New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules IX: 1d3 Dysfunctions from the 8th Level List

Doesn't that run aground of the rules of Line of Effect? I thought LoE needed a 1-foot aperture for the effect to pass through. Is that a thing in 3.5?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    While a fireball can score a critical hit in this circumstance, it doesn't actually do anything - the effect of a normal hit is the fireball passing through the narrow opening, which can't really be doubled.
    That's not what a critical hit means:

A critical hit means that you roll your damage more than once, with all your usual bonuses, and add the rolls together.
    It multiplies the damage dealt by the attack, not the effect of the attack hitting.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    That's not what a critical hit means:

It multiplies the damage dealt by the attack, not the effect of the attack hitting.
    Yes, but the attack roll that enables the fireball bead to pass through a small opening doesn't do any damage. So a critical would make it do twice nothing, which is still nothing.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but the attack roll that enables the fireball bead to pass through a small opening doesn't do any damage. So a critical would make it do twice nothing, which is still nothing.
    On a critical hit, the virtual fireball particle behaves like two separate wave-forms, and interferes with itself.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Banned

No attack roll ever deals any damage. The attack, however, deals 1d6 points of fire damage per level, which is rolled twice and combined in case of a critical hit. A critical hit mutliplies the damage dealt by the attack, not by the attack roll, because attacks, not attack rolls, deal damage. It's not the attack roll which scores a critical hit, but the attack itself:

"A spell that requires an attack roll can score a critical hit. A spell attack that requires no attack roll cannot score a critical hit."
    "If an attack that causes ability damage scores a critical hit..."

The damage which is doubled is the damage the attack deals, not the damage that is dealt as a direct consequence of the attack roll succeeding.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

An archer critically hits a puddle of oil to set it on fire with a flaming arrow. Does it deal 1d3 or 2d3 fire damage per round?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    An archer critically hits a puddle of oil to set it on fire with a flaming arrow. Does it deal 1d3 or 2d3 fire damage per round?
    Ooo ooo use a Flaming Burst arrow.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Banned

The oil being on fire is not an attack. Fireball is an attack.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

The oil being on fire is not an attack. Fireball is an attack.
    Setting the oil on fire did require an attack roll.

Getting the fireball inside an arrow slit did require an attack roll -- but the fireball would cause damage to an area even if you missed the "attack", since the only thing the attack roll determines is the location of detonation. The damage isn't determined by the attack, merely the area of effect. On a crit, should ~two~ areas be affected?

If determining the fireball's location counts as an attack, how is setting the oil on fire not an attack?

10. - Top - End - #640
    Banned

1d3, because puddles of oil are not subject to critical hits.

Serious answer: 1d3, because the attack is critically hitting, not the oil. Dealing 1d3 points of fire damage per round is a property of oil, not part of the attack you're making with the arrow.

If, however, you attempted to use a meteor swarm to set the oil on fire, and the oil were somehow subject to critical hits, then the fire damage would be multiplied, not just the bludgeoning damage.

EDIT: I didn't realise I sent the first version of this - stupid internet - but this stands as my response.

EDIT EDIT: To be clear, all the critical hit does is double the damage from the attack. I have no idea where you're getting "Two areas are affected" from.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2017-10-19 at 02:29 PM.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ettin in the Playground

And if I instead set it on fire with Scorching Ray? Then a spell involving an attack roll is doing the critical-ing
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

12. - Top - End - #642
    Banned

And if I instead set it on fire with Scorching Ray? Then a spell involving an attack roll is doing the critical-ing
    Yes, so your spell will deal double damage to the oil, namely 8d6. The oil, on the other hand, will not hit anyone at all, let alone critically, and therefore will deal normal damage with its burning effect. Similarly, a creature taking an attack of opportunity against you will not deal double damage (unless they hit critically) because neither of those is damage dealt by the spell, even if they are at length things which have come to pass due to the spell. The oil catching on fire is also one of many "Effects of the attack roll", incidentally, because if you'd missed then the oil wouldn't have caught on fire either. On the other hand, if you take the "Effects of the attack roll are doubled" line - which seems to have been made up on the spot - then the oil will catch on fire and catch on fire.

Similarly, if you use meteor swarm to set the oil on fire, the meteor in question will deal double damage to everyone - 4d6 bludgeoning and 12d6 fire to the oil and 12d6 fire to everyone else - and the oil will still only do damage once.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2017-10-19 at 03:22 PM.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Troll in the Playground

Vampire clerics gain the ability to rebuke undead but if they do, they both rebuke themselves because they're the closest undead and recoil from themselves because a vampire recoils from any creature presenting a holy symbol which is necessary to rebuke undead.
    Well then it's probably in the vampire's best interest to invest in alternative uses for their turning attempts or simply stick to bolstering undead, and they do not have to recoil because turning undead merely requires presenting your holy symbol and vampires only recoil from strongly presented holy symbols

Alternatively even if the same procedure is required for two different actions they are still different actions. Just because holding a vampire at bay and turning undead are both standard actions that require the use of a holy symbol they are separate and distinct actions and doing one is not the same as doing the other.
    Last edited by PallentisLunam; 2017-10-19 at 10:51 PM.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Banned

Irrespective of whether presenting your holy symbol is a different type of action from strongly presenting your holy symbol...

Vargouilles are weird: they can turn all manner of creatures (including other vargouilles?) into vargouilles via a transformation which makes no sense if the target isn't vaguely humanoid or at least mammalian.

Apostles of peace may wear, but not own, magic items that protect them because they all have Vows of Poverty.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

Apostles of peace may wear, but not own, magic items that protect them because they all have Vows of Poverty.
    Now I'm picturing a chain-gang composed of enslaved Apostles of Peace.

Magical chains, of course. The chains are worn, but not owned.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

If a "lack of a rule covering this" counts as a dysfunction, there aren't actually any rules covering powerful waves. Of the "crashing over the coast and into you" kind. Not even in Stormwrack. Nada. Apparently, tsunamis don't exist in D&D.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Banned

Talismans of pure good and ultimate evil have 6 charges but don't expend any to function.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    If a "lack of a rule covering this" counts as a dysfunction, there aren't actually any rules covering powerful waves. Of the "crashing over the coast and into you" kind. Not even in Stormwrack. Nada. Apparently, tsunamis don't exist in D&D.
    There's the druid spell...

Maybe all tsunamis are created by awakened shark druids?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

19. - Top - End - #649
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    There's the druid spell...

Maybe all tsunamis are created by awakened shark druids?
    This guy?

Last edited by Luccan; 2017-10-24 at 03:51 AM.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Titan in the Playground

A Caryatid Column (FF, p.30) will automatically break any non-magical melee weapon used to attack it. A level 3 (or lower) Monk's unarmed strike is both a natural and manufactured melee weapon. If a level 3 (or lower) Monk attacks a Caryatid Column, the Monk's unarmed strike automatically breaks and becomes useless.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Troll in the Playground

I'm away from my books atm so working off the SRD, ignore this if the wording is different, but it would appear that a barbarian with the Whirling Frenzy ACF doesn't actually get a bonus to their AC while frenzied.

Evidence:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A barbarian with this variant form of rage doesn't gain the normal bonuses when he enters a rage. Instead, when a barbarian with whirling frenzy enters a rage, he temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength and a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves... Whirling frenzy is otherwise identical to the standard barbarian rage in all other ways.
    Emphasis mine. However, a standard barbarian's -2 to AC while raging is not a bonus, so it would be retained meaning that a frenzy barbarian's AC has a net 0 modifier while frenzied.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PallentisLunam View Post
    I'm away from my books atm so working off the SRD, ignore this if the wording is different, but it would appear that a barbarian with the Whirling Frenzy ACF doesn't actually get a bonus to their AC while frenzied.

Evidence:

Emphasis mine. However, a standard barbarian's -2 to AC while raging is not a bonus, so it would be retained meaning that a frenzy barbarian's AC has a net 0 modifier while frenzied.
    Hmm, I believe you're right.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    A Caryatid Column (FF, p.30) will automatically break any non-magical melee weapon used to attack it. A level 3 (or lower) Monk's unarmed strike is both a natural and manufactured melee weapon. If a level 3 (or lower) Monk attacks a Caryatid Column, the Monk's unarmed strike automatically breaks and becomes useless.
    I tried that with VoPeace, but unfortunately it doesn't work:

A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.
    As far as someone with VoPeace is concerned, destroying a weapon may be in some sense "Improving" it. I don't know whether the caryatid column has the same sensibilities. In any case, that's clearly not what enhance or improve means.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Orc in the Playground

In Pathfinder, when a creature with the Ferocity special ability goes below 0 HP, with zero points of nonlethal damage marked, it will fall unconscious because its nonlethal damage total, which in this case is zero, is higher than its hotpoint total, which would be a negative number. This is because Ferocity only prevents you from going unconscious due to your hit point total going below zero, but it doesn't do anything to stop nonlethal damage at all.
    LGBTitP

Quote Originally Posted by ViperMagnum357 View Post
    I think I would agree with Boggartbae

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ettin in the Playground

As far as someone with VoPeace is concerned, destroying a weapon may be in some sense "Improving" it. I don't know whether the caryatid column has the same sensibilities. In any case, that's clearly not what enhance or improve means.
    For what it's worth, Caryatid Column's Break Weapon (unlike the VoPeace) doesn't says "manufactured weapon", just "melee weapon".
    Unarmed Strike is certainly a melee weapon - thus qualify, "manufactured" or not
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2017-11-01 at 11:33 AM.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boggartbae View Post
    In Pathfinder, when a creature with the Ferocity special ability goes below 0 HP, with zero points of nonlethal damage marked, it will fall unconscious because its nonlethal damage total, which in this case is zero, is higher than its hotpoint total, which would be a negative number. This is because Ferocity only prevents you from going unconscious due to your hit point total going below zero, but it doesn't do anything to stop nonlethal damage at all.
    I think the same is true of the Diehard feat (in both editions), which has probably been covered before.
    Last edited by Malimar; 2017-11-01 at 11:49 AM.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

Contrary to that, I read the ab--

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    For what it's worth, Caryatid Column's Break Weapon (unlike the VoPeace) doesn't says "manufactured weapon", just "melee weapon".
    Unarmed Strike is certainly a melee weapon - thus qualify, "manufactured" or not
    --ility to apply to, what's that?

I've been Swordsage'd?

I didn't feel a th-- *dies*

28. - Top - End - #658
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

I vaguely remember this being mentioned in one of the other threads but it's not in the handbook and I'm terribly lazy. Anyhoo-

Level 5 warshapers get either Flashmorph, which allows you to assume your alternate form as a move action, and Multimorph, which allows them to change form multiple times in a single usage as a standard action. Which one you get is determined based on how you get to the alternate form: with Shapechanger subtype, Change Shape and Polymorph as an SLA(only as an sla, this may or may not break something if you enter with it as Su but I couldn't find anything that had that) you get Flashmorph; and Polymorph as a spell, Polymorph as an SLA useable less often than at will and Wildshape get Multimorph.

The issue then, is that a Polymorph SLA useable not-at-will qualifies for BOTH abilities. This isn't solved by choosing the one you want because there's no choice you just get assigned the one that fits at level-up. One says form changing is a move action, and one says you can swap forms as a standard action. So which one is it?

Edit: Not only has this already been mentioned in this thread, I was the one that mentioned it. Serves me right for posting late at night I suppose.
    Last edited by nailbudday; 2017-11-04 at 09:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by nailbudday View Post
    I vaguely remember this being mentioned in one of the other threads but it's not in the handbook and I'm terribly lazy. Anyhoo-

Level 5 warshapers get either Flashmorph, which allows you to assume your alternate form as a move action, and Multimorph, which allows them to change form multiple times in a single usage as a standard action. Which one you get is determined based on how you get to the alternate form: with Shapechanger subtype, Change Shape and Polymorph as an SLA(only as an sla, this may or may not break something if you enter with it as Su but I couldn't find anything that had that) you get Flashmorph; and Polymorph as a spell, Polymorph as an SLA useable less often than at will and Wildshape get Multimorph.

The issue then, is that a Polymorph SLA useable not-at-will qualifies for BOTH abilities. This isn't solved by choosing the one you want because there's no choice you just get assigned the one that fits at level-up. One says form changing is a move action, and one says you can swap forms as a standard action. So which one is it?

Edit: Not only has this already been mentioned in this thread, I was the one that mentioned it. Serves me right for posting late at night I suppose.
    I think you've just misread the text.

A 5th-level warshaper gains one of two class features. If the warshaper has the ability to change form at will, such as from the change shape ability, the shapechanger subtype, or a polymorph spell-like ability, it gains the flashmorph class feature, allowing it to change form as a move action.
    It doesn't say "...change form at will or polymorph SLA"; it says "...change form at will, such as polymorph SLA." So, the actual criterion is "at will," and a polymorph SLA is just one possible example of such an ability. So, Flashmorph is for abilities that are usable at will, and Multimorph is for abilities that are not usable at will.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

You're right about Polymorph SLAs, but that still doesn't address stuff like Slyth(slyth don't actually have the shapechanger subtype despite having Alternate Form apparently) Hengeyokai Druids, who would get both options.