New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Do players EVER read the stuff you prepare for them?

It quite frankly sounds like you're more interested in the creative process of worldbuilding an epic setting, than you are in figuring out what your players are interested in. Not that there is anything wrong in being interested in getting those creative juices flowing, but you picked the wrong place, wrong time, and maybe/probably the wrong audience.

I would suggest that you went a dig deeper into the creative process and retool it into a fantasy novel of some kind, and then ran some rather generic and perhaps even impromptu (short of note cards, no single item/character is allowed to fill more than 1/3th of a page), and only if you already know that the dedication levels are tall enough, unearth your setting.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yahzi View Post
    Yes.

You are not trying to play a game; you are trying to tell a story.

The proper medium for that is writing. I encourage you to check out places like RoyalRoad and FictionGrill, where new writers are breaking into the craft. I also recommend Critters on-line critique group once you get serious.

So learn to weave your world-building into character development, learn to lay out your plots through character's personalities and interactions, and write a novel.

Also, you can run a game on the side for kicks, because why not? Once your artistic energies are directed towards something more rewarding, you'll find the game a lot more fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    It quite frankly sounds like you're more interested in the creative process of worldbuilding an epic setting, than you are in figuring out what your players are interested in. Not that there is anything wrong in being interested in getting those creative juices flowing, but you picked the wrong place, wrong time, and maybe/probably the wrong audience.

I would suggest that you went a dig deeper into the creative process and retool it into a fantasy novel of some kind, and then ran some rather generic and perhaps even impromptu (short of note cards, no single item/character is allowed to fill more than 1/3th of a page), and only if you already know that the dedication levels are tall enough, unearth your setting.
    November is also national novel writing month and lots of people write about their D&D campaigns. there are even boards for worldbuilding and fantasy in addition to ones on more generalized subjects.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    Incidentally, that's the part that bugs me the most. I hate, hate when people act like they're all enthusiastic and then do absolutely nothing. If you actually cared about the game (not just being in *any* game but in *this* game), you'd remember the rules. If you actually liked that setting document, you'd have looked up the answer to your own question.
    I had players who always lost the maps I printed (in color) for them. They also never wrote down or remembered what that plot important artifacts an magic items did.

I am not a babysitter. I work to try and make a fun game. If someone doesn't want to play they don't have to. If they do want to play then they need to at least remember their character sheet, what the numbers mean, and at least try to read and remember a little bit about the game.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Albions_Angel View Post
    Was my last group unusual in reading the DMs material? Am I unique now in thinking it a good idea to actually start a game knowing a little about the world as though I grew up there? Do 5e players make background and then just wander off while the DM plays on their own? Because thats how it feels right now!

Am I a bad DM? Is that it? Should I give it all up? I feel like a bad DM. I mean, my players seem to be having fun. But my god is it hard work. I dont mean the DMing, I mean getting them to actually play. Or read. Or be interested in anything other than the session in front of them. And I can feel the fun slipping away. And all I can think is "maybe they only like it because its their first 3.5e game. Maybe a real 3.5e player would hate it. Maybe you shouldnt play any more."
    The answer is simple: Good players will, Bad players won't.

Your not a Bad DM. You should not give up. You might want to pick other players or go for their carefree play style.

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    This is not exactly right, but it's a typical thing you will see posted. The idea that somehow the DM is ''just doing their own thing'' and the poor players want something diffident that is ''just super deep and amazing beyond words.''

Though it seems very clear that you have very Casual Players: players that just want to show up and roll some dice and have fun. And that is it.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey all

So I read through everything. Its been very therapeutic. I wish I could have you all as players.

Session 3 is tomorrow. I know I promised logs of sessions 1 and 2 this week but I just havnt been feeling up to it. Its taken me 2 weeks to actually write this session, sigh. I just couldnt work up the energy to do it, something that rarely happens with me and D&D. I am going to see how tomorrow goes.

I wanted to clarify a few things. Now I have had time to cool off, I think I can explain myself better.

I am not mad that they arnt memorizing my player guide/lore. I would never expect them to. It is, however, clearly itemized and I refer to it often. I got upset mostly because the player who asked about the gods could have solved his own problem by just glancing at the guide and/or popping open the PHB.

My main issue is the lack of understanding of game rules. Yeah, 2 weeks was a bit short to know exactly what to do, but I was very clear before session 0, and then again before session 1 (a total of 4 weeks, not 2) that its more or less the same as 5e, but Combat, Skills and to a lesser extent, Spells are all very different and they needed to read over those chapters. I said I would be able to help in the first few encounters but as things ramped up, i would have my own problems and cant afford to be babysitting them through dice rolling while also trying to figure out my own options. And yet they have not done that.

Session 0, I made it explicitly clear that my games would be story driven (but not railroaded) and that they would be combat and mechanics heavy. In fact, i made that clear when I posted the advert with my university table top gaming society. They all responded to it and wanted to join. I gave plenty of time to back out. None did.

I just messaged them all. Last session they started at level 2, and I spent ages leveling them up because they hadnt bothered to try it themselves. I mentioned at the end that they were only a few hundred XP short of leveling to 3 and they should bring a prepared level up for this session. I said I would be happy to help before tomorrow, either in person or by FB, but that I cant afford the time to take a break and level up during the game itself.

Middle of this week I sent out a message - "Hey all, wanted to make sure everyone knows of the new venue, and see if everyone had leveled up ok/spent their gold." I just got all the replies back. All along the lines of "Oh, yeah, how much did we get again? How do I level up? We are doing it tomorrow right?"

I want to go because I want to see my session in action, see what they do, see where they go, see which of the paths they choose, or if they go off and do something else.

I dont want to go because I will spend all my time rolling dice for them, telling them what to do next and trying to tell them that alcoholic characters WILL incur penalties and isnt conducive to playing the game.

I will get high off their enjoyment, but I know that rather than going home and remembering all the good bits, Ill be left with Alulah forgetting she has barding on her dog again, so it didnt actually die, or Beorn trying to change direction mid way through a charge... again, or Archae thinking they have broken the game and are being sneaky and disruptive because they are putting a gold behind the bar which buys them lots and lots of ale, when in reality its just disruptive because it breaks the FLOW of the game, not the actual game... AGAIN. Maybe I will get lucky and only get Noah asking if he can use a feat from a banned book (or even a different system, yup, that happened) again.(Note, those are all character names, not real names).

Either I have a very different idea of what a "serious, combat based, story driven campaign" means, or else they straight up lied to me.

Oh, and the 6th player? The Paladin? He may or may not turn up. He just told me 5 minutes ago. Doesnt know if he can make it but hopes he can. Turns out adding a 6th level 3 character to a party gives the party a VASTLY different power level, especially at this low op. So I have to get up early tomorrow and write a SECOND encounter list which wont kill the party flat out. Just in case he doesnt turn up. Oh, and adjust the loot. And parts of the story. But I cant just turn round and ban him because he is a friend of one of the other players who asked me if he could join, and I thought I was getting a reliable person so I said yes.

Ok, signing off now, before I get worked up again. Wish me luck! Or a Terrasque. At least then I get to end it.

6. - Top - End - #36

My main issue is the lack of understanding of game rules.
    It's a lot of work, but you can help them out. It....might..pay off in the long run, and..might..be worth it.

First off print off all the rules they might need for quick reference. Luckily, this is 2016 so you can do this easy. And it does seem like your players might really need pictures of their characters. You should be able to find some online...or even better draw some yourself. Sally won't forget that the dog has barding on when she is looking at a picture of that all the time....(maybe...)

Then make a individual quick reference for each character too, tailored to each player. The rules in the book might be too ''odd'' for some people to understand....so re-writing them to be a bit more ''friendly'' might be a big help.

This....might..solve some rule problems.

You also might want to re-write the mechanics of your adventure. Don't just toss everything at them at once. You might want to do more ''learn to play'' type adventures, not full blown normal adventures. It will be a huge, slow and boring, burden on you...but it...might...be worth it. For example you might do the ''learn about grapple'' encounter where the goblins grapple the characters..a lot. Have them all get grappled and so forth over and over and over again..... It's possible that after an hour or two they might ''get it''.....

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Post Re: Do players EVER read the stuff you prepare for them?

So I have to get up early tomorrow and write a SECOND encounter list which wont kill the party flat out.
    Maybe this doesn't fit your GM style (it sounds like you do a lot of prep work, which I admire), but I think my GM style solves this problem a little. Rather than spending a lot of time on encounters, I spend time on the maps and the types of enemies on those maps. I don't usually determine exactly how many or how powerful each of those creatures are until it's time to roll initiative.

Instead (I play on roll 20, so prep is easier in some ways than it is on tabletop), I just leave a whole pile of tokens hidden on the "GM layer", and switch them to the "player vision layer" and when it's time to fight, I only reveal as many as I think I'll need. I'm not going to share the stats with the players (beyond which monsters are bloodied or in critical condition), so I can easily buff or nerf the encounter halfway through by just adding +/-2 or +/-4 to-hit and to damage on melee brutes, or step up/ down the op level on casters (eg. go from using magic missile to fog+fireball, or from magic missile to shocking grasp). I hide the rolls and modifiers, so it's never noticeable to the players.

In terms of loot and xp, I don't even bother with it mid-session. I'll tell them that they've found eg. 2014 gp, 370 sp, and 8999 cp, and a whole pile of gems, art objects, and scrolls, and they get that list posted to facebook/ the message board after the session. I don't actually know what is in that pile until I calculate it afterwards. Same with xp. All level-ups are done out-of-game, even if they get would have gotten enough to level during the session -- I award it all at the end of the session. Ain't nobody got time for dat.

They also do shopping outside of the session, unless it's something special or quest-related that they need to roleplay.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yahzi View Post
    Yes.

You are not trying to play a game; you are trying to tell a story.

The proper medium for that is writing. I encourage you to check out places like RoyalRoad and FictionGrill, where new writers are breaking into the craft. I also recommend Critters on-line critique group once you get serious.

So learn to weave your world-building into character development, learn to lay out your plots through character's personalities and interactions, and write a novel.

Also, you can run a game on the side for kicks, because why not? Once your artistic energies are directed towards something more rewarding, you'll find the game a lot more fun.
    This is a non sequitur. Simply because he enjoys world-building does not mean he's making a novel. Gaming is telling a story cooperatively - nothing we've read here suggests that Albions_Angel is trying to tell the story unilaterally as an author does. Railroading is bad, yes, and something to be guarded against, but worldbuilding has as much to do with railroading as oranges have to do with tax returns. Just because someone eats an orange doesn't make them an IRS agent.

Personally, I'd kill to have a DM who put any kind of effort at integrating their games into a published campaign setting, much less worked out one of their own.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

I'm terribly sorry your campaign has progressed this way.

Even as a player I find it maddeningly frustrating showing a fellow player how to shoot his longbow Every. Single. Round. Why do I have -your- bonuses and feats and saves memorized??... hypothetically speaking, of course.

Having to do it for every player there would probably result in a cosmic, world ending meteor.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

~snip~
    Honestly, as I said in my first post, act as a crutch for them and they will use you as a crutch. If you want them to stop relying on you, when they ask "How do I level up" isntead of explaining it to them say "It's in the phb". When you ask them for a roll, and they don't add their modifier, just take their unmodified roll and go with it. Trial by fire. My main question is this: Do they engage with the story? Do they move things forward when rules aren't an issue? I've found rules can be taught (or over time just slowly ingrained in their understanding of the game), but active player engagement with stories and NPCs are much harder to come across, and far harder to teach.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

That is most emphatically not reasonable. That's equivalent to forgetting ..."the mouse makes the pointer move"...
    My friend, if you have never worked in tech support, I suggest for your own sanity that you never do. Some people are only ever going to be able to play RPGs (or use computers) if someone stands over their shoulder their entire life translating their intention into action. I've met a few players who were more than adequate at making decisions in their characters style, talking with their voice, etc, but we had to play the game in the form of "You tell me what you want to do, I'll roll all the dice, I've already written down your character's stats in my notes."
    Some players think that RPGs should work like board games. You show up, the game starts, you play the game, it ends, you don't do anything with it until the next game night. Sometimes I've heard this called Beer-and-Pretzels Gaming. I've had perfectly acceptable games with these people: The worlds a little simpler, the tactical space is a little more straightforward, and I run things more on the rule of cool and montages. It's not how I'd like to run every game (Burning Wheel, FATE, and a few other games are just off the table because no one wants to play them as games on a level that's actually fun) but it's fine for say a Dungeon World Open-Table game.
    Non est salvatori salvator,
    neque defensori dominus,
    nec pater nec mater,
    nihil supernum.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    November is also national novel writing month and lots of people write about their D&D campaigns.
    Some people even publish them.

(Or at least the ones they wished they'd run, if only they'd had the right players.)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncymancer View Post
    My friend, if you have never worked in tech support, I suggest for your own sanity that you never do.
    Waaay ahead of you. Bunch of people at work are all like "Hey, I'm gonna quit this crappy job and go work at the call center!" and I'm like "hahahaha no." A year or two later they've gone mad, then the call center closes. Granted, not exactly sure what the call center did, but tech support is the least terrible of the options and I know full well I'm not a teacher or a troubleshooter. I give one explanation and that's it.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    sheer awesomeness

14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground

I mean, then why DM?
    [PF] HP Calculator - Fractional HP, now without math!
    [PF] Initiator NPC Templates - Quickly applied maneuvers for DMs.
    [PF] Initiator Balance Rule - A lightweight fix to balance casting and martial classes.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

So, I am having trouble with my players. All new to 3.5, all fairly inexperienced with 5e and D&D in general, they nevertheless signed up to join my campaign. I sent them everything they needed
    OK sounds like a good start.
    Am I unique now in thinking it a good idea to actually start a game knowing a little about the world as though I grew up there?
    Unusual? Unfortunately not.
    They dont read anything, they make no attempt
    Your surprised?
    wrote a fairly compact players guide to my world, including character creation and world background, house rules, geography and, most importantly for tonights rant, the pantheon of both the country they are playing in (a custom pantheon), and the rest of the world (listed where to find information on the gods).
    Geography and Pantheon? That hardly sounds compact, and actually sounds detrimental to the experience.
    My main issue is the lack of understanding of game rules.
    Yeah that can be problematic, they're so many of them and......
    Oh!
    You mean the players??!!
    When I started playing DnD the players weren't supposed to know all the rules:
    Spoiler: DM's eyes only
    Show
    You are a DM aren't you? Because
    Quote Originally Posted by page 8 of the 1979 DUNGEON MASTERS GUIDE
    As this book is the exclusive precinct of the DM, you must view any non-DM player possessing it as something less than worthy of honorable death.

OK, I think I perceive the problem. The "players" want to have fun exploring during play the fantastic world you created, whilst you want them to play act inhabitants from the start.
    Just stop that. It is contrary to how the most gloriously fun game ever created was originally played.
    But by Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Worvan, we can fix it!

Spoiler: some history
    Show

The first version of what became D&D was the rules system inside Dave Arneson's mind.

The rules are there because players want some idea of what the odds are first, and it's easier to choose from a catalog than write on a blank page.

When D&D started there was no mention of role-playing on the box!

While the 1977 Basic set did indeed say "FANTASY ROLE-PLAYING GAME"

The phrase "role-playing" was not part of the 1974 rules.

Notice that the cover says "Rules for Fantastic Medieval Wargames", not role-playing!
    I believe the first use of the term "role-playing game" was in a Tunnels & Trolls supplement that was "compatible with other Fantasy role-playing games", but early D&D didn't seem any more or less combat focused than the later RPG's I've played, (in fact considering how fragile PC''s were avoiding combat was often the goal!) so I wouldn't say it was anymore of a "Wargame". I would however say it was more an exploration game, and was less character focused.
    Frankly while role-playing is alright, it's the 'enjoying a "world" where the fantastic is fact' part that is much more interesting to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dungeons & Dragons,
    Book 1:
    Men & Magic
    These rules are strictly fantasy. Those wargamers who lack imagination, those who don't care for Burroughs'
    Martian adventures where John Carter is groping through black pits, who feel no thrill upon reading Howard's Conan saga, who do not enjoy the de Camp & Pratt fantasies or Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
    pitting their swords against evil sorceries will not be likely to find Dungeons & Dragons to their taste. But those whose imaginations know no bounds will find that these rules are the answer to their prayers. With this last
    bit of advice we invite you to read on and enjoy a "world" where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!
    E. Gary Gygax
    Tactical Studies Rules Editor
    1 November 1973
    Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
    While I'm ever grateful to Holmes for his work translating the game rules into English, perhaps he (an academic psychologist) is to be blamed for mis-labelling D&D with the abominable slander of "role-playing" (a psychological treatment technique).
    It's too late now to correct the misnomer, but D&D is, was, and should be a fantasy adventure game, not role-playing, a label no good has come from!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Gary Gygax on role-playing
    “If I want to do that,” he said, “I’ll join an amateur theater group.” (see here)
    While Dave Arneson later had the innovation of having his players "roll up" characters, for his "homebrew" of Chainmail:
    http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....ngeon-masters/

At first the players played themselves in a Fantastic medievalish world:
    http://swordsandstitchery.blogspot.c...thday.html?m=1

So a wargame was made into a setting exploration game, and then was later labelled a "role-playing" game.
    While it's still possible to play D&D as the wargame it once was, I'm glad that the game escaped the "wargame" appellation, which makes the game more attractive to those of us with 'less of an interest in tactics, however I argue (to beat a dead horse), that the labeling of D&D as a role-playing game is hurtful ("Your not role-playing, your roll-playing! etc.).
    Just label D&D an adventure game, and people can be spared all the hand-wringing, and insults when acting and writing talents don't measure up to "role-playing" standards, and instead we can have fun exploring a fantastic world together.
    Please?

Start with some basics, explain verbally that Dungeons & Dragons is a table-top adventure game in which you control the action attempts of adventurers exploring a fantastic world.

Tell them the DM describes a scene.

Players say what actions their PC attempts.

DM makes up a percentage chance of success.

Player rolls dice.

Then the DM narrates the results.

That's the game.

You will be the eyes and ears of the PC's.
    Tell the players what their PC's perceive including what the PC's think the odds are. Ask them what the actions of the PC'S are like this:
    "Fafhrd (use the PC's name, not the players name, this is to help immersion) you see the Witch King approach what do you do?".

Further explain that the PC's whose action attempts the players control have hit points, and when the PC's suffer damage, the PC's lose hit points. When the PC's have no hit points left, their PC's die. Stress this.
    Then explain ability scores.
    Start with Strength. Explain that most people have average Strength of 10, and that one in a thousand are so strong that they have a Strength of 18, and that one in a thousand are so weak that they have a Strength of 3.
    Explain the other "abilities" likewise.

Next the PC's backgrounds.
    Somehow (Worldbuild a reason by Crom!) the PC's speak the language of the region the adventure starts in, but they come from somewhere else, "a small village", "the forest", :the Hall of the Mountain King", together you can add details later.

What gods do the PC's worship?
    None.
    They worship a goddess who goes by many names:
    Tyche, Fortuna, Dame Fortune, The "Lady" (luck). Her holy symbol is dice used as a necklace, and her worshippers hymn is "please, oh please, oh please! ".

Introduce the rest of the Pantheon in play, through what the PC's see and hear. Likewise the Geography.

What brings them to the adventure site?

Treasure!

I'd have to say that I would like to start the campaign In medias res, by the DM telling us something like:
    Spoiler: set up from 77 years ago!
    Show
    “In the Year of the Behemoth, the Month of the Hedgehog, The Day of the Toad."

"Satisfied that they your near the goal of your quest, you think of how you had slit the interesting-looking vellum page from the ancient book on architecture that reposed in the library of the rapacious and overbearing Lord Rannarsh."

“It was a page of thick vellum, ancient and curiously greenish. Three edges were frayed and worn; the fourth showed a clean and recent cut. It was inscribed with the intricate hieroglyphs of Lankhmarian writing, done in the black ink of the squid. Reading":
    "Let kings stack their treasure houses ceiling-high, and merchants burst their vaults with hoarded coin, and fools envy them. I have a treasure that outvalues theirs. A diamond as big as a man's skull. Twelve rubies each as big as the skull of a cat. Seventeen emeralds each as big as the skull of a mole. And certain rods of crystal and bars of orichalcum. Let Overlords swagger jewel-bedecked and queens load themselves with gems, and fools adore them. I have a treasure that will outlast theirs. A treasure house have I builded for it in the far southern forest, where the two hills hump double, like sleeping camels, a day's ride beyond the village of Soreev.

"A great treasure house with a high tower, fit for a king's dwelling—yet no king may dwell there. Immediately below the keystone of the chief dome my treasure lies hid, eternal as the glittering stars. It will outlast me and my name,"

Spoiler: set up from 39 years ago!
    Show
    100 years ago the sorcerer Zenopus built a tower on the low hills overlooking Portown. The tower was close to the sea cliffs west of the town and, appropriately, next door to the graveyard.
    Rumor has it that the magician made extensive cellars and tunnels underneath the tower. The town is located on the ruins of a much older city of doubtful history and Zenopus was said to excavate in his cellars in search of ancient treasures.

Fifty years ago, on a cold wintry night, the wizard's tower was suddenly engulfed in green flame. Several of his human servants escaped the holocaust, saying their rnaster had been destroyed by some powerful force he had unleashed in the depths of the tower.
    Needless to say the tower stood vacant fora while afterthis, but then the neighbors and the night watchmen comploined that ghostly blue lights appeared in the windows at night, that ghastly screams could be heard emanating from the tower ot all hours, and goblin figures could be seen dancina on the tower roof in the moonlight. Finally the authorities had a catapult rolled through the streets of the town and the tower was battered to rubble. This stopped the hauntings but the townsfolk continue to shun the ruins. The entrance to the old dungeons can be easily located as a flight of broad stone steps leading down into darkness, but the few adventurous souls who hove descended into crypts below the ruin have either reported only empty stone corridors or have failed to return at all.
    Other magic-users have moved into the town but the site of the old tower remains abandoned.
    Whispered tales are told of fabulous treasure and unspeakable monsters in the underground passages below the hilltop, and the story tellers are always careful to point out that the reputed dungeons lie in close proximity to the foundations of the older, pre-human city, to the graveyard, and to the sea.
    Portown is a small but busy city 'linking the caravan routes from the south to the merchant ships that dare the pirate-infested waters of the Northern Sea. Humans and non-humans from all over the globe meet here.
    At he Green Dragon Inn, the players of the game gather their characters for an assault on the fabulous passages beneath the ruined Wizard's tower.

To avoid "railroading" don't drop the PC's into a situation that is lame with their having no choice in the matter, whereas in treasure seeking examples, the DM has dropped the PC's into a situation that is AWESOME! so of course the players would choose it.

Don't forget to have someone say:

"When do we get there?"
    "Real soon!"

"Demon Dogs!"

"What is best in life?

"This goes to eleven".

"What about you centurion, do you think there's anything funny?"

"A shrubbery!"

Your welcome.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

16. - Top - End - #46

SamuraiGuy

I'm going to share my story. I have been Gming for 27 years and because I moved between countries I had to leave my group which I have been playing with for 18 years behind.

Through a facebook page centered on RPG I managed to round up 5 players of which of 3 had never played before and 2 were wet behind the ears and had played less than a year. Suddenly I felt old, some of them weren't even a twinkle in their fathers eye when I started playing.

First we met over a cup of coffee and discussed what we wanted to play. I sent them short background info around a a page long including an adventure primer that started the campaign. I explained the rules in simplest term possible (like you roll a d20 and add some numbers).

Then I peppered them constantly for a short character background and voila suddenly we had a magically talented smuggler's son whose twin sister was missing (Rouge/Wizard). A silver tounged merchant son whose family caravans where constantly being raided (Bard). An elven shield maiden raised by foster parents that joined a mercenary band while looking for her real father (fighter). An monster slayer that vowed to protect humanity, taken in by a monestary after his family was killed by monsters (Monk) and an avenging assassin that was half mad after being tortured for heresy and was going after his enemies punisher style.

So when we met up for session 0 we just met, rolled up characters where I helped them with all the rules and we were ready to rock in session 1. No hefty background reading just action, intrigue and adventure.

I made a cheat sheet for combat/skill rules for the players and now 15 sessions later they have gone through rather complicated storylines and are starting to master combat and turning out to be a nice bunch to play a game with. Granted I've shown them a lot of patience and explained certain rules a time and again but they have given me so much in return: The youthful exuberance of new players discovering this great hobby, and it's so fun watch how they react so differently and more realistically to encounter and events than my old "jaded" veteran group.

I help them by keeping a campaign journal and cast of characters so they are always up to date. By keeping them engaged in what is happening in game, they often go back to the campaign journal to puzzle things togehter as I run rather complicated games and they love finding the clues I've left for them to discover. Of course I sneak in background information and small pieces of fluff into the journal and especially cast of characters where I include local legends and rumours about the people the meet and interact with.

So what I'm coming to is give them time and patience. Great players aren't born they are forged in the great crucible of adventure.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Do players EVER read the stuff you prepare for them?

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    I'm going to share ....
    Can you be my DM?
    Please?
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"

18. - Top - End - #48

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Can you be my DM?
    Please?
    I actually have a spot at my table but unluckily I am in Norway :)

19. - Top - End - #49

Planetar

-snip-
    I have this whole Gandalf vibe coming from you now
    How did you do a search on Facebook for this? I'm interested for my own DM reasons

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually have a spot at my table but unluckily I am in Norway :)
    Oh, a fellow Norwegian? Where in Norway do you live?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Session 0, I made it explicitly clear that my games would be story driven (but not railroaded) and that they would be combat and mechanics heavy.*
    Both?
    I got upset mostly because the player who asked about the gods could have solved his own problem by just glancing at the guide and/or popping open the PHB.
    I want to go because I want to see my session in action, see what they do, see where they go, see which of the paths they choose, or if they go off and do something else.

I dont want to go because I will spend all my time rolling dice for them, telling them what to do next and trying to tell them that alcoholic characters WILL incur penalties and isnt conducive to playing the game
    So your hoping for the players to have rules knowledge, setting knowledge, [I][b]and for them to decide on actions that it makes sense for their characters to do? Brother, in my experience your lucky if you get just one item on your wishlist.
    Something that has bewildered me, is that so many DM's are suprised by, and voice complaints that their players either don't roleplay, and just treat their PC's as a collection of "stats", or that they instead are ignorant of what the "stats" on the character sheet mean.
    Get over it guys, new players are especially unlikely to both decide on PC actions based on role-playing instead of mechanical advantages, and to be able to spit out the information based on rules minutiae (the PC's don't know what a "saving throw" is). If you as the DM of the game can't be bothered to handle the modifiers either, than don't be surprised if the players don't, or that you get "rules lawyered".
    Decide which you want, a game that's more "roleplaying", or more like a traditional rules heavy wargame, and stress that, and truthfully tell the players which you emphasis. If you want both heavy "roleplaying", and deep rules knowledge, you'll likely get neither (and for brand new players don't expect the players to have expert rules knowledge and do "in-character" based actions ever).
    If you do ever get a player who both roleplays and knows the rules well, then please take them under your wing, and mentor them into being a DM.
    Thanks
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history

22. - Top - End - #52

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manyasone View Post
    I have this whole Gandalf vibe coming from you now
    How did you do a search on Facebook for this? I'm interested for my own DM reasons
    Well the roleplaying community in Norway was smart enough to make a facebook group which today has over 2000 members and is growing. This makes it much easier to recruit players and put together groups, you just post an ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordaedil View Post
    Oh, a fellow Norwegian? Where in Norway do you live?
    Actually I'm Icelandic and living in Drammen :)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually I'm Icelandic and living in Drammen :)
    Neat, I live across the fjord to the east, in Drøbak.

Sadly, that's just a little too far out for me. ;(

Well the roleplaying community in Norway was smart enough to make a facebook group which today has over 2000 members and is growing. This makes it much easier to recruit players and put together groups, you just post an ad.
    I didn't realize there was a use to facebook. Still a little anxious about joining such a thing though.

24. - Top - End - #54

ClericGuy

Before I tell you the DM perspective here, let me just give you my perspective as a player. Honestly, I _hate_ when the DM gives me a textbook to memorize for the campaign. Honestly, if there isn't a direct bearing on the story, my character wouldn't memorize the full history of the Archduke of Nowhere's 3rd cousin's nickname. Even when it comes to the pantheon, it probably won't make a lick of difference to the average NPC or PC, except in cases like clerics or wizards.

However, as a DM? I still don't just hand out world building packets. There is no way that a non-formalized educational system in a Feudal to Renaissance society would ever be able to educate poor farm boys in the kingdom. For characters who might have studied history, if there's an important detail of world building they need to know, I let them make the Knowledge (History) check to see if they would know it.

However, just because the PCs wouldn't know it doesn't mean that you, the DM, shouldn't. Keeping a timeline or brief world history in front of you might help you to let players in on important facts about the world, and letting them figure stuff out on their own will help their immersion in the world.

It's the Dark Souls approach. Let your players interact with the world however they want, don't force them to interact how you want them to.

EDIT TO ADD: As to your complaint about players nor bothering to learn the rules of the game, I recommend letting them, again, learn through experience. If they want to do an action, tell them to make a skill check. If they ask how, just ask them what the rulebook says. This will force them to interface with the rules and more accurately integrate how the rules work into their frame of reference.

For example: They state they're making an attack. If they ask how, just ask them what the book says. They will learn faster that way when they realize that they can self- educate.
    Last edited by GreyBlack; 2016-11-18 at 03:12 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In a mountain after a cave-in.

MY STATS OFF THE ELITE ARRAY:
    Str: 14 Dex: 8 Con: 12 Int: 15 Wis: 10 Cha: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock_Summoner View Post
    I wish I had you for a DM...
    Please critique my 5e Beguiler Wizard subclass!

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...izard-Subclass

25. - Top - End - #55

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mordaedil View Post
    Neat, I live across the fjord to the east, in Drøbak.

Sadly, that's just a little too far out for me. ;(

I didn't realize there was a use to facebook. Still a little anxious about joining such a thing though.

Actullay it's a nice group where people talk about RPG related things and look for people to play with, so social media in this case is a boon. Last time I was looking for a group in Norway (in 2001) I had to respond to a flier in a gaming store in Oslo.

When you decide to join here is the link :) If you don't like it then you can always quit it

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rollespill.info/

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

I've played in Pathfinder adventure paths where the player's guide specifically states 'Bring cold iron weapons'. Of course I'm the only player at the table who read the guide and brought a cold iron weapon so basically we have to free-action pass the weapon between everyone to hit the demon/fey/whatever.

27. - Top - End - #57

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Jader7777 View Post
    I've played in Pathfinder adventure paths where the player's guide specifically states 'Bring cold iron weapons'. Of course I'm the only player at the table who read the guide and brought a cold iron weapon so basically we have to free-action pass the weapon between everyone to hit the demon/fey/whatever.
    Free action pass? Lenient DM...I'd let my players sweat it out. The AP player guides are there for a reason. If you agree to play a Paizo AP or a third party AP with a player guide you agree to immerse yourself in that story, not complain that it isn't a sandbox or that you are being railroaded. In an AP, railroads will sometimes happen, it's inevitable. Don't like that, look for a sandbox game. It's called a "Gentleman's Agreement" where I come from