New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XVII: You Can't Take the Pay From Me

[When Soul Meets Body]

Raril gives Astrana a curious look. "What exactly do you mean?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Bugbear in the Playground

[When Soul Meets Body]

The tiefling smiles. "Curses are great things, while death only come in one variety, curses can be modified depending on how much the victim have angered you. You can do anything between mildly annoying them, to making them wish that you had killed them. So just how much did that attempt on your life anger you? If I could just get a small part of him, like a strain of hair, or a valued possession of your brother, I could do nearly anything to him." She explains.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-03-31 at 03:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

[When Soul Meets Body]

Raril frowns, considering what Astrana has offered. "I'll... have to think about that. Getting a piece of him wouldn't be hard, especially if I started a fight with him. I'd have to survive that, though. I don't know if I want to risk what it would take to get something he values, either. I know someone he values, but I'm not going down that road." The drow decides.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

[When Soul Meets Body]

Raril and Astrana will likely hear footsteps heading their way. Dipsnig wants to talk with Raril now that the drow's soul and body aren't in a long-distance relationship anymore.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #755

[When Soul Meets Body]

"If I were to get revenge on a person, I'd send a magpie spirit to steal something from them when I knew they weren't home. Or you could, say, spill something on his clothes, forcing him to change, then I'll take care of those dirty clothes." Astrana suggests deviously.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

[When Soul Meets Body]

"Clothes aren't very personal." Raril mumbles. He was about to say more but holds up a hand, his ears twitching slightly. "Someone's coming."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

7. - Top - End - #757

[When Soul Meets Body]

"It might be enough." Astrana argues, but falls quiet once Raril holds up his hand. Why was Raril suddenly so paranoid? It was probably just Dipsnig, or some other MERC member coming to check on them.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

[When Soul Meets Body]

And it is, indeed, the boss goblin himself.

"I thought I'd check in. Now that the out-of-body incident is behind us."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

[When Soul Meets Body]

"Dipsnig!" Raril grins broadly, pleased to see the goblin. "I am so glad your people were there when they were. Things could have been a lot worse for me, without them. I owe you all quite a bit."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

10. - Top - End - #760

[When Soul Meets Body]

Astrana nods dutifully as Dipsnig enters the room. "Sir. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

[When Soul Meets Body]

Dipsnig's ears twitch.

"I just came here to check on Raril, Astrana. Is everything okay?"

He then looks to the drow himself.

"It was fortunate, yes. But I also got word that your brother wants to talk to you. Maybe he should have tried that before sending assassins, but I get the impression your feud has gone on a while."

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

[When Soul Meets Body]

"Decades." Raril confirms. "But if he wants to talk face to face, that's fine, but it has to be on neutral ground. I'm not trekking out to that castle of his. Maybe the palace at Delmah Phor? With our sister watching, neither of us could make a big move." The drow suggests.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

13. - Top - End - #763

[When Soul Meets Body]

Astrana nods and goes to clean up her ritual circle while the other two are talking. She has nothing to add for now.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Barbarian in the Playground

[On A Mission Of MERC-See]

The sound of the engine was unpleasant to her ears, half the reason why they were flat against her head. Travel should not be this loud or this fast without, like, teleportation involved or something! Or maybe flying carpets. Either way, Alva was sitting shotgun as Victor drove. Leg room was at a premium even before having to account for about six more tails than the expected amount in these things and it was all she could do to keep from looking entirely like a slightly disgruntled ball of fluff. At least their cargo didn't have to worry about much other than what would elicit the occasional 'Slosh.'

At least she knew better than to ask 'are we there yet.' What she probably didn't know better was to ask: "So, other than going fast, can you do anything else special in these things?" because all that loud noise and sudden stopping and starting—at least, it was to her given her decided familiarity to engines with four legs that ran on hay or oats—was a decidedly unpleasant experience. Central heating, though, was something she was one hundred percent in favor of.

15. - Top - End - #765

Quote Originally Posted by Terumitsu View Post

The sound of the engine was unpleasant to her ears, half the reason why they were flat against her head. Travel should not be this loud or this fast without, like, teleportation involved or something! Or maybe flying carpets. Either way, Alva was sitting shotgun as Victor drove. Leg room was at a premium even before having to account for about six more tails than the expected amount in these things and it was all she could do to keep from looking entirely like a slightly disgruntled ball of fluff. At least their cargo didn't have to worry about much other than what would elicit the occasional 'Slosh.'

At least she knew better than to ask 'are we there yet.' What she probably didn't know better was to ask: "So, other than going fast, can you do anything else special in these things?" because all that loud noise and sudden stopping and starting—at least, it was to her given her decided familiarity to engines with four legs that ran on hay or oats—was a decidedly unpleasant experience. Central heating, though, was something she was one hundred percent in favor of.
    On A Mission of MERC-See

Victor, her equally massive and armor-clad compatriot and driver, laughs uproariously at Alva's question. Her state during the trip from Riverside to the mountains of mercness has been a source of consistent amusement, and the normally formal, well-spoken and wry man has been far more boistrous behind the wheel of a vehicle, "Of course I can! I ran some illicit casks for a moonshiner or two in my day, and there wasn't a trip I didn't delight in ending like this!" Whipping the wheel to one side and applying the hand-brake, Vic takes advantage of the slickness of the roads this time of year to kick the jeep into a wide spin, pressing both its occupants against the seats and rattling the barrels in the back seat. The spin takes them into a perfect parallel park that ends with two of the wheels which were—shall we say—temporarily gravitationally impaired hitting the pavement again with a groaning thud of protesting shock absorbers.

"There we are, snug as a bug. Now, let's go meet the Mercs and talk some mutually beneficial arrangements before they notice the burnt rubber in their parking lot." Vic steps out of the jeep and walks around to help Alva with her door, always the gentleman.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

Victor will be denied the opportunity to be a gentleman, since the door opens by itself. As it always does when visitors have been spotted. Inside, they'll find themselves in a large, circular foyer, with chairs, armchairs and desks spaced out around a central fireplace. On one of the armchairs is seated a small goblin, with a large wolf dozing off at his feet.

"Welcome to MERC. How may we help you?"

17. - Top - End - #767

'Help' was a relative term. If the ride over hadn't already resulted in her fur being a stand-on-end mess, then that stunt probably would have done it. Though, given that even with the seat belt in place, that sorceress had decided that the safest thing to do in such a crazy situation would be to temporarily freeze herself in place was probably a little more telling of her opinion on Victor's driving. "I'm of half a mind to set the wheels on this thing on fire, actually." she said, still staring ahead with wide eyes as the ice began to steam away with a sizzling sound.

Still, she did accept Victor's help once she had undone the effects of her panicked spell. Sure, she was planning on how to get back at him at the same time but she would at least admit she had been gotten pretty good.. "Also, what's a moonshiner, anyway?" the place she came from didn't exactly have strict liquor laws that would result in the occupation. Plus maybe a little small talk would give her enough time to get her fur to lay back down again.

18. - Top - End - #768

Quote Originally Posted by Terumitsu View Post

'Help' was a relative term. If the ride over hadn't already resulted in her fur being a stand-on-end mess, then that stunt probably would have done it. Though, given that even with the seat belt in place, that sorceress had decided that the safest thing to do in such a crazy situation would be to temporarily freeze herself in place was probably a little more telling of her opinion on Victor's driving. "I'm of half a mind to set the wheels on this thing on fire, actually." she said, still staring ahead with wide eyes as the ice began to steam away with a sizzling sound.

Still, she did accept Victor's help once she had undone the effects of her panicked spell. Sure, she was planning on how to get back at him at the same time but she would at least admit she had been gotten pretty good.. "Also, what's a moonshiner, anyway?" the place she came from didn't exactly have strict liquor laws that would result in the occupation. Plus maybe a little small talk would give her enough time to get her fur to lay back down again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

Victor will be denied the opportunity to be a gentleman, since the door opens by itself. As it always does when visitors have been spotted. Inside, they'll find themselves in a large, circular foyer, with chairs, armchairs and desks spaced out around a central fireplace. On one of the armchairs is seated a small goblin, with a large wolf dozing off at his feet.

"Welcome to MERC. How may we help you?"
    On a Mission of MERC-See

"Not until we get it back to the Empress, when we can blame it on spontaneous combustion. Besides, I wouldn't think you would like to walk back to Riverside, and I can assure you that driving without tires on is even more hazardous than this way." Victor replies smoothly, refraining from trying to help smooth out Alva's tails. That would be far too familiar of him.

"And a moonshiner is a colloquial term for an unlicensed manufacturer of alcohol and other beverages. Simply put, they made things that were not specifically safe for market consumption or had been banned for political or ethical reasons. I took it upon myself to make sure their product got where it was going and asked no questions about what they made. It was a good too years, but a bit too mindless for my tastes. Afterwards I preferred a bit more of a cerebral pursuit." Though still undeniably borderline in the ethical, legal, and moral departments.

And then the front doors open, and with Alva still in such a state, "Ah, good evening Master of Mercenaries. We are representatives of the Empress, who rules currently over part of southern Riverside. And we come bearing gifts." Hoisting a barrel on one shoulder, Victor proceeds confidently into the foyer, setting the cask a respectable distance from the fireplace.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

19. - Top - End - #769

And there Victor goes stealing the introduction. At least she managed to look far more presentable now, even taking up a mild sashay when stepping inside. Sure, it had taken maybe a minor twist of magic or so but the kitsune made it a point to be perennially presentable at the least. Leaning on her spear, though she treated it more like a staff, she waited until the gift had been delivered before speaking herself. "As Sir Victor says, we come with gifts in hopes for gainful relations." she said. "I myself am Alva Henso, her Grace's sorceress."

And then she gave the goblin a kind of 'look' that was neither appraising nor assessing but might be a cousin to both. "Actually, I'm willing to bet that this kind of organization isn't the sort to attract many of the type who have to take two full breaths of prose just to let someone else know they've got a bit of egg stuck in their beard. So if you don't mind me asking, might you or someone who's present be the person we'd want to speak with about resources?" she asked with a flick of a black tail and only the barest hint of a mischievous smirk. The Empress had indeed asked to be well represented and what better way to do than than maybe a hint of imitation? Her Grace was certainly a very focused kind of person, after all.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

The goblin's ears dip. Gifts... that's a new one. His eyes narrow as he surveys the two people who just arrived. His wolf wakes up, and looks at the newcomers with bright blue eyes.

"I've heard of the Empress. Can't say I expected her to send envoys, but her business is as good as anyone else's," Dipsnig says. "I'm Dipsnig Razortooth, the Chief Executive of MERC. You can relay anything your mistress wishes to say to me. Please, take a seat." He motions to some of the armchairs that look big enough for them.

[When Soul Meets Body]

Dipsnig's ears flick.

"None of our facilities really qualify. He'll never agree to meet on our turf. You know better than I do if your sister's palace will qualify."
    Last edited by Morty; 2017-04-05 at 05:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #771

On a Mission of MERC-See

His less than subtle reaction to the gift is not lost on Victor, and for himself the knight is rather surprised. Bribery used to be a big game in the man-for-hire circles he knew of, and a little upfront generosity often got you farther than simply paying for services rendered.

But as he removes the helm of his station and reveals his plain, if friendly, features he sticks it under one arm and gestures with the other to the parked jeep, "And there's several more in the back besides. But let me be direct. There is land not far from here, bordering on MERC's territory, that Her Grace is interested in developing. An aquaduct to supply fresh water unaffiliated with Riverside. While the path would merely verge on your lands and not directly cross through them, as I understand it." Victor retrieves a map and unfurls it as he sits, presenting the proposed route to Dipsnig for the goblin's inspection.

"We're here to inform you of these plans, and then perhaps speak a bit of clean business, for the trouble of our nearby construction. It would not do to be bad neighbors with those who have access to our drinking water." Victor jokes, but leaves the rest of the proposal in Alva's capable hands.

22. - Top - End - #772

Normally-capable hands, perhaps, but the wolf had definitely caught her eye now. "Ah, before we go further.. Um, would you mind having him sit.. I don't know, in the next room or something?" she asked. It looked enough like a dog to her to leave her uncomfortable although she was rather proud of herself that she hadn't simply decided to just turn around there and leave Victor to do everything.

"A-anyway." she began again, trying to push the thought of canines out of her brain. "As we will be both building on our mutual borders and drawing from a source that could become a point of contention, especially as the run-off comes from behind your borders, we're really only here to deliver a message of intent and to verify that there wouldn't be any problems with that." she said, mostly back in stride. "Besides, with a good source of clean water, I know we'd be able to produce more of what we brought today, for one. Quality drink calls for quality ingredients, after all." she said with a return of that smile from before. Well, perhaps without the mischief this time.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig's eyes narrow and his ears dip further as he looks at Alva. There's a heavy pause before he says:

"Her. But as you wish. Go, Viima."

He points towards a door leading to the back, and the wolf leaves obediently.

"Back to the matter at hand. I see no issue with your mistress' development plans, but if the aqueduct or any side-effects thereof encroach on our territory, I would expect compensation. Who will build it for you, and with what sort of technology?"

24. - Top - End - #774

On a Mission of MERC-See

"Thank you for consenting to my peer's humble request." Victor bows deeply at the waist, holding the pose for several seconds before returning to his straight-backed position on the available seating.

"The specifics of the construction will be up to Her Grace to decide, but if you are asking about what she is likely to use, I've seen no aversion to later or more efficient technologies when she has use of them, and with your request that we keep the construction out of your hair, I'm certain she will know the need of something efficient and contained, whether that means we carry the materials by handcart or work with newer age options." Victor dissembles, making it clear to Dipsnig that he understands the compensation involved, but would rather not pay it unless it meant the aquaduct would be completed speedily enough to make up for the expense.

"But I understand your company does much work with Riverside these days. Would you be interested in an on-going contract to patrol the duct to and from Southside? It could be as simple as those you send to the city taking an alternate route along where the structure runs to and from, and submitting reports about any structural failures or irregularities as they come up."

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [When Soul Meets Body]

Dipsnig's ears flick.

"None of our facilities really qualify. He'll never agree to meet on our turf. You know better than I do if your sister's palace will qualify."
    [When Soul Meets Body]

"Xar'Cha Palace it is, then. Can I bother you for an escort to Delmah Phor, just in case my brother has something else up his sleeves? He wouldn't dare make a mess in my sister's domain, but outside of that, I don't know. I'd be able to send them home with payment, too, for all of your troubles. I can pull it straight from the treasury."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

26. - Top - End - #776

Seeming much relieved at the now lack of canine in the immediate area, Alva relaxed as she glanced towards Victor. "You know, at this point I feel like I should ask if you're just reading my mind." she said with a masked laugh. "But I was wanting to suggest myself something that might be mutually beneficial. This is more of a proposal for later negotiation, mind, but more than just a patrols, I think there's ample opportunity for us to teach each other what we know. Spar a bit on friendly terms. Sharpen steel with steel as the saying goes." she said, still smiling despite the narrowing eyes sent her way.

"We could probably even make the area around the aqueducts a neutral ground for this if there are any concerns about who's place we'd use... But here I am brainstorming when we aren't even to that point yet." Alva said, an ear idly flicking towards some sound in another room. "Something to consider at least. But as for the terms of compensation if there is an inconvenience or encroachment, I believe they are very fair terms indeed.. Though I guess we should get the paperwork out of the way now, in that case." she said.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

[When Soul Meets Body]

"As long as we're compensated, an escort will be no problem," Dipsnig says. "What are the chances your brother will actually pick a fight?"

Dipsnig's expression doesn't change, but there is a slight twitch to the muscles around his eyes and ears when Alva speaks.

"We've got major contracts in Riverside, yes. We can certainly extend such protection to the aqueduct, yes. Although it's likely to go through some fairly inhospitable terrain, and our compensation will need to reflect that.

I expect to see a detailed plan for the aqueduct, but I don't expect there to be any problems, as long as you stick to what you've promised. As far as mutual training goes, our members' and licensees' current training and practice facilities are entirely adequate for our purposes."

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

[When Soul Meets Body]

"Inside Delmah Phor? Minimal. If he says he'll talk, he'll talk. Unless I say something to antagonize him, which I don't plan on doing." Raril says.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

29. - Top - End - #779

On a Mission of MERC-See

Victor glances wryly across at his fellow knight, but leaves his response to that, "Certainly, though inhospitable terrain shouldn't be an issue. If it is not already planned for, I will be requesting a road be put in running alongside the aquaduct for ease of access. I see no reason why this road couldn't be open to MERC for better, more direct access to the city that you won't have to share with other drivers." Pausing, he takes out a small silver fob watch and takes a look at its face before nodding to himself and tucking it away.

"I think we'll have to table the discussion of compensation for when we've brought you the full plans, then, unless you have other concerns that we can address."

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

[On a Mission of MERC-See]

"Nothing at this point, I think," Dipsnig says. "Your terms are acceptable so far. I will be able to say more once I see the full plans and how they'll interact with our territory."

[When Soul Meets Body]

"He's the one who sent an assassin," Dipsnig points out. "He might decide you've offended him regardless. But I suppose that's what we'll be there for."