New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: The Devil's in the details (So I hope you read the fine print)

Spoiler: Spot
    Show
    (1d20)[15]

Jonas moves swiftly to head off a confrontation.

"Peace, friends!" he says softly, holding up placating hands. "You can plainly see that the wolf has been tamed. It will pose no further threat to you.

"Rather than become distracted with matters of no consequence, let us focus on the problems of this village. Now, if I understand you correctly - and forgive our overhearing -you are in need of arms and armour to defend yourselves. Adin and the other traders have them, but will not part with them. Why? Surely if it is a question of price, something can be agreed?"

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+13)[27]

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Listening to Jonas's words, and Madclaws big frame seems to put the mayor and Logan at ease as they both lower their weapons, though they do keep an eye on the wolf you note. Its your responsibilty whatever that beast does around this village then, and trust me if so much as a chicken goes missing it will be blamed on your....new friend." The mayor says as politely as he can looking at a wolf when reports of a wolf attacking some of the village animals has been going around.

"Adin has always been stubborn with prices, but from what he was telling me ealier he doesn't have any more left. And needs to craft more which could take weeks in his words. "Won't let nothing but my best come out of my smith". Logan replies, impersonating the dwarven smith as best he can. "As for the traders, the mayor jumps in, They refuse to sell because they believe they will need the weapons to protect themselves to make it back to civilivation. They are thinking of making a run for it, two other carts have already left. Though if they actually made it or not is unknown.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jonas nods thoughtfully.

"Reasonable concerns," he agrees. "For our part, we slew a good number of the devils, and mean to return and deal with the rest. Perhaps if we spoke to the traders, they would agree to remain until we have done so, lending their weapons to shared defence.

"And after that, I think we shall be leaving as well. May as well travel with them. Perhaps, with us along, they will feel safe to trade away some of their weapons.

"But perhaps there is another solution."

Looking thoughtful, he turns to Madclaw and Abben.

"How far away are your people? Could they offer aid - or at least spare weapons and armour?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I think the brothers were exiled, but I don't believe Jonas knows that.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Firbolg in the Playground

Madclaw shakes his head negatively. "Our people are an isolated folk, they do not leave the mountains lightly." Further queries lead to silence on the subject, but he changes gears, suggesting, "While we are waiting for our new weapons, perhaps we might investigate the road out of town. If we find evidence that the previous traders did not make it, perhaps that might encourage these ones to stay."
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"A good thought," Jonas agrees. "But it might be worth talking to them first, see what their concerns are, what can be done to address them."

Turning back to the mayor, he adds, "Can we do anything else to help make the village safe? This is my home - I feel duty-bound to help if I can."

6. - Top - End - #366
    Bugbear in the Playground

"We should not be fragmenting at a time like this," Hadrian says. "Everyone in the village needs to work together to put a stop to what went on in the mines."
    He nods at what Jonas says.
    "We don't know how bad things are going to turn out, making the village defensible is a priority. But we also can't let it distract too much from clearing the mines, the source of the danger."

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Logan looks at Jonas a few seconds before speaking, making sure to word what he said correctly. “I am sure if some well known heroes were to make such a suggestion the traders would agree to this. After all a few dings in a weapon used by a great hero, just the heroes name alone would add gold to its price. Sadly no such heroes live in this village, meaning you would be asking them to give their wealth away or they will die either from the devils or the towns people. After all one cannot sell a damaged weapon, and that is a risk they would be taking.” Logan points out to Jonas the difficulty of such an argument. “I suspect they would be a bit more agreeable if you promised to lead them to the main road three days from here, though why are you leaving? This is your home after all is it not.” The mayor adds in, no doubt finding it odd that more of the villagers were thinking about leaving the village.

“If you do that, if they didn’t make it, whatever you could bring back would no doubt be a great help in defending the village in case those things come back.” The mayor offers, though it is clear while a good natured man, he is not used to all of this otherworldly stuff. “Great thinking Madclaw, if they see you return with anything that might have belonged to one of the other traders who left, no doubt they won’t think about leaving until they know they are safe.” Logan says with a beaming smile at the brilliance of the idea.

“Well you could help making fortifactions, we have everyone in town trying to find whatever they can to try and make sure we do not get caught off guard again. There is also the matter of, something taking our food.” The mayor says looking to the wolf as if to say it was the wolf. “A few people have also gone missing since the attacks, not enough to be concerned about after all we are a village that makes its living on lumber and such so they may not have returned yet. But there are two missing people that we know of so far. And I say missing because most of the women around here do not work as lumberjacks, and both of the people missing are women.” The mayor says, thinking for a few seconds before nodding his head, not able to think of anything else.

As for the mines, you say that is where these bloody things are coming from that attacked our village? Well don't the dwarves have it under control by now? I mean from what I understand they don't like people nosing around their business, just look at Adin." The mayor asks, not realizing that everyone inside the mines was no doubt dead.

8. - Top - End - #368

"I'm sorry to say that the dwarves have been largely wiped out, the mines belong to the devils," Hadrian ssays sadly. "Can you give us more information on these events? Where the women went missing and any clue on how the food was taken?"

9. - Top - End - #369

Madclaw struggles to keep the many ideas in the conversation together. "Our priority are the devils in the mines. The blow we have dealt them is minor. Our priority should be defending this village and keeping everyone who is in it, at present, safe. Mayor, based on what we have seen in the mines, I urge you to use whatever powers the good people of this settlement have invested you with. This is a state of emergency.

There are many tasks that you have set before us and as soon as my blade is ready, I intend to take it and head into those mines and finish what we have started. A three day's journey means six days traveling; that would unnecessarily delay us. I have no intention of accompanying those traders anywhere. Among my people we have stories of faraway lands where wise kings put private goods to collective use, and where all people are made to produce value to the society at large. My people reject this as unnecessary, but perhaps you might find inspiration in that story. Of course, no one needs to take what is freely given, and none need be enslaved who volunteer. I assure any who would listen, if the devils reach the surface, and take this village, they will spread over the surface of this world like a plague. They will not offer a choice of productive labor and the term of service will be infinite. I hope Jonas can convince the traders to stay,
    " he says, looking at his friend before continuing.

"In truth, I fear that the devils may have already sent expeditionary forces to the surface. I intend to scout the area surrounding the village, and if I come across any sign of the missing villagers, or whatever may be taking your food, or the trade expeditions, I will investigate. My wolf will accompany me, which should assuage your villagers fears. Any information you have which might point me in the right direction on these matters would be appreciated."

Then he turns to the rest of the party, "I do not mean to speak for any of you. I move quickly overland, and my wolf moves faster than I do. If you can keep up, you are welcome... if not, you might put yourself to better use here, in town. There is always the possibility that whatever is threatening the town--stealing its food, disappearing its people--is a threat from within, not without. My talents are not suited for that sort of work, anyway." Then he turns to Abben, "You know the smoke signals to use to signal me. I do not intend to be more than a day's travel from the settlement at any time; I will be able to see them. I intend to return when the adamantine weapons are ready;
    if you find need for me to return sooner, signal.
    If I find pressing information, I will return posthaste.
    "

Madclaw intends to have Blue track the traders along their route out of town. Before he leaves, he will listen to anyone's reasonable objections, and perhaps they might convince him to do otherwise. He will also ask the mayor to summon someone here to provide him with healing, so that he can leave immediately. If the mayor can not, he will head into the wilderness at less than full strength, intending to travel as fast and as far as he can before making camp at nightfall with his vast experience at survival to guide him.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2017-06-25 at 08:10 PM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jonas blinks in stunned silence for a moment, shocked at his "barbarian" friend's eloquence.

Once he has recovered, he turns to the others.

"It seems we have a plan. Hadrian, Abben, if I go speak with the traders, will you make some initial enquiries into these disappearances? I'll meet you back at the tavern when I've finished, unless our paths cross before that."

Like Madclaw, he makes his farewells and leaves to do so unless anything is said to dissuade him.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

Go swiftly, brother; Abben says, not wanting to separate from him at this time. But if this is the way it must be, Abben resolved, then so be it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

12. - Top - End - #372

"You'd be better at talking than me," Hadrian says, nodding at Jonas's suggestion.
    "Make sure you don't take any unnecessary risks," he tells Madclaw as a farewell. He was impressed with his friends words.
    Once Madclaw leaves he will ask the mayor for more information on the disappearances.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

As Madclaw speaks about how his tribe has heard of wise kings of old taking private goods in states of emergency you can see that he is listening to what you have to say. Weighing the options before him as the village relies on trade with the outside world for many things. However after a few moments he speaks up. “I believe if Jonas and Hardian come with me and Logan we may be able to convince them to part with at least some of their weapons. Though I doubt they will be happy about it. I hope you find something of value out there that will appease them if we get them to agree, because in human lands nothing ever comes without a price sadly.” The mayor says to everyone, as he looks to Logan who nods his support.

“The traders left by the main road in and out of the village, so if you plan on investigating what happened to them I would start by heading west following the main road away from the mines. And if what you say is true, the devil things have a force already outside the mines they no doubt are at least watching the village, so they would no doubt be closer to the Northeast and southeastern parts of the village. Though to my knowledge the only wolves around here are the pack due north of here by the river.” The mayor offers the two brothers so that they would have an idea of where to start. And so unless anyone stops the two brothers, they depart the village. One can only hope nothing happens while they are away as only they know these smoke signals the goliath race uses.

As Abben and Madclaw depart it becomes clear that the party is split in two, those of a more physical mind set searching the woods for their enemies, while the scholars try to make sure no one within the town would betray them. Jonas, Logan, and the Mayor depart to go speak with the traders, but not before telling Hardian the names of the three families who have missing family members. The Chambelle family which has been known for its furs for a great deal of time now. The Silverleaf family, a local family of elves who have been the village story tellers for the past two centuries, their daughter Hazel having just turned fifty. And as the mayor says the last name even Jonas is caught off guard as his mentors newest pupil, Elizabeth Rose is mentioned as the last missing person.

"What I don't get is where little Beth went? At least the other two were close to being adults, she was just about to turn ten, there is no possible way she wandered off on her own." Logan says a tinge of sadness in his voice as he thinks about all those that have been lost, and all the people who he may never see again.

Spoiler: Madclaw and Abben
    Show
    Survival check and what direction you plan on going in (N wolves, W traders, NE-SE searching for any stray devils trying to make a foothold)

Spoiler: Jonas
    Show
    If you want to have a chat with the mayor now or logan that is up to you, after this though you will be arriving at the traders encampment

Spoiler: Hardian
    Show
    Gather information, or knowledge local check will be able to tell you more about the families and where people may think the girls have gone off to. Or you can simply go to the places mentioned and begin asking questions which is much more fun.

14. - Top - End - #374

Walking with his brother in the wilderness brings back memories of countless childhood afternoons spent in much the same way. The flora and fauna may be different, but the overall effect is the same, calming and serene as he tries to clear his mind of all the crazy devil business that has transpired of late. His wolf pads along silently behind him, walking happily behind his new master. Madclaw leads the small contingent along the road west out of town, looking for signs of the traders.

Spoiler: Survival
    Show
    (1d20+10)[17]; Blue Takes 10 to Assist for +2 = 19
    Last edited by esorscher; 2017-06-30 at 09:14 AM.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

Abben walks about the woods with his adoptive brother. It was good to be free of others, and venture out with his brother once again. He keeps his focus active and engaged by looking for clues in areas that Madclaw's newly befriended wolf did not.

Spoiler
    Show
    I have Scent, survival check and all that: (1d20+11)[14]
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: @Abben and Madclaw
    Show
    While it takes some time, the two of you with the help of Blue easily follow the distinct tracks of two wagons leading out of the village. Though because it has not rained in a few days, the ground is rather firm, making it harder for the two of you to notice without Blue pointing out a new track every few hundred feet. From what it looks like the small caravan of two was trying to move as fast as they could to get out of these woods, and if they kept up this speed no doubt they are at the least a day and a half ahead of you.

However both of you know from your childhood how easy it is to hide within such a forest as dense as this one, looking to both sides of the road it is clear anyone wishing could have followed with ease anyone coming or going from the village, without being seen by any that were not actively searching the forest around them. And given you are an hour away from the village, it is safe to say this would be where an enemy force would set up a watch, after all with only one way into the village from the main road it was something far enough away no one would stumble onto you, yet close enough that you would be able to see the comings and goings of anyone traveling along the road as these merchants were doing.

17. - Top - End - #377

Both Madclaw and Blue keep a weather eye and ear for danger as they proceed along the road, continuing their search.

Spoiler
    Show
    Madclaw Spot: (1d20+2)[7]
    Madclaw Listen: (1d20+2)[5]
    Blue Spot: (1d20+3)[14]
    Blue Listen: (1d20+3)[4]

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground

Abben follows up from the back, glaive in hand in case it is needed.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen: (1d20+5)[22]
    Spot: (1d20+5)[24]
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Abben and Madclaw
    Show
    As the three of you continue along the path looking this way and that for any sort of ambush that may come from the woods around you your eyes detect no movement at all, and listening to your surroundings reveals that everything is as it should be. It is only on a second pass that Abben notices a strange object sticking out of the ground, looking much like a farmers scarecrow. However the more he focuses on it, the more apparent it becomes that this was once a devil, crucified from the looks of it a hundred feet away to the north of your location. It doesn’t seem to move a single inch as you watch it carefully for a few moments.

Perhaps this was a warning the Merchants placed to anyone trying to attack them, or some other forest Denzin that you are not aware of, but why would they put it so far back into the woods if that was the case? Had it not been for Abben’s keen eyesight he would have missed it entirely and the three of you would have continued along your path up the road. Speaking of which, looking down at the tracks it doesn’t appear that the caravan of two stopped here either, meaning it could not have been them that placed it there, so who?

Spoiler: What you see
    Show

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2017-06-30 at 03:04 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380

"Do you know much about her?" he asks Jonas, seeing if there was anything he could learn on Elizabeth. He didn't know how much Jonas stayed in contact.
    When Jonas and Hadrian split up, Hadrian picks one family at random to start with, ending up heading to the elven family.
    Last edited by Timble; 2017-06-30 at 11:50 PM.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Abben walks up to the dead devil and prods it with his guisarme, seeing if that provokes a response. All the while, he continues to sniff the air for a trace of other living beings around.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #382

Madclaw moves at double-speed around the back of the scarecrow as Abben approaches, positioning himself to charge the construction from behind should it suddenly spring to life. Some may call it paranoia, but he views it simply as a necessity of survival.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: @Abben and Madclaw
    Show
    As the two brothers move towards the construct it does not move, not even as Madclaw seems to move into a flanking position should it try to. However just before Abben's guisarme is about to touch it an ear piercing scream worst than anything you have ever heard before erupts from the creatures throat causing Blue to whimper in pain at the loud noise just as the loud noise tries to stun Abben into with the sheer volume.

Spoiler: Piercing Scream
    Show
    7 Sonic Damage to Abben and Blue, Fort DC 13 or be stunned for 1 round

As the ear piercing scream rips through the forest it seems all the birds in the area seem to take flight trying to get away from the source of the scream of tortured pain that had erupted from the devil before you. The question is how is this thing still alive.

Spoiler: Important
    Show

Unidentifed enemy 13
    Madclaw 9
    Abben 7

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

I moved your characters to the best of my ability with what you gave

24. - Top - End - #384

"We will have to remember this forest," Madclaw says to his brother nonchalantly as he charges the devil, "The growth here is unusually dense; it should yield a surplus of lumber."

Although badly hurt, Blue moves in for the kill as well, attempting to trip the devil, should she successfully bite into its abominable flesh.

Spoiler
    Show
    Madclaw Powerful Power Attack Charge:
    -2 AC, +2 Attack Charge
    +1d8 Damage Powerful Charge
    -3 Attack, +6 Damage Power Attack
    +2 Attack Flanking
    +2 Damage Favored Enemy
    (1d20+9)[21], (2d8+13)[16]+(1d8)[3]+2
    AC 9 T 7 FF 8

Blue Charge/ Trip
    (1d20+5)[17], (1d6+1)[6]
    If successful, (1d20+1)[2] to trip
    AC 12 T 10 FF 10
    Last edited by esorscher; 2017-07-01 at 08:33 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

----------
    A few miles away

As a trio of enemies search through the remains of an overturned wagon the largest of the three seems to stop as the wind picks up momentarily, as if waiting for something before a voice speaks to him. “Two strangers leaving the village, they have seen me. I will try to distract them. Will reply shortly if I can lead them astray.” The voice on the wind says into the ear of the largest of those assembled. Prigotov'tes' k atake. Dva neznakomtsa pokidayut derevnyu ot togo, chto govorit nash razvedchik. It sends telepathically to the two smaller figures in the night, who stop what their searching of the wagon. “Kak dolgo u nas yest'? YA progolodalsya, i eta loshad' vyglyadela dostatochno khorosho, chtoby poyest', yeye tol'ko mertvyye neskol'ko chasov.” One of the voices replies only to get a sinister growl as a reply from the largest of the group. Not wanting to anger the apparent leader any more than they already had both seem to cut off, with one of the many swords laying around, a part of the horses flank, just big enough to munch on as they wait for a reply from their leader telling them what the scout had learned.
    ----------

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Madclaw while you and Blue may not have been effected by this things opening attack it is clear as your brother drops his weapon and seems unable to move that he was. And with a cruel smile the devil seems to vanish into thin air.

Spoiler: Spot Check DC 22
    Show
    As you search around the clearing you notice the devil you had been fighting on the other side of the road, hidden amongst the trees, however not good enough as your eyes pick up on him.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...zfByyouwk/edit
    Unknown enemy
    Madclaw & Blue
    Abben

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jonas takes a while to think about his answer.

"She's always struck me as... skittish," he says finally. "She's learning to cope with magical abilities that she cannot always control. That is a difficult path for anyone. Isolating. I can't say she and I have ever been close, but I'd like to think there's a mutual respect there - that she recognises our shared experience of growing up with magic, even if I have had an easier time of it than she has.

"In terms of where she might go, we might try speaking with my mentor - Halina - who has been helping her. If anyone in this village really knows Elisabeth, she does.

"I feel that this business with the traders is urgent, so I will speak with them first, but if you haven't spoken with Halina before I get back, I'll go."

Soon after that, he bids Hadrian farewell and heads for the traders.

28. - Top - End - #388

The battle seemingly won for the moment, Madclaw suggests, "It looks like anything that could even remotely be considered devilish, we should smash on sight." Keeping his greatclub drawn, he makes his way back toward the road, once Abben has shaken off the stunning effect. Unless something happens he can respond to, he will continue his search for the wagons.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2017-07-04 at 02:42 PM.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Abben & Madclaw
    Show
    As the two of you look around your surroundings, looking for any sign of the devil you had just been fighting you note it seems as peaceful as when you first arrived here, and before long Madclaw and Blue begin making their way back to the road, leaving Abben with a choice, to either follow them, or continue walking alongside them in the woods for a short time to see if he came across anything as they walked down the road.

Spoiler: Important
    Show

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Only Abben has his full turn left for the round, unless noted otherwise I will assume Madclaw and Blue have a ready action or are fighting defensively.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

Abben shakes the effect off and follows his brother dutifully
    Spoiler
    Show