New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

Q209: When casting a spell that's a full round action or has a casting time of 1 round or more, can one still take Attacks of Opportunity?

(e.g. A cleric with a longspear casts Summon Monster I and someone moves through their threatened area. Do they get an attack of opportunity?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A209: No.

Cast a Spell

A spell that takes one round to cast is a full-round action. It comes into effect just before the beginning of your turn in the round after you began casting the spell. You then act normally after the spell is completed.

A spell that takes 1 minute to cast comes into effect just before your turn 1 minute later (and for each of those 10 rounds, you are casting a spell as a full-round action). These actions must be consecutive and uninterrupted, or the spell automatically fails.

When you begin a spell that takes 1 round or longer to cast, you must continue the invocations, gestures, and concentration from 1 round to just before your turn in the next round (at least). If you lose concentration after starting the spell and before it is complete, you lose the spell.

You only provoke attacks of opportunity when you begin casting a spell, even though you might continue casting for at least 1 full round. While casting a spell, you don’t threaten any squares around you.

This action is otherwise identical to the cast a spell action described under Standard Actions.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

A 204-6 Kinetic Blasts are spell-like abilities, so they are treated as spells for how they function while underwater, not weapons. So they're not affected by passing through water for attack or damage unless GM discretion makes them function differently underwater, as noted in the final sentence of Spellcasting Underwater.

A 207 Greater Self Telekinesis simply moves you regardless of medium, so there is no Fly or Swim check involved, since you're doing neither.

A 208 Wings of Air works as Fly; Fly grants a fly speed. You can't fly underwater.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

4. - Top - End - #394
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

This is the text under Bardic performances:

1st level - Starting a bardic performance is a standard action, but it can be maintained each round as a free action...

At 7th level, a bard can start a bardic performance as a move action instead of a standard action. At 13th level, a bard can start a bardic performance as a swift action.

Q210 - If I am a Bard of 13th level or higher may I choose to expend a move action instead of a swift action to start my performance? The reason I may want to do this is if I have another swift action I want to use in the round (like cast a quickened spell), but the rules prohibit the use of two swift actions in one round. It seems odd that as written I could do this from levels 7-12 (start a performance as a move action, then quick cast as a swift, and still have a standard action left). But then at 13th level I lose that option because now I must use up my swift action to start my performance and thus can no longer quick cast? That doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by ChadDragonLord; 2017-03-13 at 01:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Spamalot in the Playground

A210: Yes, the actions gained are cumulative (because you "can", not "must.") So you can choose the move action start if you need your swift for something else, for example. Simply tell the GM which one you're doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #396
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Q211: Do the armor cost multipliers apply for weapons as well? It matches the 1x small, 1x medium, 2x large weapon modifiers, but doesn't seem to specify.

Q212a: Do the armor cost multipliers apply to weapon/armor special materials (mithral, adamantium, etc.)? Does a tiny suit of light mithral armor cost 500gp in materials, and a colossal suit of light mithral armor cost 16,000gp?*
    Q212b: Do the armor cost multipliers apply to enchantment costs? Does a tiny +1 chain shirt cost 550gp ((1,000 + 100) * 1/2), and a colossal +1 chain shirt cost 17,600gp?

My assumption is 211 yes, 212a yes, 212b no, but I can't find any of these in the books.

*: This question does not apply to dragonhide which explicitly calls out how much armor you can make out a dragon.
    Last edited by Elysiume; 2017-03-15 at 02:55 AM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

A212 (a and b): Special material and magic enhancement cost don't scale with size. Improving an armor from masterwork to +1 costs 1000 gp regardless of the armor's size. Similarly, making a fullplate mithral adds 9000 gp to the cost regardless of the armor's size.
    Last edited by Tuvarkz; 2017-03-15 at 04:24 AM.
    The one and only Tuvarkz across all the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    And then I vanish in a burst of fire and brimstone, because this is my dream sequence, Me damn it, and in my dream sequence, I can teleport.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

A 211 There isn't official weapon size pricing outside the small to large range but the armor table's multipliers make the most sense, unless your GM says otherwise. I wouldn't bother with the non-humanoid side for weapons, as in general you tend to need humanoid hands for most weapons, so it would be needlessly punitive to up price a marilith's longswords because they don't have legs.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

9. - Top - End - #399

NecromancerGuy

Q213: Is there a particular stat block that one is supposed to use for cattle and oxen, or is it basically GM's choice whether one uses Bison or Aurochs for a bull fight?
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #400
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Q213: Can you tell if an enemy makes a will save, if they try to fake it? In some cases like Dominate Person and Plane Shift it's obvious. Dominate Person gives you a telepathic link if it hits, and it's kind of hard to fake getting Plane Shifted. For spells like Command or Zone of Truth, where nothing in the text explicitly indicates that you're aware of success, can you tell? Or could someone recognize your Zone of Truth cast, make the save, and pretend to be forced to tell the truth, lying throughout?

11. - Top - End - #401
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

A213 A caster is aware whether or not a creature has passed a save against an enchantment, unless they are wearing a Seducer's Bane
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sayt View Post
    A213 A caster is aware whether or not a creature has passed a save against an enchantment, unless they are wearing a Seducer's Bane
    Followup:
    Q214: If a caster knows when someone fails a will save, if you cast an AoE will save spell and an invisible enemy is in the area, do you know that an enemy is present (but not where they are)?

13. - Top - End - #403
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

A214: No, you are only aware of passed or failed save against creatures if it is a targeted, rather than an area spell. Detailed info can be found here under the Saving Throws section (I'd link directly to that section but the internal links are borked. )
    Last edited by Sayt; 2017-03-16 at 06:49 PM.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sayt View Post
    A214: No, you are only aware of passed or failed save against creatures if it is a targeted, rather than an area spell. Detailed info can be found here under the Saving Throws section (I'd link directly to that section but the internal links are borked. )
    Sorry, but I can't find a bit in the Saving Throws section that refers to caster awareness of successful saves for AoE spells. Could you quote the part you're thinking of?

15. - Top - End - #405
    Barbarian in the Playground

Per Saving Throws:
    Quote Originally Posted by Succeeding on a Saving Throw
    A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell, you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Q213: Is there a particular stat block that one is supposed to use for cattle and oxen, or is it basically GM's choice whether one uses Bison or Aurochs for a bull fight?
    Going by the Bestiary and Ultimate Equipment, the best I can surmise is Aurochs are intended to be used for cattle statblocks, whereas Yaks make use of the Bison statblock.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

17. - Top - End - #407
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q215: Can an arcanist with the dimensional slide exploit take people with him and does it matter if those people are being carried by him or are dead?

Q216: Does the Dimensional Anchor spell block the arcanist's dimensional slide exploit?

18. - Top - End - #408
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by W3bDragon View Post
    Q215: Can an arcanist with the dimensional slide exploit take people with him and does it matter if those people are being carried by him or are dead?

Q216: Does the Dimensional Anchor spell block the arcanist's dimensional slide exploit?
    A215: You cannot take living people with you unless you have the grab special ability. You must follow the rules for normal movement. Dead people are fine though.

A216: Yes. Dimensional anchor stops all extradimensional travel.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q217: Does the Natural Discovery (Infusion) form the Natural Alchemist, or Thuvian Alchemist for those not on the SRD, work with the Healing Solution the class makes on its own or would it only work for extracts gained form Alchemist levels?

Or rephrased if I take the infusion option with the Natural Alchemist will the healing potions last more than 1 round?

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

A 217 Healing Solutions are already infused, having the Infusion discovery from either Alchemist or Thuvian Alchemist doesn't change the specific rules of how Healing Solutions work or how quickly they expire.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

21. - Top - End - #411
    Orc in the Playground

Q 218: Does a vermin with the mindless trait gain feats when it becomes a familiar (ie, it gains an intelligence score and drops the mindless trait?

edit: the number after 217 is 218, duh
    Last edited by NamelessNPC; 2017-03-18 at 05:30 PM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

A 218 No, familiars retain the appearance, hit dice, BAB, base saves, skills and feats of the creature it once was, it is then modified by the familiar rules. Vermin familiars didn't have skills or feats when they were unintelligent, they don't get them now except as stated under the Familiar rules.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

23. - Top - End - #413
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

So, I had an interesting thought. Disintegrate leaves behind behind a trace of fine dust as per raw.
    Q219: Would a wall made of tightly packed disintegrate dust be immune to disintegrate?

24. - Top - End - #414

NecromancerGuy

Q220: Are there any ways to make a character into a Construct?

In the same vein as a Green Star Adept or a Renegade Mastermaker allow a character to become a Construct in 3.5, rather than making a construct copy of a creature, that is.
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

A219 On the same reasoning that a single puddle of water, while made of individual molecules of water that are easily separatable from each other, would count as a single targetted object by a spell, then no, such a wall is still vulnerable to Disintegrate.
    The one and only Tuvarkz across all the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    And then I vanish in a burst of fire and brimstone, because this is my dream sequence, Me damn it, and in my dream sequence, I can teleport.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Q221: Can you use Extend Spell on Grace, Burst of Speed, or another spell with the duration of "until the end of your turn"? Grace and Burst of Speed are the only spells I can find with the duration of "until the end of your turn," and Extend Spell doesn't explicitly clarify. Will it allow them to last until the end of your next turn, or is there nothing clarifying in RAW? Various sections from the SRD:
    Quote Originally Posted by APG
    GRACE
    School abjuration; Level cleric 2, paladin 1
    Casting Time 1 swift action
    Components V
    Range personal
    Target you
    Duration see text

Until the end of your turn, your movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRB
    Extend Spell (Metamagic)
    You can make your spells last twice as long.

Benefit: An extended spell lasts twice as long as normal. A spell with a duration of concentration, instantaneous, or permanent is not affected by this feat. An extended spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.
    Round: Combat is measured in rounds. During an individual round, all creatures have a chance to take a turn to act, in order of initiative. A round represents 6 seconds in the game world.
    Turn: In a round, a creature receives one turn, during which it can perform a wide variety of actions. Generally in the course of one turn, a character can perform one standard action, one move action, one swift action, and a number of free actions. Less-common combinations of actions are permissible as well, see Combat for more details.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q222
    I hope this question qualifies for this thread:
    Is there any Cleric archetype that re-keys their abilities from WIS to CHA?

So, sort of like the Empyreal Bloodline for the Sorcerer, just the other way round.
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

29. - Top - End - #419
    Halfling in the Playground

Q223 :
    A vermin familiar is specifically stated to lose its "mindless" trait. I know it doesn't get actual HD as the master gains levels, but does it get a feat for its first and only HD now that it isn't mindless anymore?
    Be careful, some familiar candidates (such as the greensting scorpion and the house centipede) do have a feat already, but it is a bonus feat (weapon finesse), not an actual feat from their HD.
    Thanks in advance!

Bonus question: does it get a skill point too?
    Last edited by Agahnim; 2017-03-23 at 05:12 PM.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

A 223 I actually answered this question on this same page of the thread, so let me just quote that answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    A 218 No, familiars retain the appearance, hit dice, BAB, base saves, skills and feats of the creature it once was, it is then modified by the familiar rules. Vermin familiars didn't have skills or feats when they were unintelligent, they don't get them now except as stated under the Familiar rules.
    To your note about bonus feats, that is covered by the normal familiar rules, as I noted previously, they retain feats from the creature they were.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!