New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

Quote Originally Posted by NovenFromTheSun View Post
    Ed Edd & Eddy/Kids Next Door crossover theory:

Ed and DD were once KND operatives until they were involved in a tragic experiment. DD (who I expect was called Number 44, because "d" is the fourth letter) was called upon to create a process of making super soldiers, with Ed as the first to undergo the procedure. He was granted tremendous strength, but something went wrong, and Ed experienced severe mental degradation. DD left the KND in guilt, bringing Ed with him to better keep an eye on him.

DD knows that the KND will eventually come to officially decommission him when he turns 13, so he installed implants in his head to resist memory wipes. It's still a work in progress, so he always wears a hat to conceal them.

Sarah's attitude toward Ed is caused by seeing his transformation without knowing what really happened. From her perspective, her brother disappeared for days, then came back far different than how he used to be. Her behavior is an attempt to distance herself from Ed, thus in her hopes dropping the trauma of that experience.
    I hate to kill headcanons, as a rule, but Ed and Eddy were friends before DD moved to the Cul-de-sac.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #842
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I hate to kill headcanons, as a rule, but Ed and Eddy were friends before DD moved to the Cul-de-sac.
    Pity. I think I know the episode you were referring to, but didn't remember how it went completely, so I hoped it's leave some holes to pass this through.

Nevertheless, I have another one I wish to curse the world with.

Sleepy Hollow: Brom is the Headless Horseman, but not in the way you'd expect....

Being an undead abomination can be fun and all, but it can get lonely too. So sometimes the horseman takes a living guise to interact with the other people. Of course, sometimes he returns to his true form to give people he doesn't like a scare.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    They do.

It's only some characters who have a fig leaf of "such and such stops them aging".

Frankin Richards has been variously between five and twelve since 1973. Sometimes he ages backwards.

I'm telling you. Marvel is stuck in an endless stasis of Franklin's creation, because omnipotent five year olds do that sort of thing.
    There's a Shortpacked! comic strip where they point out that Batman is always 30ish - therefore, before long his parents will have been killed as they leave a screening of Pokemon - The First Movie or somesuch.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Half of Film Theory / Game Theory / TV Theory.

(Which half? Bwa-ha-ha!)
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinewmire View Post
    There's a Shortpacked! comic strip where they point out that Batman is always 30ish - therefore, before long his parents will have been killed as they leave a screening of Pokemon - The First Movie or somesuch.
    Yeah. I've always understood the DC superheroes' origins to have taken place a specific distance in the past, rather than on a particular fixed date. Similar to how Mystery Science Theater 3000 takes place "next sunday (A.D.)"
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #846

EvilClericGuy

Ducktales (2017) plays it straight with Scrooge McDuck being born in 1867. Making him 151 in the current season. But in the 15th episode explains that he was stuck in a Demigorgana timeless demon dimension for a period of time. His parents are also alive on account of Scrooge rebuilding the ancestral castle with discount druid cornerstones.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, they integrated Glomgold's South African origin from the comics into this version. Also, very atmospheric dream sequence and the new CEO of Glomgold Industries seems surprisingly sane.

Also, I headcanon that this and the Fethry episode happen at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

8. - Top - End - #848

EvilClericGuy

Here is another Harry Potter head canon. And it is a doozy.

The wizards are concerned about keeping magic a secret from the muggles. The minister for magic reports to the Muggle Prime Minister. Wizards and witches live in isolated communities that discourage mixing between Muggles and magic-folk. I've heard more that one commentator compare the wizarding community to that of the Native Americans living on reservations. Wizards and Witches appear to be a conquered people.

But at no point in the books is a Muggle-Wizard war ever mentioned. There is however a number of Wizard Goblin Wars . . . and the Goblins are in complete control of the banking system of the wizarding world. Not something the losers of a war accomplish.

Goblins don't appear to be great warriors. They are known for finances and making magical weapons and armor. So my head canon is The Wizards either lost or stalemated in the final Goblin War. The Goblins won by arming the muggles with magical weapons and financing their armies.

The terms of the Armistice where that muggles had to be kept in the dark about magic so that the Goblins could not use them in war again. And the Goblins got a lot of profit.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

9. - Top - End - #849

BlackDragon

My Little Pony is telling real stories that actually happened.

BUT: As with any retelling, especially one redone for an audience, it only bears some resemblance to the truth; this is especially true when it has to fit a 22 minute story telling window. As such, what we see on the screen is only an approximation to the reality.

Hence, if someone only has a minute to do something evil/wrong, it will be altered to fit -- for example, instead of showing someone talking a young colt into doing something dangerous, you simply see them strapped to the rocket and that's it. And when something in the show seems rushed or pushed, it's because of this 22 minute limit, not because of what really happened.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

10. - Top - End - #850

It's totally unsupported but I like to imagine Lovecraft's Mi-Go as paragoombas with bug eyes and possibly yeti fur
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

11. - Top - End - #851
    Dwarf in the Playground

Diablo:

Because khazra originated from humans, it may be possible that they start producing nephelem.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NovenFromTheSun View Post
    Diablo:

Because khazra originated from humans, it may be possible that they start producing nephelem.
    thanks for sub big bad for the 4th game how you want your mark of chaos flavor we have magical, martial, mad science, and lust based marks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Troll in the Playground

This isn't so quite headcanon, but this thread can't be complete without throwing this in.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Oldest and Fatherless: Tom Bombadill as a Great Evil

Revenge of the Hope, which posits R2D2 and Chewbacca as key agents of the Rebellion, each aided by their unsuspecting companion, is another good one.

And, on a simpler note, I prefer to interpret Batman as a low-level meta... in Marvel FASERIP, he has something like Feeble level powers that, nonetheless, combine to make him difficult to permanently cripple and incredibly adept at picking up new skills and information.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #855

The Grinch is a troll of some sort. In traditional folklore trolls could not stand the sound of churchbells, which are the only christmas-associated sound which could conceivably be heard all the way outside of town where the Grinch lives and generate his complaint about noise.

Omegaupdate Forum

16. - Top - End - #856
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Oldest and Fatherless: Tom Bombadill as a Great Evil

Revenge of the Hope, which posits R2D2 and Chewbacca as key agents of the Rebellion, each aided by their unsuspecting companion, is another good one.
    These are surprisingly good.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    The Grinch is a troll of some sort. In traditional folklore trolls could not stand the sound of churchbells, which are the only christmas-associated sound which could conceivably be heard all the way outside of town where the Grinch lives and generate his complaint about noise.
    I love it. Considering that troll was what the Scandinavian Pagans are referred to as in some Conversion era Christian texts, I can now describe The Grinch as a white washed version of the sacking if Lindisfarne.

18. - Top - End - #858

Grampa Joe from Willy Wonka is either a hypochondriac or a malingerer. He goes from being bedridden to having no sign of illness awfully fast
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-12-10 at 03:12 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

19. - Top - End - #859

The factions in Warhammer 40k can be broadly divided into two categories, those that embrace life and those who worship death.

The death worshippers include the Imperium, the Craftworld Eldar, and the Necrons. The imperium worships a dead man, the eldar worship a god of death, and the necrons literally are dead. All of these factions actively oppose vibrancy and living of life in the manner of an actual natural biological organism, instead reducing their members to unthinking soulless machines (in the case of the Necrons this is even literal)

The life affirming factions are the orks, the tyranids, and the ruinous powers. The tyranids are driven by eating and reproduction. The ork kultur revolves around rowdiness and they weild weapons powered by imagination. And the Chaos Gods, even Khorne and Nurgle, are formed from vitality and emotion rather than matter and their follower reflect this.

Omegaupdate Forum

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ogre in the Playground

In Goblin Slayer when the sword maiden declares that to heal the protagonist from his grievous wounds they need to share a bed naked she's just making up the last part as an excuse to get in bed naked with Goblin Slayer. Priestess girl sees through her bluff since they're both priestesses but instead of calling it "reminds" the sword maiden that a virgin is needed so she can join too. The other characters and Goblin Slayer himself don't have enough knowledge of priestly magic to see through the lie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

21. - Top - End - #861

In Warhammer 40k the next evolutionary step beyond multicellular life is the formation of a collective consciousnesses. Any civilization of creatures with souls that becomes numerous enough and/or powerful enough for long enough without being wiped out will eventually evolve into a collective consciousness like the Tyranid hivemind or Slaanesh
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-12-28 at 01:56 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Batman is actually a super-powered bat-monster that dedicates a lot of time to a misinformation campaign that insists he's just a normal dude. Batman is totally Bruce Wayne, who definitely doesn't have super-powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

23. - Top - End - #863

Flumph

Batman is actually a super-powered bat-monster that dedicates a lot of time to a misinformation campaign that insists he's just a normal dude. Batman is totally Bruce Wayne, who definitely doesn't have super-powers.
    That's just Man-Bat.

24. - Top - End - #864

An in-universe one that I love is that Tim Drake posts to message boards about the identity of Batman, insisting that it is Bruce Wayne, because they have the same butt. "The butts match!" He will post long screeds about this, with dubious photographic evidence (including pictures of Batman's cape with the butt contours MS Painted onto it), and a number of reasons why his butt print theory is obvious proof.

Bruce HATES it, but it's been a remarkably effective campaign, since any time someone insists that Bruce Wayne is Batman, they get dismissed with "Do the butts match?"
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    An in-universe one that I love is that Tim Drake posts to message boards about the identity of Batman, insisting that it is Bruce Wayne, because they have the same butt. "The butts match!" He will post long screeds about this, with dubious photographic evidence (including pictures of Batman's cape with the butt contours MS Painted onto it), and a number of reasons why his butt print theory is obvious proof.

Bruce HATES it, but it's been a remarkably effective campaign, since any time someone insists that Bruce Wayne is Batman, they get dismissed with "Do the butts match?"
    Ok thats freaking hilarious. When did that come out? The reason i ask is, I read a fanfic crossover between the justice league and harry potter where hermione basically talks about how good the various butts are in the league (Apparently batmans is the best) and now im wondering if it was done as an in joke because she also has entire scrap books devoted to figuring out who everyone really is.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #866

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Ok thats freaking hilarious. When did that come out? The reason i ask is, I read a fanfic crossover between the justice league and harry potter where hermione basically talks about how good the various butts are in the league (Apparently batmans is the best) and now im wondering if it was done as an in joke because she also has entire scrap books devoted to figuring out who everyone really is.
    I saw it as a tumblr post, I don't think it's in any way canon.
    The Cranky Gamer

27. - Top - End - #867
    Orc in the Playground

I don't remember where I originally read it, but there was a fan theory that, in the Star Wars 'Verse, there is no written language. This is in part why C-3PO had to have human form to communicate with machines. This also explains why no one believes in the force in New Hope, or remembers The Jedi. Information gets cloistered by planetary travel and has to be expressed and received analog. I have no idea how a universe like that could possible function, but its interesting to think about.

My favorite Batman theory is that Bruce Wayne, after returning from his training montage to become The Bat, decides to try to clone himself so that there will always be a Batman. The first run is a complete failure, taking on all of Bruce Wayne's intellect and psychological damage but has never experienced the traumatic event of his parents death. This clone becomes the Joker. This is why Joker can't remember his past, Batman feels responsible for him and The Joker is always one step ahead of him. This project was code named Red Hood and scrapped, due to it's abysmal failure, and Bruce took up adoption for replacements instead. Jason Todd was the only one (aside from Alfred) to know about it and donned it as his moniker.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Son of A Lich! View Post
    I don't remember where I originally read it, but there was a fan theory that, in the Star Wars 'Verse, there is no written language. This is in part why C-3PO had to have human form to communicate with machines. This also explains why no one believes in the force in New Hope, or remembers The Jedi. Information gets cloistered by planetary travel and has to be expressed and received analog. I have no idea how a universe like that could possible function, but its interesting to think about.
    Doesn't work, in return of the jedi they infiltrate the moon of endor remember? and they send a code in the ship they use to infiltrate on, saying that its an older code but it checks out, and there is no vocal utterance of the code, so it must be transferred visually. also if there was no written language, they wouldn't be able to use keypads to do things like release Solo from the carbonite, as there are a lot of buttons in Star Wars and you can't have that many buttons without a written system of language to tell you what those buttons do. oh and the hyperspace calculations, don't forget those, those require MATH, the most abstract and symbolic language of all. they need math for all those screens they operate to be accurate, they have written language. those numbers shown on the screens? thats a language, so that theory is wrong.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Doesn't work, in return of the jedi they infiltrate the moon of endor remember? and they send a code in the ship they use to infiltrate on, saying that its an older code but it checks out, and there is no vocal utterance of the code, so it must be transferred visually.
    That doesn't mean that it's language in any real sense. A particular radio signal would do that just fine, but that's not the same thing as writing.

also if there was no written language, they wouldn't be able to use keypads to do things like release Solo from the carbonite, as there are a lot of buttons in Star Wars and you can't have that many buttons without a written system of language to tell you what those buttons do.
    You can totally have that many buttons without a written system of language to tell you what those buttons do. Take a look at some of the more intricate valve and pipe systems out there, some of which are completely unlabeled, apart from being able to see which valves are on which pipes.

oh and the hyperspace calculations, don't forget those, those require MATH, the most abstract and symbolic language of all. they need math for all those screens they operate to be accurate, they have written language. those numbers shown on the screens? thats a language, so that theory is wrong.
    It's a semantic system which contains written notation. Calling it a language is sketchy at best.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Son of A Lich! View Post
    They invented an alphabet for the movies though, it’s called Aurebesh. It crops up in a lot of places if you look for it. Replacing all the labels of the controls of the Death Star from being written in plain English to being written in Aurebesh is about the only change to Episode IV that I’ve never seen anyone complain about.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.