New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: THEChanger's Curse of the Crimson Throne: Edge of Anarchy

Lady Selancourte

Following the plan, Lady Selancourte stayed at the back of the group with Dirkust. Hidden under the elegant red cloak, her left hand played nervously with the rapier's hilt while she observed Avrin's efforts.
    Avatar made by lankybugger - Thanks a lot!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Carla forces herself to act nonchalantly as she nears the door,looking at Mordin's signal. She makes a silent gesture to Eslivar to bring the dog to heel. "Let me know if we need to break it down so I can get Eslivar to bark back. Might just help cause enough noise so most people don't hear the door being forced. Not that you need much incentive, do you boy, she smiled down at the large dog. "
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Avrin dashes up to the door. The first pick breaks in his hand, and he swears under his breath as he draws the second from his pocket. The lock, it turns out, is one Avrin has had plenty of experience with before - it's the same type Avrin first learned to pick on. It pops open with a couple well placed flicks of the wrist, and Avrin pushes the door open as quietly as he can.

Inside is a twenty five by twenty foot room. In the center is a worn desk and chair, obviously disused. Starting in the northeast corner is a short flight of stairs, obviously newly constructed, that lead up to a smaller, enclosed room on the second floor, the walls of which also look newly constructed. The door to that room is open, and as you all enter, you hear the following conversation.

"Look, I don't care what Gaedren told you. None of you are getting paid until I hear from- Wait. Did you hear that?"

"Oh no, you can't pull that-"

"No, you oaf, someone is here!"

From under the desk comes a low growl as a mangy dog crawls out into the room. A couple of burly thugs pop out of the room above onto the stairs, along with a very thin man with long, greasy blonde hair, dressed in a long coat several decades out of fashion. Yargin Balko. His eyes widen in terror as he sees all of you - the man recognizes all five that charged in.

"Alright, alright, don't just stand there! Kill them! Kill them and I'll pay you what Gaedren promised! I'll pay double!"

The thugs draw some clubs, and start to descend the stairs.
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

"That's our cue!" Ardino says to Gavin. He the rushes in ready for action. He hits the dog with a One-Two Punch, hoping that will draw its attention.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Moving up to Bloo, then initiating One-Two Punch
    Attack 1 (1d20+2)[13]
    Attack 2 (1d20+2)[19]
    Damage 1: (1d3+3)[4]
    Damage 2: (1d3+3)[6]

If one of the attacks hit, Bloo is locked unless he makes a DC 19 Reflex check. Being locked will make him unable to move and (due to my stance) he will have a -2 penalty to hit anyone else.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2017-03-06 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Forgot to add color
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Bloo yelps as Ardino charges from the door and knocks the dog about with both fists. The mutt crumples to the floor, and looks like it won't be getting up anytime soon. Yargin screams in rage.
    No news is good news.

6. - Top - End - #96

Mordin charges in with his greatsword, rushing towards the closest henchman and trying to strike him down.

Show
    Attack roll on Thug 1 (if there wasn't room to charge, it's 2 less): (1d20+7)[11]
    Damage roll: (2d6+7)[17]

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

As the others rushed in, Dirkust jogged across the street, coming into the doorway. He took in the small space and the thugs inside, gripping his dagger defensively.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Avrin curses as he damages his first pick and mutters under his breath. "Damned low-quality shoddy craftsmanship..."

Still, the door proves easy enough to open, and he quickly gives the signal to the rest of the group as the doors open. He straightens up as the others begin to rush past him, unslinging the crossbow from his back and lining up a shot at one of the thugs on the stairs, being the only target that isn't obscured by Mordin's plate-armoured form. He speaks casually to the hired thugs even as he looses his bolt.

"Wow, turns out they'll even offer to pay when asking you to commit suicide. How generous."

Show

Not going to move, just drawing my Light Crossbow and opening fire from the door. Aiming at Yargin, because the other two are in melee combat and *mumble grumble Precise Shot grumble*

CANCEL THAT. My shot is at Thug 2, the only viable target.

Attack roll: (1d20+4)[15] (Cancel that! -4 penalty to this from shooting into combat! 11 is a certain miss!)
    Damage: (1d8)[1]
    If the bolt misses, does it get to live? On a 2, it does!: (1d2)[2] (Yay, it lives!)

Current stats:
    HP 10/10

AC17, Touch 14, FF 13
    Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6

1st Level Spells: 2/2
    Copycat: 7/7
    Style Points: 1

Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2017-03-07 at 02:32 AM.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Gavin blinks as Ardino rushes past the group the instant the door is open to beat the old dog to death with his bare hands.

Wow, he must have really hated that dog . . .

(OOC: I know, I know, we can take actions in any order, but after the belabored planning the image of Ardino forgetting all that so he can get in there first to kill Bloo is hilarious to me. )

For better or worse, it seems that the plan was going to hell already, as Yargin and a bunch of thugs appear from the room above. Mordin moves to engage them while Bloo crumples under Ardino's savage beating. Arvin snaps off a shot at the thugs from the doorway with his crossbow, and Dirkust appears next to the doorway as if he teleported rather than running across the street. Gavin ducks past the two of them as he moves into the room, circling around the desk and fallen dog to join Mordin by the stairs.

Gavin remembered Yargin as well - the man had always seemed like a coward, which was probably why he and Lamm made good business partners.

"We just want Lamm, Yargin! Tell us where he is!"

Gavin growls as he sweeps in, blocking the thug's path down the stairs and stabbing at him with his rapier. It's not a particularly graceful thrust, but it is fast and powered by the simmering resentment of five years wasted in hell.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Move: Move to K9 - should be able to get there in 30' move
    Standard: Attack Thug 1
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[19]
    Spoiler: To-Hit Mods
    Show

+4 Dex
    +1 BAB
    +1 Weapon Focus

Damage: (1d6+4)[5]
    Spoiler: Damage Mods
    Show

+4 Dex

- If attacked in melee prior to next turn -
    Gavin will use Opportune Parry and Riposte for 1 Panache Point & Attack of Opportunity
    Spoiler: Parry
    Show

If roll is higher than attacker's to-hit roll, attack automatically misses and Gavin can spend an immediate action to attack.
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[26]
    Show

+4 Dex
    +1 BAB
    +1 Weapon Focus

Spoiler: Attack
    Show

To-Hit: (1d20+6)[23]
    Show

+4 Dex
    +1 BAB
    +1 Weapon Focus

Damage: (1d6+4)[9]
    Show

+4 Dex

I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Carla

Carla quickly eyes the room. The thugs were unexpected, but if that was all they would probably not amount to much... presuming her companions were not dead weight either

"Hello, Yargin,"
    she crooned menacingly, large flail in hand, then turned towards the thugs. "Only warning. You´re not getting paid either way, and this is personal. Leave or die. " She waits for a moment and then, (presuming no satisfactory answer comes) lunges at the nearest one with a snarl

Show

Charge + attack, rage on.
    Attack: (1d20+9)[21]
    Damage: (1d10+9)[18]

She expects that the black mastiff would follow and get in on the action pretty quickly, but in the rush leaves it to its own devices for now.
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2017-03-07 at 10:10 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101

Lady Selancourte

This was going to be fast and bloody. She heard Mr Dimir and Carla making demands of the leader of the thugs, but she didn't believe they were going to be listened to.
    Lady Selancourte stayed at the back of the group with Dirkust and Avrin, making subtle gestures with her right hand and intoning another spell. "सावधान, सैनिक!"

Spoiler: Casting
    Show
    Casting Daze on one of the thugs, probably Thug 2, if I can see him. (I assume he has 4 or fewer HD?)
    He has to make a will safe vs DC 14, if he fails he is dazed and loses his actions for the round.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a brief flurry of activity. First, Ardino charges in, and lays Bloo low with two well placed punches. The mutt whimpers as he collapses. Mordin and Gavin move in next, and while Mordin swings wide with his sword, Gavin plunges his rapier into the first thug's stomach. He slumps against the wall, and seems unlikely to rise again. Avrin rolls into the room and looses a crossbow bolt, but the second thug dodges out of the way...

Opening himself up to Carla's flail, which smashes into his face, throwing him out the window and into the river waiting below. Carla's own dog follows quickly after, but is unable to get onto the stairs to attack the next enemy.

The third thug raises his club, ready to strike Carla in retaliation, but finds himself unfocousing, as Vestis whispers infernal sorceries under her breath. Yargin sneers, and pulls a long, thin piece of wood from his belt. It glows with a sickly green light, and a glob of acid is tossed in the general direction of Carla, only to splatter on the wall far above her head. Yargin's sneer turns to a look of concern, as his allies are rapidly disappearing.

Round Two
    FIGHT!
    No news is good news.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Avrin grunts as the bolt goes wide, but then smiles as he watching his allies quickly and efficiently cut through Lamm's goons. Huh. Looks like these people are pretty good. Excellent... He muses to himself, even as he begins to pick a new target. He moves unhurriedly into the room, pulling back the level on his crossbow and loading another bolt as he goes. "Looks like you're running out of friends, Yargin." He calls out conversationally as he lines up a shot on the blonde-haired man above.

Show

Moving right across the room to the space in front of the double doors , combining the Move with reloading Avrin's crossbow, then going to make a Ranged Attack against Yargin. Should be a clear shot with no Cover.

Attack roll: (1d20+4)[19]
    On a miss, the bolt survives on a 2: (1d2)[1]

Current stats:
    HP 10/10

AC17, Touch 14, FF 13
    Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6

1st Level Spells: 2/2
    Copycat: 7/7
    Crossbow Bolts in reserve: 18
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Running past his teammates and the unconscious thug, Ardino tries to knock the remaining thug off the stairs.
    Show
    Move action: Get adjacent to Thug 3.
    Standard action: Initiate Whirlwind Kick. If my Climb check beats the thug's CMD, I send him flying 10 feet to the left, right on top of my previous opponent.
    Climb check (1d20+6)[12]

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing the stairway clogged and Arvin getting the bright idea to start shooting at Yargin, Gavin decides he has the right idea.
    As he moves over to stand in the back corner of the room beside Arvin, he draws his crossbow from his back.
    Reaching his chosen spot, Gavin drops his rapier at his feet and then hefts the crossbow with both hands, taking aim at Lamm's lackey before snapping off a shot.

Show

I'm going to assume I can hold both a light crossbow in my shield hand (since it's a buckler and doesn't occupy the hand) and my rapier in my sword hand without issue so long as I don't try to use them.
    If that's not the case, I'll drop the rapier first, and then move + draw crossbow.
    Move: Move to I9, drawing Light Crossbow (since I have +1 BAB)
    Free: Drop rapier, switch up to hold light crossbow with both hands
    Standard: Fire at Yargin
    To-Hit: (1d20+4)[7]
    Show

+4 Dex
    +1 BAB
    -1 Buckler (as crossbow is two-handed)

Damage: (1d8)[4]

16. - Top - End - #106

Mordin hisses in anger as his first attack swings wide, while his allies rush in to deal with the thugs on ground level more efficiently. Seeing the crowded chaos at the staircase, he decides to stay back for the moment.

He backs a few feet away to get a clear view of Yargin at the balcony, pulls a dagger from his belt and hurls it towards him, yelling "Come down and fight, you coward!"

Show

Mordin starts by moving back 1 square (5-foot step)

Move action to draw a dagger (taking one hand off the sword while not using it, which means Mordin won't threaten this turn)
    Ranged attack roll on Yargin (dagger): (1d20+1)[12]

Damage, in the unlikely event I actually hit him: (1d4+5)[7]
    Last edited by Corlindale; 2017-03-08 at 04:13 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107

Lady Selancourte

A little smile crossed her face as the thug fell victim to her spell when he was just about to strike Carla - the latter making the very impressive move of sweeping her target out of the window in one powerful blow to the face.

Quickly and nimbly, the Chelish Lady moved up next to Mr Dimir, who had taken out his crossbow to support Avrin, and targeted the greasy-haired man in the old-fashioned long coat - Yagrin, the others called him? - next. "सावधान, सैनिक!"

Spoiler: Casting
    Show
    Casting another Daze, this time on Yargin, since thug three is currently immune against another Daze.
    Last edited by aberratio ictus; 2017-03-08 at 03:19 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Dirkust blinked blankly at the chaos of the engagement. He stood in the door frame, awkwardly, unsure exactly what he should do. He turned around, grabbing the doors and closing them shut, gently, before turning back around with his back to the doors.

Spoiler
    Show
    No actions for Dirkust besides door closing.
    Last edited by MesiDoomstalker; 2017-03-08 at 11:08 AM.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Carla

Several years ago, Carla would have gasped with wonder at having the strength to thresh a grown man with such force that he literally thrown off his feet. But these years are long gone and the always starving waif who would prostrate herself on the floor, dreading the next kick or the lash with the belt, is long gone. All that anyone else could see of her is the anger driving the strikes.

How many nights has she dreamt of dishing it out, and damn, does it feel good. Despite the ugliness of seeing a man's body shiver and crumple under the blow, she is smiling. Lost in the moment, she almost misses her chance to defend herself from the next goon, and tries to hurriedly bring her weapon back up to ward off the next thug´s attack, but for some reason it never comes. Probably magic, flashes through her mind. From my side? Good. Meanwhile, one more goon stands in her way to get to Yargin, and thus Lamm.

The goons had their chance to do it the easy way.

Show
    Standard attack, still in rage
    Attack:(1d20+7)[23]
    Damage:(1d10+9)[19]
    If he is downed, move action to move towards Yargin, if he does not have an open weapon I would try to move past him so he can't flee

"Tell'em Greeneyes sent you."
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2017-03-09 at 01:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Several ranged attacks fly towards Yargin. He deftly dodges the dagger from Mordin and Gavin's crossbow bolt, and Avrin's bolt just barely catches his shoulder. Yargin grins for but a moment, as Ardino distracts the last thug long enough for Carla to slam him across the face. Looking around, Yargin desperately tries to evaluate an option for escape, his eyes widening. And then going unfocused. And then his jaw hanging slack, as Vestis' magic takes hold of him. It doesn't look like he'll be doing anything for a little bit.

Round Three
    FIGHT!
    No news is good news.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Ardino takes a step forward and slams a fist into the dazed man, pulling the punch enough to damage him without hurting him too much; if the rest of the group took him out, so be it, but he wanted information out of hi if possible.
    Show
    Move action: Move up to Yargin
    Standard: Initiate Shards of Iron Strike. Attack: (1d20+4)[24] damage (1d3+3)[5]; doing NL damage.
    If successful, foe is stunned for 1 round (no save), and has to make a DC 19 Reflex save or be locked.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: critical confirmation
    Show
    Extra text!
    (1d20+4)[17] (1d3+3)[6]

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Gavin actually winces as he witnesses Ardino smash his fists into Yargin - that looked like it really hurt.
    Incredibly though, the man is still on his feet, and so Gavin dutifully reloads his crossbow and fires off another shot, taking care not to risk hitting Ardino should the bolt go wild.

Show

Move: Reload Crossbow
    Standard: Shoot at Yargin again
    To-Hit: (1d20+1)[21]
    Show

+4 Dex
    +1 BAB
    -4 Firing into Melee

24. - Top - End - #114

After once again missing his attack, Mordin grunts and grabs the hilt of his sword with both hands, his fists clenched in anger and frustration. The top of the staircase is still too crowded for him, so he merely moves a little closer to the stairwell, poised to strike if Ardino succeeds in pulling Yargin down, as he saw him trying to do this against the other thug.

Show
    Mordin moves one square closer, standing above the body of Thug 1. Ready action to strike Yargin if Ardino manages to throw him within range.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Carla

Another one falls, and one of the guys...Ardino, was it - takes his place. Carla snarls with annoyance, but realizes that shoving him off the stairs so she can get to Yargin is probably not a good idea. Dammit... she relaxes slightly and tries to focus herself, and the rush of violence-driven adrenaline fades, leaving her slightly drained. Yargin seems to be slightly dazed, himself. Hmm...

"Keep the left side open" she hoarsely whispers to Ardino as she draws a large throwing blade - and aims for Yargin as soon as the old bastard tries to move or pull something funny.

Show
    Rage ends
    Move action: Draw a dart
    Standard action: ready action to fire if Yargin moves, attacks or if she gets a clear shot
    Attack: (1d20+2)[5], -4 if cover applies
    Damage: (1d4+3)[5]
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2017-03-10 at 05:34 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116

Lady Selancourte

For the moment, Vestis stayed back. Her spell wouldn't work so soon after she had cast it on the same target, and she'd rather save her other tricks for when they finally confronted Lamm; it was much too crowded on the staircase anyways. She turned and eyed the doors to the other rooms, hoping the children hadn't started to flee yet, as they probably had been advised to... she barely fought down the impulse to open the door and take a look.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Ardino rushes up the stairs, and gives Yargin a solid pounding, shoving the greasy man up against the wall. A crossbow bolt from Gavin pierces the criminal's left shoulder, and as the other invaders all wait for a chance to pounce, Yargin slumps against the wall, almost knocked unconscious and stunned by Ardino's vicious assault. Without help incoming, it looks as though Yargin will soon fall.

"Yargin, what in the Wound is going on out here? You got the Lambs so wound up they can't-"

A door opens, and a rather burly half-orc woman steps into the frame. This, as Ardino, Avrin, Carla, Mordin, and possibly Gavin would remember, is Giggles. Giggles is Lamm's 'motherly matron', and in charge of ensuring the Little Lambs work properly, and is also in charge of administering all but the worst punishments. She gets her name because she giggles when she beats children. At this moment, her mouth is open wide, but she quickly regains her composure, and takes a swing at Gavin with an enormous flail. It crashes into the wall beside him, splinters flying everywhere.

Round Four
    FIGHT!
    Last edited by THEChanger; 2017-03-10 at 10:16 PM.
    No news is good news.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Ardino slams Yargin into the wall once again, hoping that will deal with him; as he has an old "friend" to introduce to his fist.
    Show
    Swift action: Attempt Victory Gambit/ (If I KO Yagrin this turn, I get to recover up to 4 maneuvers (so, all of them.) If I fail, I get -2 on all d20 rolls next turn and only regain 1 maneuver.
    Standard action: punch him again. (1d20+4)[18] (1d3+3)[6]
    Move action: If he's still alive, I drag him to the far end of the balcony so I can get closer to Giggles. If he's KO'd, I'll take a more direct route and get beside Gavin
    Last edited by digiman619; 2017-03-10 at 11:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

"Nice - mmph - to see you again, Giggles."

Gavin grunts in the best deadpan tone he can manage while twisting away from the half-orc's flail.
    He just barely manages to dodge the flail head, but not the shower of splinters it sends flying in all directions as it plows into the door frame at about the same level as his head.
    As he pirouettes away he lets the empty crossbow fall from his hands but this movement is just a cover for his weapon hand to drop down to his belt and draw the dagger sheathed there, right next to where his rapier normally would be.

In a flash of movement Gavin's weapon hand comes back up, stabbing at Giggle's face in an effort to at least make her flinch before Gavin dances back, dropping into a knife-fighter's stance.
    He was even less of an expert in knife-fighting than he was in fencing, but five years of hard life in prison and working in the underworld was enough to teach the basics.
    Keeping his eyes on the flail as it starts to spin up again, Gavin slides further back into the room and waits for another opening to lunge forward with another fast and hard stab.

Show

Free: Drop crossbow onto the floor
    Move: Draw dagger from belt
    Standard: Stab Giggles with dagger (Piercing)
    Free: 5' Step Back to I10
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[16]
    Show

+4 Dex
    +1 BAB

Damage: (1d4+2)[4]
    Show

+2 Str

- If Gavin is attacked in melee, spending Panache & Attack of Opportunity to Parry/Riposte -
    Spoiler: Parry
    Show

To-Hit: (1d20+5)[9]
    Show

+4 Dex
    +1 BAB

If higher than attacker's to-hit roll, the attack automatically misses (ties go to attacker).
    If Gavin successfully parries, he will use an immediate action to riposte (if attacker is within reach - i.e. adjacent)
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[11]
    Show

+4 Dex
    +1 BAB

Damage: (1d4+2)[5]
    Show

+2 Str

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Dirkust jumped as the door swung open, the imposing half-orc standing in the frame. I think we should move quickly. he states, matter of factly. Dirkust studies his finger nails, idly. He makes a mental note to trim them 1/16th of an inch at the next opportunity.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!