New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

Was it specifically always the Mark of Zorro? I know his characterization included going to the theater/movies, but getting scared and wanting to leave early which put them in the alley to be killed. But I thought the specific show was one of those sliding time-scale things where it changed based on era.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    But The Dark Knight Returns assumes the original continuity is true and Batman is old as heck. I like the idea he actually dies fairly often and just comes back, so Crisis really did kill him and Bane permanently crippled him. Gotham itself just keeps putting him and his villains back together, which is why the redemption arcs never last.
    Some Robins do manage to escape from Gotham Hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

3. - Top - End - #903
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Was it specifically always the Mark of Zorro? I know his characterization included going to the theater/movies, but getting scared and wanting to leave early which put them in the alley to be killed. But I thought the specific show was one of those sliding time-scale things where it changed based on era.
    I'm pretty sure it's always 'The Mark of Zorro' but in later comics its explained by the cinema doing a season of classic movies
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

4. - Top - End - #904
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    David Willis has already talked about this.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    "I am the night! I am...GOLBAT-MAN!"
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-01-01 at 10:33 AM.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

*Quitely ignores the Mask of Zorro film that came out the same year as the first Pokemon movie*
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

7. - Top - End - #907

Mark, not Mask. Different movies, wildly so.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Mark, not Mask. Different movies, wildly so.
    The point is they could have used that as a substitute instead, it would at the very least be a little closer.

Not as funny for a comic though...
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-01-03 at 05:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

I've always thought of batman as the least realistic superhero. Somehow, A man with 5/5 for every ability, learned naturally, is less believable than atlanteans or Apokalips. He must be using alien/future technology to cheat.

Hypertech Steroids, Nanites, cybernetic brain chips... It's the billions that make him the "hero", not some super omni-talent and hard work.

For similar reasons, I think of "grounded" Frank Castle as less believable than High-tech/demon pact Frank Castle. The man takes too many wounds.
    Last edited by The Jack; 2019-01-03 at 03:25 PM.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    I've always thought of batman as the least realistic superhero. Somehow, A man with 5/5 for every ability, learned naturally, is less believable than atlanteans or Apokalips. He must be using alien/future technology to cheat.

Hypertech Steroids, Nanites, cybernetic brain chips... It's the billions that make him the "hero", not some super omni-talent and hard work.
    There was actually an official story where it is revealed the reason Bruce's parents managed to remain rich while being honest in super-corrupt Gotham city is because they managed to harvest some kryptonian uber tech that fell off from super-man's baby ship during entry on Earth and that gave them an unbeatable edge over the competition.

So yeah it makes sense that they would've either used that to improve their son or Bruce found their kryptonian tech stash and used it to pimp himself up.
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

11. - Top - End - #911

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    There was actually an official story where it is revealed the reason Bruce's parents managed to remain rich while being honest in super-corrupt Gotham city is because they managed to harvest some kryptonian uber tech that fell off from super-man's baby ship during entry on Earth and that gave them an unbeatable edge over the competition.

So yeah it makes sense that they would've either used that to improve their son or Bruce found their kryptonian tech stash and used it to pimp himself up.
    I kind of prefer the "Thomas and Martha used Kryptonian Tech to improve Bruce without his knowledge" angle.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Colossus in the Playground

I kind of prefer the "Thomas and Martha used Kryptonian Tech to improve Bruce without his knowledge" angle.
    I prefer the "Bruce is claimed by the Bat Totem which allows him to maintain his physique with minimal efforts once he gets it." Its also why he is unnaturally sneaky, even to the point of surprising superman who can hear flies fart from the other side of the space station.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #913

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I prefer the "Bruce is claimed by the Bat Totem which allows him to maintain his physique with minimal efforts once he gets it." Its also why he is unnaturally sneaky, even to the point of surprising superman who can hear flies fart from the other side of the space station.
    Doesn't that kinda work out to be like the various Spider-People in Marvel being chosen of Spider?
    The Cranky Gamer

14. - Top - End - #914
    Firbolg in the Playground

Speaking of Batman and Kryptonian tech, it occurs to me that the best way for the Justice League to defeat Lex Luthor permanently would be funnel Kryptonian and Martian technology into the market through Waynecorp and drive Lex's heavily tech-focused company out of business.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

15. - Top - End - #915
    Bugbear in the Playground

I can't think of anything to add to the discussion, so here's two unrelated headcanons:

• Mousetrap is a game set in post-apocalyptic ruins of humanity, with somewhat uplifted mice fighting civil war over the wreckage. Blueprints for a terrible machine made by the legendary species of humanity have been discovered, and each mouse wants to turn this ultimate weapon on their fellows: the weapon that can now only be known as The Mousetrap.

• The nonsensical flailing common in the Star Wars lightsabre fights are actually the beginning of moves that the duelists' precognition tells them won't work or deliberate attempts to throw off the opponent's own future visions.
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2019-01-05 at 09:04 PM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

16. - Top - End - #916
    Firbolg in the Playground

Headcanon:

The reason the Firefly Verse is populated by a humanity that doesnt have FTL capability, yet was apparently able to move the entire population of Earth to this new system is because they did it through a Wormhole created by future humans during the movie Interstellar.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Speaking of Batman and Kryptonian tech, it occurs to me that the best way for the Justice League to defeat Lex Luthor permanently would be funnel Kryptonian and Martian technology into the market through Waynecorp and drive Lex's heavily tech-focused company out of business.
    Although finally sharing alien tech with the common people would be a great idea, I don't see it as defeating Lex Luthor for several reasons:
    -Lex's smart enough to just reverse-engineer that stuff and then start selling his own versions.
    -Lex also has his massive propaganda machine and lawyer armies, so even if the Justice League tries to sell great products they would soon find themselves entangled in all kinds of bureaucratic tape. "You can't sell that alien tech until you prove it's safe." "Luthor independent studies show alien tech causes cancer!" "Horrible Lex sabotage accident involving alien tech!" and so on.
    -Lex Luthor is in all sort of illegal businesses, so it's not enough to beat him in the open market, you would need to also take him in the underground markets. And I don't see the Justice League really willing to compete with him in, say, selling weapons to criminals.
    -Even if all of the above fails and Lex's out of business, he's shown to be able to pull big stunts on his own like stealing 40 cakes all at once.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    The nonsensical flailing common in the Star Wars lightsabre fights are actually the beginning of moves that the duelists' precognition tells them won't work or deliberate attempts to throw off the opponent's own future visions.
    I think this is actually supported somewhere, but it isn't really explained well.

The problem I have with it is that a good portion of the flailing is so extraneous, irrelevent, or detrimental that one would think the probabilities would all collapse to "Just stab them in the lung" at some point.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Troll in the Playground

Although finally sharing alien tech with the common people would be a great idea, I don't see it as defeating Lex Luthor for several reasons:
    -Lex's smart enough to just reverse-engineer that stuff and then start selling his own versions.
    -Lex also has his massive propaganda machine and lawyer armies, so even if the Justice League tries to sell great products they would soon find themselves entangled in all kinds of bureaucratic tape. "You can't sell that alien tech until you prove it's safe." "Luthor independent studies show alien tech causes cancer!" "Horrible Lex sabotage accident involving alien tech!" and so on.
    -Lex Luthor is in all sort of illegal businesses, so it's not enough to beat him in the open market, you would need to also take him in the underground markets. And I don't see the Justice League really willing to compete with him in, say, selling weapons to criminals.
    -Even if all of the above fails and Lex's out of business, he's shown to be able to pull big stunts on his own like stealing 40 cakes all at once.
    You're also ruining every other tech company on the planet in the proces, with massive effects to future progress.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

20. - Top - End - #920
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    You're also ruining every other tech company on the planet in the proces, with massive effects to future progress.
    Technological progress is already artificially slowed down. Computers especially, It's planned obsolescence; Tech gets a little better a little slowly so they'll have something to sell you next year. Otherwise, people would
    A- Lose interest in getting tech because it moves to fast and they'll never be out of date
    B- We'd reach a peak and they'd have nothing left to sell us.

Computers might be good for the economy, but the way we do them isn't great for our technological advancement.

Lex luthor's good for humanity story depending, in which case he might be worth keeping around. But I think if they really wanted to be rid of him they could kill him insanely discretely. It's much like the joker.
    But I Do wish Marvel/DC would show some aspect of adopted alien tech in the movies. Get some SHIELD/STAR/Cadmus/Whatever dudes with hover vehicles and blaster weapons in the movies.
    Last edited by The Jack; 2019-01-06 at 06:56 AM.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

Sink or swim. Other companies would either adapt or be replaced by more visionary people.

Would hardly be the first time. Personal computers, cars, vapor engine, gunpowder, metalworking, agriculture, you name it, humanity has been through plenty of tech revolutions where suddenly a bunch of stuff became obsolete but progress has always been there.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Troll in the Playground

Sink or swim. Other companies would either adapt or be replaced by more visionary people.

Would hardly be the first time. Personal computers, cars, vapor engine, gunpowder, metalworking, agriculture, you name it, humanity has been through plenty of tech revolutions where suddenly a bunch of stuff became obsolete but progress has always been there.
    But this is different because it's alien tech. It's both far ahead of the rest of us and pretty unrelated. I'm also assuming the setup succeeds at what it's supposed to do: drive Luthor's diverse companies out of the market at all cost. If that works it kills a bunch of other companies as well, and kills innovation roughly until the alien tech patents run out. It would probably be a bit of an economic disaster.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems like that would be more likely to bring down everyone except Luthor, making him all the more powerful.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If Luther is sufficiently powerful that he could survive having a competitor outclass him in every department, I rather suspect there isn't much other competition to begin with.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #925

By canon, Lex owns the DC equivalents of Walmart, BP, Dominos and McDonalds. You can't break him by attacking one sector of his holdings.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    By canon, Lex owns the DC equivalents of Walmart, BP, Dominos and McDonalds. You can't break him by attacking one sector of his holdings.
    This will be my headcanon for not shopping at those places.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    This will be my headcanon for not shopping at those places.
    If something is more popular than I can explain it must be Lex Luthor's work.

Now stop making Michael Bay movies Lex!

28. - Top - End - #928
    Colossus in the Playground

If it helps, think of lex luthor as the ceo of Disney. Yes they are most known for mickey mouse, but you likely have NO FREAKING IDEA how diversified that company is and just how much they actually own. Even if you could produce animated movies that are 20x better than anything disney can produce at a tenth the price, its just one aspect of the overall corporation. Now go after supplanting marvel, lucasfilms, A&E, the entire ABC network, its half dozen theme parks, etc etc etc. Also, think of the minions. Do you have any idea how many people lex luthor LEGALLY employs? Putting him out of business would likely cause a worldwide economic downturn as unemployment spikes. And as was said, thats just lexcorp, what about every other company in a related field? The Justice Lords would be a better idea than waging economic war via alien tech against lex luthor.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    If it helps, think of lex luthor as the ceo of Disney. Yes they are most known for mickey mouse, but you likely have NO FREAKING IDEA how diversified that company is and just how much they actually own. Even if you could produce animated movies that are 20x better than anything disney can produce at a tenth the price, its just one aspect of the overall corporation. Now go after supplanting marvel, lucasfilms, A&E, the entire ABC network, its half dozen theme parks, etc etc etc. Also, think of the minions. Do you have any idea how many people lex luthor LEGALLY employs? Putting him out of business would likely cause a worldwide economic downturn as unemployment spikes. And as was said, thats just lexcorp, what about every other company in a related field? The Justice Lords would be a better idea than waging economic war via alien tech against lex luthor.
    Interestingly, you can find a breakdown of Disney here.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

30. - Top - End - #930
    Ogre in the Playground

But this is different because it's alien tech. It's both far ahead of the rest of us and pretty unrelated. I'm also assuming the setup succeeds at what it's supposed to do: drive Luthor's diverse companies out of the market at all cost. If that works it kills a bunch of other companies as well, and kills innovation roughly until the alien tech patents run out. It would probably be a bit of an economic disaster.
    Tech from another world isn't that different from tech from another country. When the best you had for transport were horses and then suddenly trains and cars arrive it may as well be spaceships.

And again patents wouldn't stop smart people from just reverse-engineering it, changing a few bits and then launching their own versions.

There would be a period of turnoil yes but overall things would turn up positive, in particular because the general population would greatly benefit from the tech jump.