New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default The First Eight [IC]

You are currently sitting in what could loosely be called the War Room of Kamata. Itan is there, along with a few other people, in the Von Cusacks' basement.

The old man starts slowly, beginning with "Thank you all for coming. We've all heard the news, and I've talked to each of you on your own. But now... Well, now is the time for action," he says, coughing a little. "I've got tablets with all the information here, and should be able to send more info as appropriate, though I can't guarantee you're going to get signal everywhere. Now, you are faced with an important decision-which Maverick will you hunt first? Who do you think you can defeat most easily?"
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2018-04-26 at 09:12 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The First Eight [IC]

On the side of the war room table is a small black-haired girl in a light dress and black armwarmers and leggings that's currently cuddling an adorable shiba inu. This is Kamui, who's signed up to help with the Maverick problem. But...

"Do you think... any of them can be negotiated with?"

3. - Top - End - #3

Itan sighs. "If we could negotiate with Mavericks... The world would be a very different place indeed. I can't claim to know these Reploids, if Reploids they are, but if I had to guess... No."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Feel free to try! Just don't expect them to listen at all before a beat down, and it'll be tough after one.

Show
    Show

Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lying back with his feet on the table, Ilesh tips up his hat and stops loosening the bolts on the seat next to him with his fingers to pay attention. He loosens the collar on a dressy white guard costume with gold-ruffled shoulders, insisted on by his family's butler. He wondered if he'd seen the girl with the dog before... and decided he probably had. It wasn't a big village, after all, and the cute dog seemed familiar- he'd seen a few sausages go missing lately, and maybe that had something to do with it.

His tone was relaxed to the point of laziness upon chiming in, "Negotiations could save us a great deal of effort... but if they're indiscreet enough to be on our radar I shall assume them to be curs. I've half-a-mind, mind, not to give much bother on most of these- they sound rather dangerous. However, a Kuwanger- whatever that may actually be- doesn't seem like it'd be much trouble."
    Last edited by Just_Ice; 2018-04-27 at 12:43 AM.
    Playground in the Playground

5. - Top - End - #5

"It's a kind of beetle. Extinct, I think, but there you go," Itan replies. "He's in the tower to the north-probably fortified it considerably. Assuming he's following the same pattern as the original, you'll need to watch out for his speed-he's got short range teleportation, and can throw duplicates of his horns as boomerangs."

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"A Beetle should be nice and crunchy. Just gotta smack him until he breaks.", Madao replies. He is covered is grease, dirt, and ragged clothes. In his hands is what appears to be a partially deconstructed alarm clock mixed with a blender. "As for his speed, we just need trap his legs and he will be done for." Madao lets out a loud burp, then settles back into his chair and takes a swig from his canteen.

7. - Top - End - #7

"So," Itan says, "it seems you've decided on hunting Boomer Kuwanger first. I'll talk to Fuka-she should be able to drive you out there. I don't expect she'll want to get too close to the tower itself, but it'll save your legs some walking."

Assuming no one has any last words or disagreements, you head out of the Cusacks' basement and find Fuka. She's tinkering with an old hover-bus, and comes out from under it when you arrive. "Hey! Gimme just a few minutes to get this old rust-bucket up and running, and we can head out! Where are we going?" Her short blonde hair is stained with grease, as is her face and her hands. Her nails are short, better to work with, and on her hands are fingerless gloves.

Spoiler: Fuka Chiko
    Show
    A local human mechanic, who sometimes wishes she had been born a Reploid. She's a good person, though, and always ready to lend a helping hand.

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Kamui follows on and looks towards Fuka, holding Maiko in her arms. Maiko looks energetic as she bats her tail, and she says, "The tower... to the north..."

9. - Top - End - #9

"Hm... That's a hotspot of mavericks, ain't it?" she asks. "I can't get you THAT close, but I can save you a walk. Itan was saying there'd be eight of these places?"

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Fiddling with the adjustments on the vacant chair next to him to make it just barely too close to the one in front of it, Ilesh chimes in, "That we could share eight such trips together- and the rides back, I hope? Ah, such a shame that your charm cannot accompany us any closer, fair Fuka. Perhaps we can send a postcard."

11. - Top - End - #11

Fuka laughs a little, and blushes faintly. "Shucks, I'm nothing special," she says. "Ah, erm, everyone load up! We'll be heading out in five minutes, if you're all ready!"

You pile into the bus, and Fuka sets off, piloting it deftly towards the northern tower. She keeps up a bit of chatter, though as it goes on, it's clear she's worried about you guys. In about three hours, she stops-the total distance traveled could've been covered in less time, but Fuka has been keeping off the beaten path, to avoid any incursions. "This is it-as close as I can get. Any more and I guarantee you we'll be dealing with some Mavericks. Good luck, you guys!"

Show
    Exploration Scene-the tower has a known location, but exact paths and entrances are yet to be known.

Doom Pool is at 2d6 right now.

As a reminder, you can do the following while exploring:

• Roll to recover your own or another’s stress (Not needed)
    • Make an Exploration-based resource by spending a Plot Point (No plot points available, unless you use a bad Distinction to make one!)
    • Roll to search for special items or create an asset (Probably what you should do.)
    • Roll to explore (At least one of you HAS to do this, to find a way into the tower.)

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Madao steps off the bus and takes in the scenery. After thanking Fuka for the ride, he starts surveying the surroundings.Well, I'll see if I can scrounge up anything to to trap that pesky beetle. Maybe make a big net, or something to chop his legs off with. He can't run around if he has no feet. Or maybe combine the together. I should make a whole bunch and throw them everywhere."
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Crafting: (1d10)[8]
    Find It: (1d8)[7]
    Strange Creations: (1d4)[2] Acquire Plot point
    Total: 15
    Effect Die: d4(asset)
    Last edited by LordArgon; 2018-04-30 at 08:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Kamui is hugging Maiko throughout the ride, glancing about with a curious look on her face. She nods. "Thank you... this is good enough. We'll take it from here..."

She steps out and pats Maiko on the head, saying, "... search for danger, okay...?" The loyal pet runs off, exciteable as always. She looks towards the group to say, "I'll go and scout... just a moment..." as she disappears into a blur, leaping up towards higher ground to get a better vantage view.

Show

I'll use...
    Dash - (1d10)[7]
    Scouting - (1d8)[8]
    The Curious Dog - (1d8)[5]

Result 15, Effect Die d8 Effect +1!
    Last edited by Merilan; 2018-05-01 at 12:00 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Still teasing her until she leaves, Ilesh flashes a smile at the driver, "Ah, my heart will pine for such time as we shall meet again, lady chariot."

After watching her take off, he stretches and takes a look at what the rest of the team is doing. "It seems you have your tasks well in hand. Now, if what rumour has bespoke of the tower is to be believed, then I should take a look for that. I shall be back in haste."

Resisting the urge to mess with Madao's net, he sped in another direction to follow up something he'd heard about some buried heavy machinery.

Show

Going for...
    Knowledge (1d8)[4]
    Dash (1d6)[1]
    Geomancy (1d10)[7]

15. - Top - End - #15

Madao stays somewhat behind, constructing a mobile net-chopping device. How it works... Well, no one quite knows, but it should be effective against any Mavericks that come your way.

Spoiler: OOC-Asset
    Show
    Asset: Device (d6), for your next fight

Kamui scouts for the tower, and quickly finds an entrance. She spies a few mavericks going in and out, and notices no one seems to take mind of the comings and goings-it should be easy to lay a trap for some at the front.

Ilesh, meanwhile, goes to investigate some heavy machinery. And he does it find it-only to discover how to turn it on while his leg is atop a gear. It crunches active, and his speed is enough to get out of the way... Mostly. He limps along with Madao to join Kamui near the tower.

Spoiler: OOC-Complication
    Show
    Complication: Futzed-Up Leg (d6), for the next scene

But, you all enter the tower, Kamui in the lead. She points up-there are mavericks ahead-and readies the charge.

The mavericks present, at this low floor, are four shambling junk heaps-mindless automatons of junk-and a large, angry-looking overseer with an axe.

Spoiler: OOC-Combat!
    Show
    This scene has the following assets available for all to use:

Ladders (d4)
    Platforms (d8)

And the following enemies:

Shambling Junk Heaps-4
    Distinctions: Mindless, Brittle
    Scrapheap: Rusty Weapons d6, Stamina d8
    SFX: Immunities: Spend a doom die to ignore any one complication for a turn, excepting sonic and lightning based ones.
    Limit: Vulnerabilities: Step up stress from sonic or lightning to add a die to the doom pool or step up the lowest die.
    Specialties: Melee Combat d8

Raging Maverick-1
    Distinctions: Violent, Crude, Me No Like Talk
    Smashy Upbringing: Crude Axe d8, Strength d6
    SFX: Berserk: Add a doom die to an attack action. Afterwards, step the die down and add it back to the doom pool.
    Limit: YOU BROKE MY AXE!: Shutdown CRUDE AXE to step up the lowest die in the doom pool or add a d6.
    Specialties: Melee Combat d8, Intimidation d8

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

"... let's begin," Kamui states as she steps in to engage the raging Maverick. She reaches for her hilt and crosses the distance, cleaving forward with her triangular-shaped Saber.

Show

Superhuman (1d10)[4]
    Power (1d8)[7]
    [B]Saber [/B ](1d8)[8]
    Taking Power and Saber for my roll - 15. Effect Die - d10.
    Last edited by Merilan; 2018-05-01 at 07:41 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Show
    Oh, by the way, Kamui got first turn. She then chooses who goes next-Merilan, do that now.

The overseer, spotting Kamui at the last moment, bellows a challenge out and takes the hit on the chin.

Show
    Strength (1d6)[4]
    Violent (Bad, adding to the doom pool) (1d4)[2]
    Melee Combat (1d8)[2]

Also spending a Doom Die (the new d6) to immediately act with the Raging Maverick.

He takes 1d12 Physical Stress, since Kamui just ROCKED HIS SOCKS.

As Kamui cleaves into him, his own axe comes smashing down as he chortles madly, and directs the heaps to "GRAB THEM! NET THEM SO I CAN FEAST ON THEIR BODIES!"

Show
    Violent (Good) (1d8)[8]
    Crude Axe (1d8)[8]
    Melee Combat (1d8)[3]
    Aiming to inflict Physical Stress on Kamui.

16 total, Effect d8

Each heap then surges forward, two towards Kamui and one towards each of the others. Their grasping metal pseudopods stretch out, aiming to entangle and distract.

Show
    Each one will attempt to inflict a Physical Complication on people, or step up the complication if someone already has one.

Against Kamui:
    Mindless (Good, since they're following orders) (1d8)[5]
    Rusty Weapons (1d6)[1]
    Melee Combat (1d8)[5]
    10 and d6, but one opportunity.

Mindless (Good, since they're following orders) (1d8)[4]
    Rusty Weapons (1d6)[1]
    Melee Combat (1d8)[2]
    6 and d6, but one opportunity.

Against Ilesh:
    Mindless (Good, since they're following orders) (1d8)[8]
    Rusty Weapons (1d6)[2]
    Melee Combat (1d8)[8]
    Futzed-Up Leg (1d6)[5]
    16 and d6.

Against Madao:
    Mindless (Good, since they're following orders) (1d8)[3]
    Rusty Weapons (1d6)[6]
    Melee Combat (1d8)[8]
    14 and d8.

Next person to act will be either of the two remaining players-normally I'd pick one or the other, but since this is PbP, I don't want it to drag too long.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2018-05-01 at 07:57 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Kamui activates her thrusters as she also raises her free arm, generating a beehive-shaped barrier in an attempt to deflect the axe as she proceeds onwards. At the same time, she's attempting to kick herself up the walls to avoid the heap's psuedopods. "... defending..."

Spoiler: Defenses
    Show

vs. Raging Maverick

Superhuman (1d10)[9]
    Defense (1d10)[6]
    Dash (1d10)[9]

Result 18, Effect d10
    SFX Riposte activates?

vs. Heap

Superhuman (1d10)[2]
    Defense (1d10)[4]
    Wall Jump (1d8)[5]

Result 9, Effect d10

vs. Heap

Superhuman (1d10)[1]
    Defense (1d10)[2]
    Wall Jump (1d8)[5]

Result 7, Effect d10, one complication
    Last edited by Merilan; 2018-05-01 at 09:04 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

The Von Cusack, distracted by his bum leg, is taken entirely by surprise by the encounter. Unable to shoot quickly from the attacker, he ends up toppling backwards- and as the mindless machine tries to overcome him, he attempts vainly to shift the tile beneath himself to shield him.

Show

vs. Heap (rolled 16 and d6)

Stunt (tile flip shield)(1d6)[5]
    Defense(1d8)[5]
    Geokinesis (1d10)[7]
    Result 17, effect?
    Last edited by Just_Ice; 2018-05-02 at 08:48 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Dem eet so many spoilers. I feel coming to this post was a mistake. xD

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Madao quickly rushes towards the heap and hurdles over the top of it.
    Show

Enhanced Speed (1d8)[4]
    Dash (1d10)[5]
    Junk Handler (1d8)[1]
    Total 9
    Last edited by LordArgon; 2018-05-04 at 09:11 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

(Going on merilan’s suggested timing, will give merilan first turn if I am last as I expect)

Unable to fire his buster, Ilesh continues to charge the buster, feeling it shake with the familar feeling of its full capacity rumble.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

After stumbling over the junk pile, Madao quickly gets back on his feet for another go at the junk pile. Using his enhanced speed and trusty mace, he attempts to bash the junk pile into pieces.
    Show

Weapon (1d8)[6]
    Junk Handler (1d8)[1]
    Enhanced Speed (1d8)[5]

24. - Top - End - #24

Spoiler: Defensive Rolls
    Show
    Stamina (1d8)[2]
    Melee Combat (1d8)[8]

The heap is hurt, bits of it spewing out and oil oozing from its wounds.

Show
    d8 Physical Stress.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2018-05-09 at 10:29 AM.

Show
    Show

Show