New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: THEChanger's Curse of the Crimson Throne: Edge of Anarchy

Avrin sighs in response to Vestis' criticisms. "Look, I get it. We've known each other less than a day. No reason to really trust anyone else." He smiles slightly."Well, doesn't matter. Everyone here can clearly handle themselves, for the most part. Make your own decisions, but I say we at least hear Kroft out on what she wants. If the commander of the Korvosan Guard thinks it's important enough for all the secrecy, I think that's at least worth considering."

After Ardino and Gavin finish, he shrugs. "Look, if I wasn't interested in working together I'd have ditched you all the instant we got out of Lamm's hideout. We make a good team; crushed Lamm's cronies, didn't we? If we'd been one night sooner, he'd already be spending his time rotting in the river with his pet 'gator." He holds up one fist, electricity crackling slightly between his fingers. "And now we're stronger than ever. The old bastard will never see us coming, and the rest of the conspirators should never even know we exist. We'll put down Lamm's little rebellion, and him right along with it."
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lady Selancourte

She subtly held her hand up signaling she could very well answer that on her own, when Gavin 'came to her defence'... in his own way... but he seemingly didn't notice.
    "You were awfully quick to mention my name back then, you know?" she finally told Ardino, calmly, as usual when people around her got heated. "It was no mistake, back then, of course. But maybe you would deem it prudent to let my name drop with the Field Marshal as well, who knew? Maybe she wanted to hear who you planned to bring in? She would have, if she were prudent. I'm somewhat happy to hear that's not the case, of course." So it was random freelancers. She had to be desperate. This didn't bode well for the value of her 'secret information'.
    "You should know that there was no disrespect intended. I told you I don't like the guard, I don't trust the guard and I'd rather not work with the guard. I also said I highly doubt they are a valuable source of information. I never called you an imbecile, nor any of the others, or naive, or gullible marks, or whatever else you think I implied - that is just what you chose to hear."
    In other words, she somehow made him feel like that. A not uncommon occurance, as she had to admit to herself.
    "Look, I can see you are not used to see a woman dissent. You think it is disrespect if I speak my mind. Well, you should probably work on your insecurities, because I'm afraid I am not going to stop." It almost sounded apologetic, and her raised eyebrows and arms seemed as such as well. "Do the women in your social circles submit when you tell them to be quiet? I apologise, this won't work with me. Is it customary in your social circles that everybody just accepts the first opinion voiced? I apologise, this won't work with me either. I suggest you better stop seeing any opposing opinion as a personal affront."
    A little smile played on her lips.
    "Or, in other, more concise words: Man up, Ardino."
    With that, she had said her piece.

She turned to face Gavin, then Avrin.
    "We can certainly hear the Field Marshal out. However, afterwards, we should come to a decision together. If the rest of you is adamant, I will sign the contract as well, if that course of action doesn't turn out to be horrifically unwise. Which I hope it will not. Still, these other leads would definitely be a start, as well."

Lady Selancourte hesitated just for a second, then she put her glove-clad hand forward just like Dirkust and Ardino had done before her.
    Avatar made by lankybugger - Thanks a lot!

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ettin in the Playground

Ardino chuckled at Vestis. "Yes, clearly my problem with you has nothing to do with your arrogance or bossy nature, it's because you have boobs." He shakes his head, his tone now more sincere. "Listen, I'm not trying to be an ass, but we're in this together. If we are to have any chance of finding and stopping Lamm, we have to work as a team. Our constant sniping at each other is helping no one, and only if we treat each other with trust and respect will we come out on top of this. You think I'm an idealistic idiot and I think you're a self-important primadonna. Let's prove each other wrong, okay?"
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

Carla

After spending some time silently clearing the mess, helped by the Chel's spells, Carla stands up to her full height and looks at the others with one raised eyebrow. "Gods above, you and your bickering. We have barely spent a few hours and it's already a mess. Beat each other or **** each other, but get it done," she sighs in frustration, then smirks and gives Vestis and Ardino a quick appraising look-over, seemingly sizing them up for something. "Now I'll agree with Avrin, you look like a capable bunch, and some of you seem to be decent folks as well, but I don't know you so well, and I'm not much for elaborate promises that come to turn off to be a rope to hang me with. Here is what you get: have my back, I'll have yours, and I'll do my fair share to see Lamm' squirming soul grovel before Pharasma with all the lashes he deserved getting there. Fail, and if I live I'll drink to your memory and pay for the burial. Screw me over, and I'll do my best sending you there as well," she says, bringing her fist forward.

"For now, if you want to check the Marshall's offer out, I'm down with that. If it turns out the Guard had some dark on what Lamm's been up to an where he's holed in, we could find it and take care of it even if they won't. Using is a two-way street."
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2017-08-08 at 03:54 PM.
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ettin in the Playground

Ardino smirked at the latest comment. The actress wishes she were so lucky. "See, I'm totally fine with powerful, no-nonsense women."
    Last edited by digiman619; 2017-08-08 at 04:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #516

Mordin seems taken aback by Ardino's sudden outburst, but it does seem the Lady is capable of answering for herself, so he lets the others speak for a while.

As the circle of hands is formed, Mordin speaks:

"Well, you know I am in. I do understand why some of you are concerned about going to the guard and risking magical contracts and possible strange agendas. The main reason I'm less concerned is that I don't have any kind of life to return to, so I don't care what happens to me. Anything that can lead to Lamm, I'll do it. "

*he shudders for a moment, rembering*

"Well, not anything. Not anymore. But my own life is worth nothing, so I'll give it up gladly. I don't care if we catch Lamm as part of some weird Citadel plot or on our own, as long as we stop him."

With that, Mordin removes his armored glove and places his hand on top of the others', his huge fist seeming almost grotesque in comparison to some of them.

7. - Top - End - #517

Lady Selancourte

'Idealistic idiot'? Vestis raised one of her fine eyebrows, slightly amused. "That's not what I'm thinking." she said calmly.

Of course, she showed no reaction to Carla's unsavoury comment. People from the gutter - what did one expect?

Looking at Sir Mordin, she listened to his little speech, but said nothing. She made a mental note to talk to him in private, once the opportunity arose.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground

"Whatever", Ardino waved the comment away. "You don't hold me in high regard, whatever that form may take. 'Let's use this opportunity to impress on the other how powerful, capable, and worthwhile the other is' was the point I was trying to get across."

9. - Top - End - #519

Lady Selancourte

The audacity of the so quickly converted was hard to swallow, but it would have been wasted effort, and he was starting to bore her, so she said nothing, only waved his comment away. If he expected praise for this, he'd have to bother someone else.
    Last edited by aberratio ictus; 2017-08-09 at 11:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

Carla snorted at Ardino's attempts at interpreting her rebuke as extra points for him against the Chel. "I saw one of you help just about now, and it wasn't you, smartass, so unless you want to give a hand with taking care of the rest of the job, feel free to shut it. Now, unless you all want to stay here tonight, what time and where do we meet tomorrow?"
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2017-08-10 at 05:11 AM.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

The party takes it rest within the walls of Zellara's home, the rain pattering outside slowly lulling each of the seven to sleep. It was decided that each of you had things to check on the day after the riots had whipped through Kovosa, and so it was agreed that you seven would meet outside Citadel Volsheyenk around three in the afternoon. Each of your arrives at mostly the same time, and together you approach the guards stationed outside.

The Citadel, in contrast to the emptiness Gavin, Ardino, and Avrin found, is now a hive of activity. Guardsmen run here and there, carrying scrolls, shouting orders, gathering building materials, and preparing to start repairing the city. You are brought up to Field Marshall Kroft's office, where she and Grau Soldado are waiting. The contract and the copy in Common are laid out on the table, which is now far more neat and collected. Kroft brushes her hair out of her eyes.

"So, Gavin, these are your friends. Well. Have you four been informed of the situation?"
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Troll in the Playground

Prior to entering the citadel, while the group is still assembling, Gavin arrives in a rather happy mood as he is humming some sort of opera song as he walks along.
    He is clean-shaven with a new set of simple yet functional clothes including a nondescript grey cloak and cowl.
    He has a new light shield slung under one shoulder, partially hidden underneath his cloak.
    The particularly observant might also catch a glimpse of the new addition of a wrist sheath under the sleeve of his fencing arm, a punching dagger tucked in among the sheath's springs and gears.

When Vestis arrives, Gavin approaches the noblewoman with an uncharacteristic smirk.

"Milady, I have considered the conversation we had last night regarding your armor. And while your points are all valid, my concern of a sniper armed with a crossbow remains. But I believe that I have discovered a compromise this morning. One that combines form with function, in fact. Have you heard of these things called shields?"

Gavin unslings the light steel shield from his shoulder, offering it to Vestis and finally revealing the shield's face.
    Emblazoned onto the shield's face is a beautiful depiction of a rainbow-tailed dove taking flight.
    It is clear that the rest of the shield is masterfully crafted as well, leaving it well-balanced and solid against impacts.

"I certainly have no expectations of you wearing this when it is not needed, and this is not a gift. It is, however, something I strongly recommend you consider wearing when we are going into a dangerous situation as it combines protection, appearance, and a bit of a disguise as well. As I imagine that few people would expect a Chelish noble to wear a shield with such an . . . unusual design on the shield face."

Vestis now has a masterwork light steel shield "on loan" from Gavin. The face of the shield is emblazoned with a depiction of Shelyn.

In Kroft's office, Gavin nods.

"These are all of them. I will let them speak for themselves."
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2017-08-11 at 06:01 AM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

13. - Top - End - #523

Lady Selancourte

prior to entering the citadel

Just like Gavin, Lady Selancourte had gone through a change of wardrobe as well. Overall, she looked as if in mourning - a long, black dress, finely crafted and subtly embroidered with a silver thread, a fitting promenade cloak, trimmed with dark fur, and a black veil. The dress had a waisted fit, but was nonetheless loose enough so that her (already quite form-fitting and thin) breastplate could easily be hidden underneath. Her attire was elegant but relatively simple, and did not necessarily betray her status as a noblewoman.
    The veil she wore mostly to prevent her being immediately recognised by the guardmen.

She observed Gavin's approach warily. When he started talking, she immediately noticed - it was about armour again. She half-expected him to advise her to buy a suit of plate armour for her personal protection, but in the end, it was about shields. His last quip almost made her answer with a little edge, but mostly his stupid smirk made her resort to mere sarcasm. "I have not. Please, great master of arms, enlighten me."

It was... actually a fairly impressive shield. She held good craftsmanship in high esteem, even on a shield, and when he revealed the face - a magnificent portrayal of Shelyn's sacred animal, the songbird. For a moment, she looked up at Gavin before setting her eyes on the shield again. That was... almost thoughtful. The goddess of art and beauty. She was a goddess Vestis could appreciate, in a way, when she wasn't too political. Which Shelyn, luckily, most of the time wasn't. And a long, long time ago...

"Beauty will save the world..."
    she whispered, to herself, and for a moment, a look of regret flashed over her face, but it vanished quickly.

Vestis took the shield in both her hands. It was light - surprisingly so. It probably wouldn't hinder her too much, should she ever have need of it.

"Thank you, Mr Dimir. I appreciate the thought..." ... but I can't accept it?

"I appreciate the thought."

in the citadel

"No, we have not, Field Marshal." Lady Selancourte replied. "At least not to our satisfaction, as is understandable considering the secrecy of the issue. Would you be so kind as to repeat the terms of your offer and the rough nature of the situation you'd like us to handle?"

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

Carla

Soon after the cleanup is confirmed, Carla dons one of the chain shirts, covering it with her traveling cloak, an dsets up to depart. "I want to make sure that's taken care of," she tells the others, nodding towards Yargin's cooling body, but takes the "hatbox" as well. "Unless things get really wild, I will come back here later. Either way, I'll be at the Citadel. If you see me here, please don't make too much noise early in the morning, okay?"

The next day, she arrives at the citadel wearing a different set of clothes, but in much the same style - the hardy, practical pants, vest and cloak a guard or a traveller would wear, though with the vivid reds, blues and greens that show a Varisian touch in all except the low hat. Her large flail is safely stowed in her backpack - she has heard, that large weapons in the hands of street toughs make guardsmen uneasy. "Good day, all of you. How are you doing?"

Once inside, she waits for the Marshall and Gavin to explain this call further. She thinks of correcting Vestis, but stops herself. It would be good to hear exactly what the woman wanted, and if it annoyed her a bit... well, she was the one who called for them.
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2017-08-11 at 05:30 PM.

15. - Top - End - #525

Mordin only has a brief stop before going to the citadel, to stash away his armor in the usual hiding place. Taking it off feels wrong, somehow, like losing a part of himself, even though he has only been wearing it for a single night. Still, it would be beyond unwise to show up wearing this particular suit in the Citadel.

At the citadel, Mordin shows up wearing a regular suit of chainmail. It's slightly too small for him, so he seems quite uncomfortable. It also exposes his unattractive face and his oft-broken nose, leaving him looking much less imposing than when wearing Jasper's armor. He seems generally uncomfortably being in the Citadel, shifting his feet and eying the various guards and soldiers suspiciously.

He lets the others do the talking for now, deciding that the less he says here, the less likely it is that he will arouse suspicion. He nods in agreement as Vestis asks Kroft for more clarification, however.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Dirkust busied himself reading the 'translation' of the contract. A frown was clear on his face as he finished. Forgive me for questioning, but we only have your word that the magical contract is identical to this one here in Common? I'll be honest, that... isn't really reassuring.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

Kroft shrugs at Dirkust. "Close. You have the word of Archbanker Darb Tuttle, of the Third Bank of Abadar here in the city. I know not everyone is a fan of the Bank, but Archbanker Tuttle is the most honest man I know,
    to the point of being an extreme annoyance. He made this exactly to my specifications."

The Field Marshall turns back to Vestis, frowning. "I know you from somewhere. Haven't you been around, harassing my guards? Strange company you keep, Dimir."

Grau coughs, and Kroft pulls herself to attention. "Right. Well, here's the deal. I need Gavin's assistance on a very sensitive matter. Clandestine mission and all that. Concerning one Gaedren Lamm, and how he's gaining such favor with the people in short notice. Disruption, espionage, general mucking about that, for reasons I cannot disclose until the contract has been signed, it would be inadvisable for active members of the guard to engage in. Gavin insisted on bringing in you six. I gather you all have an interest in seeing Lamm fail. There will also be a substantial reward of gold, upon completion of your assignment, as well as the possibility of future opportunities to screw with Lamm. But I do need each of you to put your name on that dotted line before we can continue. I recognize that it is a lot to ask. But time is of the essence, and I do not have the time to vet each of you through the normal channels. This is the other option."
    No news is good news.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

Avrin is amongst the last of the group to arrive at the Citadel; he had spent more time than anticipated looking for some particularly useful tools, and while he's not late he still arrives barely on time for the expected meeting. He simply nods a greeting to the others, not bothering to say anything, and heads inside.

Once Kroft finishes explaining the situation and Lady Selencourte provides her translation of the magical document, Avrin wastes no time in heading forwards and affixing his own name to it, the one he had given the others. It may not be the name he was born with, but it's the one he spends the most time using at the moment and that should be good enough to be valid for the purposes of the document. Once he's finished he steps back and says. "There." Finished, he nods his head and waits for the others to do likewise.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground

Ardino was glad someone in the group could read the contract, though he'd have been lying if he'd say he was glad it was Vestis rather than anyone else. Still, as he had told her earlier, they had to work as a team, and teamwork doesn't exist without trust. He considered using a new name, but he got the feeling that if he didn't use his actual name, the contract's magic wouldn't hold, so he wouldn't be able to be part of the secret.

He sighed, and signed the contract with his real name, muttering "I hope this doesn't bite me on the ass later"

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

Dirkust, assuaged of his fears when Vestis confirmed the translation is accurate signed. What is the reward, exactly?
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

21. - Top - End - #531

Mordin walks to the table and looks at the contract. He gives a brief nod as he finishes reading, still not speaking, then picks up the pen and signs "M. Saendar".

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ogre in the Playground

Carla

"Fair enough," Carla says. She does not like the Abadarites overmuch, but she has certainly heard that they tend to be quite honest - a big point in their favor compared to the Asmodaeans, though she keeps that opinion to herself.

She examines the contract cursorily, and unless she sees something outrageously improper, signs as "Carla," then hesitates for a moment, and adds "G. Zvastri." Ironically, she muses, Carla Zvastri is her proper, legal name. The "G." she has less claim to, but for some reason she considers it proper to add.

23. - Top - End - #533

Lady Selancourte

The field marshal obviously wasn't afraid to alienate the people she sought assistance from, neither a woman who seemed obviously in mourning.

"I would hope not;" Vestis replied in an even-tempered manner, "...as that would only be the case if you considered asking for help in the search for an abducted child harrasment of the guard."

On Dirkust's question, and the Field Marshal's not exactly convincing response, Vestis stepped forward and thoroughly studied the contract first in the original Azlanti version, then in the common translation.
    Her eyes still on the text, she spoke to the party.

"For what it's worth, apart from some daring stylistic choices - as would be expected from the church of Abadar - which have no bearing on the letter or intent of the contract, the translation is accurate."

Lady Selancourte took a step back, concentrated, and executed some slight, elegant movements with her fingers, while whispering a "वस्तुओं अपनी जादुई रहस्य का पता चलता है."

She lowered her arms again. "It is a lesser geass spell. The terms are the ones listed in the contract, I'm reasonably certain. It would be safe to sign, if you agree with the terms."

And that is what the others did. So much for deciding together, she thought, but she showed no obvious response.

"Field Marshal, while many of Lamm's stolen children are free by now, some of them were taken by a Tiefling who calls herself दास. She works with Lamm." Vestis asked Kroft. She knew the Field Marshal couldn't care less about lost children when her position was at stake, but if she was at least willing to pretend otherwise, that was something she could work with. "The guard doesn't happen to have any information regarding her and her whereabouts? She is rumoured to be a shapeshifter of some kind."

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

Field Marshall Kroft frowns when Vestis mentions the missing children, and slowly turns to Grau.

"Grau."

"Field Marshall."

Cressida's hands grip the desk, the knuckles slowly turning bone white. "Later on today. You are going to explain to me exactly how it occurred that I was not informed this woman was seeking assistance in locating a missing child. And I do hope the explanation is satisfactory to both her, and myself."

"I suspect, Field Marshall, that the answer lies in the very thing we're asking these people to help with."

Cressida pinches the bridge of her nose, and sighs, before turning back to Vestis. "You have my deepest apologies. Certain things have come to light in the past week, which unfortunately I can't discuss unless you sign this contract. But, some of our guards actually have had run ins with a Tiefling going by Slave. They do seem to have minor shapeshifting capabilities, and most of their activities seem to be centered around the Midland docks. Thievery, general harassment of nobility, possible involvement in smuggling. We think they have a base of operations in the Gray Quarter, and before last night, our investigators were narrowing down possible hideaways. I'm sorry I don't have more concrete information for you right now, but I promise you, with or without your involvement in this matter, I will ensure you are put in contact with the man overseeing that investigation with explicit instructions to keep you in the know."

Assuming Vestis signs the contract, Grau places the last signature at the bottom, and Kroft speaks a phrase in a long dead language. "Finné an mhionn seo." The shimmering gold text solidifies into jet black lettering, and Kroft sighs. "Well, that's done. So here's the deal."

"We've found out Gaedren Lamm's been planning these riots for months. Planning good. He's always had a couple rats in the guard, we've known that for a long time. We just couldn't figure out who. Well, wouldn't you know it, five men didn't come to work last night when the city was burning. Guardsmen Baldrago, Malder, Parns, and Karralo, as well as Sergeant Verik Vancaskerkin."
    The Field Marshall grimaces. "We also found out at least part of how Lamm built support so quickly. Those men have been operating out of an old butchery called All The World's Meat, and they've been giving out free meat. Lamm has done terrible things, but a lot can be forgiven when your family's starving and he's offering you free food."

"This puts the guard in an awkward position. What I would like to do is take twenty men, storm the butchery, and bring all five of them back in irons. If I were to do that, it would be seen as the guard shoving its boot on the neck of the people, depriving them of the food they need. We can't afford to keep World's open giving away free meat. Neither can Lamm, as it happens, but by the time he has to shut the place down, he might have already won."

"This is where you come in. The guard can't go in and shut the place down without looking like tyrants. But a group of adventuring types, who happen to go in and show what's really going on there, that would be acceptable. Because, we have reason to believe the meat they're serving isn't from any beast."

Grau interjects. "I went down to All The World's Meat a couple days ago, before the riots started. And I found this in one of the sausages." He places what is very clearly a human finger on the desk. "We know that Lamm has needed a way to quietly dispose of people he's had killed. And we think this is how he's doing it."

"So. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is this. Go to All The World's Meat. Find evidence that the ex-guards there are using it to cover up the disposal of corpses tied to Lamm. Bring at least one of them back alive, if you can. Preferably Verik. I want to deal with him myself. For evidence that All The World's Meat is selling human bodies for food, we'll pay each of you five hundred gold. For bringing one of the rats back alive, another five hundred for each of you. And, if you're interested, future work with the guard, with much less need for secrecy and damned magic scrolls."

Spoiler: Vestis
    Show

Kroft spoke a phrase in Azlanti: Witness this oath.

Spoiler: Gavin
    Show

You recognize all those names! Verik oversaw Longacre while you were staying there. And Baldrago and Malder were the two guards who tried to beat you on the regular.
    No news is good news.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ettin in the Playground

Ardino blanched as he heard the disgusting (and effective, even though he was loathe to admit it) way Lamm was getting supporters and getting rid of naysayers. That's the kind of thing that he'd do his best to stop, even if he wasn't getting paid for it. "That's disgusting," he said aloud. "I'm definitely in for stopping that."

26. - Top - End - #536
    Troll in the Playground

Gavin's face, previously just shy of beaming with excitement and anticipation, rapidly turns into a scowl as he learns the details of their assignment.
    There was no doubt why Kroft needed outsiders for this position now - guardsmen were already involved in literal butchery of the populace.
    And the delicious irony that *he* would get to put *Verik* in chains was not lost on him either.
    But it did mean that any other attempts to find Lamm would have to come to an end while they dealt with this - more people were going to die and be turned into sausage if they didn't intervene now.

"I can promise you one - preferably Verik. But I rather doubt that they're going to simply surrender, especially to random adventurers. Some blood will likely be spilled."

Gavin informs Kroft with a shrug. Oh yes, he had not forgotten the names of Baldrago and Malder, nor their faces. As far as Gavin was concerned those two were dead men walking. He'd have to make sure to ask them if they had anything pithy to say while they were spitting up their life's blood.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Dirkust already pale pallor became sheet white. He hunched over, shuddering, trying to hold in his non-existent lunch. As he slowly recovered, he gasped out. That's... hurk! That's disgusting... He inhaled sharply, trying to steady himself. I'll do it. There was a bit of gumption in his voice, but he still seemed to be recovering from the mental image.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Carla

So, it seems as the marshall was not as well informed as she seemed to be. While it is only to be expected, the sight of failing from an authority figure made the tips of Carla's mouth twitch upward. Now if it turns out the guard leader is actually bothered about missing children and not just putting on a show or worried that it is an aristocrat's brat, that would actually count for a fair bit in her books.

Her mirth does not last too long, though, as both the geas and the talk about Lamm is rather serious business, and she considers their new mission with all due interest. Damnably gruesome, Carla thinks as she winces at the sight of the the finger, but she looks on with a morbid curiosity. Was it from a man, woman, or child? Human or any other race? On one hand, she realizes that it does not make that much difference, but when it comes to vengeance, it is always good to have things personal.

She listens on to the details and the others' replies, before chiming in. "Alright, sounds like a good job to do. I just wanna make sure, is there actually a base pay for clearing the place and dealing with these renegades, or is the pay only for finding evidence that people were used in the meat and for bringing a captive?"
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2017-08-20 at 08:44 AM.

29. - Top - End - #539

Like Dirkust, Mordin visibly has to suppress gag reflexes. I ate at Lamm's table. Did he...no, surely not. Probably kept it to his 'recruiting' among the townsfolk. Hopefully. That demon in human skin.

As he recovers, he speaks for the first time: "I accept the mission. This...horror... needs to be stopped as soon as possible."

30. - Top - End - #540

Lady Selancourte

Lady Selancourte followed Field Marshal Kroft's reaction closely - her ignorance wasn't feigned. It wasn't even willful ignorance, she was obviously furious she didn't know, and that wasn't an act either. The field marshal wasn't scum - she was simply woefully incompetent.

Vestis nodded gracefully in responce to Kroft's apology, and listened to her information about दास.

"Thank you, Field Marshal." she simply said, when the field marshal had ended. The information had been a little helpful, and it had been given freely.
    Vestis turned towards the contract, and signed with her name, in elegant, flowing letters.

__________________________________________________ ____

"It is rather distasteful." Vestis agreed with the others; still, she herself kept her countenance, in contrast to Dirkust and Sir Mordin.

"It was a Sergeant named Verik I talked to, amongst others, when I came here." she mentioned to Kroft, before adding - "I accept, of course."