New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

A 320

Because sonic might be an energy type, but it doesn't come from one of the four classic elements (earth, fire, wind, water) and has no corresponding plane in the D&D/Pathfinder cosmology. You can summon a Fire Elemental, but you can't summon a Sonic one.

Also, probably for balance reasons.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Spamalot in the Playground

A320a: While we don't always have insight into developer rationale, we have an indication that they consider Sonic to be more powerful. The Expanded Draconic Bloodlines entry in Dragons of Legacy states the following:

Energy Types: Several of these new draconic bloodline options include nonstandard damage types. For the sake of game balance, many of the damage types available to the bloodlines below somewhat differ from those produced by the parent dragon. Specifically, force energy, negative energy, and sonic energy have been altered to different types of energy.
    So options to deal sonic are limited, and therefore options to convert to sonic are all but nonexistent.

A320b: You can make a Sonic Bard with the Sound Striker archetype, and further combine this with Magician if you want to focus on your castery aspect. Throw in the Discordant Voice feat and you can buff your allies' attacks with sonic damage too.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #873
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A319 clarification: Total cover actually blocks line of effect, not necessarily line of sight. What specifically are you trying to do?
    maybe I'm overthinking this, if I use the shield to grant me total cover, can an enemy in front of me use his turn to hide?

4. - Top - End - #874

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
    maybe I'm overthinking this, if I use the shield to grant me total cover, can an enemy in front of me use his turn to hide?
    No, it only counts as total cover for attacks coming your way. No other purpose.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #875
    Orc in the Playground

No, it only counts as total cover for attacks coming your way. No other purpose.
    oh, you're right, I didn't realize that, thank you

Q321 are there rules to make an indirect fire attack with a bow? (or any ranged weapon)

6. - Top - End - #876

A321: You mean bypassing cover? Improved Precise Shot would be the main one. If you want to beat total cover, you'll probably need magic - e.g. the Arcane Archer ability.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-10-21 at 04:22 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #877
    Orc in the Playground

Q322

Magic item crafting say:

Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item’s creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed). The DC to create a magic item increases by 5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet. The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create potions, spell-trigger, or spell-completion magic items without meeting its prerequisites.
    Does that mean that i can ignore prerequisite like: "creator must be XXth level", exemple: Dusty Rose Prism Ioun Stone

Thank you.
    Mummy's Mask ( IC / OOC )
    Strange Aeons ( IC / OOC )

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ettin in the Playground

A321: You mean bypassing cover? Improved Precise Shot would be the main one. If you want to beat total cover, you'll probably need magic - e.g. the Arcane Archer ability.
    Lob Shot simulates indirect fire for getting around cover.

A 322 Yes.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

9. - Top - End - #879
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Q323: Airwalk and tripping. What happens when someone with airwalk is tripped. It says a person may walk on air as if it were ground... so they are not flying and are vulnerable to trips.
    Do they fall from the sky?
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2017-10-22 at 08:25 PM.

10. - Top - End - #880

A323: Being able to trip fliers is not a default rule in PF. I'd recommend porting in those associated rules from 3.5.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #881
    Orc in the Playground

Q324

Does Vital Strike multiply the extra damage dice from the Culling weapon property?
    (assume I took feats that let me use vital strike with Cleave)

12. - Top - End - #882

A324: Unfortunately no, Vital Strike only multiplies base weapon damage. Damage from any other source (including bonuses and properties on the weapon) is not multiplied. This is one of the reasons it is commonly seen as such a weak feat.

On top of that, Culling only activates on a Cleave (a standard action) which would make it incompatible with Vital Strike anyway (as that also needs a standard action.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

Q325 if i duel-class as two seperate classes (or archetypes), and each of them grant me a familiar, do i get two familiars, or are there rules for just making the one stronger in that case?

@v first one just gets stronger then, thanks!
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2017-10-23 at 03:55 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #884

A325: Multiple classes that grant a familiar stack with each other (to a maximum of your character level) to determine that creature's abilities; you don't get a second one unless you have an ability that specifically grants multiple familiars. The same is true of animal companions, eidolons, and phantoms.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 326: Are there any feats that work like Combat Reflexes (i.e. provide extra attacks of opportunity equal to an ability modifier) but use a mental ability score? 3pp sources (particularly DSP and Drop Dead Studios) ought to be fine.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Orc in the Playground

A 326

Shield Check by Rogue Genius Games uses your wisdom for extra AoO, but only if you use a shield
    Elven Battle Training gives you an additional AoO using an elven weapon
    Off-Handed Opportunity by the Knotty Works gives you a limited extra AoO when dual-wielding
    Last edited by Boggartbae; 2017-10-23 at 04:36 PM.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

A323: Being able to trip fliers is not a default rule in PF. I'd recommend porting in those associated rules from 3.5.
    Flyers are specifically immune to trip. Airwalk is an entirely different mechanic and is literally called out as being able to "walk on air as if it was solid ground." Lying prone is, by definition, NOT walking. So there is nothing indicating that you can lay prone in the air. Air walk does not indicate you gain a flyer's immunity to trip.
    But there is also nothing for dealing with trip... so do you fall? Can you leap from side to side as you fall to avoid falling damage? Do you fall and suddenly hang upside down from your feet? Do you go prone in mid air? Do you break causality and suddenly get ported into null space?
    I can see nothing in the rules, and the paizo forums were little help.

18. - Top - End - #888

A323 addendum: The list of creatures that cannot be tripped is inclusive rather than exclusive (i.e. "such as flying creatures.") So it could go either way. My answer remains unchanged, your GM will need a ruling because PF is vague on this.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #889
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

A323 addendum: The list of creatures that cannot be tripped is inclusive rather than exclusive (i.e. "such as flying creatures.") So it could go either way. My answer remains unchanged, your GM will need a ruling because PF is vague on this.
    I AM the GM. So...I know I can rule it however, but it's a tad silly that this was never considered. It's a fair question to ask, and I have ruled it that you fall but can make an acrobatics check to halve the damage, and a second to stop the fall completely if you are still in the air on your turn. Combined with featherfall, it will stop the fall completely after 60 feet automatically with a move action (to "stand up").
    I may allow a reflex save to only fall 30 feet before getting your feet underneath you with an acrobatics check to avoid any damage... that may be more amenable to my players.

20. - Top - End - #890

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    I AM the GM. So...I know I can rule it however, but it's a tad silly that this was never considered.
    My opinion on the rule (or absence thereof) is beyond the scope of this thread.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #891
    Orc in the Playground

Q327

Can you use the extra attack granted by a mighty cleaving weapon against the SECOND creature you hit with cleave? The only restriction in the mighty cleaving description is that you cannot use it to strike the first creature, so I'm assuming you can hit the second creature twice (once from the extra attack from the Cleave Feat, and once from the extra attack from Mighty Cleaving Magic Weapon Ability)

22. - Top - End - #892

A327: Yep, that's how it works - 1, 2, 2.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #893
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q328
    Are Magic Device Traps technically magic items or no?

Am looking to figure out if Magic Device Traps can be Intelligent Magic Items.

Q329
    Is there an analogue to 3.x's Lair Wards from Draconomicon or Wondrous Architecture from Stronghold Builder's Guidebook in PF? Or will I have to make do with Custom Magic Device Traps?

24. - Top - End - #894

A328: It's not clear but I believe they are, given that you need CWI to make them. So intelligent traps could exist.

329 I honestly don't know (I don't have SBG) so I'll leave that one open.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #895

Q330
    A question of stasis and ongoing magical/spell effects...

The spell Scribe's Binding as well as other spells and some magic items (Mirror of Soul Snaring comes to mind) keep the subject creature in stasis.

Do forms of stasis halt ongoing magical and/or spell effects?
    Would a Shadow Duplicate made by a Book of Night Without Moon persist in this state?
    What about a Lesser Simulacrum?
    A summoned creature?
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2017-10-25 at 01:15 AM.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

A330: Nothing in stasis implies it it bypasses a spell ending effect. Nor does it imply it sustains active spells.
    So no, none of those would continue existing beyond their spell duration. Likewise, a creature put in stasis with active spells would not have those spells active once they come out of stasis (assuming the spells expire before stasis ends)

27. - Top - End - #897

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    A330: Nothing in stasis implies it it bypasses a spell ending effect. Nor does it imply it sustains active spells.
    So no, none of those would continue existing beyond their spell duration. Likewise, a creature put in stasis with active spells would not have those spells active once they come out of stasis (assuming the spells expire before stasis ends)
    I hate to be a bother but what is the RAW basis for this position?
    Am less contending it and more just looking to be better able to thoroughly explain it at a later date.

EDIT
    Started a thread to discuss as well.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2017-10-25 at 09:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #898

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Am less contending it and more just looking to be better able to thoroughly explain it at a later date.
    The RAW basis is that spells end at the end of their duration:

Timed Durations

Many durations are measured in rounds, minutes, hours, or other increments. When the time is up, the magic goes away and the spell ends.
    The onus is therefore on you to prove that putting a creature in stasis suspends a spell's duration.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #899
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    "No force can harm it" "Its physical condition becomes fixed." The wording is such that temporal stasis only affects the creature, not the spells affecting the creature. Since the spell that summoned the creature is not put in stasis, the duration continues to tick down.
    When it reaches zero, it stops sustaining the existence of said creature. Stopping the sustaining force enabling a creatures existence is not an attempt to harm the creature, it's merely an expiration of what causes it to exist.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Orc in the Playground

Q331 I could swear that in one of the Bestiary updates that Paizo published, they clarified that Undead can go into rage if they want to, and that the bonus to Constitution should be applied to Charisma instead. Can anyone verify this for me? I can't seem to find it anymore :small annoyed:

Edit: forgot to add question number
    Last edited by Boggartbae; 2017-10-26 at 01:17 PM.
    LGBTitP

Quote Originally Posted by ViperMagnum357 View Post
    I think I would agree with Boggartbae