New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

Q282:

Always get confused by this wording here, but when something describes skill RANKS (i.e. "upon reaching 10 ranks in a skill...") they are spesifically talking about skill POINTS right? Ability, class, race, and feat bonuses to a skill don't count as "ranks"?

If yes, then i really wish they would just call them skill points already, kinda confusing making two seperate words for the same thing...

@v Thanks
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2017-08-25 at 04:18 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #782
    Spamalot in the Playground

A282: Ranks are actual points, yes (not bonuses). The maximum ranks you can have in a skill equals your level.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #783
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q283

Hero points.

Reroll: You may spend a hero point to reroll any one d20 roll you just made. You must take the results of the second roll, even if it is worse.
    When dealing with rerolls, are you allowed to reroll even if you fail? (like the pre-errata Lessons of Chaldira trait) Or you must reroll before the GM announces the result? (like the actual Lessons of Chaldira or any other common reroll)
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Q284:

a 2kg grappling hook is considered a throwing weapon with a range of 3m. a heavy crossbow has a range of 36m. so, two part question:

is it possible to fire a grappling hook out of a heavy crossbow to add to the grappling hook's paltry range, and how far mechanically would the grappling hook go?

i've looked at the descriptions of both, and there's nothing about incompatibility, or a heavy crossbow's raw power for me to make a good guess. as written, it seems i could go up to 10 times the range factor using the heavy crossbow, but that seems excessive for such a heavy projectile, it'd mean i could launch a grappling hook at 30m with a -20 penalty. is this right?
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

A 283 There seems to be no general rule for what occurs if an ability simply allows a reroll. And every ability/spell I have found specifies when the rerolling occurs, (either before or after the result is known). That being said, the wording leads me to believe that the reroll must take place before the result is known. Since it says "any d20 you just made...". In my mind, once the results are revealed, the grace period of "just rolled" is over. Perhaps someone else can provide a definitive rule citation on the matter. But for now, that's all I got.

A 284 What you're describing is homebrew, since no such rules for combining grappling hooks to crossbows exist, and homebrew is not really the purview of this thread. (This is a strictly RAW thread). That being said. The autograpnel might give you some ideas. Not exactly what you're looking for but it might help.
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2017-08-28 at 02:27 AM.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

6. - Top - End - #786

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamilarRaven View Post
    A 284 What you're describing is homebrew, since no such rules for combining grappling hooks to crossbows exist, and homebrew is not really the purview of this thread. (This is a strictly RAW thread). That being said. The autograpnel might give you some ideas. Not exactly what you're looking for but it might help.
    i swear the rules and lack thereof were in the pf phb in the rubrics armament and equipment, i was wondering if there was perhaps an official faq or maybe a splatbook dealing with such a use. guess the answer is "no", thank you for answering, and sorry for posting something that has to be homebrewed. i'll look at the autograpnel.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    i swear the rules and lack thereof were in the pf phb in the rubrics armament and equipment, i was wondering if there was perhaps an official faq or maybe a splatbook dealing with such a use. guess the answer is "no", thank you for answering, and sorry for posting something that has to be homebrewed. i'll look at the autograpnel.
    There ARE the Custom Weapons guidelines, it's still homebrew but at least it is guided homebrew.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ettin in the Playground

A 284 Addendum Grappling Arrows and bolts do exist explicitly for what you're trying to do, launch a specialized grappling hook from a bow or crossbow. You can't launch a normal grappling hook from either, however.
    On a related note, if you use a light or heavy crank crossbow with a grappling bolt, you get a bonus on Climb, since the rope is using a winch built into the crossbow to get you up wherever you're going. It also doesn't really matter if you're not proficient, as you're targeting AC 5 most of the time, so as long as you're not a terrible shot, you should be fine.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

9. - Top - End - #789
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

this likely has been answered before, but I'm having trouble finding an answer...

Q 285:Can someone take an immediate and/or free action during a surprise round in which they are surprised/not acting?

I.e. if you have a swift action that can counter something, can you use it during a round in which you are surprised?

Q 286:Also, if two people were talking, and out of nowhere one of them decides to attack the other (both are looking at each other and the situation is hostile, but not yet violent), would the attacker get a surprise round? How would that play out?

Thanks
    Last edited by mistermysterio; 2017-08-30 at 01:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ettin in the Playground

A 285 No, you're flat-footed, so you don't have an immediate action to use. Free actions generally only happen on your turn and if you're surprised, you don't have a turn to use a free action in.

A 286 If they're both hostile but not violent, probably no surprise round unless they have something like Betrayer to cause that sort of situation. A Sense Motive check, opposed by the initiator's Bluff, may also be warranted if you want there to be a chance that the other party be caught unaware of your intent to cause them harm or hide your intent till it's too late for the victim to avoid getting shanked.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2017-08-30 at 04:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

11. - Top - End - #791
    Banned

Q287

Hello. I have question about magic items creation.

So, for example, i want to craft item similar to LANTERN OF REVEALING.
    It is Use-activated or continuous magic item, so i will use formula:

Spell level × caster level × 2,000 gp2
    2 If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2, and if the duration is 10 minutes/level, multiply the cost by 1.5. If the spell has a 24-hour duration or greater, divide the cost in half.

3 (spell level) x 5 (caster level) x 2,000 x 2 ( If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2)= 60,000 gp.

So why this items price is only 30,000 gp ? And why is it in example ?

Q288

Can you help me find RAW about what is wield and hold (weapon and etc)

12. - Top - End - #792

BardGuy

A 287
    The items listed on the table are examples of an items that grant an effect akin to those that the table is guiding the prices for, and the items that are included in the book don't necessarily follow the rules as listed. The section actually recommends that you first look for an item similar to one that you want to create and using that as a comparison for pricing your new item, and turning to the table as a guideline for creating something entirely from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Many factors must be considered when determining the price of new magic items. The easiest way to come up with a price is to compare the new item to an item that is already priced, using that price as a guide. Otherwise, use the guidelines summarized on Table: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Not all items adhere to these formulas. First and foremost, these few formulas aren’t enough to truly gauge the exact differences between items. The price of a magic item may be modified based on its actual worth. The formulas only provide a starting point.
    As far as RAW goes, we can't tell you why the creators of the game decided to price the lantern at half of what the table says it should be. And we can't tell you why a +1 stone of good luck costs 20,000 when the table uses it as an example of something that should cost 2,000. Nor can we tell you why boots of teleportation cost 5,000 less than they should, .or why a cape of the mountebank is almost 3,000 less than it should be. All we can say is that yes, the lantern of revealing does cost 30,000, and yes, you did the math right and according to the table it would cost 60,000 if you made it from scratch rather than taking the one out of the DMG.
    Last edited by Vaern; 2017-09-01 at 12:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 288
    Do Charm Person, Implant Urge, and Diplomacy stack with each other?

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ettin in the Playground

A 288 Yes.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

15. - Top - End - #795
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Q 289

A mad wizard is building an army of animated/created medium-sized creatures, but needs storage space for them. He has a large cavern that he could stand them in until he is ready. How many medium-sized creatures can fit shoulder-to-shoulder and front-to-back in a 10 X 10 square? They need no space for melee or any other actions, just standing at attention, so to speak, until needed.

Think Terrracotta Army: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terracotta_Army

Thanks.
    Last edited by Lord of Shadows; 2017-09-02 at 04:45 PM. Reason: update
    "Save your tears, my fetid friends, the dead have Wept enough!"
    The Tears of Blood Campaign Setting Updated 15 Dec 2019
    From the Tears of Blood GiTP Forums 2004-09: "20 million dead. Whatcha gonna do with 20 million dead? You can’t bury ‘em, no time or energy to dig the graves. You could chuck ‘em somewhere out of the way. Or you could burn ‘em. But, but what if those things angered someone, or put a bad curse on 'em? Maybe gettin’ rid of ‘em is better. Just a thought. Hey, you could help us!"

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ettin in the Playground

Can a player become Worg-Bodied, like https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Lucimar ?

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

A 289: While I can't find any RAW text that can answer your question... The Troop subtype allows for 12-30 medium creatures to fight as a unit in a 20x20 square. assumign the upper end of the spectrum, that means about 1.875 creatures per square. If we round up, we could assume that 1 square allows 2 members of a Troop to fight comfortably. If They don't need space to fight, then you can assume that 4 medium humanoid shapes can fit in a 5x5 square.

So to answer your question, 16 is a good ball park. Again, this is not a RAW question.

A 290 No. It seems to be a template that just grants bestial cosmetic features and a bite attack. It's unique to the module Lucimar appears in and no rules for acquiring it or what it actually does exist.. I should also note that Lucimar is an Undead with a CON score, so the writers of that particular module played fast and loose with pathfinder rules....
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 291 Is it possible to create a Bag of Holding as an item other than a bag (such as a backpack, a hollow book, a vial, etc.)?

19. - Top - End - #799

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Shadows View Post
    Q 289

A mad wizard is building an army of animated/created medium-sized creatures, but needs storage space for them. He has a large cavern that he could stand them in until he is ready. How many medium-sized creatures can fit shoulder-to-shoulder and front-to-back in a 10 X 10 square? They need no space for melee or any other actions, just standing at attention, so to speak, until needed.

Think Terrracotta Army: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terracotta_Army

Thanks.
    A 289
    Medium creatures occupy a 5x5 space in which they can move comfortably during combat, but can squeeze into a space half that size while incurring certain penalties.
    As long as you aren't planning on initiating combat in your storage cave, you may be able to cram as many as 4 medium creatures into a single 5x5 space, or 16 into a 10x10 square.
    Last edited by Vaern; 2017-09-03 at 03:30 PM.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ettin in the Playground

A 291 Yes, Handy Haversacks and Pathfinder's Pouches are examples of non-bag Bags of Holding. Outside the established items, you can make other alternate items using the custom item creation rules but that's up to GM approval.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

21. - Top - End - #801

DwarfClericGuy

Lucimar is a unique creation of the Shadows under Gallowspire (edit: as well as Hungry are the dead, and, looking at my PDF of Shadows, has a Con of -. If you want to see what Worg-bodied comprises, strip away the undead traits, gear and 13 wizard levels with what I presume is an elite array.
    Last edited by Sayt; 2017-09-03 at 08:17 PM.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 292

If a creature has natural claw attacks but is wielding a reach two-handed weapon can they use the claw attacks for an AoO?

23. - Top - End - #803

A292: Not if the hands holding the weapon are the same ones with the claws on them. If you have multiple arms (e.g. Kasatha) you could have claws on one pair and a 2H weapon in the other to do this, but otherwise the two will interfere with each other.

If you have another form of attack that can be used without your hands - such as a bite, gore, or even an unarmed strike - you can do this.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ettin in the Playground

A 292 Addendum: It´s a free action to drop what you´re holding. For a creature with actual claw attacks wielding a reach weapon, that might actually be beneficial.

25. - Top - End - #805

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    A 292 Addendum: It´s a free action to drop what you´re holding. For a creature with actual claw attacks wielding a reach weapon, that might actually be beneficial.
    You can't take free actions when it's not your turn, so this can't help in a situation where AoO are in question.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Banned

Q293

Can you help me find RAW about what is wield and hold (weapon and etc) and when item is wield or hold.

27. - Top - End - #807

A293: Generally it's supposed to be obvious, like the words "wear" and "throw." What exactly are you trying to do?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #808
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A293: Generally it's supposed to be obvious, like the words "wear" and "throw." What exactly are you trying to do?
    Q293
    Can i wield starknife, use this feat "Way of the Shooting Star" and attack with other weapon using my charisma ?

29. - Top - End - #809

A293b: While the first sentence of the ability appears broad, the second sentence makes it clear that it only applies to the starknife itself.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #810
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A293b: While the first sentence of the ability appears broad, the second sentence makes it clear that it only applies to the starknife itself.
    Q293C

At the same time and yes and no. In my opinion the first sentence say that i can modife any attack.
    And the second sentence say that if i modify my attack, attacks with the starknife does not modify from the other ability scores.