New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 10: La Li Lu Le Lo

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    So you think if I walk up to a female co-worker and tell her "Hey, I need you to take off your shirt", it would be ok, because I can say "Hey, I thought she might be cool with it. That makes it alright, doesn't it?"
    Wow, you read an awful lot of assholishness into my statement. Just in case you're the kind of person who's actually that thick though: whether you think they'll be okay with it is irrelevent, what matters is if they're actually okay with it. If they're not okay with it, it's definitely sexual harrassment; if they are okay with it, the illegality of it is much fuzzier.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    In the same way that it isn't theft when I take someones stuff but they don't mind. Though even if he is that doesn't necessarily stop it from being work place inappropriate.
    Once agai, a person who twists the situation into something completely different to paint me as an *******. A more accurate comparison would be if you asked to borrow their [whatever object]; if they don't mind, they'll say so, and then it's borrowing; if they do mind, and you take it anyway, that's theft.

For both of you judgemental ****s, I wanna make it clear that I think Elliot will end up minding, and that this will end up being sexual harassment. I'm just saying that he has yet to actually state a preference, or even give a reaction other than surprise to this unexpected situation, and assuming he's going to react negatively (while I agree it's my assumption as well) is still nothing more than our assumption of how he's going to respond. It's like calling an incident of sexual intercourse "rape" before you've even asked the two people involved if they consented.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Bugbear in the Playground

Anyway, @Traab that surely is meant to be suggested by it coming after the previous page but I find it more likely that it is deliberate misdirection and the reason is something else. I guess it could be really that but while annoying I don't think she would choose a route that dumb and suggest it so casually.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    My guess was going with, "Lets see if I AM interested in him. I would drool if he went shirtless, right?" As for the sexual harassment, its a bit of a false comparison because a guy can be topless in a large number of scenarios without it being considered sexual.
    Your first sentence contradicts the second one - if this scenario is explicitly sexual, then the fact that other non-sexual scenarios exist is irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Your first sentence contradicts the second one - if this scenario is explicitly sexual, then the fact that other non-sexual scenarios exist is irrelevant.
    More broadly, when it comes to sexual harassment in the workplace, the appearance of sexual intent (or any other impropriety) is sufficient. Even if there is consent of both parties, a half-decent HR person will put an immediate end to it. Uber notwithstanding.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ettin in the Playground

In the real world, in a vacuum, this would be sexual harassment, bar none.

But this is QC-Ville, where Hanners stalked Marten into becoming her friend and Steve became friends with a complete stranger because they randomly bumped into each other the street and immediately started swapping dead body (and possibly necrophilia?) jokes.

Renee and Elliott at least know each other already so it's kind of up in the air.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

6. - Top - End - #846

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Um.... no? My first couple sentences were about what I guessed off the top of my head was going on. My other sentences were about why telling a guy to take his shirt off and telling a girl to take her shirt off arent the same thing all the time. Yes it absolutely CAN be sexual harassment, but its not automatically because shirtless guys do not equal shirtless girls. Its one of a million double standards that exist in this day and age. A guy can have a couple dozen legit reasons to go topless in public and not be arrested for it. Women? Not so much.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    People are saying, "Sexual harassment". I'm thinking, "New uniform" or some other innocuous explanation. Renee's not my favorite character, but trying to ogle the Elliot Chest for cheap thrills doesn't strike me as her style.
    I'm really going that's what this is, and it's just a Wacky Sitcom Hijinks joke that landed poorly. If it's not, this is definitely uncomfortable at the very least.
    ithilanor on Steam.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    A guy can have a couple dozen legit reasons to go topless in public and not be arrested for it. Women? Not so much.
    Pardon my feminism, but a woman can decide to go topless for exactly the same reasons that a man can, and actually has one legitimate reason to slip out a nip that (most) men don't.

The societal response to a topless woman is the problem, not the topless woman in and of herself.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Pardon my feminism, but a woman can decide to go topless for exactly the same reasons that a man can, and actually has one legitimate reason to slip out a nip that (most) men don't.

The societal response to a topless woman is the problem, not the topless woman in and of herself.
    True. Unfortunately, societal standards (and laws that trace back to them, in many places) influence the meaning of the qualifier "legit" in the post you responded to. Public leering, disgust, mockery, and the possibility of being fined and/or arrested may all weigh on whether or not a reason is a "legit" reason.

The double standard isn't a good thing, but it does exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #850

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    True. Unfortunately, societal standards (and laws that trace back to them, in many places) influence the meaning of the qualifier "legit" in the post you responded to. Public leering, disgust, mockery, and the possibility of being fined and/or arrested may all weigh on whether or not a reason is a "legit" reason.

The double standard isn't a good thing, but it does exist.
    This basically, I was speaking of the legality. Breast feeding is a different matter entirely and at least around here is totally legal even if some people still tend to freak out over it like idiots, but im talking about full scale nothing on up top activity. A guy can take off everything above the waist and go out to mow his lawn. A woman does that and she can be fined. Is it a double standard? Of course, does that mean it shouldnt exist? Meh, I dont care if that double standard goes away, what matters is, it does still exist and thus asking a woman to take her shirt off is different from asking a guy to take his shirt off.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ettin in the Playground

... it's actually not as common as you think.

Spoiler: I'm not sure how big this image is on desktop so spoilered for safety
    Show

All these green states allow shirtlessness (within certain contexts of course) regardless of sex.

I'm not sure who would want to be shirtless in Alaska, but I suppose it's the principle of the thing.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2017-03-14 at 06:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Firbolg in the Playground

But lets not kid ourselves into thinking for a second that women are usually being the subject of much, much, much, much more sexual harassment and objectification than the great majority of men.

Just look a video of a woman walking down the street with the counter of how many leering comment she has to go through.

I aint saying this somehow makes Rene's actions all right. But there is a reason for the double standard.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ettin in the Playground

I never denied it. Men in general need to do better when it comes to this sort of thing.

14. - Top - End - #854

RogueGuy

Why did we need this plotline?
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

15. - Top - End - #855

Man this is pretty stupid. I mean, I know I called it and all but geez it makes no sense. If she had the hots for him before she got the chance to see his manly bod, why did she need to see it to confirm it? Is it just more evident now that she realizes she finds him sexy? I mean, speaking objectively, I can understand why she likes him, but this was just unneeded.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, doesn't everyone experience and process sexual attraction in the exact same way?

*sarcastically points to my avatar*

(Not that I think the resulting situation is any less stupid, mind you)
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2017-03-14 at 10:47 PM.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm morbidly amused and curious. Like watching a car crash.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

18. - Top - End - #858
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    I'm morbidly amused and curious. Like watching a car crash.
    Car crashes get less morbidly fascinating when you know and like everybody in the car other than the driver, and then even less when you realize the driver crashed on purpose.

...the metaphor probably broke down somewhere in there. The point I was trying to make is that at this point Renee's child-like motivations and actions are dragging down a pretty great comic, made worse by the fact that I keep getting a horrible feeling that we're supposed to either like her or at least mildly empathize with her.

19. - Top - End - #859

So it really was that… Damn.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Troll in the Playground

Ha, I was wrong, she WAS after cheap thrills. Or rather, seeing if seeing Elliot shirtless GAVE her cheap thrills, and a tingling sensation.

Apparently it does.

This could get... interesting...

21. - Top - End - #861
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Maybe he was hoping he'd be fat and doughy underneath the shirt and she could stop being attracted to him instead of being full bearmode.

And, I mean, he's nice. He clearly takes care of himself. He totally deserves better than her.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2017-03-15 at 06:36 AM.

22. - Top - End - #862

I think its more that if she really was infatuated with him, seeing him shirtless would provoke a reaction she couldnt control.

Its less of a "is he actually hot?" And more of a "is he actually having an effect on me?"

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I really just can't help imagining this whole aituation gender reversed and it makes me furious.

Think about it all other factors the same, and you'd be enraged! I really hope that she doesn't get off easy.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2017-03-15 at 10:29 AM.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Can someone tell me when this storyline is over, or if it really improves all of a sudden? I'd rather not read the comic until it's done.
    Last edited by IthilanorStPete; 2017-03-15 at 04:06 PM.

25. - Top - End - #865

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Can someone tell me when this storyline is over, or if it really improves all of a sudden? I'd rather not read the comic until it's done.
    It still scores more interesting than everyone whining about it.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    I'll make a note and send you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    It still scores more interesting than everyone whining about it.
    Yeah, the appropriate response to a thing you like doing a thing you don't like is to look down awkwardly, not say anything, and pretend the bad thing never happened, that way you never have to insinuate that you ever liked something that was flawed.

EDIT: Not to mention, of course, deriding those stupid morons who dare insult its perfection.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2017-03-15 at 10:20 PM.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Hm, now things might get interesting.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Jim lays the smackdown, the storyline will become a lot more forgiveable. Plus, y'know, Jim Smackdown.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I already like Jim in general. Displeased Manager Jim promises to make it even better
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oh, looks like Sam has a cold. Hope she gets better.

Also Jim looks pissed. Good.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Troll in the Playground

When dealing with a tsundere female, being a sub is the safest course.

Yes, the 'babe' comment suggests it's Veronica taking care of Sam and not the other way around. Which would actually be cuter.