New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXVIII: Get. In. The. BAG.

Quote Originally Posted by Icewraith View Post
    No idea here, but "LimpFishkit" is an amazing name. I hope that one lives.
    Gonna rename him LimpFishStik. Just cause. Update, I need someone to trade-evolve my Graveller now.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

You use Zubat as a speedy, decently hard-hitting, kinda tank.

Well, you use Crobat that way, anyway. Crobat is a good all-rounder Pokemon and it can learn some good moves.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Crobat it is then. Along with Alolan Golem (and I would love for someone to trade this with me).

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Alolan Golem's design is probably favorite of the Alolan forms.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Default Mimikyu doesn't take hostages...

Spoiler
    Show

The great massacre of the Ghost trial. RIP Hawkeye, BATMAN, Limpfishskit and a special honor to HULK after not switching out on 2 HP to give the remaining team a fighting chance.
    Last edited by Spore; 2017-02-15 at 04:19 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kudos on the win man. My nuzlocke runs full wiped on both Kiawe and the Ghost trial. The pic in the spoiler sums it up!
    Last edited by Alanzeign; 2017-02-15 at 04:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    An update on Mega Stones, courtesy Serebii:

"The Pokémon Company has put out a new note clarifying how the currently missing Mega Stones are going to be distributed. In the note, it explains that the Mega Stones will come through two means
    First, given as a present to players of Online Competitions, such as with the Mawilite and Beedrillite in the upcoming 2017 International Challenge February competition. Here, a limited amount of players will get the code ahead of a wait period of 1 to 2 months before all players get the code.
    Second is just through a code that will be given to all players through various events/online postings with no wait period
    The method will vary depending on the Mega Stone and they intend to go through these methods until Summer. As always, we'll bring full details on the Mega Stone distributions as they come."
    I'm still not clear - does that mean all mega stones will be distributed through codes eventually, or that some mega stones will only be distributed as participation rewards for online competitions and the rest will be distributed through codes?
    Jude P.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alanzeign View Post
    Kudos on the win man. My nuzlocke runs full wiped on both Kiawe and the Ghost trial. The pic in the spoiler sums it up!
    I keep going on but this might be a Pyrrhic Victory. Currently in front of Guzma #2 with 4.... no 3 Pokes and nothing to counter Golisopod. I have to try and tank it out with Pelipper's Stockpile.

e: Lost Crabrawler to a Rattata's Double-Edge.
    Last edited by Spore; 2017-02-15 at 05:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Probably should have trained up a few 'Mons before going to Po Town.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Aaaaand I've wiped to Nanu. Persian hitting Donkey at half health with Z dark move was the final stand. Curious whether I should salvage the 18h game time and finish the game with my strongest mons or retry.
    Last edited by Spore; 2017-02-15 at 06:35 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

I can tell you the now (assuming you're going blind?), the game does not get any easier from there, and you are not as close to done as you think you are.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

I figured my approach was too lax. I allowed myself 2 pokemon per region, EXP share and skipping of trainers. I feel this resulted in me not knowing my team in and out (more often than not I switched someone into their certain doom) as well as promoting Pokemon with levels that are not compatible with my team approach (or are too fragile for Nuzlockes, like Persian).

New idea: Never EXP share, 1 pokemon per route, release the starter pokemon for one additional catch.

Honestly I had fun with my Wonderlock in X/Y (mainly due to ORAS) and I might want to incorporate wonder trading again. How are your results atm with that feature?

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I figured my approach was too lax. I allowed myself 2 pokemon per region, EXP share and skipping of trainers. I feel this resulted in me not knowing my team in and out (more often than not I switched someone into their certain doom) as well as promoting Pokemon with levels that are not compatible with my team approach (or are too fragile for Nuzlockes, like Persian).

New idea: Never EXP share, 1 pokemon per route, release the starter pokemon for one additional catch.

Honestly I had fun with my Wonderlock in X/Y (mainly due to ORAS) and I might want to incorporate wonder trading again. How are your results atm with that feature?
    ...You think you'll be more likely to win with the EXP Share off? Really?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

The EXP Share complaints I don't get. The EXP Share doesn't make you any more overleveled than you would be normally. It just makes grinding unnecessary.

If You go through the routes, fighting every trainer and not specifically trying to fight every wild Pokemon on the way or grind, you'll be at the perfect level for every challenge.

Without the EXP Share your playthrough just ends up more monotonous and grindy as you grind every individual Pokemon up to your target level.

As for Nuzlocke rules, I like TFS' set-up:

-One Pokemon from grass, one event, fishing, or headbutt on each route.
    -A "Route" is considered any uniquely named area.
    -Species clause only SORT OF applies. If you have a Ratatta but not a Raticate and encounter the Raticate first...too bad.
    -One Wonder Trade allowed per island. Only nicknamed Pokemon are allowed to be used, so this is a crapshoot.
    -All other basic rules apply.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2017-02-15 at 07:13 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Without the EXP Share your playthrough just ends up more monotonous and grindy as you grind every individual Pokemon up to your target level.
    On the other hand, so many people posted that their teams were in the 60s by the Elite 4, while mine were about ten levels lower and I found that a good challenge. I did use the Exp. Share just to make sure I didn't fall behind the curve, and just ended up having to grind up a few levels at the end to get to where I wanted (level 52 minimum). I also had to spam healing items a couple times in the League, but it's not like I was playing competitively anyway.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    On the other hand, so many people posted that their teams were in the 60s by the Elite 4, while mine were about ten levels lower and I found that a good challenge. I did use the Exp. Share just to make sure I didn't fall behind the curve, and just ended up having to grind up a few levels at the end to get to where I wanted (level 52 minimum). I also had to spam healing items a couple times in the League, but it's not like I was playing competitively anyway.
    Problem with EXP Share is that my tanks mostly survive just about ANYTHING. They are generally 3-5 levels above the standard and get even switched into matchups where the smaller candidates would really shine e.g. I just tanked everything on Mudsdale though I had a better set of attacks on a lower - and more squishy - pokemon.

EXP share starts to become weird after near-wipes where you need to bring a few box pokemon up to par while only really being able to play with your lead. It tremendously eases up that grinding process and enables a continuation but it worsens the difference in levels between tanks (like Mudsdale and Hariyama) and the rest of the team, even if some pokes are very capable heavy hitters that just suffer from being hard to switch in.

Rynjin's rule idea sounds feasible and I will pick my team members on the tanky side this time and make type charts the second priority. I can't have another 'Chari'bird member where the base pokemon is too frail to be even switched in with set playstyle.
    Last edited by Spore; 2017-02-15 at 07:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

I have to imagine those people were grinding quite a bit, because they felt like they had to.

All of mine were in the 56-60 range by the time of the Elite Four, and that was with rotating in new 'Mons that needed to be brought up to snuff.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Colossus in the Playground

Pokemon GO. Gen 2. This week. Get hype.

Also some more stuff like more avatar customization, more Berries, and more interactive wild Pokemon, but mostly Gen 2.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2017-02-15 at 07:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    The EXP Share complaints I don't get. The EXP Share doesn't make you any more overleveled than you would be normally. It just makes grinding unnecessary.

If You go through the routes, fighting every trainer and not specifically trying to fight every wild Pokemon on the way or grind, you'll be at the perfect level for every challenge.

I turn the XP share off and I never1 find I have to do any grinding (even with it off, I find I sometimes am overlevelled). but I pick my team long before the game even starts, and once acquired/bred/etc stick with them the entire game.

I find that (even with a team entirely from in-game (as my X team is, for example), that I barely skirted not being overlevelled. I, in fact, was not a fan of getting XP for captures for precisely this reason.

1The times when I find I do need to are in earlier gens whre the modern XP share does not exist.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Skipping trainers is actually a bad idea. At least a couple of the route bosses or other trainers give vital TMs, and they won't fight you unless you've cleared out all the other trainers on that route. Also, if you skip trainers it's easier to find yourself both surprised and underleveled, which is very bad in a Nuzlocke.

Starter pokemon-wise... the fire starter seemed pretty sturdy when I fought it (I picked grass). The starters usually give you some valuable type coverage early game, I don't know why you'd not use one, especially for an extra route 1 catch.
    This signature is no longer incredibly out of date, but it is still irrelevant.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Pokemon GO. Gen 2. This week. Get hype.
    If there isn't proper training/evolving or fights involved, consider me not impressed. And no, grinding Pokes into drugs is not proper training.

@Nuzlocke MK II
    Juan the Litten is now accompanied by Pikipek Hiyoko, Makuhita Theredras and Grimer Rosaria. I am happy how early Pikipek evolves and kind of scared for Rosaria since she evolves very late and has no special defense until then. May the HP amounts by on my side.

Shiny Abra used Teleport.

Spoiler
    Show

@Nuzlocke cont.

First island completed. Juan evolved, as did Hiyoko but she is benched for now.

Current team:
    Torracat Juan
    Zubat Nightwing
    Makuhita Theradras
    Grimer Rosaria
    Cottonee Oberon
    (Cutiefly Mog)

Bench: Trumbeak Hiyoko, Spearow Aidan.
    Graveyard: Drifloon Kaonashi - died to Gumshoos' Pursuit before switching out. It was a trap.

I just need a solution for the Fire Trial, a bit of luck on the Water trial (for Wishiwashi not to crit) and not to be faked out again on the Grass trial.
    Last edited by Spore; 2017-02-16 at 09:51 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

If there isn't proper training/evolving or fights involved, consider me not impressed. And no, grinding Pokes into drugs is not proper training.

@Nuzlocke MK II
    Juan the Litten is now accompanied by Pikipek Hiyoko, Makuhita Theredras and Grimer Rosaria. I am happy how early Pikipek evolves and kind of scared for Rosaria since she evolves very late and has no special defense until then. May the HP amounts by on my side.

Shiny Abra used Teleport.

Spoiler
    Show

@Nuzlocke cont.

First island completed. Juan evolved, as did Hiyoko but she is benched for now.

Current team:
    Torracat Juan
    Zubat Nightwing
    Makuhita Theradras
    Grimer Rosaria
    Cottonee Oberon
    (Cutiefly Mog)

Bench: Trumbeak Hiyoko, Spearow Aidan.
    Graveyard: Drifloon Kaonashi - died to Gumshoos' Pursuit before switching out. It was a trap.

I just need a solution for the Fire Trial, a bit of luck on the Water trial (for Wishiwashi not to crit) and not to be faked out again on the Grass trial.
    Keep an eye out for the Eviolite then. Very helpful for those later evolving pokes.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Keep an eye out for the Eviolite then. Very helpful for those later evolving pokes.
    Huh. And it is conveniently on the way. Thank you so much in advance.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I'm still not clear - does that mean all mega stones will be distributed through codes eventually, or that some mega stones will only be distributed as participation rewards for online competitions and the rest will be distributed through codes?
    I think it means that the Megastones not available through the battle tower will be competition rewards first, then later handed out via codes.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

The following is a demonstration on how NOT to catch a Tentacool.

1) Under any circumstances are you forbidden to use status ailments. This hinders the Tentacool to summon its friends. You want a new jellyfish friend and not his or her friends? You are a monster!

2) Please do use Leech Seed on the Liquid Ooze friend. You want to find out the target's ability and you can make the Liquid Ooze Tentacool feel better about its inferior ability.

3) Welcome your poisonous doom with open arms. Switch in your best Grass/Fairy types. After all they can tank Water Pulse so well. Acid Spray is used sparingly.

4) Switch everyone in onto Toxic Spikes. The more the merrier.

Honestly I expected Tentacool to be a bit difficult to catch but never did I have to abort a catch because of a near wipe to a wild Pokemon.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

How to catch a Tentacool:

Step 1: Throw a Quick Ball

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

The following is a demonstration on how NOT to catch a Tentacool.

1) Under any circumstances are you forbidden to use status ailments. This hinders the Tentacool to summon its friends. You want a new jellyfish friend and not his or her friends? You are a monster!

2) Please do use Leech Seed on the Liquid Ooze friend. You want to find out the target's ability and you can make the Liquid Ooze Tentacool feel better about its inferior ability.

3) Welcome your poisonous doom with open arms. Switch in your best Grass/Fairy types. After all they can tank Water Pulse so well. Acid Spray is used sparingly.

4) Switch everyone in onto Toxic Spikes. The more the merrier.

Honestly I expected Tentacool to be a bit difficult to catch but never did I have to abort a catch because of a near wipe to a wild Pokemon.
    Liquid Ooze is actually part of why I ended up making a "faint it once then suspend rules" clause for future Nuzlockes. Yveltal killed itself a number of times due to Liquid Ooze, and after about the 9th time I tried a different strategy and it immediately ate 2 pokemon. Faint it once, prove you can beat it, then suspend deaths until you figure out how to catch it.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Pokémon Go has finally reached generation 2 guys.

Nicknames for evolving eevees seem to be:

Sakura (Espeon)
    Tamao (Umbreon)
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Liquid Ooze is actually part of why I ended up making a "faint it once then suspend rules" clause for future Nuzlockes. Yveltal killed itself a number of times due to Liquid Ooze, and after about the 9th time I tried a different strategy and it immediately ate 2 pokemon. Faint it once, prove you can beat it, then suspend deaths until you figure out how to catch it.
    I will retry but on another patch of water and with better tactics hopefully.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Pokémon Go has finally reached generation 2 guys.

Nicknames for evolving eevees seem to be:

Sakura (Espeon)
    Tamao (Umbreon)
    Umbreon's CP is total garbage though. Use Sakura on your good Eevees.

So far there don't seem to be new regional exclusives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting