New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Devil's in the details (So I hope you read the fine print)

Spoiler: Abben & Madclaw
    Show
    Abben closing the short distance to your brother and his new pet does not take long as you soon join the two of them on the road, no doubt getting ready to continue your journey back the way you came, however as the three of you begin walking you note a strange glow coming from the east, turning to take a look all three of you note five balls of light, much like how the elders described spirits, flying towards you. However they soon vere off into groups, two heading towards Madclaw, another two towards Abben, while the lone one goes to target Blue, each spirit like ball striking as if it were a solid object before vanishing. Following the direction the balls of light came from you can all see the outline of the devil no longer able to hide saying he gave away his position.

Spoiler: Important
    Show

Abben 9 Damage
    Madclaw 5 damage
    Blue 4 Damage

Map https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    I will count it as you have your normal movement for this round, on top of half from last round, due to the unwasted standard action you both had last round.

Round 3 Players Turn

Spoiler: Jonas
    Show
    Answering the few questions Hardian had, and noting he didn’t seem to have anymore, you part ways with your friend in the hopes that splitting up will accomplish more goals. Making your way towards the gate you soon find yourself outside the ring of wagons that makes up the encampment of the traders, each of which you note seems to have some form of weapon close at hand. As you get closer to the group, and they note you intend to enter their camp a few of the men step forward, blocking your path between two of the wagons from getting inside of their camp. “I cannot say I have seen you before my friend, however given the circumstances I believe it would be best if you remain where you are. At least until we know it is safe to allow you into our camp, I hope you can understand. We don’t wish to have an incident with your town is all, and I suspect soon our plights will come to a head.” The spokesperson of the group calls out, and while his hand is at his belt, it is clearly relaxed, more as a precaution then a threat at the moment. Even the others with him seem more worried about making sure you don’t come in rather than harming you or the other two who seem to be standing a good distance back as you note the Mayor and Logan kinda watching from a distance.

Spoiler: Hadrian
    Show
    Hardian as you listen to your friend tell you what little he can about young Elizabeth you note nothing seems to really stand out about the girl, hoping that by speaking with the other families something may stick out to you, and so you make your way over to speak with the Silverleaf family. As you arrive at the door you can hear a woman sobbing inside, however it quickly falls silent as you knock on the door, and Aleron Silverleaf opens the door. “Hadrian right, I do not mean to be rude, but me and my wife are busy at the moment is there something important you came to ask us? If not perhaps you could come by later?” Aleron remarks, looking back a few times as if checking to see if something inside was okay, before turning back to you.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jonas takes in the defensive ring, the armed men, and the welcoming committee. Nodding to himself, he strives to project an aura of calm and confidence without being threatening.

"A sensible precaution, given recent events," Jonas replies. "And we can talk just as easily from here, if perhaps not in as much comfort.

"Clearly you suffered from the recent attacks as well. An infestation of devils in the local mine, it turns out.

"First, the good news. My friends and I have been to the mine, inflicted heavy losses on the devils, and managed to close off the portal through which they were being reinforced. The threat has been reduced to one which, if we set aside our differences and work together, we mortals can deal with.

"Now, clearly you're well armed and equipped to defend yourselves. The villagers are not. Being entirely open with you, I have come to discuss a joining of forces until the current crisis is resolved.

"You have good quality weapons, but a shortage of men to wield them. The villagers have numbers, but lack weapons. Surely a shared defence is only logical?"

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+13)[15]
    Last edited by ilinares; 2017-07-06 at 02:44 AM.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

Abben begins to position himself to attack their assailants, but not before muttering a quick prayer for good fortune to the spirits of the natural world. He tries to shortcut the trees and use the straightest path to the devil, and positions a tree in front of himself to allow for some cover in case the devil tries to shoot his magic once more.

Spoiler
    Show
    So if I get 1.5x my movement, by my count I can get to three spaces above the enemy and one space to the left. I cast Bless on me, Madclaw and Blue
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

4. - Top - End - #394
    Bugbear in the Playground

"There is an important reason I have come to see you," Hadrian says. "My friends and I have been dealing with the recent devil attack on the village along with other problems. I am currently investigating the disappearances. I know that things are currently hard for you, but it would be helpful if you and your family could answer a few questions."

5. - Top - End - #395
    Firbolg in the Playground

Suitably blessed, Madclaw and Blue position themselves such that on their next opportunity, they will be able to charge and flank the devil, unless he moves. Madclaw moves to the east while Blue heads to the southeast, intending to take up sides on the devil's east and west flanks, leaving Abben the middle.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Abben knowing to rush this enemy you would only open yourself up to an attack yourself, you instead plant yourself behind cover of a strong tree just within striking range of the devil. To your left you watch as both your brother and Blue begin to close in around the demon with you, trying to cut off all possible escape routes.

Madclaw as you and Blue move as a pack to support your brother a smile comes over your face, this devil had no where else to run, and soon its existence would be no more. It wouldn't be able to harm any of the people of the village.

Or at least that is the hope, as before all of your eyes the devil seems to vanish once more, hiding again it seems somewhere, and if the last time he pulled this trick is any idea of what he is capable of, it is still somewhere close no doubt, where he can still see and strike you from. However it seems he had a very rough landing, or perhaps did not land where expected as he is quite visible to everyone, just west of his previous position.

Spoiler: Important
    Show

The road runs west to east, the top being west so SE would have made Blue go to the opposite side of the map. Because I didn't think thats what you intended I changed it, however next time I make a Map I will have an A-Z at the top, and 1-99 running down its length to make things easier.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Round 4 your turn

Show
    Jonas as you speak the traders seem to listen to what you have to say, and as you come to an end you note they begin talking to themselves for a few moments before the same trader turns to look at you once more. “It is true we do not have as great a number of men with us as the village, however if the enemy is at the mines, all we need to do is leave the village and we will be safe. After all the mines are in the opposite direction as the mines. My friends and I see no reason for us to hand out what is our livelihood simply for the betterment of humanity.” The lead trader remarks which gets a few nods of approval from the other traders you can see, no doubt there are others with bows you can not.

“My friends and I do see the plight the village is suffering and in this case should the village agree to pay a little above what it takes to create such fine weapons as well as help defend us until it is safe to travel the road again I believe we can make a deal.” The trader counters with his own offer, not convinced by your words fully to lose so much wealth.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The deal is basically for 75% of the normal cost of the weapon, so while he is willing to sell the weapons cheaper, he refuses to lose a profit.

Spoiler: Hardin
    Show
    Aleron Silverleaf listens to your words, as you explain to him that you have been fighting the devils at the mines, and are now looking into the disappearances of those in the village. “Do you think it was the devils from the mines? And if so wouldn’t you have found the girls and not be here talking to me?” The grieving father says to you not seeing the connection between the devils in the mines and his daughter missing. “Normally I would say she might be lost in the woods, or got hurt, but there are two other little girls missing, I doubt that would be the case. Especially saying my little Hazel was never one to travel outside the gates. She was more at home in Spiteful Dryad listening to all the strange tales of far of places and peoples the traders talked about or playing her lute on stage.” Alaron says to you, making it clear that his daughter would never venture out of the village without telling someone.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2017-07-07 at 09:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #397

"I do not know if the mines and the disappearances are connected," Hadrian says. "Only that now is a dangerous time and we need to keep everyone safe."
    He thinks on what he has just been told. He could probably find a clue in the Spiteful Dryad. But he still has questions.
    "May I please ask you some questions?" he asks.
    Spoiler: Questions
    Show

1: When was the last time you saw her and what was she doing?
    2: Has she been acting strange lately? Has she changed her behaviour or her friends?
    3: Would anyone want to harm her or your family?
    4: Does she know Elizabeth Rose or the Chambelle girl?
    5: Do you know much about them? When have you last seen them.

"Thank you for your time. I will do the best I can to locate your daughter. I will check out the Spiteful Dryad to see if anyone there knows anything."
    Unless there is more to be said, he heads to the Dryad. He didn't know how much danger the girls were in, he needed to find them quickly and waste no time.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    As you explain you do not know if the two seemingly separate problems going on in the area are related or not Aleron seems to relax a little. As if knowing that it might not be the devils puts his mind at ease, people he could deal with. Extra planar creatures not in this lifetime. “Just make it quick, I need to get back to my wife.” Aleron says, waiting for your questions.

“I would have to say the last time I saw her was the night you, Jonas, and the two brothers went off towards the mines after the demon things attacked the village. When they first attacked I told her and her mother to run while I held off the ones attacking our home. My wife said they got separated soon after when they were making their way to the Spiteful Dryad.”

“No new friends, we tend to only have the same traders come to the village, though those girls staying in the Spiteful Dryad, never seen them before so maybe Hazel was listening to what stories they had to share. “

“Hadrian you have been in this village how long now? We are all practically family, except Adin, and he would not hurt Hazel he practically helped raise her.”

“I am sure she knew Kerri, at least from around town. They were similar in maturity; though I doubt she knew Elizabeth, if anyone knows anything about her I would say it is your friend Jonas or his old master. They have spent the most time with the girl since she arrived in town.”

“I know the Kerri girl was said to be marrying one of the traders’ children. Not sure exactly which though. As for Elizabeth, she mostly stood in the building with Jonas’s old master. I know her age, that is about it though.”

As Aleron finishes your last question it is clear that this whole ordeal has been very trying for him as a tear begins to streak down his cheek before he regains his composer enough to finish listening to you. “If you find her I promise there will be a reward, I just want my baby home.” The proud elf says as the tears begin to flow again so he bids you ado before closing the door to his home.

9. - Top - End - #399

As Hadrian makes his way to the Spiteful Dryad, he thought about what he had learned. From what he had been told, she had never made it. That made it sound like she was taken by the devils, but he couldn't assume. She hung around this place, perhaps someone had seen her.
    The traders would also know her. After he was done at the dryad, he would head to the Chambelle house to give Jonas time to negotiate before he got there. If he got there while Jonas was still there, then the both of them could investigate Elizabeth. He wondered how much of a connection the victims had. One vanished the night of the attack, had the rest?

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    In a village of only one hundred and forty five people, it was hard to not know almost everyone in the village to some extent. And the fact that not only one girl was missing, but three was not lost on you as you mulled over all the possible things that could have taken place the day the village was attacked. After all it was possible one of the devils may have taken her, however why hadn't any of you seen her in the mines when you were there if that was the case, never mind the fact that someone must have seen the devils taking someone if they did. Yet no one had seen anyone taken out of the village in that frantic time. Never mind the obvious that two more girls have gone missing since then as well.

To many questions, and not enough answers were surrounding this mystery. And so you head to the first place she was heading that night in the hopes of learning something, the Spiteful Dryad. As you enter the old establishment Bathelmous greets you from behind the bar thinking this was simply another one of your social visits you and Jonas did quite often. As you look around the small establishment you note that while early there are a few people already here, mostly drinking some ale, but a few were gathered in groups talking to themselves. Their is also that group of women you saw the other day before leaving the village, though looking you note that there is a third you had not meet the day the devils attacked.

11. - Top - End - #401

"Hey, Bathelmous," Hadrian says as he approaches. "I'm investigating the disappearances in town. I can't stay long, but would you be able to answer a few questions?"
    As he does this, he keeps an eye on the others in the tavern to see if any react to his questions or purpose. Aleron had said that the group of women were new, he would have to talk with them afterwards.
    Spoiler: Questions
    Show

1: Hazel was heading here on the night she vanished, did you see her that night?
    2: Has anyone you have seen Hazel with been acting weird? Has the people she's often with changed?
    3: How often did you see the other two here.
    4: Is there any connection between them that you know?

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

Abben looks around, seeing where the devil had popped off to. He charges into action, bringing his guisarme into a crushing blow aimed at his foe.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charge.
    Atk: (1d20+11)[29]
    Damage: (2d4+7)[12]

If 10 dmg, Trip: (1d20+13)[26]

If tripped, Atk: (1d20+11)[14]
    Damage: (2d4+7)[12]
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

13. - Top - End - #403

Madclaw and Blue both close the gap following Abben's charge, hoping that the devil does not teleport away again and escape their grasp.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    It is said that when warriors are close to death that their bodies fight with a keener mind, and as Abben charges the devil it is clear that it will not survive the onslaught as the mighty warriors guisarme slashes out, cutting the straps that hold the devil up to the wooden cross. As it falls the few feet to the ground another quick movement separates the creatures head from its torso.

With the battle finally over the two of you are clearly wounded. If this was watching the road no doubt the traders had not made it very far given how it almost killed the three of you on its own. Which begs the question of what is it? It is not something you saw at the mines, and it is clearly not a natural creature of this plane but a devil. There are many mysterys surrounding this creature and how it got their however not many answers as you can clearly see the wagon was not stopped here. So what to do now, continue on following the tracks, or head back to town with the body of this thing for the others to inspect?

Spoiler
    Show
    675exp each for this encounter

15. - Top - End - #405

"We have yet to find evidence of the traders," Madclaw says. "Though I am quite certain they have encountered devils like this one, and likely not survived, I fear that without adequate proof, concrete evidence, the others will not be convinced. Let us press onward, with your consent." Confident his brother will support him, Madclaw loots the devil's corpse, then continues up the road pursuing the traders' wagons.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

Lead the way! Abben says cheerfully.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jonas considers the man's words carefully.

"I would be the last person to suggest you act for the good of humanity at large," Jonas concedes. "But I see from your words you recognise that it is not yet safe to travel. In the meantime, your interests lie in securing the best possible defence for yourselves. Doubtless you will also consider the long term return on your investment, if you protect your customers and so ensure future trade with them.

"If in principle you are willing to let the villagers have discounted access to the weapons, what is the best price you can agree?"

Once he has heard the answer, Jonas explains he needs to put it to the mayor, then proceeds to do so.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    As both brothers agree that without proof of the other traders having been attacked by devils besides the attack they themselves just fought, that the rest of the traders would no doubt leave the village and risk it on the road they continue along the path. Heading west after a quick search of the immediate area turns up no treasure of any kind. It is clear that this devil was not able to move besides how it seemed to teleport around as it had no legs, and given how its arms were strapped it no doubt could have even collected any if it wanted to.

And so as dusk begins to fall you make camp after walking another five hours. Since the incident earlier nothing else has happened, which is odd after all normally when someone leaves a rearguard or vanguard it is to warn others, and that scream the devil let out was loud. The tracks continue to go on down the road, no end in sight, however if you do not stop soon night will be upon you and you won’t be able to find a sturdy and secure camp. Besides you had covered a great 18 miles total in a single day, given you were tracking something, and fought a devil that is quite impressive given how late you started.

Given how used to being in the woods you two have become, the three of you find shelter in a small little cut out of a rock. It is not the best of shelter, however with a little work from Blue digging, it is enough to protect you from the weather should it turn bad.

Spoiler: Hardain
    Show
    “I don’t see why no, don’t know how much help I will be though.” The old barkeep says as he walks over to where you are and takes a seat to listen to your questions. However you do note a few people look up as you say you are looking into the cases, after all this was a small town. Something like this was rather big news.

“I don’t remember seeing Hazel that night, than again with all those blasted things around the village attacking, and one of the dwarves bleeding out on my floor I wasn’t really paying much attention to who was coming in and out of here. Sorry Hardian.” Bathelmous says waiting for your second question, hoping he could be a bit more help with this one.

“Well the traders are acting weird, refusing to help us even though we are all in the same boat with these bloody beasts. Hazel often went to talk to them and listen to tales of the outside world, I couldn’t really tell you, the whole entire town has been a mess since the attack, and with the disappearances and food going missing hasn’t helped any. Though word on the grape vine is that your friend Madclaw got himself a wolf, I heard it was a wolf stealing the livestock if you know what I mean.”

“I didn’t see Elizabeth in here that often, to my knowledge she only really left her masters house when she was off getting something. As for Kerri she came in from time to time. Mostly to spend time with the trader she was going to marry. After all can’t be alone if you know what I mean, the Spiteful Dryad was an easy place for both of them to meet and talk alone while still being around others. I believe her and Hazel often talked, though about what I have no idea.”

“Well Hazel and Kerri were both born in the town. And Hazel and Elizabeth both had some talent when it came to the arts. Besides them all being woman though I don’t know anything they all shared in common.”

Show
    “As I said before the best price you will get out of us is 75% the items original cost in question, any less and we won’t even be making back what it cost to make any of the items.” The lead trader explains to you, though something about his smile seems off to you.

Spoiler: Sense motives DC 15
    Show
    As you listen to the mans words you note that he seems to be grinning as he speaks, almost as if he were not being fully honest with you about how much of a profit they would be losing.

“As for protecting my customers, if my customers do not protect us they will have no trade acess to the outside world. How many traders besides those that left and ourselves do you know of that come this far out of civilized lands?” he counters, making it clear that while he needs the customers to make a coin, they need him for items they cannot normally get on their own given how isolated the village is.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jonas notes the lie about profit margins, but lets it pass without comment, mentally filing it away for later.

"That it is in the villagers' interests to protect you, I quite agree. That they should pay you for the privilege, however, is dubious. Still, I will take instructions."

Bowing, he takes his leave of them and rejoins the mayor.

"They've offered a 25% discount on the weapons, on the basis of a shared defence. Now, I think we can come to a better arrangement than that, but for now: how many weapons do you need to outfit the village? And what can you afford to pay for them?"

20. - Top - End - #410

Hadrian sighs softly, he wasn't any closer to finding out what happened.
    "Thanks, that confirms that she never got here. I'm going to ask around here for a while, see if anyone here saw her."
    He stands up and looks around the tavern.
    "Well I guess the only question I need to ask all of you is did you see any of the girls last night?" he says to those inside. "Or if you have seen anything strange about their behaviour."

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    “They are paying for the weapons they use to protect us, not paying to protect us. I am a business man for sure, but I am not saying we will not help the village fight if they buy weapons from us. Though a lot less of us will I suspect because we would be selling our weapons to you.” The leader says pointing to the three daggers strapped to his chest, along with the longsword in his hand. “It is easy to carry so many weapons at the moment because no one has bought any. Do you think the town will leave us so many fine blades that everyone of us will be able to defend ourselves as we do now? You look like a smart man and I suspect you will come to agree that those in our band who won’t have a weapon, mostly women and children I suspect, should be in a much safer place, protected from anything coming through the doors of this village.”

As you agree to go talk to the Mayor the trader bows to you, however it is clear none of them are moving suspecting you won’t be gone long at all, or not trusting you to not try and sneak in who knows. However as you reach the Mayor and Logan and explain the situation they both let what you say sink in, it is the Mayor who begins to speak first however. “If you think you can get a better deal than that I suspect you should try. As for how many weapons we would need, I would have to call a town meeting to get an exact headcount. I suspect at least given what we were able to buy of Adin, twelve weapons for close quarters, and another twelve for those who favor ranged, as well as the arrows that go with it, never mind armor. “ The Mayor Responds looking to Logan about money. “If everyone pooled their money together we may be able to raise enough for the weapons. And I say that lightly. I know I have a stash I have been saving up for a while, planned on having Adin make me a new axe, but this is to protect our home.” Logan says with a sigh at the thought of spending most of the money he had saved up all these years to buy weapons because of this invasion. “It’s to bad no one knows how to use those pitchfork like weapons those devils that attacked us the other day had. We could have used them and saved some money.”

Show
    As you ask the tavern if any of them saw the girls last night all of them shake their head. That’s when a local drunk from the corner speaks up, clearly drunk per the norm. “I saw ta ittle one. She be walking around with someone she was. Saw it with me own two eyes, big fellow to.” The drunk says, slurring his words as he speaks.

"Sure you did, just like you saw Martha walking around two days prior even though she has been dead for more than ten years."

"Or how you saw a demon chasing you through the town a week back. Don't listen to him boy, hes been a drunk ever since his wife died." The villagers chime in after the drunk, warning you not to believe him, and judging by the smell coming off of him its probably true that he didn't see anything.

22. - Top - End - #412

"I'm afraid I have to treat his words seriously," Hadrian says. "I can't ignore any clue."
    "Where did you see this?" he asks the drunk. "And do you have any idea who the man was?"
    Hadrian then asks for a description of the man. "How big exactly? What was he wearing? Did he have any unusual features?"

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jonas almost slaps himself on the head for being an idiot. Thankfully he manages to restrain himself.

"How many of the tridents - the pitchforks - do you have? Perhaps we can convince the traders to take them in lieu of some or all of the payment. Surely there must be a market for such things."

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

Abben settled in for the night, content with how far they traveled in the day.

He looked over to Blue and his brother and offered to awaken early to watch over the third shift
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415

Madclaw nods his assent to Abben's plan, taking the first shift.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    As you explain to everyone you have to listen to the drunk, after all he is the closet thing that you have gotten to a real clue, they all wave at you, as if saying we warned you before going back to their own things. “I saw them when I was walking home last night, after someone told me I had to leave.” He says looking at Bathelmous. “Didn’t look like anyone I knew though, had a cloak on they did.” The drunk says before getting an idea. “If you want me to tell you more its going to cost you a beer.” He says with a grin, after all why help someone for free, when you could get a drink out of it.

Show

“Oh I am sure there is a market for weapons to large to be wielded by mortal men, it’s just not in this town.” The Mayor says which Logan agrees to. ”If I had to guess we have at least 6 of them might be a few more lying around in someones house as a trophy.” Logan says hoping that would be enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    As the two of you agree to split the watch for the night, after all with demon’s in the woods it wasn’t as safe as it used to be, the two of you quickly settle in before Abben passes out, offering to take the morning shift. Madclaw as you take the first watch you notice Blue seems to understand what you are trying to do as he often goes out to patrol the premiter, or nudge you when your eyes close for a minute or two. All seems quite however.
    Spot and listen check please for Madclaw and Blue

27. - Top - End - #417

Spoiler
    Show
    MS: (1d20+2)[8]
    ML: (1d20+2)[8]

BS: (1d20+3)[4]
    BL: (1d20+3)[14]
    Last edited by esorscher; 2017-07-16 at 08:38 AM.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jonas returns to the traders.

"I believe we will be able to do business, but the price is still steep. As you know, this is not an affluent community, and the loss of the mines will hit their economy hard. If we are all to survive, some concessions will be necessary.

"Let me lay out first what we are seeking. We have need of a dozen simple melee weapons, a dozen ranged weapons with ammunition, and two dozen suits of armour.

"For instance, a dozen short spears, a dozen light crossbows with fifty bolts each, a dozen suits of leather armour for the bowmen, and a dozen of scale mail for the spearmen. On the open market, bought individually, those items would come to... what, eleven hundred gold? So far you have offered to discount that by a quarter - what's that, about 800 I think?

"Now, we are making real progress here. There are many things on which we are agreed: that it is in everyone's interest to pool our resources in a shared defence; that you have more weapons than fighting fit bodies to wield them, while our villagers face the opposite problem; that it would be as well if your non-combatants did not have to be on the front lines, ceding that role to our villagers.

"You fear - prudently, responsibly - that by giving the weapons away you will cause your own financial ruin. Survival is essential; solvency, only marginally less so.

"Now, how are we to achieve both ends?

"Firstly, the villagers tell me that they have captured half a dozen of the tridents wielded by the attackers. Doubtless you saw them yourselves. They would do more to help your solvency than our shared survival, I think. So I propose to exchange tridents for your other goods, like for like, on a full market value basis.

"With a combination of the tridents and whatever savings they can muster, the villagers might be able to stretch to 600. Which, given all I have said so far, I urge you to accept."

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+13)[14]

29. - Top - End - #419

"I'm sorry, but I cannot support your vice, neither can I accept that you require payment to give information about a missing person," Hadrian says. Presuming the drunk had nothing else to say, he approaches the table of women.
    "You haven't been in this town for long," he says, "And Hazel liked to talk to those passing through, traders and the like. I was wondering wheter she had spoken to you."

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Madclaw
    Show
    As you and Blue take the first watch the night goes by very uneventful, sure the normal sounds that accompany a forest are not as loud as normal, but besides that nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. And so as the end of your shift arrives you go to wake your brother up so you can get a few hours of sleep before dawn.

Spoiler: Abben
    Show

While sleeping may have been good while it lasted, it sadly didn’t seem to last long enough, at least to you as your brother wakes you up for your half of the shift. Being informed that the woods were quite, yet nothing so far had been amiss, Madclaw goes to crash.

Spot and Listen for Abben

Show
    “I could see the spears, and armor, however if we give you the ranged weapons like crossbows that would mean us fine traders would have to give our own lives in melee, and not all of us are young and good with any kind of melee weapon, sure we have plenty of crossbows, look around you, each man in our caravan is carrying one. But I doubt they will part with them so easily, and given the discount we are already giving, no I don’t think they will agree to such a thing.” The trader says sensing the tiniest crack in your negotiating skills and using it to his advantage. “Why don’t we see these trident things before we go any further. If it is a practical weapon I see no problem with a simple exchange of a spear for one of these items. However if it takes someone trained in how to use such an item I would have to say 1 spear for every two of these, after all finding a buyer for an exotic weapon is much harder than a standard sword.”

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    That natural 1 really killed you there.

Show
    “We warned you all he wanted was your gold for another drink, doubt he even saw anything.” One of the villagers calls out from their table. “What you accept and what I accept are two different things. Why should I accept a trade that has no importance to me when you are getting something you want?” the drunk says cheerfully as he shakes his glass that is empty, as if to say fill me up.

As you approach the table the female strangers are sitting at two of them stand up, hands on their elagently crafted swords. “I suggest you don’t come any closer. All the men in this village think because they see something they like they can grab it.” The one who remains sitting down, the singer from the day before, says to you from her chair, before listing to what you have to say. “Well there was a girl who kept asking questions after my performance I believe, or possibly before. Hard to tell with how little sleep we have been getting. Didn’t ask for a name though, given how many children are missing though I feel bad that I didn’t.” She says getting up from her seat and walking over to the drunk for a moment.

You watch as she wraps an arm around his shoulder and begin whispering into his ear as she slides two coins onto the table. A few moments later she returns, “The drunk says the man walked with a limp, and his entire body seemed to constantly be hidden under his cloak. What I find interesting is he says while this girl he saw walking with the man was talking, and asking questions, it never seem the other person spoke, though they must have given the sort of questions she was asking. I believe the one he said that stuck out most was “Is it time to go home?” or something like that, hard to tell with drunks. Just happy he didn’t try to get a little more touchy. Hope this helps you find the girls, and if we find them when we leave the village on our way to the big city we will make sure they make it back safely.”