New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Black Widow needs her own movie!

Im thinking a Bond, Jane Bond, style film. She works for SHIELD so she has her own Q division for neat gadgets, the black widow seducing her way into an old school infiltration, stealing secrets and making her getaway with a few well choreographed fight scenes, would be badass as hell. Maybe have a throwaway scene at the end where she gets back in and Tony is like, "So what were YOU up to all this time?" "Meh, typical tuesday"

We could even work with a few of the avengers universe groups like she has to infiltrate AIM and steal some info on what, I dunno, MODOK or the scientist supreme is up to. Or various other bad guys with full scale criminal organizations that arent headed up by people way out of her league like The Leader for example.

If thats no good then we could always go the origin story route. Cause man, her origin is a BEAUT!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Black Widow needs her own movie!

For what it's worth, there's a Ghost in the Shell movie coming out this year. Yeah, I know it's not exactly a Black Widow movie, but it stars Scarlett Johnson being all acrobatic and sexy and shooting up robots, so it's kind of the same thing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

You know who really needs getting in the MCU in her own movie (or TV show).

She Hulk.

She's always been way less boring than regular flavour Hulk, because she's got a personality aside from "Smash!", whilst keeping Smash! as an option on the table. Especially in the Netflix version of the MCU she'd be a necessary source of levity because she's a fun character as well.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Screw BW, double screw that GITS monstrosity, bring back Agent Carter and give her a movie or three as well as the TV show.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    *Black Widow Trailer*
    That is both hilarious and unfortunately probably a bit on the nose.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-01-22 at 09:06 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Toys are becoming less of an issue, due to the collectors market. The main issue they have now is that ScarJo is about the hottest commodity among actresses, and she's committed to other projects for the next few years. If they want it sooner than, oh, 2022, they'll need to do something else.

Which is helped by the fact that the only strong solo storyline the Widow has (as opposed to sidekicking with {male} heroes) is her origin with the Red Room. You'd need a younger actress though (like the one who played her in the Ultron flashbacks).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Black Widow totally needs a movie as the main character, there's no discussion. However, a fanfic approach of "one day in the life of..." would be an incredible waste of such a movie. Black Widow is a very interesting character that deserves a character arc and some development that's not a romantic sub-subplot with the Hulk, and her solo movie should be that. It could be a great way to weave the Secret Avengers into the MCU, for example.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

10. - Top - End - #10

Aside from her origin story, while she doesnt have a huge number of potential bad guys in her own rogues gallery, she is still one of SHIELDs top agents. Infiltrating AIM, or HYDRA, the Mandarins operation, or the Maggia woiuld give us the badass black widow spy movie where she is DOING HER JOB. She isnt really a superhero as such, she is a super spy. An infiltrator, an espionage expert, a thief and at time, assassin. Yeah she can clearly kick butt on par with any street level hero out there but thats not really what she is best at. As for some of the other arguments in that linked video, she would have no harder time going back to being a supporting character after getting a stand alone than any of the other avengers do with not being the main protagonist in an avengers film. The toy line.... eh. I think thats a relic holdover from the days when comic nerds were boys and unless it was anatomically correct, wouldnt much want a girl action figure. But the collectors are still going to want it, and im sure there is a sizeable audience of ladies out there who would like an action figure of their ass kicking female avenger character.

I do agree the biggest stumbling block is her now very busy schedule. By the time she could get around to filming a stand alone im pretty sure the hype would be fairly dead. I just really think it kinda sucks.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Mecha View Post
    For what it's worth, there's a Ghost in the Shell movie coming out this year. Yeah, I know it's not exactly a Black Widow movie, but it stars Scarlett Johnson being all acrobatic and sexy and shooting up robots, so it's kind of the same thing.
    While I can appreciate how the two might be confused, there's one large difference to start with between the two characters. Motoko Kusanagi is Japanese.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    While I can appreciate how the two might be confused, there's one large difference to start with between the two characters. Motoko Kusanagi is Japanese.
    The fact that one is Russian and one is Japanese doesn't make him wrong. He's saying that since there is no Black Widow movie and unlikely to be one, the GITS movie is likely to be the next-best-thing that actually does exist along those lines (specifically the lines of ScarJo being acrobatic and sexy and fighting robots).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I think BW would be better suited for a Netflix-style spy series. For a super-hero movie, I'd rather have She-Hulk or Captain Marvel.
    Homebrew Stuff:

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    *Black Widow Trailer*
    Sadly, this is just too true.....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Which is helped by the fact that the only strong solo storyline the Widow has (as opposed to sidekicking with {male} heroes) is her origin with the Red Room. You'd need a younger actress though (like the one who played her in the Ultron flashbacks).
    There is no reason they could not do a young Black Widow movie. In fact one where Scarlet bookends the movie and does voice overs would work great. For example ''set'' the movie right after CA:Winter Solider. So Black Widow (Scarlet) is in a meeting with the idea of like ''ok, lets set the record straight, who are you Natasha?'' Then cue flashback, and (younger actress).....

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Aside from her origin story, while she doesnt have a huge number of potential bad guys in her own rogues gallery,
    This is much more of a good thing. A lot of MU villans are just tossed into movies for their super hero. But for BW, you can pick from the whole massive list of ''spy'' type villains in the Marvel universe.

And your not locked into ''ok, lets take this story line from the comics...change 99% of it except the names..and put it in the movie.''

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liffguard View Post
    I'm personally very partial to Richard K Morgan's take on how a Wido movie should go.
    So one of those ten-a-penny "dark and gritty" takes on a superhero that nobody has really pulled off on screen save Christopher Nolan? Something entirely at odds with almost everything that's made the Marvel films good and successful? I'm suddenly rather more relieved that such a venture is likely never to come to pass.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Yeah, that's pretty well spot on. There are bad reasons why there's no Black Widow movie, but there are good reasons as well, most notably the lack of a strong villain.

HYDRA served as the antagonist in most of her solo outings, and they're basically kaput as an organization now. (They suffered too many losses between Captain America, Avengers 2 and Agents of Shield. Eventually they ran out of heads.)
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-01-23 at 06:17 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty well spot on. There are bad reasons why there's no Black Widow movie, but there are good reasons as well, most notably the lack of a strong villain.
    Though most movie Marvel villains are weak anyway.

The nice thing is they could take anyone of the hundred evil ''spy'' villains, even if the Black Widow never ought them in issue whatever. Or get this, they could just make a new villain.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    Though most movie Marvel villains are weak anyway.
    I would disagree. Captain America in particular has had very strong villains. I also liked Loki, the Mandarin (the real one), Yellowjacket and Nebula.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron
    The nice thing is they could take anyone of the hundred evil ''spy'' villains, even if the Black Widow never ought them in issue whatever. Or get this, they could just make a new villain.
    Eh. Invented villains have generally had mixed results.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-01-23 at 09:17 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    We could even work with a few of the avengers universe groups like she has to infiltrate AIM and steal some info on what, I dunno, MODOK or the scientist supreme is up to. Or various other bad guys with full scale criminal organizations that arent headed up by people way out of her league like The Leader for example.
    I don't really see them pulling out MODOK any time soon (to much special effect for to little payoff I think). But someone like Monica Rappaccini? That I would love to see. I imagine if they ended up going with some Black Widow adventures it would end up being very low on the super-powered side of things anyways.

HYDRA served as the antagonist in most of her solo outings, and they're basically kaput as an organization now. (They suffered too many losses between Captain America, Avengers 2 and Agents of Shield. Eventually they ran out of heads.)
    Marvel never really was lacking in the 'villainous organization' department and I always liked AIM more then HYDRA anyways. I mean, a whole organization based around mad science? There's so much to work with there!

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    You know who really needs getting in the MCU in her own movie (or TV show).

She Hulk.

She's always been way less boring than regular flavour Hulk, because she's got a personality aside from "Smash!", whilst keeping Smash! as an option on the table. Especially in the Netflix version of the MCU she'd be a necessary source of levity because she's a fun character as well.
    Can you say 'Superhero courtroom antics'? Many of the She-Hulk stories were practically made for TV. Biggest obstacle I can think of is them trying to figure out a fluid way of introducing her other then 'Well, here she is!".
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2017-01-24 at 02:37 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I'm of the opinion that she should occupy the place that Mark Ruffalo's Hulk does, providing a viable supporting character to improve the work of other heroes. Her character is great for banter and providing a contrasting worldview from the other characters, Captain America: The Winter Soldier in particularly is a better movie for her presence in it because of how simplistic the Captain America character can be. Just as with Ruffalo, his presence in the next Thor movie is an all-around great idea for what he can provide the Thor character.

This is not what I would have said much earlier into the MCU's development, but at this point they're already pushing hard with future projects that adding more is less than ideal. Particularly with fledgling entries like Black Panther and Captain Marvel not yet having the possibility to prove themselves.

However, were I to design a Black Widow movie, I'd have picked up on Peggy Carter's story-line regarding Leviathan and the whole idea of Soviet Russia's answer to Hydra which tied into Black Widow's past. Have Madame Hydra as the villain - I suppose it's trite to give the female superhero a female supervillain but she's the most popular Marvel villain of which Marvel Studios has the rights and is within Natasha Romanov's skill to defeat - only tie her into the Black Widow program and lead a bunch of Leviathan militants who Black Widow has chosen to hunt down for character reasons after she learns that they're alive and in operation (which would also preclude the addition of other MCU heroes because she'll have internal justifications for wanting to resolve it on her own).

Carry on her redemption theme and have the villains-side have some ambiguity to it, insofar as that if she could become a hero than maybe they can despite what was done to them. The threat would also have to be of reasonable scale and the impetus for us the viewer would be more on the character-level than something more existential.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2017-01-24 at 03:22 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    However, were I to design a Black Widow movie, I'd have picked up on Peggy Carter's story-line regarding Leviathan and the whole idea of Soviet Russia's answer to Hydra which tied into Black Widow's past. Have Madame Hydra as the villain - I suppose it's trite to give the female superhero a female supervillain but she's the most popular Marvel villain of which Marvel Studios has the rights and is within Natasha Romanov's skill to defeat - only tie her into the Black Widow program and lead a bunch of Leviathan militants who Black Widow has chosen to hunt down for character reasons after she learns that they're alive and in operation (which would also preclude the addition of other MCU heroes because she'll have internal justifications for wanting to resolve it on her own).
    Can it be from when Viper was Madame Hydra? It would be a chance for the MCU to do a character better than Fox, because Viper was a terrible lizard-woman in The Wolverine. It would put the two even after Quicksilver.

22. - Top - End - #22

A Black Widow movie will have to have her backstory, and her backstory is literally every single Cold War cliche put together. So it would be tricky to pull off. I don't think the comparison to James Bond is apt, because James Bond is not a person. His backstory is "guy who drinks martinis and shoots people" and that's easy to get out of the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

One thing I would expect from this movie is BW being known as someone to be feared. I want everyone to react to her name the way people do to John Wick, no underestimation, no point scoring attempt to dominate, she's terrifying and everyone knows it.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    One thing I would expect from this movie is BW being known as someone to be feared. I want everyone to react to her name the way people do to John Wick, no underestimation, no point scoring attempt to dominate, she's terrifying and everyone knows it.
    I like this idea a lot. Who would antagonize her and why, though?

25. - Top - End - #25

Flumph

I would disagree. Captain America in particular has had very strong villains. I also liked Loki, the Mandarin (the real one), Yellowjacket and Nebula.
    Captain America doesn't have strong villains though. That's why the Cap movies have barely used them.

Marvel really does have a weak set of villains, most individual heroes' rogues gallery are all small timers that nobody has heard of, and there are relatively few exceptions to that like Doctor Doom or Magneto.

Why do you think their big summer crossovers are all "and now the heroes fight each other!?!". Because there's only so many times Doom can be behind it all along.

26. - Top - End - #26

Why do you think their big summer crossovers are all "and now the heroes fight each other!?!". Because there's only so many times Doom can be behind it all along.
    Why do you think the heroes all fight each other? Doom was behind that all along too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Something to do with her record being declassified, maybe? Baggage from some past mission that comes to light, something is uncovered that was meant to stay buried. This information hints at something larger that endangers some influential figure, who has to take steps to race her to it to protect themselves.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Captain America doesn't have strong villains though. That's why the Cap movies have barely used them.
    The Red Skull isn't one of the most notable Marvel villains of all time?

Without looking it up, name five villains from the comic books that Black Widow has faced outside of the pages of the Avengers or the West Coast Avengers. Hell, name just one not affiliated with HIVE or AIM.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-01-24 at 05:03 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

29. - Top - End - #29

Professor Phobos
    Red Guardian
    Steel Guardian
    Starlight
    Black Widow (Yelena Belova)

30. - Top - End - #30

The good Marvel villains? Spiderman is hogging them all. Goblin(s), Venom, Octopus, that Safari Guy. Lesser: Scorpio, Kingpin.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).