New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Who is "Charlie"

OK, this is going to seem dumb. But there have been several references to this "charlie" character on Ansom's side (ex 43, 51) - who is this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Who is "Charlie"

Quote Originally Posted by Ouze View Post
    OK, this is going to seem dumb. But there have been several references to this "charlie" character on Ansom's side (ex 43, 51) - who is this?
    This is Charlie.
    A mercenary leader.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

the one in the purple hood? Thanks. Have been wondering.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

The satellite dish, actually.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

The disembodied voice from the mountain fortress. A running gag in the Charlie's Angels TV show was that the audience never got to see Charlie; he was just a voice from a speakerphone.
    Last edited by Scientivore; 2007-07-20 at 02:00 PM.
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Charlie is the blonde flying girl in panel 4, I believe, a reference to "Charlie's Angels".
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    Just checking... you do realize that when someone puts a funny hat on, they don't instantly split into two separate people, right?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mockingbyrd7 View Post
    Charlie is the blonde flying girl in panel 4, I believe, a reference to "Charlie's Angels".
    Please... Charlie was the boss!
    None of the Angels were ever named Charlie.

8. - Top - End - #8

Who is 'Charlie"?

John Forsythe. I thought everybody knew that.

9. - Top - End - #9

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Who is 'Charlie"?

John Forsythe. I thought everybody knew that.
    Dangnabbit, you had me believing right up to the end that I'd be the one to say this.

So instead, I'll just say that the TV show, for all it's dated and cheesy, was still better than the movies.
    Don't bother trying to appeal to my better nature; I don't have one.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by fangthane View Post
    Dangnabbit, you had me believing right up to the end that I'd be the one to say this.
    So now, who is "Jack" (aka "Mr. Box")?

I seem to remember a report somewhere that it's Robert Picardo, but can't confirm that.

11. - Top - End - #11

BardGuy

So now, who is "Jack" (aka "Mr. Box")?

I seem to remember a report somewhere that it's Robert Picardo, but can't confirm that.
    It's definitely not Picardo; I don't know how anyone could confuse the voice with his... I don't know offhand though, other than the one link I googled which appears to indicate that a "Jack Tate" may be the guy under the styrofoam ball. It also pointed to a site with unconfirmed rumours that the ad-man responsible for designing the campaign may provide his voice.

I have to admit, I'm impressed they've kept a lid on things so long; of course it also doesn't matter a whole lot unless the guy's looking to pad his voice-acting resume.
    Don't bother trying to appeal to my better nature; I don't have one.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by fangthane View Post
    I have to admit, I'm impressed they've kept a lid on things so long; of course it also doesn't matter a whole lot unless the guy's looking to pad his voice-acting resume.
    It's not all that far off. And unlike Charlie, there's more involved then just the voice. There's body language as well, which (along with the painted mouths) pretty much define "Jack." Getting an impression across without well defined facial expressions is quite an art in itself. Although of course it needn't even be the same actor. Everybody recognizes James Earl Jones as Darth Vader's voice, but the guy in the suit was David Prowse, and you probably wouldn't know him if you saw him on the street. Still got paid though.

13. - Top - End - #13

So, once bought, do Charlie's loyalties remain constant? Or could Stanley and Parson buy him off and get him to withdraw his Archons?

14. - Top - End - #14

Don't ask who charlie is, it'll never be answered. No one in their right mind would kill a joke which has gone on for twenty years.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Everybody recognizes James Earl Jones as Darth Vader's voice, but the guy in the suit was David Prowse, and you probably wouldn't know him if you saw him on the street.
    Actually, I would; Prowse was a very familiar figure on British TV during the 70's and 80's, where everyone knew him as Green Cross Man—a superhero who saved the day by teaching kids how to cross the road without going splat. (Really.) From recent photos he's still recognisable in his '70s. He's also very tall by British standards and would stand out in a crowd.

James Earl Jones, on the other hand, I wouldn't know from Adam, and probably wouldn't recognise his voice without the reverb.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenputtyknife View Post
    James Earl Jones, on the other hand, I wouldn't know from Adam, and probably wouldn't recognise his voice without the reverb.
    Ah OK, allow me to illuminate: [Image]

James Earl Jones - (Wikipedia) Screen Awrds: (IMDb)

And unless you're talking about Vadar's added "machine/air flow" effects, that's not a reverb. That is his voice. That's why he was chosen for the dubbing, just as Prowse was chosen for his height.

With Forsythe on the other hand, while a well known American TV figure himself (Uncle Bentley on "Bachelor Father"), everybody in the production company thought "they'll rknow that voice, but go crazy trying to remember where."

Didn't happen, which is why it was one of TV's "worst kept secrets" of all time.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Ah OK, allow me to illuminate: [Image]

James Earl Jones - (Wikipedia) Screen Awrds: (IMDb)

And unless you're talking about Vadar's added "machine/air flow" effects, that's not a reverb. That is his voice. That's why he was chosen for the dubbing, just as Prowse was chosen for his height.

With Forsythe on the other hand, while a well known American TV figure himself (Uncle Bentley on "Bachelor Father"), everybody in the production company thought "they'll rknow that voice, but go crazy trying to remember where."

Didn't happen, which is why it was one of TV's "worst kept secrets" of all time.
    Considering that Bachelor Father had been off the air for fourteen years when Charlie's Angels started, it wasn't a very good reference point. I probably never saw his face until he appeared in Dallas, but then again I never said "that voice sounds familiar" either, so the whole spectrum of speculation on "who is Charlie?" was lost on me; I simply didn't car, and didn't understand what the usefulness was of discovering that it was ---OMG--- "John Forsyth," as if that answered a question. Now who was that? I was always more interested in the sheerness of Jacklyn Smith's dresses, anyway.
    Illimir orc monk avatar by yours, truly. He seems to be looking for his cigarettes.

18. - Top - End - #18

Charlie is in the trees.