New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default New Character for Evil Campaign

So here's the situation; my character just got decapitated by the GM rolling 3 crits and I have to roll up a new character. It is for the Hell's Vengeance Campaign, and the party so far has a Human Tripping Fighter with Combat Reflexes, a Reincarnated Elf Witch(was a Damphir), and a Goblin Assassin Rogue who is deadly with a sap. Now my previous character was an Antipaladin and the entire campaign is filled with paladins and other heavenly like outsiders with DR that becomes hard to penetrate without a divine caster. I feel like I need to fill in the role of tank. The problem is, is that healing is scarce, also my GM will only allow the following Books: (Core/APG/Inner Sea Gods/UM/UC/ARG/UE/Inner Sea World/Cheliax Empire of Devils) I also must be Evil Aligned so I need to play something that fits into the lore.

So my character will be level 6 playing until level 17 & my Stat array is: (18/14/13/12/10/8)without +2 I'm human and I either want to play an Inquisitor or an Anti-Paladin focused on Intimidating the opponents or Kinslayer since there will be a lot of humans in the Campaign. So I need advice on what would be a good character build for this campaign? Please leave your thoughts below

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: New Character for Evil Campaign

I'm playing HV as a fighter/HellKnight, human, focusing on intimidation.
    Using this: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/damnation-feats [all of them]
    We are at level 10 and it is difficult to overcome RD, most of the time. I recommend that you use a two-handed weapon.

Sorry for my grammar, i dont speak english.
    Last edited by Drezius; 2016-11-27 at 06:00 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Pathfinder, right?

Well so far you have a...

Tripper = semi Area control, Semi-tank
    Assassin = Single Target high Damage
    Witch = ?? Likely debuff, some area control

And you're looking for something with some healing capability and tanking. Sure. Makes sense.
    Anti-paladin and Inquisitor make sense then, but I think you have other options, if you would want them...
    Edit: That said, I just re-read your post and you said you wanted AP or Inq, so consider these bonus options

Consider...
    Scarred Witch Doctor -- gives you some more casting/healing, but also another melee-capable character for flanking.

Summoner -- gives you disposable tanks plus the flexibility of casting.

Cleric -- As per summoner, but with better healing.

Druid -- Your animal companion is your tank, you are your healing!
    Last edited by Demidos; 2016-11-27 at 11:34 AM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

GM says: No Summoners! Also the Witch is sort of the healer even though she was going for undead summoning witch but she died and got reincarnated as an elf. The Campaign is full of Clerics and Paladins and Inquisitors of Iomedae as well as Outsiders and Celestials so there is a lot of Prot from Evil, Smite, and DR/SR against evil and we have to be evil at least, that's why I want either Inquisitor or Anti-Paladin to bypass the enemies DR, SR, and give my allies either the Aura of Vengeance or use some teamwork feat to do the same with Inquisitors if I can, I've never played an inquisitor before.

Cleric/Hellknight is also options I might consider though.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ARG is on the table.

I would build a "better" Race (given the AP some devilish influence is all you need to justify it).

Ask the DM how many pts you can get. With your array a LOT can be done. ;)

As for the Class: Why not make it simple and go Cleric?
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    ARG is on the table.

I would build a "better" Race (given the AP some devilish influence is all you need to justify it).

Ask the DM how many pts you can get. With your array a LOT can be done. ;)

As for the Class: Why not make it simple and go Cleric?
    Unfortunately I can only select a race not build one. As for Clerics I never played one so I don't know how they'll do for overcoming DR & SR the encounters possesses.
    Last edited by Silver Raven; 2016-11-27 at 02:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

No Advanced Class Guide? Because a Warpriest is a solid option for tanking, plus you get access to cure spells.

Don't forget to get a wand of Cure Light / Moderate Wounds, this way you don't have to waste precious spell slots on cure spells.

This is a great suggestion. I must sugges it to our Warpriest.

Another good spell to have memorised is Protection from Good.
    Last edited by DedWards; 2016-11-28 at 02:27 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DedWards View Post
    No Advanced Class Guide? Because a Warpriest is a solid option for tanking, plus you get access to cure spells.

Don't forget to get a wand of Cure Light / Moderate Wounds, this way you don't have to waste precious spell slots on cure spells.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/align-weapon

This is a great suggestion. I must suggest it to our Warpriest.

Another good spell to have memorized is Protection from Good.
    You may be right ACG was on the table at the start but hes not used it since so I'll ask my GM, but for now I'll plan out a Human or Dwarf Inquisitor.

So here's the stat arrangement I want for the Inquisitor
    STR-18
    DEX-14(+1/lvl4)
    CON-14(+2/Dwarf)
    INT-10
    WIS-16(+2/Dwarf)
    CHA-6(-2/Dwarf)

And I'm gonna see if he'll let me have the Horseman of War as my Deity.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Raven View Post
    And I'm gonna see if he'll let me have the Horseman of War as my Deity.
    The campaign I'm in has us all following Asmodeus (for plot reasons). His Favoured weapon is the Mace, not a terrible weapon for a Dwarf; and he has some interesting domains: Evil, Fire, Law, Magic, and Trickery.

Through my research into stuff for my current character, mine also died recently so I needed to make a replacement, I found some interesting alignment based items:

Armor made from Angelskin can "hide" your alignment, provided you've got 10 or less HD. (Makes you detect as good)

There's also the Ring of Mind Shielding, which not only makes you immune to alignment detection, but also immune to the detect thoughts and discern lies spells.

As an Inquisitor, you also have access to Undetectable Alignment as a level 2 spell.
    You cannot kill that which is already Ded

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Advanced Race Guide - for the alternate racial traits, but not for a race builder, is a very common character build allowance.

I'd personally take a look at 'Anti-Paladin x / Oracle x', starting Paladin to 2nd, then getting enough of the lower level utility/buff Oracle spells and then back to Paladin.

You stated Inquisitor as a preferred option, so perhaps...
    Anti-Paladin 2 > Inquisitor X > Anti-Paladin X
    Mix and match, depending on how much of a tank or caster you want to be.

Both classes at level 2, get a lot.
    The Inquisitor uses WIS and the Anti-Paladin uses CHA.

You could go STR/WIS, with some CHA, wearing armor and a shield.
    That's probably the safer route.

But DEX/WIS (weapon finesse), with some CHA and light armor can be decent too.
    Shield of Faith (deflection) and Barkskin/Ironskin (natural armor) buffs will get your AC to a decently high range, either way.
    That will benefit saving throws a bit more.

I like the Smite for the damage reduction.
    And the CHA to saves helps a lot.

If you can figure a way to count as Undead...
    Then the 'Touch of Corruption' is a free xd6 self heal, as a Swift, while you tank away.
    Last edited by Ualaa; 2016-11-28 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Messed up xx/xx stat recommendation
    ~ Ualaa

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
    I'd personally take a look at 'Anti-Paladin x / Oracle x', starting Paladin to 2nd, then getting enough of the lower level utility/buff Oracle spells and then back to Paladin.

You stated Inquisitor as a preferred option, so perhaps...
    Anti-Paladin 2 > Inquisitor X > Anti-Paladin X
    Mix and match, depending on how much of a tank or caster you want to be.
    I've come to love the trait Magical Knack for classes that start thier casting late (Paladin, Ranger) or for Multiclassing. If you do what Ualaa suggests, you should consider Magical Knack.

I've taken it for my current character, even though my only casting class is a 1 level dip into Divine Hunter, an archetype for the hybrid class Hunter that allows you to be any alignment, which I did to get Gravity Bow (my main weapon is a Heavy Repeating Crossbow). The way I understand it, Magical Knack doesn't raise the DC of my spells, but rather increases the duration, range, etc; which, in my case, allows my Gravity Bow to last longer per casting.
    Last edited by DedWards; 2016-11-28 at 08:09 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

frown Re: New Character for Evil Campaign

So I asked the DM and he doesn't own the ACG book so no war priest, in the end I rolled up an inquisitor of Asmodeus. here's a look at my Inquisitor

level 7 LE Female Dwarf Inquisitor

Name:Helga Volskya

HP:57

STR:18
    DEX:14
    CON:14
    INT:10
    WIS:16
    CHA:6

Domain: Trickery(Might change this later)

Gear:
    Heavy Mace
    +2 Defiant Heavy Steel Shield(+2 AC against Undead and Humans)
    Chain mail
    Sap
    MWK Comp Longbow

Feats:
    Power Attack
    Toughness
    Cleave
    Quick Draw

Spells:
    Brand,Detect Magic,Guidance,Read Magic, Sift,Stabilize,Wrath, Cure Light Wounds, Divine Favor, Protect from Good,Shield of Faith,Litany of defense, Sacred Bond Spirit Weapon, Undetectable Align.,Litany of Warding, Magic Vestment.

mainly went for buffing my self and using sacred bond so that I can heal the witch from 40ft with cure, I got to run her and I have to say that she can be quite tanky with a total of 29 AC and I have a lot of Swift and Free actions so my action economy is pretty solid too, and with Judgements and Bane I can do decent damage I will change out Magic Vestment for Cure Mod next level as Helga also got a +1 Chain mail and a Cloak of Resist.

Any suggestions on how to improve this build? Going try and see if I can take this character to 17... the key word there is try, as crits happen... I sort of feel like Helga is a crazy prepared Inquisitor sort of like Batman...except evil!
    Last edited by Silver Raven; 2016-12-04 at 06:10 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfortunately I can only select a race not build one. As for Clerics I never played one so I don't know how they'll do for overcoming DR & SR the encounters possesses.
    Hmmm, there still are alternate Race Features to think about, but allowing ARG and saying "no building races" is a bit like allowing Tome of Magic and saying "but only the Truenamer is avaliable to play" ^^

As for the Build stub: Why toughness?

And I`d still say playing a full fledged Cleric might be "better", if not necessarily more fluffy ;)
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Domain: Trickery(Might change this later)
    Reading through the Domains of Asmodius. While Trickery is cool, one of the others might suit your melee build better. These are the two I'd consider:

Evil Domain Powers:

Touch of Evil: There is no save for this, and the sickened creature counts as good for the purpose of Evil spells.

Scythe of Evil: (8th level) gives your weapon the unholy special weapon quality.

Magic Domain Powers:

Hand of the Acolyte: Throw your melee weapon up to 30ft as a ranged attack, then it returns to your hand immediately. (Reminds me of Captain America and his shield).

Dispelling Touch: (8th level) Targeted dispel magic as a melee touch attack. Potentially useful, since you're melee.
    Last edited by DedWards; 2016-12-04 at 04:41 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I picked toughness because I had low hp rolls, should I switch it out for something at later levels? also I will try to swap my domains when we have down time in the campaign which is coming up soon and pick up evil domain.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hi guys.

I'm the DM for Drezius in our Hell's Vengeance, so, may I ask you where your are on the campaign? Also, a little more details of your party members can give us tips for what you all will need (Or, at a minimum, will thank [asmo]gods for having).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

I picked toughness because I had low hp rolls, should I switch it out for something at later levels? also I will try to swap my domains when we have down time in the campaign which is coming up soon and pick up evil domain.
    Not sure if I'd swap it out. Swapping it out will make you lose a chunk of HP.
    You cannot kill that which is already Ded