New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #841
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by djreynolds View Post
    Q345 Question?
    Telekinesis opposes a strength check. So basically I would only add my modifier versus their casting stat.
    For example 20 strength for +5 modifier versus their spell DC.
    No proficiency added for saves.
    No proficiency added for athletics.
    So for a 20 strength I get +5 only, if raging possible advantage?
    And since it is a check, the mage slayer feat would not help?
    Would the lucky feat or indomitable help?
    A345

Yes, proficiency does not apply.
    Rage advantage, lucky and remarkable athlete (fighter champion) work.
    Indomitable and mage slayer work on saves, not checks, so they don't apply.

Edit: jack of all trades also applies.
    Last edited by Lombra; 2017-10-20 at 03:44 AM.
    English isn't my first language, so I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
    A345

Yes, proficiency does not apply.
    Rage advantage, lucky and remarkable athlete (fighter champion) work.
    Indomitable and mage slayer work on saves, not checks, so they don't apply.
    A345
    Thanks
    This makes telekinesis very powerful, unfortunately I'm on the receiving end

3. - Top - End - #843
    Ettin in the Playground

Q346

A wolf can prone someone on a DC11 strength saving throw.

A. How is that computed?
    12 strength which is +1
    Proficiency which is said to be +2, which why beasts stuff such attack do not go up until a ranger hits 5th level
    And 8? Like spells and maneuvers
    1+2+8=11

B. Does this mean if I up the wolf's strength from 12 to 14 to 16, it will increase that DC of 11?

Mike mearls says you cannot add in your proficiency score to it.... so no 1+ 3? +8=12... but now that animals get ASIs it could be +2 (14 strength) +2 (proficiency) +8=12?

4. - Top - End - #844
    Troll in the Playground

Re: A345

This makes telekinesis very powerful, unfortunately I'm on the receiving end
    FWIW, the caster doesn't get anything but their caster stat bonus either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
    Edit: jack of all trades also applies.
    For better or worse, it also applies to the caster.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    Re: A345

FWIW, the caster doesn't get anything but their caster stat bonus either.

For better or worse, it also applies to the caster.
    I was still upside down

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q346

A wolf can prone someone on a DC11 strength saving throw.

A. How is that computed?
    12 strength which is +1
    Proficiency which is said to be +2, which why beasts stuff such attack do not go up until a ranger hits 5th level
    And 8? Like spells and maneuvers
    1+2+8=11

B. Does this mean if I up the wolf's strength from 12 to 14 to 16, it will increase that DC of 11?

Mike mearls says you cannot add in your proficiency score to it.... so no 1+ 3? +8=12... but now that animals get ASIs it could be +2 (14 strength) +2 (proficiency) +8=12?
    A346a: all abilities with a DC in 5th edition are computed with the same method: 8+proficiency bonus+relevant ability modifier, so your deduction is correct. A wolf has built-in proficiency bonus +2, and Strength 12 is indeed worth +1 for everything and everyone.

A346b: while the trip is not called shove, it is essentially same. Using the above knowledge, you can deduce via reverse engineering that it uses the wolf's strength modifier, plus a 'shove' is an athletics check, which is by default also a strength check.
    I would say that increasing strength score does in fact affect the Trip's DC in accordance to Strength modifier. It's also reasonable that you can't add your own proficiency bonus on top of a DC calculation, because in general DC's can't be higher than 19 in the end (except in some cases which involve either magic items or otherwise "epic" proportions)
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-10-22 at 02:23 AM.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    A346a: all abilities with a DC in 5th edition are computed with the same method: 8+proficiency bonus+relevant ability modifier, so your deduction is correct. A wolf has built-in proficiency bonus +2, and Strength 12 is indeed worth +1 for everything and everyone.

A346b: while the trip is not called shove, it is essentially same. Using the above knowledge, you can deduce via reverse engineering that it uses the wolf's strength modifier, plus a 'shove' is an athletics check, which is by default also a strength check.
    I would say that increasing strength score does in fact affect the Trip's DC in accordance to Strength modifier. It's also reasonable that you can't add your own proficiency bonus on top of a DC calculation, because in general DC's can't be higher than 19 in the end (except in some cases which involve either magic items or otherwise "epic" proportions)
    Cool thanks, it wont add much, but if you buffed strength at 8th level its DC 13 for 16 strength

8. - Top - End - #848
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 347

in the situation of a Warlock Cleric Multiclass of W3/C1
    where Cleric can prepare spells for spell slots they have
    I have 2nd level spell slots with my Warlock, could i prepare 2nd Level Cleric spells ?
    and cast them with my Warlock slots ?

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SaA View Post
    Q 347

in the situation of a Warlock Cleric Multiclass of W3/C1
    where Cleric can prepare spells for spell slots they have
    I have 2nd level spell slots with my Warlock, could i prepare 2nd Level Cleric spells ?
    and cast them with my Warlock slots ?
    No. Spell access depend on individual class levels.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

10. - Top - End - #850

Q 348

Cleric Warlock Interaction Question .

Warlock PoC With Darkness and Devils Sight invocation
    Cleric Inflict Wounds

I use the Warlock combo of casting Darkness on myself and being able to see with Devils sight, this usually means i would have advantage as the enemy cannot see me attack.
    But does this still apply if i Have my Familiar deliver the Cast of Inflict Wounds to the enemy while im in darkness , im still technically the one casting the spell.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ogre in the Playground

A 348

Let's look at Find Familiar:
    your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell
    That means all relevant modifiers and conditions (except ability score, as specified later in the spell description) are those of the familiar, not the caster. So if the familiar is invisible, it gets advantage. If it's blinded, it gets disadvantage.

Powers &8^]

12. - Top - End - #852

Q349

Druid Multiclass into ranger (Primeval -UA) and they Wildshape, can they use their bonus action to transform in a three like creature with the stat of the animal form (excluding the size -as it change to large unless its already large- and speed -as it change to 5 feet-)?
    Last edited by Maxilian; 2017-10-25 at 04:53 PM.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

A349

Sort of?

First- The Druid's Wild Shape Ability states that your form and game statistics are replaced by the creatures- however you retain your class features (including those from multi-classing), so you can use the Guardian Soul's ability.

Guardian Soul specifically calls out that you can take on the appearance of a treelike person, however there is nothing to indicate that the form would otherwise use your normal statistics.

So by RAW, you would become a treelike person, using the stats of the beast.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Troll in the Playground

Q 350 Don't all spells require a clear path to the target unless they specify otherwise? Isn't Mearls wrawng about Eyebite and a Wall of Force?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Q 351: Is there a way to change the damage I deal on a melee attack to lightning damage?
    Last edited by Balance00; 2017-10-26 at 12:44 PM.

16. - Top - End - #856

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Balance00 View Post
    Q 351: Is there a way to change the damage I deal on a melee attack to lightning damage?
    A351

You would need a homebrew magic item. There ways to add additional lightning damage, the Elemental Weapon spell, but no current way to deal ONLY lightning damage.

17. - Top - End - #857

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Avonar View Post
    A351

You would need a homebrew magic item. There ways to add additional lightning damage, the Elemental Weapon spell, but no current way to deal ONLY lightning damage.
    There IS the Shocking Grasp cantrip, though that obviously doesn't work with weapon attacks or the Extra Attack feature.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q352 lucky feat lets roll another d20 after the first roll is made, but before the outcome is known. In regard to attack rolls against you, is it the same thing? Example, DM says you've been critically hit. Is that too late?

19. - Top - End - #859
    Orc in the Playground

[off topic] can someone link me the first simple raw thread? I can't find it with a search engine

20. - Top - End - #860

Q353Can I use GFB/BB on a lizardfolk's bite attack?

21. - Top - End - #861

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arenabait View Post
    Q353Can I use GFB/BB on a lizardfolk's bite attack?
    A353 No. You have to attack with a weapon.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q352 lucky feat lets roll another d20 after the first roll is made, but before the outcome is known. In regard to attack rolls against you, is it the same thing? Example, DM says you've been critically hit. Is that too late?
    A352

The wording "before the outcome is determined" applies only to your own rolls, not to attack rolls against you. The wording for the latter is "when an attack roll is made against you". As soon as you find out what the attacker rolled, you can invoke Lucky.

Powers &8^]

23. - Top - End - #863
    Troll in the Playground

Q 350 Don't all spells require a clear path to the target unless they specify otherwise? Isn't Mearls wrawng about Eyebite and a Wall of Force?
    Did I stump the whole playground?

24. - Top - End - #864
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q354 illusion spell (any) blocks my vision of the enemy (cuz I failed my save, or just haven't he'd a chance to interact, etc). Can I target the enemy with a scorching ray spell? And if so, how would that play out? I can't see him, but I can target him? Attack at disadvantage? Perception check?

25. - Top - End - #865

A350: Short answer, kind of.

Long answer:
    copy/paste from here:

There are three potential interpretations in play here:

1. One interpretation is that visual concealment is necessary for total cover, leaving targets on the other side of a wall of force, or a mundane transparency such as a floor-to-ceiling windowpane for that matter, fully targetable by spells and spell effects, or even mundane attacks (albeit with no guarantee of success).
    2. Another interpretation is that even a transparent surface grants total cover, as it is a physical obstacle, albeit one unable to actually conceal a target.
    3. The middle-of-the-road path is that spells can be targeted based on line of sight (including through magical and mundane transparent walls and surfaces).

• Spell effects with physical components (fireballs, rays and such) behave like mundane projectiles and cannot pass through a transparent surface of any sort as a result, or are restricted in how they can pass through them.
      • Spells whose effects are immaterial (such as a mind-altering dominate spell) can freely traverse something transparent.

The applicable RAW is as follows (PHB p. 204):

A Clear Path To the Target

To target something, you must have a clear path to it, so it can't be behind total cover.
    and (under Areas of Effect)

A spell's effect expands in straight lines from the point of origin. If no unblocked straight line extends from the point of origin to a location within the area of effect, that location isn't included in the spell's area. To block one of these imaginary lines, an obstruction must provide total cover, as explained in chapter 9.
    Going to p. 196 of Chapter 9 of the PHB where total cover is defined:

A target with total cover can't be targeted directly by an attack or a spell, although some spells can reach such a target by including it in an area of effect. A target has total cover if it is completely concealed by an obstacle.
    Wall of force (p. 285) does not grant any concealment:

An invisible wall of force springs into existence at a point you choose within range. ...
    However, since it is a barrier:

Nothing can physically pass through the wall.
    it clearly meets the definition of obstacle, leading us off the end of the RAW, and into RAI territory.
    I tend to play it where Wall of Force acts as full cover and protects you from spells like Eyebite; but Mearls interpretation is no less 'wrawg' than mine in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q354 illusion spell (any) blocks my vision of the enemy (cuz I failed my save, or just haven't he'd a chance to interact, etc). Can I target the enemy with a scorching ray spell? And if so, how would that play out? I can't see him, but I can target him? Attack at disadvantage? Perception check?
    A354: Unless you have some means of targeting without using sight, no. You cannot target someone when said target is hidden from view.
    Last edited by Erys; 2017-10-30 at 10:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q355: I am a player character currently at zero hit points and I am rolling for death saving throws. By whatever turn of events, I acquire some temporary hit points whilst downed. What happens?

(We couldn't find a clear answer, so we ruled it as 'you get the thp and you don't roll for death saves until you lose them, but you still can't take actions')

27. - Top - End - #867
    Ettin in the Playground

A355 You still make death saving throws, for you aren't stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p198
    lf you have 0 hit points, receiving temporary hit points doesn't restore you to consciousness or stabilize you. They can still absorb damage directed at you while you're in that state, but only true healing can save you.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Afrodactyl View Post
    Q355: I am a player character currently at zero hit points and I am rolling for death saving throws. By whatever turn of events, I acquire some temporary hit points whilst downed. What happens?

(We couldn't find a clear answer, so we ruled it as 'you get the thp and you don't roll for death saves until you lose them, but you still can't take actions')
    Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    A355 You still make death saving throws, for you aren't stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p198
    lf you have 0 hit points, receiving temporary hit points doesn't restore you to consciousness or stabilize you. They can still absorb damage directed at you while you're in that state, but only true healing can save you.
    In other words, temporary hit points for someone at 0 hit points may prevent an automatic death saving throw failure from taking damage.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-10-31 at 05:10 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    In other words, temporary hit points for someone at 0 hit points may prevent an automatic death saving throw failure from taking damage.
    Or not. You are at 0 hit points and you are taking damage, so you suffer a death saving throw failure. Kinda like with the DC for a concentration save. Maybe, I am not sure.

Instant death rules are also interesting in that context.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A354: Unless you have some means of targeting without using sight, no. You cannot target someone when said target is hidden from view.
    Last edited by Erys; Yesterday at 05:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
    where does it say you need sight to target something?