New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: THEChanger's Curse of the Crimson Throne: Edge of Anarchy

Gavin settles the matter of the creature not noticing the group in rather short order, as he gives a disgusted cry upon reaching the top of the stairs and seeing what has become of the remaining two guardsmen.

"BALDRAGO!!!!"

Gavin screams as he rushes forward, so intent on putting the abomination down he doesn't even consider just how much bigger this one is.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Standard - CHARGE!
    To-Hit: (1d20+9)[22]
    Spoiler: Mods
    Show

+2 BAB
    +4 Dex
    +1 Weapon Focus
    +2 Charge

Damage: (1d6+4)[7]
    Show

+4 Dex

Initiative: (1d20+4)[5]
    Gavin's AC is -2 (down to 17) until the start of his next turn. He will use his last point of Panache to opportune parry & riposte if attacked in melee before his next turn.

Spoiler: Parry
    Show

Parry: (1d20+7)[23] (effectively 21 due to -2 for Baldrago's Large size)
    Riposte: (1d20+7)[19]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[9]

Last edited by Inspectre; 2017-11-01 at 10:21 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ettin in the Playground

Ardino runs at the beast, slamming his fist into its scaly maw.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Charging the beast, hopefully getting beside Gavin.
    (1d20+7)[21] (+2 to attack & -2 to AC, currently 15)
    (1d3+5)[6]
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Bugbear in the Playground

Seeing another of these monstrosities, Mordin wastes no time. He rushes in to join the others, bringing his sword down upon the creature.

Show
    Attack (charge): (1d20+8)[19]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[13]

4. - Top - End - #664
    Titan in the Playground

As the trio charged forward, Dirkust jumped in surprise. His feet propelled him forward a step and a half before skittering to a stop. Mortified, he turned on his heels and scrambled back down the stairs somewhat, getting out of the way of the people who actually knew how to use a weapon. What was I thinking!? I can't face that thing! He chastised himself.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

5. - Top - End - #665

Lady Selancourte

She didn't have much sympathy for the guardsman being eaten, nor for the miserable creature the other had become, but the sight was still not very pleasant. The others immediately stormed forward, and they seemed to have better luck in striking at the surprised creature than before.

Vestis herself, she stood back, as usual, and drew the obsidian rod in a fluid gesture, immediately bringing it forward and pointing at the thing with elegant movements.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

use magic device: (1d20+9)[22]
    magic missile: (1d4+1)[4]
    Avatar made by lankybugger - Thanks a lot!

6. - Top - End - #666
    Troll in the Playground

Avrin's eyes widen at the sight of the grotesque monster in front of him, but leaves charging straight into battle to the others. Instead he circles around, shield ready to parry any attacks that come his way and sword held at his side, moving for a flanking position.

Show

Double Move around the enemy as far as possible, getting into position to provide a Flank for as many of the people who charged in as possible.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ogre in the Playground

Carla

The view of new mutated should have been familiar to Carla, she thinks for a moment as she observes the new creature through slanted eyes, but they keep on getting worse. The corpse of a guardsman there is worrysome - hopefully it's not the one they were sent to collect.

The others surge in, and she wastes little time joining them, eager to put the thing down while it is distracted.

Show
    Rage on, 5/8 rounds remaining
    Charge - Attack: (1d20+9)[12]w. Power attack
    Damage: (1d10+12)[21]
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

The party charges in, ready to take on the new monstrosity they see before them. Gavin and Ardino manage to catch it off guard, blade sinking into flesh and fist slamming into face. Vestis launches a bolt of magic from her wand, but now the creature wheels about. Mordin's sword swishes through empty air, and the creature grabs hold of Carla's axe, forcing it to the ground. It lets out a low growl.

"Thieves! Vagabonds! Thou darest disturb my feasting! My duly earned meat! Find thy own sweet-smelling corpse to gnaw upon! Fall upon thy own if thee wish to eat of the flesh as we do."

Sparks of electricity jump between the beast's fangs as it pontificates, and it clacks its claws together, readying itself to pounce.

Spoiler
    Show
    Avrin may act again before Baldrago has a chance to respond.
    Last edited by THEChanger; 2017-11-05 at 11:49 PM.
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Troll in the Playground

Avrin's mouth turns in disgust at the creature in front of him. The fact that anyone would willingly become something so... Disgusting is beyond him. This Baldrago is far beyond saving, and Avrin has no intention of trying to take it prisoner. With a quick lunge he strikes at it, hoping to score a hit while calling out mockingly, "Yeah, that's right. We're here to steal your rotting hunk of meat. Freak." With a quick burst of focus he calls upon Norgorber's blessing, a shadowy duplicate forming to distract and mislead his enemy.

Show

Standard Action melee attack, Move Action use Copycat.

Attack: (1d20+7)[26]
    Damage: (1d6)[4]
    Edit: Critical confirmation of a 26 for 6 additional damage (total 10 damage).

Summary:
    HP 10/16

AC18 FF 14, Touch 14
    Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +7

1/3 Level 1 Spell slots left.
    6/7 Copycat
    1/1 Judgement

1 Doppelganger active.
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2017-11-06 at 04:22 AM.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ogre in the Playground

Baldrago roars in pain as Avrin strikes him just under an exposed rib. "Rogue! Thou impertinent wastrel! It is not met for such base creatures to strike a perfect being as mine own self!" The monster sets its head down and barrels past Gavin and Ardino, almost knocking them to the ground with the force of his charge. Each feels a brief spark of electricity runs down their spine as stray bolts jump from Baldrago to them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Baldrago does not provoke an attack of opportunity from his Overrun maneuver. As he comes into contact with Gavin and Ardino, they each take four points of electrical damage.
    No news is good news.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ettin in the Playground

Ardino runs after the beast, arcing left slightly as he does. First with a jumping knee strike, followed by a downward strike with his left hand.

Show
    Swift action: Enter Pugilist's stance
    Move action: Move one square left and 3 squares up.
    Standard: Initiate Flurry Strike
    Attack 1:(1d20+5)[22] Damage 1: (1d3+5)[6] + (1d6)[1]
    Attack 2:(1d20+5)[24] Damage 2: (1d3+5)[8] + (1d6)[1]
    Last edited by digiman619; 2017-11-06 at 09:41 AM.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

Dirkust flinched, crouching down as the thing barreled through the room. He peeked over the edge of the floor, eyeing the creature. He considered his options. He could patch up Gavin and Ardino but not completely. He could assault the things nervous system with an psionic overload, but it was doubtful to work. There was one way. He had done so only once, just to see what it was like. It hurt and left him with a raging headache for the rest of the day. It might even push him into unconsciousness. Maybe... maybe I'll be ok. Dirkust dug deep into the recess of his mind. He was vaguely aware he touched three other..... entities but continued onward. As if a switch, an overflowing of energy flooded Dirkust mind. Suddenly the world snapped into harsh focus. Every light was blinding, each noise a cacophony, able to perceive every individual thread on his clothes. The sensory overload quickly overwhelmed Dirkust. With a short ragged gasp, his vision unfocused as a he unleashed the overfull energy from his brain. Dew formed over Dirkust's body, mixing with the small trickle of blood that had sprouted from his nose. Likewise, a small amount of dew formed on Gavin as well.

Dirkust shook his head, the resultant headache quickly fading. He touched his upper lip, spying the blood trickle but noting the stream had already staunched. That... wasn't pleasant.

Spoiler
    Show
    Used Overchannel to manifest Natural Healing at PL 3, taking 8 Overchannel Damage in the process.
    I'll augment Natural Healing twice; 1 PP to increase the healing to 6 per target and 1 PP to add an additional target Gavin for a total of 12 HP. I'll apply 8 of it to Dirkust and 4 to Gavin. Since Dirkust has NL and Lethal damage, he'll heal 8 of both, bringing his total to 16 (max) HP and 6 NL, while Gavin to a total of 16 HP.
    Last edited by MesiDoomstalker; 2017-11-06 at 11:05 AM.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

13. - Top - End - #673
    Troll in the Playground

Gavin stumbles backward, struggling to stay on his feet as the hulking monstrosity shoves its way past him, electric arcs sparking off of its skin and Gavin's chain shirt.
    He shoots a glance at Mordin and Carla as Ardino races after it.

"Do you know what I hate most about these Shudder addicts? They never shut up!"

Gavin quips, throwing himself forward into a shoulder roll, trying to go under Baldrago's sweeping claws as the beast turns to face the group once more.
    Coming up to his feet again, Gavin stabs at the monster's eyes.

Show

Move - Using Acrobatics to Tumble 15' to the north, getting back into melee with Baldrago.
    Acrobatics - (1d20+6)[10] versus. Baldrago's CMD, Success = He can't take an AoO (if he even has Reach)

Standard - Stab Baldrago in the face
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[27]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[8]

Critical!
    (Confirmation roll in OOC, 25 To-Hit, +7 damage for 15 damage total from the hit)
    Gavin regains a point of Panache

Readying Parry & Riposte if he attacks with something that can be parried rather than a Combat maneuver. Gavin's AC back up to its normal 19.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Parry: (1d20+7)[8]
    Riposte: (1d20+7)[8]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[10]

Last edited by Inspectre; 2017-11-06 at 08:08 PM.

14. - Top - End - #674

Mordin shakes his head in frustration at the toughness of this thing...though it did not seem to stop the others from landing powerful blows. Seeing them engage the beast again, Mordin carefully shuffles past Carla to attempt to strike again.

Show
    Attack: (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[15]

Not charging, so AC is back up to 20.

15. - Top - End - #675

Lady Selancourte

Despite the situation, Vestis was somewhat bemused and amused by the creature's words, especially since they came so unexpectedly. For the moment, she lowered the obsidian rod as she began addressing the creature with deliberate faux earnestness and an apologetic voice.

"Apologies mine if we've been too rash,
    interrupting your meal and bestowing this bash
    But please understand, sir, how could we have known
    judging from the perspective on you you have shown?

Now your elegant limbs there, I must concur,
    signs of perfection, doubtless, no demur,
    your gait full of grace, and you sparkle so sweet
    Perfection! If there wasn't the way how you eat.

The question, sir, is one of cutlery here,
    and the same one is fairly essential I fear!

One would assume - well I would at least -
    that a superior being with knife, fork and spoon does feast.
    Now your way of eating, if I may be bold,
    seems to me rather ghoulish, truth be told."

Spoiler: Inspire Courage!
    Show

Perform: acting:(1d20+10)[16]

+1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls to all of you again.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Troll in the Playground

Avrin turns to follow the bellowing ghoul-thing, noting with some annoyance as it simply ignores him and runs across the room. Still, the others begin to congregate on it again and Avrin moves to join them, striding forwards along the wall to deliver another strike with his blade.

Show

Move action to move into a flanking position with Mordin, Standard action to attack.

Attack: (1d20+8)[13] (4 Dex, 1 BAB, 1 Morale, 2 Flank)
    Damage: (1d6+1)[6]

Summary:
    HP 10/16

AC18 FF 14, Touch 14
    Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +7

1/3 Level 1 Spell slots left.
    6/7 Copycat
    1/1 Judgement

1 Doppelganger active.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Ogre in the Playground

Carla

Easy does it, now, Carla thinks as she crouches after the frenzied rush an just as quick jump away from the strange thing. She picks up her weapon and studies her surroundings. If that thing doesn't do it again, it could get encircled,and even if it does, well,she'd rather be near. There is strength in numbers, and some of her gang appear to have a fair bit of strength of their own. She stalks the thing from the sides, not yet daring to make commit to an attack.

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show

Rage ends
    Pick up weapon
    Move to threaten beast.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Ogre in the Playground

The thing that was Baldrago roars in pain as more blows rain down upon it, pushed onward by Lady Selancourte's clever jabs. Ardino slams two fists into the creature as Mordin's sword cleaves into its shoulder. As black ichor drops to the ground and sizzles, Baldrago distracted by the pain, Gavin bolts forward and drives his rapier into Baldrago's left eye.

"MY EYE! MY EYE! YOU FOULEST OF VERMIN YOU'VE RUINED MY EYE!"

Baldrago stumbles, one wickedly clawed hand covering the left half of its mutilated face. It turns, and charges for the window, knocking Avrin to the ground as it goes. It shatters the glass, and leaps to the cobbles below, beginning to dart away into the dark of the city night.

Spoiler
    Show

Baldrago does not provoke an AoO for Overrun attempts. Avrin is knocked prone, and takes two points of electricity damage.

There is currently 60 ft of distance between the broken window and Baldrago. You may attempt a chase, if you wish, or if someone has something they can do at that range, feel free.

You may all also make a perception check.
    No news is good news.

19. - Top - End - #679

Noticing Ardino eyeing the broken window and shifting his feet, Mordin raises a hand in warning.

"I believe we should stay together. The rest of us won't be able to catch up with you, and he may still be dangerous. Maybe we can follow the trail of blood later, but for now we should investigate the next room. Do you hear that too? Someone is crying in there."

He gestures towards the door with a gloved hand.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Ettin in the Playground

This was the second time one of these things had crashed out of the window, and Ardino thought it was tacky the first time. He felt the power beginning to well inside him, but is stopped by Mordin's words. His head darts back and forth from the window a few times, but ultimately he takes a breath and the power dissipates as he decides against running off.

"You're right," Ardino says. He then walks to the door and opens it.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Troll in the Playground

Gavin curses as he drops his rapier, chasing the fleeing monstrosity as far as the window and pulling out his crossbow as he goes.

"Godsdamnit Baldrago, you were always a coward."

Leaning out the shattered window, he hastily takes aim at the fleeing monster charging down the street, already an impressive distance away.
    It was a difficult shot in the dim light, and Gavin breathed a prayer to Desna as he fired.

Show

Free - Drop Rapier
    Move - Move to window, drawing crossbow as part of the move
    Standard - Fire at the fleeing Baldrago
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[21]
    Show

+2 BAB
    +4 Dex

Damage: (1d8)[2]

22. - Top - End - #682

Lady Selancourte

She was a bit disappointed at the creature fleeing, but she still moved next to Gavin at the window for some final advice -
    “Apparently you've not been told this before,
    But civilised beings, they just use the door.“

One last time, she waved her wand in fluid movements after the fleeing creature.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Use magic device: (1d20+9)[28]
    magic missile: (1d4+1)[2]

Also, since Vestis only ends her Performance after this round, Gavin gets the + 1 to attack and damage.

edit: wait, don't I get a +1 to damage myself, too? That's 3 damage for me then, too.
    Last edited by aberratio ictus; 2017-11-10 at 07:48 AM.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ogre in the Playground

Gavin fires a bolt from his crossbow, and Lady Vestis launches a blast of magic with a flick of her wrist. Both strike the fleeing creature, and he stumbles as he gallops away. The haunting voice echoes as he turns down a side street, darkness enveloping him.

"We are the hunters!"

The echo fades, and all that can be heard is a soft sobbing from behind the door Baldrago was feasting in front of. You are now out of initiative.

Ardino opens the door.

A single large desk stands in the eastern part of this large office, transformed into a makeshift bed by a bedroll and several blankets and pillows. A chamber pot sits under it. A table and three chairs sit to the west; several papers lie strewn over the table’s surface. Kneeling in front of the table, clutching an exquisite looking silver dagger, is Verik Vancaskerkin.

The blade, and his armor, are stained with a mix of blood and black ichor. The once handsome man rocks back and forth, dagger held to his throat, alternating between sobbing and prayer.

"Our Lady of Graves, I deserve no peace, no mercy. All this servant asks is a quick judgement to whatever hell awaits me. Let me not linger here, let my spirit pass on. Oh, our Lady, forgive my cowardice..."

It seems that Verik is preparing to slit his own throat. What do you do?
    No news is good news.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Troll in the Playground

Gavin muttered a curse as the beast staggers but doesn't go down.

"Catch you later then, Baldrago."

Gavin grunts as he turns away from the window, pausing a moment to regard Vestis thoughtfully.
    He wasn't sure what to make of this noblewoman, who put herself in harm's way - and now showed a whimsical sense of humor.
    And yet there could be a hard edge to her, and there was no doubt she was a Chelish noblewoman.
    So which was the real Vestis and which was the mask?

Gavin didn't have much time to ponder the matter further, as Ardino shoves the door open to the next room - to reveal Verik Vancasterkin, the supposed mastermind of this guard rebellion, down on his knees about to slice his own throat open. What bitter anger Gavin had held for the man evaporated at that sight - he had been where Verik was now. Might have done the same, if he had possessed a knife in Longacre - he hadn't been so motivated in his despair to feel like sawing through his wrist with a vaguely sharp stone.

Gavin slings his crossbow over his shoulder, keeping his hands unthreateningly out from his sides as he steps into view of the door.

"Verik! Verik Vancasterkin . . . it's me, Gavin Dimir. Do you remember me? Baldrago is gone, you don't have to be afraid of him anymore . . . why don't you put the knife down so we can talk? Whatever you're feeling right now, whatever you've done . . . that's not the right solution. Trust me, I know."

Show

Stowing crossbow
    Diplomacy, likely as a helping roll for Vestis since I assume we're not all rolling seperately: (1d20+7)[26]

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ogre in the Playground

Carla

"Oh, dammit," Carla scowls as the thing rushes out the window, no one near it seemingly able to stop it. "We can't let that thing run amok in the streets. I'll chase, someone else ready to back me up?"

Not waiting too long for an answer, she dashes to the window, catches herself on the still and drops to the street in pursuit.

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    Sevnoir spirit gives her "blood hunt" - she has run and can charge double distance.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ogre in the Playground

All The World's Meat

Verik's eyes open wide, slightly unfocused as he stares at Gavin. "D...Dimir? What are...you come to kill me? Did Kroft send you? I...this is...I didn't want this. None of this. Revolution, a better life, doing something I could be proud of. Not. They were eating people Gavin! They were killing people, and feeding them to other people, and eating them. And I let them. I let them I let them I didn't stop them I knew but I ignored itbecauseIwasscaredohgodsletmedieletmedieletmedie. "

His hand is still shaking, but as he starts sobbing he lowers the dagger, collapsing to his hands and knees.

Streets

Carla starts running through the streets, pursuing the monstrous Baldrago as best she can. The swiftness of the spirit lets her keep pace with him - just barely keeping him in sight. But she realizes she isn't gaining ground, and is getting further and further away from the others. Unless she can do something to slow him down, or outmaneuver him, she may get cut off, unable to get back up. Worse, he might be leading her into a trap.
    Last edited by THEChanger; 2017-11-15 at 01:55 AM.
    No news is good news.

27. - Top - End - #687

Lady Selancourte

As he regarded her at the window with that puzzled look, Vestis gave Gavin a half smile.
    "Well, it is true, is it not? Come on, that wasn't that bad."

Carla passed them by and jumped out of the window, vanishing into the night just like the creature had done. She was right, of course, but Vestis doubted they would be able to catch up to it, in the night, and with its speed. Vestis looked around at the others, wondering if anybody would be joining Carla in the chase -
    Just then, Ardino opened the door.

There he sat. Verik Vancasterkin, looking far less smug as he had back at the citadel. A spineless coward. It was hard to hide the deep disgust she felt for the man, but she managed to keep her countenance expressionless for the moment.
    When he stopped his verbal wallowing in self-pity and finally brought the suspiciously exquisite dagger to his throat, part of her hoped he would just do it. A coward's death was exactly what he deserved - on the other, more practical hand, they needed information... and with any luck, what the guard did to him was to be a little satisfying as well.

She was just preparing to hopefully catch him off guard by confronting him with the wife of one of the eaten, appealing to his simulated compassion and sense of duty, thereby completely destroying this whole self-indulgent act - wearing something that could easily be mistaken as a mourning dress predestined her for the role - when Gavin had sucess with a far more conservative approach. She had to admit, he had chosen his words excellently, so she remained silent.

Finally, Verik lowered his knife. Once he had collapsed to his hands and knees, Vestis slowly came closer, and laid a hand on his shoulder, mostly as a pretense to quickly and subtly swipe the knife away with her foot.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ettin in the Playground

Ardino walks over to the sobbing man, subtly kicking the dagger away from him. "Now's not the time for self-accusation. If you feel remorse about this, help us stop it; tell us what you know."
    Spoiler: Diplomacy check
    Show
    (1d20+9)[11]
    Last edited by digiman619; 2017-11-15 at 04:15 PM.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Troll in the Playground

Gavin was grateful that he had already turned away when Vestis questioned him about her joke.
    Apparently she had caught him staring at her - fortunately she thought it was about her joke and not her.
    Gavin already knew enough about the noblewoman to know she wouldn't like someone evaluating her.
    So despite wanting to give a quiet guffaw and affirmation that her humor was, in fact, on point, he simply gave a non-committal shrug.

"I suppose it was pretty good."

------

When Veric lowered the weapon from his own neck a few moments later, he allowed himself to relax.
    Although he had to bite back a shout of frustration as both Vestis and Ardino crowded around the disgraced guardsman to kick the dagger away from, almost looking for a moment like two siblings wrestling each other over a sweet.
    He managed to only let off a quiet cough as he turned away and walked over to retrieve his rapier, sheathing it in his belt.

"None of us are here to kill you, Veric. Kroft did send us because she had heard some disturbing rumors about this place and was worried about you."

Not exactly the truth there, as Gavin was pretty sure Kroft planned to do worse than just box Veric's ears for this screw-up.
    But there was a grain of truth as well - the Captain cared for her people.
    Gavin should have known better than to assume the worst for all these years.

"While my companion is rather direct, he has a point."

Gavin said, glaring at Ardino and motioning with his head to step back.

"I'm not going to lie to you Veric - this doesn't look good. But I know you're a good man. You always believed in making Korvosa a better place, and I admired you for your idealism."

That . . . that was closer to a bald-faced lie there. Gavin had shared Veric's belief in making Korvosa a better place, but Veric had always been too much of a perfectionist and busy-body in Gavin's opinion.

"So I'm going to assume that you didn't participate in this . . . horror . . . and simply failed to stop it. That's alright. I failed too. I could have stopped Gaedren Lamm before he started any of this, but I didn't and spent five years in disgrace. But I'm here now, and I'm not going to falter again. You can redeem yourself too. We're guardsmen sworn to protect this city, and right now more than ever this city needs us. All you have to do is try. You can help us more than you may think right now - Baldrago and Maulder were Lamm's people. You might have heard them talking about something,
    something that didn't seem important in the moment but could help us find Lamm and stop him once and for all. Just think, and tell us what you remember. That's all you have to do right now."

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show

Diplomacy: (1d20+7)[25]

30. - Top - End - #690

Lady Selancourte

Vestis was was a bit bewildered by Ardino kicking the knife even further away, but showed no obvious reaction. Immediately, once Berik didn't have the immediate means to kill himself any more, she stepped away from the sobbing man and carefully picked up the silver dagger. It seemed... rather too remarkable for a man like Verik. Another framing device, by any chance?

The left corner of her mouth twitched indignantly as she heard Gavin talking. It would be quite interesting to hear what Verik would have to say about this.