New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #931
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q372 does Longstrider help with fly?
    A372: Since it adds ten feet to your base speed: it does affects all speeds you have access too, including fly.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

(I just can't help pointing out that we now have two questions called 378, and a repost of 372 from some time ago.)

Q380

This has probably been answered to death, but I'm still new at this.

Anyone can attempt to use any tool, with no proficiency bonus. It's only when proficient (or expert) at that tool, does the proficiency bonus (doubled with expertise) gets added.

Is this correct? This means my barbarian with a dex of 8 can have a go with the lockpick tool, with no penalty (other than for his lousy dex). Is that RAW?

A simple yes will be fine. If not, just need to know if I am missing something.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Ettin in the Playground

A380 Yes, but your example is an exception.

Locks and manacles come with their own rule that you must be proficient with thieves' tools to have any chance to pick them. Picking a lock is also given as an example of something you can't help someone with unless you have proficiency with thieves' tools yourself, which was confusing to me until I realized the previous point.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q381 Counterspell happens when you see a creature casting a spell. As a wizard, I will want to know what spell is being cast before I decide to counter it. How does this play out?

5. - Top - End - #935

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q381 Counterspell happens when you see a creature casting a spell. As a wizard, I will want to know what spell is being cast before I decide to counter it. How does this play out?
    A381: Technically, as of Xanathars, it takes a reaction to ID a spell.
    So you either ID whats coming or Counterspell blind.

There is a thread here that is a decent read; including thoughts on using two characters to accomplish the task or how to fairly Counterspell blindly so neither party tries to change their spell last second.

Also, here is the official tweet.

6. - Top - End - #936

PaladinGuy

Q382 Is there any way for a Druid to teach their Rituals to a Tomelock?
    Last edited by NecessaryWeevil; 2017-11-18 at 04:04 PM.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    Q382 Is there any way for a Druid to teach their Rituals to a Tomelock?
    A382

Book of Ancient Secrets Invocation: "On your adventures, you can add other ritual Spells to your Book of Shadows. When you find such a spell, you can add it to the book if the spell’s level is equal to or less than half your warlock level (rounded up) and if you can spare the time to transcribe the spell. For each level of the spell, the transcription process takes 2 hours and costs 50 gp for the rare inks needed to inscribe it."

It's more or less up to your DM what "finding" a spell means, but personally, I'd allow it.
    Last edited by Hyde; 2017-11-18 at 07:12 PM.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Halfling in the Playground

Q383

If you cast an Abjuration spell with a higher-level slot than normal, does it count as a higher-level spell for the purpose of regenerating the Abjuration Wizard's Arcane Ward?

Starting at 2nd level, you can weave magic around yourself for protection. When you cast an abjuration spell of 1st level or higher, you can simultaneously use a strand of the spell’s magic to create a magical ward on yourself that lasts until you finish a long rest. The ward has hit points equal to twice your wizard level + your Intelligence modifier. Whenever you take damage, the ward takes the damage instead. If this damage reduces the ward to 0 hit points, you take any remaining damage.

While the ward has 0 hit points, it can’t absorb damage. but its magic remains. Whenever you cast an abjuration spell of 1st level or higher, the ward regains a number of hit points equal to twice the level of the spell. Once you create the ward, you can’t create it again until you finish a long rest.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Troll in the Playground

A 383 PHB p.201: "When a spellcaster casts a spell using a slot that is of a higher level than the spell, the spell assumes the higher
    level for that casting."

So if you cast a 1st level abjuration spell with a 2nd level slot, it will recharge the shield as 2nd level. You could even cast Mage Armor at 9th level. I don't think it has any upcast benefits to the Mage Armor spell but it would have upcast benefits for your shield.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-11-19 at 01:15 PM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ogre in the Playground

A383

I believe the ruling is that spells have a single, immutable level assigned to each of them. A 1st-level spell cast with a 5th-level slot is still a 1st-level spell. So the wording "twice the level of the spell" is unaffected by the slot used to cast the spell. If they had meant the slot, they would have said "twice the level of the spell slot used to cast the spell".

Powers &8^]

11. - Top - End - #941

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    A383

I believe the ruling is that spells have a single, immutable level assigned to each of them. A 1st-level spell cast with a 5th-level slot is still a 1st-level spell. So the wording "twice the level of the spell" is unaffected by the slot used to cast the spell. If they had meant the slot, they would have said "twice the level of the spell slot used to cast the spell".

Powers &8^]
    This is exactly wrong. SA Compendium:
    "What level is a spell if you cast it without a spell slot?
    Such a spell is cast at its lowest possible level, which is the
    level that appears near the top of its description. Unless you
    have a special ability that says otherwise, the only way to
    increase the level of a spell is to expend a higher-level spell
    slot when you cast it.
    "

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    This is exactly wrong. SA Compendium:
    "What level is a spell if you cast it without a spell slot?
    Such a spell is cast at its lowest possible level, which is the
    level that appears near the top of its description. Unless you
    have a special ability that says otherwise, the only way to
    increase the level of a spell is to expend a higher-level spell
    slot when you cast it.
    "
    Hmm, interesting. I could have sworn I read something stating that verbiage that refers to "spell level" is limited to the level of the spell in its description. It may have been just someone's opinion, though.

Powers &8^]

13. - Top - End - #943

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q384
    Tides of Chaos.

Any time before you regain the use of this feature, the DM can have you roll on the Wild Magic Surge table immediately after you cast a spell.

Can this happen in response to casting the spell I used the Tides on in the first place? In other words, if I cast Witch Bolt using the Tides to get advantage, can the DM make me roll a surge immediately thereafter, thereby recharging the Tides?
    Last edited by Samayu; 2017-11-20 at 10:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Troll in the Playground

A 384 You've already cast Witch Bolt. Witch Bolt then grants you an attack. You use ToC on that attack. So you will need to cast another spell before ToC can trigger a surge.

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

15. - Top - End - #945

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    A383

I believe the ruling is that spells have a single, immutable level assigned to each of them. A 1st-level spell cast with a 5th-level slot is still a 1st-level spell.
    The opposite is true. A 1st level spell cast with a 5th level slot is a 5th level spell. For example, a 3rd level dispel magic has a DC 15 to dispel that spell.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

d20 Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dhuraal View Post
    Q9: Applies to multiple monsters but I will use Kobolds for the example here. A kobold per the Monster Manual has a spear and can use it as a melee weapon or a thrown weapon. If the kobold throws the spear, is it now weaponless, or is it handwaved as unlimited ammunition? Or am I blind and missing an ammunition count?

* Edit, cited the wrong book
    It says in the front of the monster manual how much ammo a monster should have - 2d4 ammos for a thrown attack and 2d10 for a non-thrown ranged attack, although the DM can over-rule this and give more or less ammo.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Albert_Newton View Post
    It says in the front of the monster manual how much ammo a monster should have - 2d4 ammos for a thrown attack and 2d10 for a non-thrown ranged attack, although the DM can over-rule this and give more or less ammo.
    ...aren't you a "bit" late for that train...
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

18. - Top - End - #948

Q385

For Pact of the Blade, you can specify the form or the weapon, such as longsword, spear, great axe, whatever. However, can you specify the material it is made from, as part of the form?

Say you are fighting a were creature can you create a silver one? Now that adamantine is a choice, could I make an adamantine great axe if I wanted to cut down a door?

Side note, could you specify styles or decorative elements?

Essential do I have to just say I form a pact longsword, or could I say an elven style longsword made of silver?

19. - Top - End - #949

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dudewithknives View Post
    Q385

For Pact of the Blade, you can specify the form or the weapon, such as longsword, spear, great axe, whatever. However, can you specify the material it is made from, as part of the form?

Say you are fighting a were creature can you create a silver one? Now that adamantine is a choice, could I make an adamantine great axe if I wanted to cut down a door?

Side note, could you specify styles or decorative elements?

Essential do I have to just say I form a pact longsword, or could I say an elven style longsword made of silver?
    A385 You specify the weapon type, such as longsword. The weapon formed specifies that it is treated as magical, however no other properties are possible. While the book does not say who chooses the aesthetic of the weapon, it'd be super weird for a DM to get hung up on that.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 386: Is the extra dice from poison multiplied on a critical hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Troll in the Playground

A 386 Only if it doesn't involve a saving throw.

22. - Top - End - #952

Q 387 Can you obtain subclass-specific proficiencies when multiclassing?

IIRC only a few classes (Cleric, Sorcerer, Warlock) choose a subclass at level 1 and only some Cleric domains and the new Hexblade Warlock have bonus proficiencies at level 1.

The question arises from this text:

When you gain a level in a class other than your first, you gain only some of that class’s starting proficiencies, as shown in the Multiclassing Proficiencies table.

Since e.g. the Tempest Domain's proficiency in heavy armour and martial weapons is tied to a subclass, and not the Cleric as a whole, does it ignore the above restriction?

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Platypusbill View Post
    Q 387 Can you obtain subclass-specific proficiencies when multiclassing?

IIRC only a few classes (Cleric, Sorcerer, Warlock) choose a subclass at level 1 and only some Cleric domains and the new Hexblade Warlock have bonus proficiencies at level 1.

The question arises from this text:

When you gain a level in a class other than your first, you gain only some of that class’s starting proficiencies, as shown in the Multiclassing Proficiencies table.

Since e.g. the Tempest Domain's proficiency in heavy armour and martial weapons is tied to a subclass, and not the Cleric as a whole, does it ignore the above restriction?
    Yes.
    Class's starting proficiencies refer to those that each member of that class share. Sub-class proficiencies are sub-class features and you gain them all, except when overlapping occurs.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

24. - Top - End - #954

Q 388: The gelatinous cube's engulf action says: "The cube moves up to its speed. While doing so, it can enter Large or smaller creatures' spaces. Whenever the cube enters a creature's space, the creature must make a DC 12 Dexterity saving throw. On a successful save, the creature can choose to be pushed 5 feet back or to the side of the cube."

This does not say that attempting to engulf someone ends the cube's action-granted movement, and it explicitly states that the saving throw happens "while doing so" (referring to the movement) suggesting that the movement has necessarily not concluded before the saving throw is made.

Does this mean the cube can make numerous engulf attempts against the same target until it succeeds or runs out of movement (specifically movement provided by the engulf action)?
    Last edited by Sir Pippin Boyd; 2017-11-29 at 07:39 AM.
    "I don't even really see the point of trying to phone up an archfiend if there isn't at least a *little* chance it'll make my mind explode."

25. - Top - End - #955

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Pippin Boyd View Post
    Q 388: The gelatinous cube's engulf action says: "The cube moves up to its speed. While doing so, it can enter Large or smaller creatures' spaces. Whenever the cube enters a creature's space, the creature must make a DC 12 Dexterity saving throw. On a successful save, the creature can choose to be pushed 5 feet back or to the side of the cube."

This does not say that attempting to engulf someone ends the cube's action-granted movement, and it explicitly states that the saving throw happens "while doing so" (referring to the movement) suggesting that the movement has necessarily not concluded before the saving throw is made.

Does this mean the cube can make numerous engulf attempts against the same target until it succeeds or runs out of movement (specifically movement provided by the engulf action)?
    A 388 It can continue moving even if it succeeds, otherwise yes.
    Last edited by Hyde; 2017-11-29 at 06:19 PM.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q389

Warding Wind. If I am in the area of a Cloudkill and cast this spell, what happens to the Cloudkill? Is it dispersed immediately? No longer in effect within the warding wind area? Something else?

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q390

When does the disease imposed by the contagion spell take effect? Is it when the spell hits, or is it when the target fails 3 saving throws?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

28. - Top - End - #958

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Q390

When does the disease imposed by the contagion spell take effect? Is it when the spell hits, or is it when the target fails 3 saving throws?
    A390

Contagion is a strange one. RAW it is not worded in a way that is clear enough to assume one or the other. I had always assumed that it meant the disease takes effect on the melee spell attack hit and after 3 failed saves it would last the full seven days. There have been Sage Advice questions where it has been mentioned that the idea is for the disease to take effect after 3 failed saves however this has never been included in any official errata.

So the short answer is RAW it could be either, RAI it is meant to be after 3 failed saves.
    Last edited by Avonar; 2017-12-03 at 08:38 PM.

29. - Top - End - #959

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Q390

R:390 Sage
    Last edited by Erys; 2017-12-03 at 09:22 PM.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q391 I cast Maximilian's Earthen Grasp, the creature makes it save. Next round, do I have to spend an action trying to grab that same creature or does it just happen?