New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #571
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by WaffleLord View Post
    Q228
    If a creature has innate spellcasting, the casting time is the same as the spell description, yes?
    A 228

Unless it's specifically stated otherwise, yes.
    English isn't my first language, so I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Q 229
    Can you two-hand a Versatile Weapon & still get be able to use your Charisma Mod for attack & damage as a Hexblade Warlock?
    Last edited by sightlessrealit; 2017-06-28 at 02:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sightlessrealit View Post
    Q 229
    Can you two-hand a Versatile Weapon & still get be able to use your Charisma Mod for attack & damage as a Hexblade Warlock?
    A 229
    The Hex Warrior class feature requires a melee weapon, that you are proficient with the weapon and that the weapon doesn't have the Two-Handed property. Versatile is a different property from Two-Handed, so even if you're using it two-handed, a Versatile weapon qualifies to use Charisma for attack and damage rolls as long as you meet the other requirements.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
    A 228

Unless it's specifically stated otherwise, yes.
    Many thanks, Lombra.
    No longer active in forums.
    Thank you to all who have brought me joy in game and out.
    Praise be to Dakaran for the elf monk avatar! (at rest)

PCs
    Melhved Brombriar, Goliath Warden - Keep of the Shadowfell (retired)
    Aeren Tatallaner, Eladrin Bard - Scales of War (retired)
    DMings

5. - Top - End - #575
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Disregard, found the answer.
    Last edited by Squibsallotl; 2017-06-28 at 08:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squibsallotl View Post
    Disregard, found the answer.
    SOmeone else might have the same question so you could post the answer you found perhaps.

Q 230 Illusory Reality, 14th level illusionist ability: Does the object persist for the full minute even if the illusion spell ends before that? That's my take on the RAW but curious of other takes. It's good and bad. Good in some cases that it sticks around without concentration but it also would mean I cannot stop concentration while enemies are chasing us and crossing the bridge I created so it vanishes.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-06-30 at 11:04 AM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

7. - Top - End - #577

Q 231 Crossbow Expert allows you to make an attack with a handcrossbow as a bonus action whenever you use the attack action to attack with a one-handed weapon. Does the bonus attack with the handcrossbow need to be against the same target?
    Credit to Bradakhan for the amazing avatar.

8. - Top - End - #578

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    Q 230 Illusory Reality, 14th level illusionist ability: Does the object persist for the full minute even if the illusion spell ends before that? That's my take on the RAW but curious of other takes. It's good and bad. Good in some cases that it sticks around without concentration but it also would mean I cannot stop concentration while enemies are chasing us and crossing the bridge I created so it vanishes.
    A 230 Illusory Reality doesn't tie the object's duration to the spell's duration and only gives the duration of the object as "1 minute" so the object will exist for one minute even if you stop concentrating on the spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarey Nerd View Post
    Q 231 Crossbow Expert allows you to make an attack with a handcrossbow as a bonus action whenever you use the attack action to attack with a one-handed weapon. Does the bonus attack with the handcrossbow need to be against the same target?
    A 231 Nothing in Crossbow Expert limits the targeting of the bonus action attack so you can attack the same target or a different target.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 232

Say I am a rogue moving in to stab someone. I move my normal 30ft and I realize I have 15ft more to go. So I use my bonus action from cunning action to dash the additional 15ft.

I attack and kill my opponent, can I still use the 15ft left over from dash? Or is it considered gone once I take the attack action?
    Last edited by djreynolds; 2017-07-01 at 01:00 AM.

10. - Top - End - #580

A 232:

It doesn't work that way. Dash does not allow you to move, it increases your available movement. So anything you can do with the original movement, you can do with the extra movement.
    Last edited by coredump; 2017-07-01 at 03:31 AM.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by coredump View Post
    A 232:

It doesn't work that way. Dash does not allow you to move, it increases your available movement. So anything you can do with the original movement, you can do with the extra movement.
    Thanks for that clarification

12. - Top - End - #582
    Orc in the Playground

Q233:

So can I get any kind of trinket when it comes to trinkets, as per the trinket rule? Like say, a usable hairband with something special about it?

13. - Top - End - #583
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Q 234

Do wands bypass the whole bonus action 2 non-cantrips thing if some Sorcerer uses a quickened spell as a bonus action and a wand spell as action?
    We are everywhere.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

A 234

If an item says it allows you to cast a spell, then it is granting the power to cast a spell but YOU are casting the spell and all the normal rules apply. Some item effects are not spells or are just spell-like such as the Staff of Thunder and Lightning. Those are exceptions.

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Banned

Devil

A234; Depends on wording.

See; Wand of Fear; "While holding the wand, you can use an action to expend 1 charge and command another creature to flee or grovel, as with the command spell" or

Wand of Fireballs; "While holding it, you can expend one of more of its charges to cast the fireball spell from it.

If it states you cast the spell, you cast the spell, and all other limitations take place.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Troll in the Playground

A 234 (cont) The good side of this since YOU are casting a spell, is you can use any features that your normally have for casting a spell. Consider things like metamagics or wizard archetypal features or the Arcane Trickster's ability to impose disadvantage on saves in some cases.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Thanks, guys.
    We are everywhere.

18. - Top - End - #588

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSymphony View Post
    Q233:

So can I get any kind of trinket when it comes to trinkets, as per the trinket rule? Like say, a usable hairband with something special about it?
    A233:

The only real rules that exist regarding trinkets are the ones on pg. 159 of the PHB, that say you can roll once on the table on pp. 160-161 to start with one of the trinkets on those pages. Anything different or more specific is up to your DM so this is a question for them rather than an RAW question.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q235 does spirit guardians do damage each round?

20. - Top - End - #590
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q236 my ally is being grappled. Can I cast a spell at him that will move him and therefore end the grapple?

21. - Top - End - #591
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Q237 does a character level 1 in paladin and level 1 in ranger get 1 spellcaster level ?

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Timy View Post
    Q237 does a character level 1 in paladin and level 1 in ranger get 1 spellcaster level ?
    A237 No, as silly as it seems. Spellcasting is a class feature, not a character feature. Just because you happen to have spellcasting level of ˝ your class level doesn't mean that 1 level in two classes with same progression would somehow count as 2nd level in each class.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-07-06 at 02:43 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

23. - Top - End - #593
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Q 238
    Apart from the Grappling and Shoving benefits that you gain, does being in the Large size category(as from the Primeval Guardian Ranger UA) give you any benefits?

Also
    Q 239
    Are there RAW rules for oversized weapons?

P.S. If these have been covered before or have been covered in a tweet or something, then a link would be super useful thank you

24. - Top - End - #594
    Troll in the Playground

A237 (cont) You would actually have 1 spell slot based on the multiclassing rules but you wouldn't know any spells to cast with it since "spells known" is based on individual progression in each class.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-07-06 at 07:54 AM.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q235 does spirit guardians do damage each round?
    A235 Yes. A creature takes damage when it "enters the area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there". If the creature stays in the area for several rounds, it starts its turn there multiple times. Same if it re-enters the area each round.

Unless you are asking about the possibility of a creature entering the area "for the first time on a turn", not necessarily its own, multiple times in a single round. Like, it enters and exits the area on its turn, but also readies an action to do that again on someone else's turn. Or maybe its enemies are playing ping pong with it as the ball and the limit of the area as the net. I think the RAW answer would be yes again, but I am less sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q236 my ally is being grappled. Can I cast a spell at him that will move him and therefore end the grapple?
    A236 It depends.

Would the spell compel your ally to move, using your ally's own movement? Then no. Your ally's speed is 0 as per the grappled condition. It doesn't matter if their legs are struggling on your ally's own volition or not.

Would the spell itself move your ally, "such as when a creature is hurled away by the thunderwave spell" (example given by the grappled condition itself)? Then yes, but you should probably use that on the enemy instead.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Ship's dog View Post
    Q 238
    Apart from the Grappling and Shoving benefits that you gain, does being in the Large size category(as from the Primeval Guardian Ranger UA) give you any benefits?
    A 238
    It also doubles your carrying capacity (PHB p176), and *might* allow you to take a Medium ally on your shoulders to act as an independent mount for them (PHB p198). You also control a larger space, which means more opportunity attack... er... opportunities. There might be more.

Q 239
    Are there RAW rules for oversized weapons?
    A 239
    Yes, actually. They are hidden deep into "Creating a Monster Stat Block".
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG p278
    Big monsters typically wield oversized weapons that deal extra dice of damage on a hit. Double the weapon dice if the creature is Large, triple the weapon dice if it's Huge, and quadruple the weapon dice if it's Gargantuan. For example, a Huge giant wielding an appropriately sized greataxe deals 3d12 slashing damage (plus its Strength bonus), instead of the normal 1d12.
    A creature has disadvantage on attack rolls with a weapon that is sized for a larger attacker. You can rule that a weapon sized for an attacker two or more sizes larger is too big for the creature to use at all.
    And so we have a couple more benefits for Large creatures. They can wield Large-sized weapons without disadvantage, and can wield Huge-sized weapons.

27. - Top - End - #597

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Timy View Post
    No. Both classes grant the Spellcasting ability at Class Level 2. Since a Pal 1/Rgr 1 is only Class Level 1 in each, he does not have the Spellcasting feature at all!

Quote Originally Posted by PHB p114, Multiclassing rules, Spellcasting
    Once you have the Spellcasting feature from more than one class, use the rules below.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q240 does flaming sphere and pyrotechnics work together?

29. - Top - End - #599
    Troll in the Playground

A240 Yes, they work. Pryo is not concentration. You can choose to extinguish the sphere or leave it burning.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q241 The Dragonwings from HotDQ are cultists that have 'fanatical advantage', which gives them an extra 2d6 dam if they are attacking with advantage. Then, the scimitar does d6 dam, and an extra d6 acid damage.
    Do I double all that on a critical hit?