New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

A 406 Furious Finish specifies that it goes off when you use Vital Strike. Vital Strike specifies that the damage is calculated before all others, including weapon properties such as shocking, precision damage like sneak attacks, and even your strength score. Its a bit wonky, but "your damage dice" refers to the damage dice of Vital Strike, which does not include precision damage etc.

So on a successful critical hit, you would maximize the amount of weapon damage dice plus multiplied static modifiers. Then add on all other damage dice rolled as normal.

As an example, Grognard is a lvl 6 Barbarian with a Flaming greataxe +1 and a strength of 20 while raging. He uses Furious Finish and crits, he deals 48(max[4d12]) +18(15str + 3magic) + 1d6 fire damage for a total of 66+1d6
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2018-05-30 at 02:50 PM.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

Q407 A supernatural Ability (Su) is a standard action to activate. A gold dragon's change shape ability is "as if using Polymorph" which would make it a SLA or (Sp), right? My DM ruled it would be a standard action to drop it. Is that correct? Keep in mind I use a homebrewed version that does let me use it unlimited times - on a red dragon - but only as Alter Self.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Spamalot in the Playground

A407a: It's supernatural. The spell reference is there so you know things like how it interacts with other shapeshifting effects, what happens to your equipment etc.
    A407b: Your GM is correct, it's a standard action every time you use it, even if there is no use limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q408:
    I have question about grapple. Is break a grapple consider as gapple check? Do you get grapple bonuses (From feat, traits and so on) to break it, or do the defending side gets bonuses on CMD (From feat, traits and so on)?

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Ettin in the Playground

A 408 Breaking a grapple is one of the options when you're in a grapple and you get all your normal bonuses for how skilled you are at grappling. CMB bonuses normally are included in CMD, so that should already be baked into the defender's score.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q408(2):
    But when I use Escape Artist to escape from grapple enemy won`t get bonuses on CMD, am I right (Becaus Escape Artist not a Combat Maneuver)?

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

A408(2):Correct.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ettin in the Playground

A 408(2) dispute Using Escape Artist doesn't nullify an enemy's CMD bonuses, it's just an alternative method for getting out of a grapple. The DC is the same, it's just beneficial to characters who don't have full BAB (like Rogues) to have the chance to break out of a bad spot.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2018-06-01 at 04:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    A 408(2) dispute Using Escape Artist doesn't nullify an enemy's CMD bonuses, it's just an alternative method for getting out of a grapple. The DC is the same, it's just beneficial to characters who don't have full BAB (like Rogues) to have the chance to break out of a bad spot.
    This is correct, I misread it. I thought you were asking about gaining the bonus for geappling to the escape artist check... you do not. But the grappler maintains his grapple bonus to cmd which is the dc set for escape artist.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Titan in the Playground

Q 409: I'm thinking of allowing industrial-revolution / wild-west level guns for an upcoming campaign, but this page only seems to go as far as muskets and shotguns. Are there any resources for more advanced firearms in pathfinder?

@V thanks!
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2018-06-03 at 03:45 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Ettin in the Playground

A 409: Yes, examples can be found in Rasputin Must Die! (or scroll down here: https://www.aonprd.com/EquipmentWeap...ciency=Firearm)

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Barbarian in the Playground

A409 addendum In case you (or someone else reading this thread) wants to go even more modern, there are also the technological firearms.

13. - Top - End - #1333

Imp

Q410

You can move 5 feet in any round when you don’t perform any other kind of movement. Taking this 5-foot step never provokes an attack of opportunity. You can’t take more than one 5-foot step in a round, and you can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round that you move any distance.
    Exactly what does and does not constitute "move any distance", and what does this imply for "in the same round as"? As far as I can tell, unlike the first term "when you don't perform any other kind of movement", the second highlighted part refers to having moved - meaning all change of position, regardless of source.

If I teleported as an immediate action before my turn, in the same round - do I get to make a 5ft step?
    What if someone else teleported me, using any action?
    What if I take a 5ft step, then teleport on my turn?
    What if I take a 5ft step off a cliff?
    What if someone tries to move me after I take my 5ft step, all in the same round?
    What if an ally readies a teleport - can i 5ft step before or after the teleport is triggered, or not at all?
    Last edited by kkplx; 2018-06-09 at 07:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

Q:411 I'm pretty sure the awnser is "No" but just in case. Is it possible to upgrade the Rod of the Python to be a +2 or higher weapon, and / or add some magical weapon special abilities?

A:410 sort of not sure about spesifics, but from what i'm aware, it mainly just means that you can't take your normal move action of moving 30ft and then take a five food step, or make a five foot step and then move 30ft. Teleporting would be a standard action since it's using a spell, so that would not apply. You could still use a move action to drink a potion, you just can't use a move action to move after taking a five food step.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2018-06-09 at 11:25 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 410

Teleportation doesn't count, because it's a way of changing your location without actually moving there.

Being moved against your will, including falling, also doesn't count because it's not you doing it.

Basically, when you take a 5-foot step, you cannot take any other action until the start of your next turn that involves moving from one square to another (even something like charging, since it requires movement).
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ettin in the Playground

A 411 I don't see a reason why you can't improve the Rod as a weapon; other than its ability to turn into a snake, it's a +1/+1 quarterstaff, like any other magic weapon. It's a little more circumspect if the snake will have the better bonus, though I think it's a good rule to only have one head of the staff affect it in snake form.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Titan in the Playground

Q:412 Having some trouble finding a solid answer on this so i'll ask here. If a monster has a natural resistance (I.e. Resistance to Acid 10) and you cast a Resist energy on it to give it Resist Acid 10/20/30 etc, then it either does nothing or takes the better bonus right? no stacking at all?

@V Good to know, thanks!
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2018-06-11 at 01:42 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1338

A412: The spell itself actually grants the monster ability (as shown via the glossary links on Paizo's PRD), so yes, the buffs would overlap and the subject would only get the better one.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ettin in the Playground

Q413: If I ready a move action, assuming the trigger happens, do I get to take that move action and my standard and move next turn? Or does that move action become my next turn?
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Q413: If I ready a move action, assuming the trigger happens, do I get to take that move action and my standard and move next turn? Or does that move action become my next turn?
    A413: When your readied action triggers, you take the action and are inserted into the initiative prior to whoever triggered your action. The readied action is the entirety of that turn, so you'll need to wait until your turn rolls around again to take a move+standard.
    Last edited by Elysiume; 2018-06-18 at 02:54 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1341

RangerGuy

Q414

For some reason, I don't remember where is the rule: When a trap rolls attack for several targets, do it rolls once and use the single roll against every AC or does the trap rolls attack for every AC?

EDIT

Never mind.

Traps that attack with arrows, sweeping blades, and other types of weaponry make normal attack rolls, with specific attack bonuses dictated by the trap’s design.
    Last edited by Fenryr; 2018-06-22 at 09:47 AM.
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

22. - Top - End - #1342

Imp

Q415

A creature with flyby attack manages to use its standard action to grapple a creature. Can it use its remaining movement to keep flying, despite grappling?

23. - Top - End - #1343

Imp

Q416

A creature starts the turn hidden from a foe, and has a +16 to stealth.
    Said creature then wishes to spring attack an opponent while getting all the bonuses of striking an enemy while invisible to them.
    a) Does the opponent get a perception roll to see the attack coming?
    b) If yes, what is the spring attacking creature's stealth bonus in this case?
    c) would moving only half its movement speed during the spring attack make a difference?

(why spring attack? Because once the creature has attacked, it needs to get away from the opponent without immediately getting AoO'd)
    Last edited by kkplx; 2018-06-23 at 05:41 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Ettin in the Playground

A 415 Only if it has Grab and then only if it takes a -20 to not be considered Grappled itself. Otherwise, when your flier grapples, it also becomes Grappled and then can't move.

A 416a Yes, though you also need to maintain cover or concealment unless you can Hide in Plain Sight or a similar ability.

A 416b +11, as you take a -5 penalty for moving more than half speed.

A 416c Yes, you have your full bonus of +16.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ettin in the Playground

Q417 Is a character with 4 damnation feats who becomes a lich an outsider or undead?

Q418 Is a reanimated outsider undead or an outsider?
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2018-06-27 at 07:58 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1346

A417: Liches are undead - I'm not sure where the "become an outsider" part would even come from. Nothing about damnation feats says you become an outsider.

A418:| You generally can't reanimate outsiders, because their bodies go poof when they die, leaving no corpse to target the common spells with. What method were you planning to use?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A417: Liches are undead - I'm not sure where the "become an outsider" part would even come from. Nothing about damnation feats says you become an outsider.

A418:| You generally can't reanimate outsiders, because their bodies go poof when they die, leaving no corpse to target the common spells with. What method were you planning to use?
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/damna...kin-damnation/

Four Damnation Feats: Your creature type changes to outsider (native). Additionally, choose one energy type to which your patron’s outsider subtype grants immunity or resistance. You gain immunity to that energy type.

Also, you answered 418.

Lich turns you undead and 4 damnation feats make you an outsider (native)

28. - Top - End - #1348

Quote Originally Posted by Qwanch View Post
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/damna...kin-damnation/

Four Damnation Feats: Your creature type changes to outsider (native). Additionally, choose one energy type to which your patron’s outsider subtype grants immunity or resistance. You gain immunity to that energy type.
    Ah, that's what confused me. What you describe is a function of the Fiendskin feat specifically, not Damnation feats in general.

As for what your type would end up as, the order of operations would probably depend on which came first, achieving Fiendskin and 3 other damnation feats, or becoming a lich.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwanch View Post
    Also, you answered 418.

Lich turns you undead and 4 damnation feats make you an outsider (native)
    Becoming a lich isn't "reanimating" - you never actually died. (The process itself is pretty vague, other than the one occult ritual, but it doesn't mention you dying.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 419 Does Mobile Gathering only work with walking or can I also fly at half speed while gathering power, via Wings of Air?
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

30. - Top - End - #1350

A419: It only says you can move, so any of your movement speeds should suffice.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy