New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by Boggartbae View Post
    I could swear that in one of the Bestiary updates that Paizo published, they clarified that Undead can go into rage if they want to, and that the bonus to Constitution should be applied to Charisma instead. Can anyone verify this for me? I can't seem to find it anymore
    A331: The text you're looking for is in Monster Codex, under the "Vampire Savage" (MC pg. 241). I'll quote it here:

"Undead Barbarian: An undead creature with the ability to enter a rage gains the morale bonuses from rage despite being immune to morale effects. The bonus to Constitution from the rage applies to an undead creature’s Charisma instead."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #902
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Q332: If multiple grapplers hold a spellcaster, does he need to make a concentration check against each one, A single one, or a single one at a higher difficulty as if getting aid another?

3. - Top - End - #903

A332: The last one - in PF, only one creature is considered to be the "grappler", but the Aid Another bonuses they got from the others will count towards the CMB that needs to be beaten by the target. (Whether they are breaking the grapple normally or wriggling out via Escape Artist.)
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

4. - Top - End - #904
    Orc in the Playground

Q333 Can I choose an item to not meld with my new form as part of a transmutation effect?
    LGBTitP

Quote Originally Posted by ViperMagnum357 View Post
    I think I would agree with Boggartbae

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ettin in the Playground

A 333 Unless you take it off first before you use a polymorph effect, if you change into the form of an animal, dragon, elemental, magical beast, plant, or vermin, all your equipment merges with your new form for the duration of the effect. 3rd Edition had Wilding Clasps for letting you keep the item it's attached to from merging with a druid's wild shaped form and remain functional but I don't believe there's a PF equivalent.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

6. - Top - End - #906

A333 Addendum: In PF, the Wild attribute lets you keep this for melded armor. Most non-armor items also continue to function, e.g. ring of protection or luckstone.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #907
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Q335: Flesh to stone is cast on a pc, then animate object. Stone to flesh is then cast. Then flesh to stone again.
    Does the statue of the pc turn around and attack the party?
    Edited because I forgot the number, used 335 to avoid confusion.
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2017-11-01 at 09:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q334

How do I, as DM, distribute XP for players with different levels?

Is there a calculator somewhere?

9. - Top - End - #909

A334: XP is based on CR, which is a function of Average Party Level and the desired difficulty of your encounter. Because it is based on an average, the XP award is generally divided equally among the players regardless of their level. There is no need to award different XP amounts to different players even if they're not the same level; the math works out such that the lower ones will naturally catch up in levels eventually, because advancing through lower levels needs less XP than through higher ones. And since XP isn't used for anything in PF, the totals between levels don't matter much. You could actually do away with XP entirely and do plot-based levelling if you wanted to without affecting anything.

A335: When the Stone to Flesh was cast, the PC ceased to be a legal target for Animate Objects, but whether that means the spell "falls off" or not depends on your GM as there is no hard RAW for that, IIRC.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-11-01 at 10:18 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ogre in the Playground

Q336 If I am a Two-Handed Fighter and have both Overhand Chop and Backswing, and perform a greater cleave which attacks get the double str damage bonus?
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ettin in the Playground

A 336 None, as Overhand Chop specifies an attack action or charge, Backswing specifies full attack. Cleave and Great Cleave are not any of those.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

12. - Top - End - #912
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Q337: Does casting dispel magic break invisibility?

Q338: If I have a silence spell between me and my targets in a hallway (silence covers the whole hallway at 1 point) and am invisible, do my targets get a perception check to notice me?
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2017-11-05 at 03:12 PM.

13. - Top - End - #913

A337: If you hit an enemy with it yes, otherwise no.

A338: They always get a check, but if silence and invisibility both apply it will be an extremely difficult one. Are you yourself inside/affected by the silence area, or are you outside it?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #914
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A337: If you hit an enemy with it yes, otherwise no.

A338: They always get a check, but if silence and invisibility both apply it will be an extremely difficult one. Are you yourself inside/affected by the silence area, or are you outside it?
    Q338 clarification: outside.

15. - Top - End - #915

So long as it fills the hallway at some point, it should be able to block the noise you make:

..no noise whatsoever issues from, enters, or passes through the area.
    Again, this won't stop an enemy from being entitled to a check, but unless they have exceptionally (or magically) sharpened senses, it will likely be futile.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #916
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 339.

Shelyn's second Sentinel boon reads

Your passionate devotion to Shelyn grants you extra prowess in your battles against evil, allowing you to see and root out the ugliness at the heart of your foe. When you use your smite evil class feature, you gain double your Charisma bonus on attack rolls and your Charisma bonus + your paladin level on damage rolls. This replaces the normal bonuses for using smite evil. If you don’t have access to smite evil, you instead gain a +2 bonus on weapon attack rolls against evil targets.
    and smite evil reads

Once per day, a paladin can call out to the powers of good to aid her in her struggle against evil. As a swift action, the paladin chooses one target within sight to smite. If this target is evil, the paladin adds her Cha bonus (if any) to her attack rolls and adds her paladin level to all damage rolls made against the target of her smite. If the target of smite evil is an outsider with the evil subtype, an evil-aligned dragon, or an undead creature, the bonus to damage on the first successful attack increases to 2 points of damage per level the paladin possesses. Regardless of the target, smite evil attacks automatically bypass any DR the creature might possess.
    In addition, while smite evil is in effect, the paladin gains a deflection bonus equal to her Charisma modifier (if any) to her AC against attacks made by the target of the smite. If the paladin targets a creature that is not evil, the smite is wasted with no effect.
    Exactly what bonuses does a Paladin X / Sentinel of Shelyn 6 get while smiting evil?

17. - Top - End - #917
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

A339:
    The ones from the first block openly states the bonuses replace those of smite evil. So the bonuses from smite is irrelevant. It is up to the gm as to whether or not certain wording applies as "bonus" and is negated such as bypassing dr because it is not included in the wording, but as far as damage and hit bonuses it's clear cut: block a replaces block b.

18. - Top - End - #918

A339: As written, the Sentinel levels would not stack with Paladin when determining the strength of your smite. This could result in a weaker smite than just staying Paladin, which may or may not have been the intent.

For your specific example - Cha*2 to attack, X+Cha to damage. A full paladin meanwhile would have gotten Cha to attack, X+6 to damage.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #919
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    It is up to the gm as to whether or not certain wording applies as "bonus" and is negated such as bypassing dr because it is not included in the wording, but as far as damage and hit bonuses it's clear cut: block a replaces block b.
    Q339 followup. Yeah, that's sort of the problem. The debate's about if bypassing DR is one of the bonuses, and thus lost, or if it's a natural feature of smite attacks, and thus still applies.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ilmarë View Post
    Q339 followup. Yeah, that's sort of the problem. The debate's about if bypassing DR is one of the bonuses, and thus lost, or if it's a natural feature of smite attacks, and thus still applies.
    Re: 339

There shouldn't be any debate over that. In the game, a bonus refers to a number added to a roll. Ignoring DR isn't a bonus, it's just an effect of Smite Evil. And the ability as it was quoted above includes the line "When you use your smite evil class feature...", so we know it's only modifying the normal bonuses of Smite Evil and not replacing it outright.

In other words, it would have to specifically say that you no longer ignore DR when smiting for that to be the case.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

21. - Top - End - #921

Killian is correct. CRB 15: "A positive modifier is called a bonus, and a negative modifier is called a penalty." That's all the terms mean. Smite bypassing DR is an effect, not a bonus (in the game sense.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 340 Does the Strength requirement of the Butchering Axe scale with size outside Small and Medium? Does a Tiny Butchering Axe require Strength 15 to not be penalized for wielding it? Would a Large Butchering Axe require Strength 21?
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

23. - Top - End - #923

A340a: The 17 is for "Small or smaller," so as written even a Tiny or Diminutive axe would require STR 17 to avoid the penalty.
    A340b: With no line given about larger sizes to accompany the line about smaller ones, it appears that the larger sizes don't need anything additional/higher.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-11-07 at 05:34 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #924
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q341

What kind of action is activating Adaptation?

Using an extraordinary ability is usually not an action because most extraordinary abilities automatically happen in a reactive fashion. Those extraordinary abilities that are actions are usually standard actions that cannot be disrupted, do not require concentration, and do not provoke attacks of opportunity.
    But this is not explicitly an standard action. So is it free 'cause it gives me a second ability? It's no action at all? Is it standard?
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ettin in the Playground

A 341 You do need to activate it, as it works in 10 minute increments. As your quoted text for extraordinary abilities notes, given Adaptation doesn't note an action type otherwise, it defaults to a standard action to activate what Adaptation you're taking for that time increment.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 342: Do dead characters lose any permanent effects? In other words, if one add permanent Arcane Sight, or was afflicted by the Insanity spell, would they go away upon death? After reading the passage on the Dead condition my gut reaction is "no", but I was wondering if there is any errata or other source that says otherwise.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

27. - Top - End - #927

A342: There is nothing explicit. The best you could argue is that your corpse ceases to be a creature and becomes an object, so those spells would have illegal targets and "fall off", MTG style.

Having said that, the only time this is really relevant is when the creature is being raised. Raise dead states that "magical diseases and poisons remain." This would work as an argument that it doesn't interfere with active magic, but again, unclear.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #928
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Q343: I manifest true mindswitch into a person created from a pebble using polymorph any object hen out into another body. When PaO ends, what happens?
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2017-11-10 at 03:04 AM.

29. - Top - End - #929

A343: Ask your DM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

Q344: Can i use meta-magic feats like "quicken" or whatnot on spell-like abilities? or only class-spells?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show