New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Devil's in the details (So I hope you read the fine print)

Slamming your quaterstaff down upon the beastile like creature before you you hear the sound of breaking bones before watching the creature take its last breath, blood dripping from its lips as its sides become caved in upon themselves leaving only the unconscious beast from earlier on this side of the field. And so you tell your brother to go help the others for it seems their battle is not going as well as your own.

Spoiler: Map & Initiative
    Show

Map

Mob
    Enemy 2
    Logan
    Madclaw
    Enemy 3 (10 Damage, Unconscious) 3 rounds
    Hadrian
    Jonas
    Abben

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hadrian knew he had to act fast before more people died. Moving to get a clear line of sight on the last threat, he quickly hurled a psionic bullet toward the monster.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Hit: (1d20-1)[8]
    Being next to the lumberjack means it is in melee I think, so I put the -4 into the roll
    damage: (1d4+1)[4]
    Edit: Forgot to mention moving north/up to get a clear line of sight
    Last edited by Timble; 2016-09-09 at 06:21 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Only if Enemy 2 is still conscious
    Show
    The young mage breaks out into a cold sweat as he realises how lucky he was not to hit one of the lumberjacks with his last spell. Jonas selects a more precise evocation from those whirling in his thoughts, and with a string of words and a precise gesture, he makes that spell manifest in the world as a dart of brilliant blue light. It is a weapon of pure force, and it soars unerringly across the field of battle, swerving to avoid striking allies before hitting the foul devil that was Hadrian's target.

Show
    Magic Missile on Enemy 2 for (1d4+1)[3] force damage.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Abben and Madclaw had finished off those demons in front of them, and he took that time to make sure they were prepared for what might happen next. I... I think I have heard of these creatures before... and I think something I have heard about them is that they might be the first strike... More may be headed our way, I dont know if we can abandon our position yet. What do you think? Abben said plainly as he used his blessed power to close his brother's wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Converting Divine Favor into CLW: (1d8+1)[3]

Abben still has a move action that I am saving for after Madclaw responds to his statements.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Hadrian wanting your odds to be the best they could to hit this fiend, you move a little closer as you rear your sling back and fire. You watch as your magical bullet flies from your sling and falls short of reaching your target. At least next time perhaps you would be able to use this one to judge the strength you would need to use to hit the creature.

Just then a blue ball of light seems to come into existence seemingly made of pure force, said to be the most powerful kind of magic in the known world. And with a simple command you let the ball of light go, it knowing who its target was and acting on your command as it slams into the Herlekin's back making it move slightly from the force of being pushed forward but not much else.

On the other side of the battlefield Abben sees to his brothers wounds, telling his brother what he knows about these creatures and asking if they should wait at this entrance to see if more would arrive, or go help the others. As you debate this, you watch as your last two friends from the logging business attack the creature from both sides, trying to get a clear advantage over the beast however both of your friends miss. Though their attacks almost seemed able to land a blow on the creature.

Senseing the danger it would be in if any others joined in surrounding him the creature used the butt of its weapon to attack the enemy behind him, however at the last second the Herlekin reverses its grip on the fork like weapon, thrusting forward into the attacker south of him, as the two prongs come out the other side of the body you all can see the grievous wound dealt by this creature killing another of the logging crew.

Logan once more seeing one of his friends cut down so easily steps over his friends body as he brings his axe down on the beast, cutting into its flesh. It is not the deepest wound, but thanks to Jonas's earlier attack it seems to be starting to run out of energy to fight.

Show

Map

LumberJack 4
    Enemy 2 (7 Damage)
    Logan
    Madclaw
    Enemy 3 (10 Damage, Unconscious) 2 rounds
    Hadrian
    Jonas
    Abben

Spoiler: @ilinares
    Show
    So you have an idea of the map

20ft directly in front of you is logan, above him is the enemy, and above the enemy is the last lumberjack.
    5' to your NE is Hadrian
    60' East is Abben
    65'East and 5'south is Madclaw with Enemy 3 unconscious 5ft infront of him.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Madclaw moves forward, brandishing his weapon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Double move 60' toward Logan and the enemies.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

7. - Top - End - #37

Taking a moment to focus, Hadrian launches another bullet toward the foe.
    Show

Move action to gain focus:
    (1d20+6)[17]
    Sling:
    (1d20-1)[5] Hit Chance
    (1d4+1)[2] Damage

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Focusing on his instinctive well of power, Jonas sends out a magical assault against the devil's mind, pitting his will against that of the Outsider.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Thanks for the description! Casting Whelm. Will save DC 15 or takes (1d6)[1] nonlethal damage.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

@Madclaw As you turn back to see that most of the people you have called friends for a good portion of your life have been cut down to size by this monster you leave the one you knocked unconcious behind as you race forward towards Logan and Ben hoping you can at least spare their lives. "Look Ben, this devil doesn't stand a chance now." Logan shouts out as he sees you rushing to their aid.

@Hadrian In the din of battle it is said only masters are able to still their mind to a perfect focus, and as it has been proven throughout the day you have not yet come to that mastery yet. However there was still a chance for you to be able to aid Logan and Ben as you once more take aim, making sure to not hit your allies as you let the magic infused stone fly. The attack still misses, but this time it seems to have been a bit to high. Next time for sure you will be able to hit the beast.

@Jonas With so many allies close to this creature it was not worth the risk of using one of your more powerful spells for it was clear the brute was able to take a physical attack. But what about a mental one? And so you reach out with your mind looking for that of the Herlekins. Instantly stranges images pop into your head of women, all looking at you standing in a summoning circle of sorts. That's when you feel yourself ejected from the creatures mind, however not before doing a crucial blow to its mind.

Show
    Because of the effect it is under right now it actually only failed by 1 so I wanted to show the struggle of it trying to push you out of its mind, plus you only did 1 damage.

Also the only change to the map is Madclaw being 5ft South East of you now.

Show

Map

LumberJack 4
    Enemy 2 (8 Damage)
    Logan
    Madclaw
    Enemy 3 (10 Damage, Unconscious) 2 rounds
    Hadrian
    Jonas
    Abben (Don't forget still have your move from last turn)

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Abben is not happy with how many of his friends have been taken down on the other side of the street by these demons. He gathers a burst of energy and sprints into action, hoping that he doesnt arrive too late. Charging at the enemy, he attempts to hook his ankles to send him to the floor.

Spoiler
    Show

Touch Attack: (1d20+9)[10]
    Trip Attempt: (1d20+13)[30]
    Conditional attack: (1d20+9)[26]
    Damage: (2d4+7)[12]
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

@Abben The spirit of the wolf once told you that all wolves considered certain people part of their pack and would do anything to protect them. And so it is proven true as you have had enough with the Herlekin on the other side that had been doing nothing but killing your friends. You would show this creature why nothing ever hunted a pack of wolves.

Chargining towards the beast you level your galive like a spear making it seem like you intend to impale it, however as you rush past Jonas it seems the two of you barely have enough time to move which upsets your balance. Thankfully the speed at which you are traveling saves you, as gravity dose the work when the hook like blade of the galive finds the back of the beasts goat like legs. As the creature falls Logan and Ben each hack into the creatures hard flesh as your galive makes a clean cut up the beasts legs. The effect of all of your attacks killing it.

Show
    Being tripped and falling prone I believe count as AoO if you have adjacent enemies. He had two, and while your attack finished him off I thought it would be nice to show Ben and Logan getting their revenge with you.

"There's still one more living." Logan points out looking back to where Madclaw and Abben had come from. It didn't seem to have moved since its encounter with Madclaw, however there seemed to be a rhythm to its breathing, something the two lumberjacks planned to change as they began walking over.

Show

Map

LumberJack 4
    Logan
    Madclaw
    Enemy 3 (10 Damage, Unconscious) 1 round
    Hadrian
    Jonas
    Abben
    (Don't forget still have your move from last turn)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Get your fill, hack him to pieces if you care to, Abben says ruthlessly, looking at the survivors to try and judge their wounds.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

As you look over Ben and Logan to check for wounds you notice neither one of them bare a single scratch. What the hell had happened then that the others had fallen so easily yet these two stood like nothing had happened to them. Sure they both had blood on them, from friend and foe alike, but neither of them had suffered a single wound. No wounder Herlekins were considered the shock troopers to be sent in after Lemure if what the wolf spirit told you is true.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jonas shrugs, leaving it to the lumberjacks to claim their revenge. If the enemy had been mortal, he might suggest taking it prisoner, interrogating it; against a devil, however, such tactics would prove fruitless.

Instead, he simply waits, ready to step in if needed.

Show
    Delaying my turn.

15. - Top - End - #45

"Be quick and merciful," Hadrian calls to them. "We still need to make sure no more are nearby and if there are any survivors at the mines"
    With no obvious threat insight, he moves closer to the gate to check outside. As he walks he once again tries to focus himself, it would certainly be useful.
    Show

Focus:
    (1d20+6)[21]
    Hooray! Finally a successful roll.
    Last edited by Timble; 2016-09-11 at 02:02 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Madclaw stands over the prone demon for a few moments, studying it carefully, then, suddenly and swiftly strikes it in the temple with his quarterstaff, ending its existence. "I have no knowledge of such otherworldly things, but perhaps someone else would know. Logan, if you can find someone in town with knowledge of things, please, bring them here to identify it. Either way, alert the community elders, such as they are, and round up anyone who can fight. There may be more of these things coming, and the mines need our help as well." He follows Hadrian in that direction.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jonas falls into step behind Madclaw.

"They're devils known as herlekin," he says softly. "Rank and file soldiers of the Nine Hells, if I remember my studies correctly. Brutes bred for battle, creatures of base lusts. Numerous enough to be summoned to this plane fairly frequently. But that suggests, doesn't it, the existence of a summoner? Hardly something I would expect of this backwater village."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

I recall something about them being advance troops, so they could be only the start. Might be that the attack on the mines was to draw us out?
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49

"Should we check on the dwarf?" Hadrian asked. "We need to know how much danger the village is in."

20. - Top - End - #50

"We need to do something, but we don't need to do it all together. I'm going to the mines to see what I can see. I'd prefer all the help I can get, but if you feel like your place is better served elsewhere, I'll understand. But I think we can trust Logan to deal with some things for us. That said, I don't want to walk into a trap," he nods at Abben's remark. "but I don't want to delay, either. We should be careful on our approach. And I could use a bit of healing," he says.

Show
    If I could get a lesser vigor or a CLW that'd be great.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2016-09-11 at 05:24 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Jonas not having any close bonds to the lumberjacks you step aside allowing Abben, Ben, Logan, and Madclaw to encircle the lone remaining Herlekin still unconscious form its last assault. It is the brute strength of Madclaw however as he uses both hands to lift his quarterstaff high into the air, before slamming it down into the creatures skull. The sound of cracking bones can be heard as the wooden staff makes contact with the Herlekin’s temple and you must wonder If it was not better for the creature to perish in this manner than suffering a blow like that while wide awake. One thing is for sure however, the strength of Madclaw was strong then the skull of a devil.

Hadrian calling out for the others to at least show some kind of mercy to the beast that had attacked and slaughtered at least five people you know of, with a sixth in critical care inside the Spiteful Dryad you make your way over to the Northwest gate to make sure no more of these creatures could be seen on the horizon. The silence of the forest surrounding the village is a bit unsettling, however it does seem to help focus your mind as you scan the tree line, however if there are enemies outside the village they are either well-hidden or invisible to the human eye. Should you leave for the mines, they were a little over a few hours away from the village, and if there were other creatures like this patrolling out there would it really be wise to be caught outside to the village walls after dusk?

Madclaw as you bark out orders you can see people poking their heads out of their small homes all around you. Having heard battle no doubt many of them had locked their doors, but with your mighty voice booming they seem to have at least thought the danger had passed. “ I will go alert the elders, if they do not know already. Ben you mind going to try and round up a few of the guys to start watches?” Logan asks the only other remaining of your work crew. He seems shaken, however after a moment nods. “I will see what I can do, but I don’t know who will come. Most of us lumberjacks are the strongest people here. I mean the town guard will help, and maybe the smith…” Ben trails off understanding that this wasn’t the time to worry about who would say no. “ I will be back as soon as I can.” And with that he runs off.

And so as Madclaw begins to follow after Hadrian, Jonas falls into line behind him, and as the group comes together begins to explain what he knows about the creatures which attacked the village. Herlekins as he and Abben called them, the adopted brother of Madclaw adding his own information. So many questions left unanswered by this attack. And no doubt there would not be a way to learn the true answer about what was happening until you all got to the mines, unless of course that was all a ploy and it was the village that was the target.

Just then a woman in strange orange clothing steps out of the Spiteful Dryad, her skin a bronze like color, no doubt from being under the sun day in and day out. Her wavy hair falling to her shoulders, and two scimitars strapped to her hips by a silk looking material. “My sister told me there was trouble outside?” came the woman’s voice looking around, her right hand resting against the pommel of her scimitar, while the other was arced on her hip. “It seems however I am too late to help.” She points out looking at the dead body of the Herlekin that had its skull dented in by Madclaw.

"The name is Hayal by the way." the woman says, her voice coming out like honey even though only her eyes were able to be seen under the thin material she seemed to wear that covered from her nose down to her neck. Giving only a faint outline of what could be beneath the simple peace of attire.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jonas glances at the new arrival, then does a double-take, eyes speculative. "I'm sure you'll have chance enough to wet those blades, my lady. I, for one, welcome all the fighters we can get."

Particularly one so easy on the eyes,
    he adds inwardly. A few seconds later, his brain catches up to the unintended double entendre of his words; turning to the darkness outside to hide his blush, which would hardly add to his charming persona, he speaks quietly to his friends.

"If you don't mean to go after them this night, I will rest and ready my spells for the morrow. I dislike the thought of leaving the survivors to these creatures' nonexistent mercies, but the thought of being messily murdered because we rushed off blindly appeals even less.

"They come again, call me: I've spells enough to face another fight. But I'll be better able to aid you tomorrow if I don't stand a watch."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

I would never abandon you, brother. If you go to the mines, I will be right there with you. But I fear we go off to find only enemies with not one left to save, seeing that the one who ran off to warn us looked half-dead when he arrived. Anyone else choose to come with?
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jonas holds up a placating hand. "Don't misunderstand me: if you do wish to pursue them tonight, I will join you, and do all in my power to ensure your success. I mean only that our chances of avenging the miners will be greater in daylight."

25. - Top - End - #55

"I want to gather information about our enemy. If we arrive at the mine and it is deserted, we can examine the remains of the battlefield. If it is occupied, we should know that, too. I have no intention of getting into more combat, tonight." He looks at the woman, unimpressed by her formless charms, lacking the most attractive of female qualities, hard shale-like growths on her skin, and entirely too soft for his preference. With no attraction felt on his part, he can treat her as he would any other person. "You can accompany us, at your own risk, if you are stealthy enough."
    Last edited by esorscher; 2016-09-12 at 07:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

"With demons on the prowl, we would be glad for your help," Hadrian says to Hayal. "Do you have any powers or abilities to use besided your weapons.
    Jonas had acted with a wisdom of sorts in asking to stay behind.
    "We need to check the mines but also keep the village safe. We should all consider which option we are more suited for before acting. For example, I don't have a lot of power to throw at things but can probably deal some damage up close. I can stay behind or go on ahead. I won't let my desire to help the mines leave the village undefended nor will I let any group that leaves to be undermanned."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

“My Sister told me many of the men among you were quick to speak.” Hayal commented catching on all too easy to what Jonas had said, versus what he may have meant. “As for going with you, I did not say such a thing. While I and my sisters do not mind fighting when we have to alongside men, we rather work only with each other. Less likely for a problem to arise that way and no one can get funny ideas.” She adds looking directly at the mage as she says this last part. “Besides we are travelers simply passing through trying to earn a few coins. Why should we worry about the people in the mine? They are not here paying us, so I see no reason to go to them. Now if the town would like to pay us to help them stay safe that is another matter.” She says, yawning as if bored by this entire conversation.

As talk of leaving the village to head for the mine is being spoken about many good points are brought up, including the one that Madclaw points out, that he only wished to gain information on their new enemy. However with darkness approaching heading to the mines and not being seen was not likely as most in the group could not see in the dark, and thus would have to carry a light source, unlike the foe the foe you just fought which like most devils could see perfectly in the dark.

“A Lady never reveals her tricks until they are needed. That way when someone tries something they should not they do not see what lies in store for them. Besides the imagination is such a wonderful thing, it would be a shame to waste it.” She says with a hint of amusement at Hadrian’s question.

And so knowing that should the sisters, only two of which you have seen so far, were paid they would be willing to help protect the village, and Logan getting the elders, while Ben goes door to door trying to get people to help defend the village it left only one question. What was it the four of you would do? Would you venture off into the forest in the hopes of reaching the mines before darkness set in and you would have to light your torches, thus giving away where you were. Or would you get a good nights rest and investigate the mines first thing in the morning?

28. - Top - End - #58

"I can see in the dark. I will go investigate the mines, alone, if necessary."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"What kind of mage would I be if I couldn't see in the dark, should the need arise?" Jonas retorts, smiling disarmingly. "You will not be alone, my friend."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd prefer to fight with my eyes closed, anyway. Makes it more of a sport. Abben says gleefully. He looks to the sky to take note of the cloud coverage and direction of the wind. He takes a deep breath of crisp air and says - Well, it is decided then. Let's be on with it. Abben says, heading off with purpose.

Spoiler
    Show
    survival roll: DC 15 to predict 24 hours worth of weather. I want to guess what the cloud coverage will be by the time we get to the mines.

(1d20+9)[21]
    EDIT: Looks like I know TWO days of weather. Beat that, Al Roker!
    Last edited by gallagher; 2016-09-13 at 06:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show