word "trotters" sounds dirty to me, but I can't figure out why.

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Grinning from ear to ear at the return of a certain pirate. Looking forward to more.
    Yay! I definitly look forward to every time I get to sit down and write this story. This one is loads of fun to work on.

Spoiler: Trotmere Rovers
    Show

Gasp! Not... The brown balls????
    Spoiler: Buckball... colored... um...
    Show
    Wait, brown? Why would... that... the thing is... but...

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    I almost feel sorry for Switchblade now. Is her introduction always having cracked her horn?

Also, for some reason, the word "trotters" sounds dirty to me, but I can't figure out why.
    It does seem like a terrible running gag, doesn't it?

Um... I have no idea why it sounds that way to you. For once in my life I seem not to be in the gutter. ^^;
    Digo Dragon - Artist

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

Spoiler
    Show

<points at one opposing team member> "This pony's got the right idea. He brought the brown buckballs."
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It does seem like a terrible running gag, doesn't it?

Um... I have no idea why it sounds that way to you. For once in my life I seem not to be in the gutter. ^^;
    Hmm, I think... wasn't there an episode where Flim and Flam tried to sell a miracle tonic that would cure anything, and one of those was "the trots" which I can only imagine being the pony equivalent of the runs... as in diarrhea. Of course that does seem equially horrible to be a runner or a trotter in that case, but it makes shadowrunning sound more like trying to find the bathroom in the dark because you don't have time to look for the light switch at night.

I think I'll stop before that train of thought goes anywhere even more horrible and/or disgusting. And, um... sorry if you can't see the word "Shadowrun" as something not related to a toilet joke anymore.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

So, watching Pokémopn Diamond and Pearl, I can't quite figure out whether Dawn is as hard as freakin' nails tanking round in the snow in her short skirt or... Why else a ten-year old girl should be depicted as tanking around in weather inappropriate gear. (Well, bad places only result from that.)

Bloody solid Pokémon series, otherwise, though. Even most of the fillers with Team Rocket being the sole problem are usually pretty well executed and don't feel all that much like filler.

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

<points at one opposing team member> "This pony's got the right idea. He brought the brown buckballs."
    Hmm, maybe I'm... oh wait, I think I get it now. Okay. ^^;

Deadpool reference, right?

Hmm, I think... wasn't there an episode where Flim and Flam tried to sell a miracle tonic that would cure anything, and one of those was "the trots" which I can only imagine being the pony equivalent of the runs... as in diarrhea.
    That was also an actual slang term for the condition in the old American frontier.

I think I'll stop before that train of thought goes anywhere even more horrible and/or disgusting. And, um... sorry if you can't see the word "Shadowrun" as something not related to a toilet joke anymore.
    Well, my brain is forever ruined.

I can't quite figure out whether Dawn is as hard as freakin' nails tanking round in the snow in her short skirt or... Why else a ten-year old girl should be depicted as tanking around in weather inappropriate gear.
    Maybe she's from Michigan? Everyone I know from there seems to have Cold Resist 20.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #85
    Bugbear in the Playground

Digo, how about "Shadowcanter"? Kind of trips off the tongue.
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

26. - Top - End - #86
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Cute

But in all seriousness, I think Digo's original choice is fine. And if the gait used is to be changed at all, it should remain one syllable to maintain the parallel to Shadowrun. A point of interest: it seems "lope" is another name for canter.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Show
    Spoiler: rainjoke crash
    Show
    yeah... I'll have to admit I put logic in the way of the joke there. I was going with "red balls=apples so brown = rotten apples and the bats avoid them". Was never really happy with it and I should have just gone with something like "gasp! Not..? But..? You fiend!" But we're all geniuses with hindsight (or by getting the edit in before anyone notices!). Ho hum.

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Cute
    Hee hee. It sounds nice, but then what is a member of the profession called?

Shadowrun --> Runner
    Shadowtrot --> Trotter
    Shadowcanter --> ?

Hmm, I had forgotten that one. Neat!

Spoiler: rainjoke crash
    Show
    yeah... I'll have to admit I put logic in the way of the joke there. I was going with "red balls=apples so brown = rotten apples and the bats avoid them". Was never really happy with it and I should have just gone with something like "gasp! Not..? But..? You fiend!" But we're all geniuses with hindsight (or by getting the edit in before anyone notices!). Ho hum.
    Spoiler: The Joke
    Show
    The logic is there, I can see that now. Wasn't what I came to the conclusion of. ^^;
    Digo Dragon - Artist

29. - Top - End - #89
    Firbolg in the Playground

Welp, it's Tuesday! And somehow, despite having internet for most of that time, I just never got around to watching New Pony until a few hours ago.

I will say that while the plot is so so, the lesson is pretty good. And the faces... Oh, sweet everything that is good, the faces and the animation are fantastic.

Spoiler: New Faces, now in Gif Form
    Show

I also liked that when it came down to expressing the problem, it was Fluttershy who opened up with the rant.

Call it a B. Might have been lower, but I was having fun throughout.

EDIT: I would also like to declare that dancing Pinkie with pompom hair is approximately 3000% the best thing.

Also, now that I look back, I just realized that we got a shot in-show of Fluttershy raising her tail. The fandom's going to have fun with that...

EDIT EDIT:
    That is all.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2016-09-06 at 08:07 AM.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

30. - Top - End - #90

Busy now that the school is back on, but I managed to finish a third Minecraft Megaproject dedicated to Ponies. This one is for Princess Cadance, and is named Basilica Amorosa Sanctae Cadentiae.

Spoiler: Basilica Amorosa Sanctae Cadentiae
    Show

Unus Mundus, Una Veritas, Unum Imperium.