New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Devil's in the details (So I hope you read the fine print)

Once the others have caught up, Madclaw moves forward to the fork in the hallway.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Just so everyone is aware I am going to assume everyone is using either the double move or run action for this round as its 75ft so far moved since the end of the fight. Just let me know which you want to do so I have an idea of how many more feet you can move before your total is up for a round.

As Madclaw moves to the end of the corridor with the rest of the party the group looks around his wide shoulders to see a short corridor, clearly this had to be close to the cave entrance because the stone work was rougher here then in other parts of the mine. Directly infront of Madclaw seems to be a wooden door, it seems strong and sturdy so far as doors go, but thats about it.

The stone passageway to the right of the Goliath warrior seems to turn left at the end of 20 short feet, however it can not go far given the fact you had just come from that direction a few moments ago. What to do now, try the door madclaw was standing in front of, or keep going on further into the mine?

Map

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jonas produces his entirely legitimate and unsuspicious locksmith's tools. He searches the door briskly to check it isn't trapped, then (provided he finds nothing) checks if it is locked. If it is he then attempts to open the lock.

Show
    Search (1d20+9)[10]
    Open lock (1d20+7)[9]

As implied above, disregard open lock attempt if he finds a trap. I'll then roll disable device instead.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Jonas as you search the door for any sign of traps, you are pleasantly surprised to see that it is not only free of traps, but also seems to be unlocked. All it would take is to turn the nob and open the door.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Inspired by Madclaw's brash charge, and conscious they have little time for debates, Jonas throws open the door and ducks quickly out of the way.

6. - Top - End - #186

Madclaw burst through the door brandishing his quarterstaff as soon as Jonas steps aside, smiling at their synchronicity of thinking.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hadrian followed after them, making sure to stick near Jonas.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

As our four young heroes rush into the room four of the solider devils turn to look at those who had entered their quaters. The bodies of dead dwarves were all over this room, and an unnatural cold seemed to penetrate the otherwise normal room.

Spoiler: Important
    Show

Map

Jonas 22
    Madclaw 21
    Abben 19
    Hadrian 18

Herlekins

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jonas starts casting the intricate sleep spell, careful to keep out of his allies' way.

10. - Top - End - #190

Madclaw pounces on the nearest devil with his quarterstaff, repeating the tactic which has worked so well previously.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+6)[7], (1d8+4)[7]; (1d20+6)[21], (1d8+4)[11], AC 14 until next round.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

After Jonas casts his spell, Abben shifts between Jonas and Hadrian to attack up front with his brother. Swinging at the knees of the enemy next to Madclaw's target, Abben attacks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Power attack for 1
    Attack: (1d20+6)[10]
    Damage: (2d4+9)[16]
    Potential Crit confirm and damage: (1d20+6)[12] (2d4+9)[17] (2d4+9)[16]

Trip Touch Attack (with power attack accounted for): (1d20+6)[21]
    Trip check: (1d20+13)[24]

Attack: (1d20+6)[17]
    Damage: (2d4+9)[13]
    Potential Crit confirm and damage: (1d20+6)[14] (2d4+9)[13] (2d4+9)[14]
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

12. - Top - End - #192

Hadrian takes this moment to prepare, breathing in and focusing. He readies himself to defend.
    Show

Focus: (1d20+7)[20]
    Readying an attack against any monster that moves to attack him or Jonas that comes in range.
    (1d20+3)[15]
    (1d6)[6]
    if he finds focus (20) he spends it to do further psionic damage
    (2d6)[8]
    Will five foot step if necessary to defend Jonas.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Jonas as you begin to take the time to cast the powerful sleep spell, you step aside so that your allies may defend you while you work. This spell required much concentration and even the littlest disturbance could disturb it from being cast. From your spot you watch as MAdclaw steps foward to meet the enemy at the table before him, however his staff that has been soaked in blood after these many fights seems to slip from his hands. The goliath's luck has failed him it seems, you can only hope your allies do not have the same ill luck.

Spoiler: @Ethan
    Show
    As critical fumbles go you had a rather normal one, dropping your weapon. Also you can not charge a 5ft. step so I believe your Ac should be normal if that is any prize.

Abben as you step foward to help your brother, and try and buy him time to pick up his weapon you swing your chain out, trying to wrap it around the devil's legs. However it seems these Herlekin are either well versed in being attacked by such weapons, or have been alerted to your fighting style as it steps on your chain, stopping its momentum before pulling its hoof back before you can harm it further.

Hadrian from the background you have watched most of these fights as the two warrior like brothers have made short work of these enemies, sure your ability to doge the blows of your enemies has been impressive, but it was still second to the raw power these two brought to the table. However as you know all to well luck can only last for so long, and as you watch the two brothers fail you focus your mind on proving beyoung a doubt that you are not to be underestimated. And rushing foward you lead with a flurry of blows so fast the devil soon loses sight of your attacks, thats when your true attack comes, as you kick the military fork out of the creatures hands before slamming your fist into its throat.

The devil seems caught off guard by such an attack, and you all watch with an amused look as the creature tries its hardest to breath for a few moments before passing out very much dead. From the corner of all of your eyes you notice a hairy human like hand reaching from under the table for the dropped weapon.

The three remaining devils turn to look at their fallen brother, before they each dig their claws into the fellow soldiers flesh, drinking in his blood. This sort of barbarism is unheard of among devils, however its effects are immediate as an effect much like Madclaws rage seems to take over them. Once finished with their share they all begin to move foward, closing the gap.

Show
    5ft. steps do not activate pounce which needs you to charge for my knowledge, and with a dropped weapon your second attack didn't matter.

Abben missed by a rather large margin, though thankfully one did die this round, once I am given the will DC I will roll for them as it will be a new round.

5ft. Steps also do not provoke attacks of opportunity, nor does their Blood Frenzy ability. So with that in mind here is the map and Round 2 has begun

Map

Jonas 22
    Madclaw 21
    Abben 19
    Hadrian 18
    Herlekins

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jonas's incantation reaches a crescendo, and he weaves his fingers through the final gestures of the spell, directing its power to where it will affect as many of the devils as possible.

Show
    Will DC 15.

The young mage then focuses his attention on any devil still awake and unengaged, sending a bolt of acid towards it.

Show
    Acid splash on the nearest devil meeting those criteria (if none, delaying instead). Will roll in OOC.
    Last edited by ilinares; 2016-11-02 at 12:32 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Abben keeps his attention on the same devil that had just dodged his attacked, and swings once more with the same amount of force.

Spoiler
    Show

Do I not get an AoO for the whole "drink some blood" bit? if not, same as before: Power attack for 1
    Attack: (1d20+6)[25]
    Damage: (2d4+9)[12]
    Potential Crit confirm and damage: (1d20+6)[26] (4d4+18)[27]

Trip Touch Attack (with power attack accounted for): (1d20+6)[7]
    Trip check: (1d20+13)[18]

Attack: (1d20+6)[9]
    Damage: (2d4+9)[16]
    Potential Crit confirm and damage: (1d20+6)[20] (4d4+18)[27]
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

As Jonas finishes his incantation, you all watch as a billowing cloud seems to try and seep into each of the devils bodies, after all even a devil needs to sleep at some point. However it does not seem that the devil's need to sleep yet as only the one in the center falls to such a spell. It is at that exact moment, as the beast begins to fall forward in its sleep that Abben thrusts his weapon forward, allowing the devil's weight to impale itself. Killing it instantly.

Show
    Only the enemy in the center failed its save and that happened to be the one Abben had attacked. Because it is unconscious it is an auto coup de grace which meant no matter what you rolled it would be dead. I really need to give these guys the boost of Ryl....

@Madclaw & Hadrian As the two of you watch a second of these hell beasts be brought down, you look at the remaining two, just waiting for you to attack. They so caught up in their own blood frenzy do not even notice their brothers death.

Map

17. - Top - End - #197

Madclaw feels his blood boil as he brings his energy to bear against his enemy.

Show
    Full attack against the nearest enemy, 5' step or pounce if necessary. If pouncing, +2 to attack, -2 AC.

(1d20+6)[12], (1d8+4)[8]; (1d20+6)[25], (1d8+4)[7]

18. - Top - End - #198

Seeing one devil fall and another being engaged, Hadrian takes a moment to focus before stepping to strike the remaining foe.
    Show

Focus: (1d20+7)[18]
    5 foot step to foe.
    Attack:
    (1d20+3)[5]
    Had forgotten strength modifier
    (1d6+2)[6]
    If focus gained (20) add this
    (2d6)[7]

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

@MAdclaw Taking a moment to pick up your quaterstaff that slipped from your hands moments ago you swing out at the devil before you. However even in its blood induced rage it seems nimble enough to dodge your incoming attack as it tries to return your attack with a jab of its own weapon.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show

Attack 13 Damage 13

@Hadrian While your first strike had been perfectly balanced, your entire body united as one, this attack is not so. As your body lashes out at the creature it continues to block your incoming attacks with its own weapon, jabbing out at you when it sees and opening.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show

Attack 22 Damage 13

@Party as you all face off against these Herlekin you are reminded of the battle back at the town and how much stronger they seemed to be after drinking even a little bit of blood. While magic is known to increase a man's strength no magical aura's seem to radiate off of these extraplanar beings, only the malice of the nine hells.

Show

No changes to map

Jonas 22
    Madclaw 21
    Abben 19
    Hadrian 18
    Herlekins

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing both Hadrian and Madclaw get attacked, Abben decided to assist Hadrian (who was, after all, less likely to be able to handle such a vicious an attack). Abben attempts once more to attack with such force that he knocks the creature to the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    Still PA for 1
    Attack: (1d20+6)[13]
    Potential Crit confirm and damage: (1d20+6)[14] [roll]4d4+18/roll]

Trip Touch Attack (with power attack accounted for): (1d20+6)[22]
    Trip check: (1d20+13)[30]

Attack: (1d20+6)[11]
    Potential Crit confirm and damage: (1d20+6)[7] [roll]4d4+18/roll]
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201

Badly wounded, Madclaw responds with an attack of his own, hoping to end the fight as quickly as possible.

Show
    10/36 HP, full attack: (1d20+6)[11], (1d8+4)[11]; (1d20+6)[26], (1d8+4)[6]

22. - Top - End - #202

The herlekin's blow had struck hard. Unable to focus with such a terrible injury, Hadrian struck out wildly before retreating..
    Show

Attack 1:
    (1d20+1)[3]
    (1d6+2)[7]
    Attack 2:
    (1d20+1)[13]
    (1d6+2)[7]
    five foot step away.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Had it not been for having a reach weapon Jonas would be able to move so he could use color spray, but because of 10ft. reach he would be attacked and I doubt thats what he wants saying he has seen the damage they can dish out. Also as with the critical fumble we have the critical success options, lets just say Madclaw did 22 damage and knocked it prone had it still been alive.

Abben seeing your friend hurt worst than your brother you lash out with your weapon, striking the creature in the chest, before swinging low and pulling its feet out from under it. It is your last attack as it falls that sends the beast to its grave.

With the foe he was engaged with defeated the enlightened soul steps back making sure he did not risk dying from another attack.

As Madclaw lashes out with his quaterstaff the pain of his wound flares up, thankfully he is able to regain control of his weapon before it is too late as he brings the quaterstaff down upon the creatures skull, its neck snapping as its entire head seems to drop four inches to rest against its shoulders.

It was a short battle, however the injuries are clear to all as you look around, this room seems to have been either a guard post or mess hall at some time judging by the few tables, and scraps of meat around the room. However what is most surprising is the figure, covered in blood with a thick beard braided coming out from underneath one of these tables. "Off I didn't think anyone was coming." comes the voice of the dwarf standing before you, to say he looks half dead would be an understatement as you look on, at the poor disfigured man and realize what was on the tables being eaten by the devils earlier.

Map
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2016-11-06 at 07:52 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204

The herlekin had badly wounded him, but Hadrian could still function. Someone else needed help and might be able to help them. Walking over to the dwarf, he knelt down wincing in pain.
    "Are you in much pain?" he asked with concern. "I'm not sure how much my group can provide but I can't continue here for much longer. I can escort you back to town."
    Waiting to see what help would be necessary and what the others in his party could do, he continued;
    "Before we go on, do you know where the devils came from?"
    Last edited by Timble; 2016-11-08 at 03:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205

Madclaw could use some healing, but prioritizes the dwarf's health over his own pain, which he is able to subdue through his indomitable barbarian will. "Let's get you back to town."

Spoiler: Timble
    Show
    I believe I'm red speech in this game.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Abben does a quick look over the dwarf to try and get an understanding of whether or not he would survive the trip back to the town.

Spoiler
    Show
    heal check to guess how mortal the wounds are: (1d20+3)[4]

If he is dying, I try to stabilize him with a cure minor wounds
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll live so long as we don't expect me to fight. Those bastards sure knew how to keep a man alive so they could continue to have fun." the dwarf says, rubbing where his arm used to be. "As for where they came from, yeah me and my brothers were in the tunnel when it happened actually. We had just begun to open a new tunnel to dig deeper into the mountain, given our history with the town we thought we could make a quick dollar off of all the ore we had been finding as of late. However as we got to the room we were about to start mining in we saw a middle aged human with black hair chanting in some god forsaken language over this young lass. Next thing we knew she was turned into one of these beasts and she began hunting us down. Even though she had no eyes she seemed to always know where we were hiding to, it was errie. I suspect while he had his creation doing that he summoned the rest here through some sort of magic. I never heard of such a thing however, most creatures normally go back, and my brother being a priest of the Soul Forger was caught off guard when he struck one down and it didn't return to wherever it was called from. Said it was not natural. Don;t know much of what happened after that, a lot of fighting, the few survivors that were left were mostly taken to the mine, for what I do not know. And those of us not lucky enough to go to the mine, well I am the last of them." explains the dwarf as he looks at all of you, no doubt wondering if you would even survive to get him out of the tunnel.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Guys, I hate to admit it, but maybe we need to withdraw to safety. I'm unhurt, but each of you is looking in bad shape, and our new friend here is hardly going to be able to join us in our self-appointed quest.

"The first priority should be treating our wounded. That done, we can return - with, I might add, a full compliment of devastating spells courtesy of your dashing wizard - to find this summoner and stop him."

Show
    I don't think this dwarf's story adds up. Can I get a sense motive please? (1d20+5)[22]

29. - Top - End - #209

"Yes, we can't continue like this," Hadrian said, "Let's get out of here before more show up."

30. - Top - End - #210

Madclaw nods his assent to the obviously necessary planned withdrawal. "Let's move quickly."