New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    The problem being that Palpatine also uses that power, and indicates no willingness to become one with the Force. It's the reason he suddenly takes off from Coruscant and goes to Mustafar: "I sense Lord Vader is in danger", right when he's in the middle of fighting Obi-Wan.
    He's not talking about the long-distance sensing, I don't think - it's the "project your image and consciousness as a hologram halfway across the galaxy" that burns you out. Palpatine physically travelled to Mustafar, Luke didn't physically leave his planet.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Bingo! You win!
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

There were only ever three starwars films. The original trilogy.

4. - Top - End - #814

EvilClericGuy

That is not head canon. That's fanon dissonance.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosCowboy View Post
    My problem with this is that the original trilogy is OK plot executed mostly very well (The majority of RotJ is ****ing terrible), whilst the prequel trillogy is an excellent plot that was executed poorly. The Ideas behind I to III are excellent (except midoWhatsItCalled) and I don't think the prequels, in spirit if not the films, should ever be axed from canon.

The sequel trillogy is terrible plot executed mostly poorly. I think FN's a great character directed very well in the first film, and Kylo vastly improves in the second film. I like the design of the ships in TFA and think it has some of the best saber fights in the series. That's all the good I can say for those films. We'd be better of with a reboot.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Personally I felt the originals were good movies with a good plot, the prequels were bad movies with a great plot, and the sequels are good movies with a bad plot.

If TLJ and TFA weren't called Star Wars and weren't trying to be a trilogy I would like them a lot individually. Better then Valerian, up there with GotG.

If the prequels weren't Star Wars I would hate them.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Firbolg in the Playground

Azathoth is Sagittarius A-star
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosCowboy View Post
    Yes, it’s called 1983 - 1999.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

9. - Top - End - #819

I haven't delved into the insanity that is the entire canon of Highlander, so this might actually be confirmed somewhere, but my headcanon is that immortals age normally until they first receive a mortal wound, and then are frozen at that age, explaining why Sean Connery's character is physically much older than Christopher Lambert's.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

10. - Top - End - #820

Yup. That's also why they have the occasional child Immortal (and at least one infant Immortal who 'died' during the Black Death).

11. - Top - End - #821
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    I haven't delved into the insanity that is the entire canon of Highlander, so this might actually be confirmed somewhere, but my headcanon is that immortals age normally until they first receive a mortal wound, and then are frozen at that age, explaining why Sean Connery's character is physically much older than Christopher Lambert's.
    I think the Highlander series pretty much made that canon:

http://highlander.wikia.com/wiki/Immortal

According to Panzer, Immortals "carry within them the seed of their immortality which is triggered by a violent death." Duncan MacLeod explained this to Felicia Martins in the Highlander: The Series episode "Free Fall"; he says, "It's only when we die that we become Immortal."[11] They come back to life, fully healed. This is called the First Death. Most Immortals feel their resurrection is a miracle. In "Avenging Angel", Duncan MacLeod comments, "That's what we die as other humans."
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

12. - Top - End - #822
    Troll in the Playground

My personal Marvel headcanon is that in the Marvel comics universe, 1960 was actually only about fifteen years ago. This is why everyone who was alive back then is only one or two decades older. Some people age a bit faster thanks to all the cosmic garbage around messing up timeflow a bit, but generally, the world has only progressed fifteen years in all that time.

The reason that the Marvel universe has as much technology as our universe even though it's only actually 1975 there is that people like Reed Richards have really, really sped up technological growth in the setting.

13. - Top - End - #823

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    My personal Marvel headcanon is that in the Marvel comics universe, 1960 was actually only about fifteen years ago. This is why everyone who was alive back then is only one or two decades older. Some people age a bit faster thanks to all the cosmic garbage around messing up timeflow a bit, but generally, the world has only progressed fifteen years in all that time.

The reason that the Marvel universe has as much technology as our universe even though it's only actually 1975 there is that people like Reed Richards have really, really sped up technological growth in the setting.
    I subscribe to the idea that the Marvel Universe has actually been subsumed into the personal universe of Franklin Richards, A godlike child who is terrified of growing up, and his power is what keeps the universe in stasis.

14. - Top - End - #824

Marvel has always used a sliding time scale. Every seven years in real life equals about one Marvel year. Still have weird situations where Nixon was president and Franklin Richards is still a kid. Fast forward to Obama...
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Marvel has always used a sliding time scale. Every seven years in real life equals about one Marvel year. Still have weird situations where Nixon was president and Franklin Richards is still a kid. Fast forward to Obama...
    That would be why it's a headcanon, and not actual canon, yes.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

At least Marvel doesn't have DCs problem of main characters who would now be about 110 and are instead still in their mid 30s (Supes and Batman especially.)

17. - Top - End - #827

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    At least Marvel doesn't have DCs problem of main characters who would now be about 110 and are instead still in their mid 30s (Supes and Batman especially.)
    They do.

It's only some characters who have a fig leaf of "such and such stops them aging".

Frankin Richards has been variously between five and twelve since 1973. Sometimes he ages backwards.

I'm telling you. Marvel is stuck in an endless stasis of Franklin's creation, because omnipotent five year olds do that sort of thing.

18. - Top - End - #828

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Too be fair thats mainly answered by reboots. Like, superman may have ORIGINALLY crashed into kansas back in, I dunno, 1930, but with each reboot the year he landed moves forward to better fit the current reality. Luckily nothing ever changes in kansas so its always the same setting. Same for batman, at best its a change from black and white zorro films to color remakes.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #829

EvilClericGuy

Here's another of my Harry Potter Headcanon.

It is a common belief in Potterverse fandom that Galleons and Sickles being made out of pure gold and silver. This never stated in canon. And if it were true, the official conversion rate for pounds and galleons work out such that someone could just keep converting pounds to wizarding coins, melting those coins for their precious metals, and buying more pounds than one started with. Since no one has ever done this in canon, we must assume that Gallons and Sickles are not made out of pure gold and silver.

And there's another problem I have with wizarding money. The Wizarding world is supposed to be kept secret from the Muggle world. Ever lose a penny? So what happens when a muggle finds a discarded Gallon, Sickle, or Knut? Wouldn't there be a conspiracy website about these strange coins that have no connection to any known culture?

Here's the Headcanon: Goblins are more or less in control of the wizard's banking system. They also mint the coins. All Galleons and Sickles contain a small amount of their respective precious metal, but no more than is needed for the exchange rate to be equal. The rest of the coin is a goblin forged magic metal that either disguises it from muggles or returns it to Gringotts if lost.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Does it actually give the wizard exchange rate to be anything like pounds?

An obvious thing, is that the wizard coins could be enchanted to appear like something non-valuable to muggles. It actually makes sense for wizard gold to be magical in more than a few ways, for instance to avoid counterfits.

My headcannon, for a lot of things anyhow, is that magic is inherently for either illogical people or those susceptible to conforming to illogical notions, the reasonable child of two wizards ends up a squib. This is why the harry potter universe is filled with so many cool but terrible ideas.

The same goes for magic and hypertech in a lot of settings.
    People tend to latch onto something, explore all the ways they can exploit it, and then use the best ways repeatedly for profit. Wizards and their technological counterparts don't do this, because they'd nullify the magic with that kind of thought.

21. - Top - End - #831

EvilClericGuy

Rowling stated in 2001 the conversion rate would have been 5 pounds to the galleon.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Still possibly useful. Assuming the goblins aren't morons (a high probability, since they are not wizards), we can figure out how much gold 5 pounds will buy and assume that a galleon's gold content is less than that amount.

23. - Top - End - #833

EvilClericGuy

Earlier today I calculated that a galleon minted in 2018 would contain 155.6 milligrams of gold.

24. - Top - End - #834

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    Here's the Headcanon: Goblins are more or less in control of the wizard's banking system. They also mint the coins. All Galleons and Sickles contain a small amount of their respective precious metal, but no more than is needed for the exchange rate to be equal. The rest of the coin is a goblin forged magic metal that either disguises it from muggles or returns it to Gringotts if lost.
    To Muggles, the coins look like souvenir novelty tokens rather than money. Heck, you don't even need magic to pull that off.

25. - Top - End - #835

Its equally possible that goblin coins are something the icw has already taken care of. If a muggle finds one, its some ancient made up coinage from the land of oompa loompa or whatever, maybe eastern elbonia. Not worth that much other than collectors value as it is mostly gold colored tin. On the other hand, its equally possible the icw again took a hand in this and basically made it flat out illegal, under penalty of catapult, to do the whole, melt down galleons sell for gold value, exchange for more galleons thing. It even makes sense considering how badly it would crash every economy on earth to do it. In addition the fact the two worlds must stay separate of course, so exchanging galleons for cash is a heavily controlled process.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #836

EvilClericGuy

More Harry Potter Headcanon -

Trelawney is always predicting death and seeing death in visions. This makes perfect sense as Hogwarts is the site of the final battle of the second wizarding war. 80 of Hogwarts defenders died in the battle and a uncounted, but majority, of the Death Eaters died. That future event is affecting her divinations.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    More Harry Potter Headcanon -

Trelawney is always predicting death and seeing death in visions. This makes perfect sense as Hogwarts is the site of the final battle of the second wizarding war. 80 of Hogwarts defenders died in the battle and a uncounted, but majority, of the Death Eaters died. That future event is affecting her divinations.
    Oh I quite like that one, kudos!

(although I believe in the book most the death eaters just routed and teleported out once things started going downhill for them, still plenty of death to go around).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thing is Marvel made way too many references to popular people at the time its made. Take, for example, the bunch of public figures in the 2000s replaced during Secret Invasion.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ettin in the Playground

Wheel Of Time

Spoiler
    Show
    The ritual of Rhuidean doesn't just eliminate Aiel that can't take the truth of their past. It also makes it extremely difficult for Darkfriends or Wise Ones. This is why they're not as dysfunctional as the rest of the world - they don't have nearly as many Darkfriends in high places sabotaging everything.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ed Edd & Eddy/Kids Next Door crossover theory:

Ed and DD were once KND operatives until they were involved in a tragic experiment. DD (who I expect was called Number 44, because "d" is the fourth letter) was called upon to create a process of making super soldiers, with Ed as the first to undergo the procedure. He was granted tremendous strength, but something went wrong, and Ed experienced severe mental degradation. DD left the KND in guilt, bringing Ed with him to better keep an eye on him.

DD knows that the KND will eventually come to officially decommission him when he turns 13, so he installed implants in his head to resist memory wipes. It's still a work in progress, so he always wears a hat to conceal them.

Sarah's attitude toward Ed is caused by seeing his transformation without knowing what really happened. From her perspective, her brother disappeared for days, then came back far different than how he used to be. Her behavior is an attempt to distance herself from Ed, thus in her hopes dropping the trauma of that experience.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.