New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Further Adventures in New Ganthar (IC)

Day 8 - 9 days remaining

After waging battle well into the small hours of the morning, neither of you is awake to see the dawn. Instead, it is the miserly light of a dreary, overcast mid-morning that falters through your windows when you open your eyes. A brief look outside reveals a half-hearted drizzle of rain, the kind that you barely notice as it soaks you to the skin.

The day is cold, as well, enough so to call for cloaks even while you are indoors. The idea of spending the day traipsing from one merchant to the next, growing colder and damper as the day progresses, hardly thrills you; yet the wealth you have won, and the certainty of greater threats to come, mean that you have little choice.

As you walk the corridors, you see Templars walking individually or in pairs, hardly a man of them without a grim expression and some visible injury, recently bandaged. Knowing where you are, you wonder what other and greater injuries have been sustained by their peers, if these have been left without magical healing.

At the breakfast table, you find Ember just starting to eat, together with several more wounded Templars. She signals you over; her companions seem too dazed to object, as she delivers her news.

"The Lord Commander lives," she begins. "He got back an hour after we did, accompanied by eight Templars and Asoryala. They are all who survived of the twenty who went with him last night on his mission.

"Now, after speaking with these men, I can piece together some of what happened.

"The Lord Commander learned - from Natalia, I understand - that there was an artefact of significant power in the possession of the dragon that makes these mountains her home. It is called the Lens of the Mind's Eye. He also learned that the Malturites meant to retrieve it last night, and use it for some sinister purpose. He was determined to prevent that.

"For that reason, he took every available Templar he trusted and led them into battle. The Malturites were there, and hit them hard; so too was the dragon. They also believe another group was present: the cave was sealed by some form of magic, one of their scouts was brutally murdered and dismembered, and the Lens itself was nowhere to be found.

"They thought the dragon had left to chase the Malturites, but it returned far more quickly than they anticipated.

"Asoryala was able to help them escape, but it was a rout. The dragon proved more dangerous than they had hoped; what was to be a brief in-and-out mission turned into a protracted search, with grim consequences.

"The only positive to come out of this is that the Crimson Fists were beaten, losing several of their number and forced to flee."

"Not the only positive,"
    one of the Templars speaks up. "Brother Niall wants to speak with Sir Theo, as soon as the healers have finished with him. That bodes well, surely?"
    Last edited by ilinares; 2017-06-05 at 02:25 AM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yara spends the first few minutes of her day in prayer, grateful that her demon had ben exorcised from her. She felt more powerful than she had ever been, her new powers clearly a mark of Feronax's favour. She was working towards his purpose, one powerful artifact had been recovered. Once she was done she made her way to breakfast.
    Yara silently listens to what is said at the dinner table. Knowing it may be needed, she silently meditates to prepare to disguise her intentions.
    "I was there for part of that battle," Yara says apologetically, "The demon that use to possess me took control and by the time I regained control it had already slain the scout. I found the battle and didn't stick around long, I had to flee the dragon. By the time I got back I encountered Father Michel, and you know the rest."
    "I found a few dead Malturites but didn't find any clues to their location. Did this Natalia give any clue to where they are? Actually who is Natalia?"
    This confirmed that the Malturites were after the lens, but what use was a psionic object to them? Did they have a psion or could the lens be useful to arcane magic as well...
    "Was the dragon wounded? Can we expect it to retaliate or shall it stay where it is?"
    "Oh, and has Calartes been destroyed yet? I still feel uncomfortable with my psicrystal distant."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Manifested conceal thoughts for +10 bluff and +4 to will against mind reading for 8 hours.
    Manifested it without display. DC16 concentration so auto pass
    Bluff: (1d20+18)[32]
    I don't think Yara knows of Natalia as Theo made a point of not telling her about the vampire lair location from the meeting. I'm going to check that part again to make sure. I also can't remember if she knows Asoryala, I don't know where that would be so I may be searching for a bit.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

PREVIOUS NIGHT

Theo is given his old spartan room; four stone walls, a stiff bed, a bedside table and chair, and enough floor space to maneuver between them. So much work to do, and I still do not know yet what exactly I am looking for.

Theo lights the candle on the little table, pulls out the encrypted letter that Ilyen had found at Carbunckle Street, and sits down to begin his work. His short prayer for guidance, and a casting of Divine Insight, takes little time. Staring at the page, he pulls out a sheet of parchment and an inkpen. His old captain, Mark Tanner, had once tried to teach Theo shortcuts to figuring out these kinds of messages, but they never came easy for him. His scratching out attempts and rewriting cost him another page of parchment, and melted wax was beginning to pool around the candle's base.

And then something occurred to Theo. This document was a letter, it had a sender and recipient noted on the page. If he could figure out who either of them were, he could begin to piece together common words. And then, as the realization struck him, a voice that felt like his Goddess's seemed to whisper in his ear. Halest.

It took Theo two breath's of time to remember where he heard that name. On the second floor, near the beginning of that battle, one of the Wyverns called out to his leader, a man named Halest. It fit in the letter, and it would only make sense that Halest would be the recipient of the letter and not the sender. Working backwards with that in mind, Theo finally figured out the true contents of the letter.

Spoiler: Taking 20 on Decipher Script, 33 with Divine Insight
    Show
    halest,

your efforts on behalf of maltur have not gone unnoticed. i am well aware of the time and resources you put into transforming the black wyverns into a credible fighting force.

but your efforts at converting them to the faith have been less successful. what good is a weapon we cannot wield?

our new allies demand the black wyverns be destroyed. if we can goad our enemies into attacking them, so much the better - we will kill many birds with one stone.

there are many schemes afoot to achieve our goal. war in ganthar would be glorious - but there are other irons in the fire.

the daughter will arise - and then, our lord's victory will be certain! demons will ravage every plane, total war will consume everything. charis will fall - and our allies, too, will have their victory.

let it be, halest. return to us, and await your next task.

yours in maltur

dargun

Theo took the encrypted letter and scrawled out the new contents with his cipher on the top on a new piece of parchment, so that he could present both to Niall in the morning. Satisfied with his work, Theo finally let himself go to sleep.

THE FOLLOWING MORNING

Theo woke up to the sound of a gentle rain tapping against his window. Feeling fully rested for the first time since he arrived in Ganthar, the rain felt like both a blessing and a curse. Sure, the rain helped him sleep, but now he had to trudge through it to get to the armorer to sell off some of his treasure, and to a store to buy up what other items he would find useful.

Making his way to the breakfast table, Theo gets himself a modest meal of porridge, sausages, and coffee. He notes the tired looks on many of the faces surrounding him in the room. Their fight was a difficult one, Theo concluded, seeing the many injuries they held. Sitting next to Ember, with Yara finding her way next to Theo, he listens to the information that the cleric could give him.

Thank you for the information, Ember. Let us consider ourselves blessed that the Lord Commander and many of our brothers and sisters could make it back. We have no time to grieve for those who lost their lives last night, but I shall keep their sacrifice in my head when I next pray to Charis for guidance and wisdom. They will not be forgotten. I have no need for healing, where might I find Niall at this hour?

To Yara's question, Theo replies briefly. Natalia is someone who Brother Niall has decided to ally himself with. She has been a source of some information so far. Consider yourself lucky if you never cross paths with her, and keep your guard up if you do. Calartes would have been destroyed by now, his misted form was magically restrained where the sunlight could tear him apart.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

4. - Top - End - #184

"How long has she been feeding Niall information for? And who is she to possibly know?"
    As she asks, Yara reaches out to her psicrystal, calling it towards her.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

While Yara may have ridden herself of the demonic presence within her, she still is show know how much to say, and in whose presence in which to say it. Of the several members in the mess hall, some looked to Theo in awe of his divine blessing, others followed Niall dutifully. And given the military nature of the arrangement, and the need to control the flow of knowledge, honest answers to those questions would need to be saved for another time.

Why he seeks information from her is on his own conscience, especially given that he is one of the chief members of this church that just lost it's leader. All that matters is that Charis consents to it, which she has.
    Theo concludes diplomatically, mindful that he is trying to prevent the schism that Charis had feared and warned against. He pulls Yara in closer by her arm so that only she could hear his whisper, Be mindful of your surroundings.

Spoiler
    Show
    @Timble, not to shut Yara out or anything, Theo is just trying to show some tact.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

6. - Top - End - #186

Yara was confused and nervous over how diplomatic Theo was being, how dangerous was the situation here? Niall taking the Templars had shown there was some division in the church, but asking after Natalia was a sore point? Who was she and what sides were there in the temple of Charis.
    Show

I don't think Yara has been much involved in Theo's struggles with Niall. I may be struggling a bit with what I know and what Yara knows, while I know what's going on I can't remember any point where Yara was involved.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Yara
    Show
    Reaching out, you sense your psicrystal. It remains in the construction site where you last saw Calartes; checking in with you, it reports that it had no way of perceiving its surroundings for a considerable time, but now finds itself alone in the building. It will begin to make its way back to you now.

As for Calartes, there is no sign of him. It reports seeing a Vanguard officer collecting up a spellbook and several apparently magical objects, before leaving.

The Templars seem to accept Yara's account, although this talk of possession makes them look uneasy.

Ember catches Theo's eye. "It is Niall who needed healing, Sir Theo," she says softly.

Reaching into her tunic, she produces a folded letter.

"With everything that happened last night, I forgot to give you this. It's a letter from Father Michel, addressed to you.

"There has been no official announcement yet, but the rumour mill has been very active. I'd say it's public knowledge by now that Michel is no longer with us."

Looking behind you, she spots a priest entering the room.

"She was one of the healers working on Niall," she tells you, nodding to indicate her to you. "They must have finished patching him up. Good luck."

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo finishes his breakfast and reads Michel's letters while drinking his coffee. Strange, what a full night of sleep with no interruptions or worries of what the morrow will bring will do to a man; his breakfast was more satisfying and his coffee tasted better than he had remembered it to be.

Reading the letter, Theo kept his face dispassionate, choosing to let those who were hoping for a sign of the letters contents to keep guessing. His sympathies for Yara increased, for it underlined that she battled with a demon, among his and Charis's greatest enemies, on her own and every day. Pride in the greatness of Michel's spirit swelled in his chest as he read about the man's sacrifice for the soul of Yara, and in that moment he renewed his vow to help Yara turn her life around.

As to the rest, Theo decided to allow the future to unfold, and to react to it when it does. Prophesy was seldom something that Theo put his faith in, but his sword was sworn in service to Charis. He would not waver in his loyalty regardless of his Chosen status, or who led the temple.

When Ember noticed that one of the healers came into the room, Theo stood to take his leave. Thank you, Ember, for the letter and for your assistance. Yara, I would hope that you choose to stay in this temple for the time being. It may be that Niall or others will want to hear your account of what happened with Father Michel, and after we finish with our morning business we can go off into the market to sell off some of our newly found fortune. If you would like, Asoryala studies both divine and arcane magic. I know you are the academic type, it might be that the two of you would be able to share some information on your brand of magic.

And with that, Theo went to go see Niall. He asked the healer if the Lord Commander could be found in his office, and then headed in that direction. Opening the door confidently, Theo stepped in and begins conversation on a pleasant topic. I have been told that you have struck a great blow to the Crimson Fists, killing many and scattering the rest to the wind. Congratulations, I am sure that your victory pleases our Goddess.

Spoiler
    Show
    In case it wasnt clear, my passion for coffee, the drink of the gods, is shared by Theo.

Also, Know(Rel) for the contents of the note regarding prophesies: (1d20+12)[26]
    Diplomacy with Niall: (1d20+10)[19]
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189

"Yes... she sounds interesting," Yara says to Theo's suggestion to see Asoryla. "Can anyone give me directions to where she is?"
    As she heads towards Asoryla, she wonders what happened to the thugs from last night and if they had listened to her. Not wanting to remain apart from her crystal for much longer, she calls on it to raise from the ground and fly.
    Show

With current level and improved psicrystal, the psicrystal can fly at 50ft(poor)

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Gunn & Perseus
    Show
    With your guide ahead of you, finding your way through the forest is simple enough - though several times you see things on one side or other of the path, either sinister beasts that beat their chests and threaten you, or beautiful dryads and nymphs trying to lure you astray. The words of the Feywitch ominous in your minds, you ignore dangers and temptations alike.

After ten minutes of walking, you notice the same abrupt change in temperature and climate that you did on first arriving in the Feywitch's domain. You step instantly into a curtain of fine, persistent rain, an involuntary shiver going up your spines as the air temperature drops ten degrees in a heartbeat.

You are no longer in a forest. Looking around, you see a handful of trees and shrubs in contrived patterns, a green space empty of wildlife other than a few huddled birds. It is a moment before Gunn recognises it: a park in the Nobles' District of New Ganthar.

While it is mostly deserted, two people - a young man and woman - were wrapped in one another's arms in the dubious shelter of a tree. They jump visibly at your appearance, stepping away from one another in embarrassment; then they look at the dwarf, blanch, and run away.

Spoiler: Theo
    Show
    As you had guessed, Niall is in his office - though, on catching sight of him, you wonder if he ought to be.

While the healers have done their work, the scars of last night's battle are plainly to be seen on his frame. One hand is distorted, like misshapen wax, although by appearances he might have spent a year healing and recovering from the burns that caused it. His throat and chest, visible through his tunic, show several puckered scars in the curved pattern of a bite - but a bite by a creature whose head was the size of a ten-year-old child.

For the first time, you see him without his armour; he moves awkwardly in dark blue robes, plainly still aching from injuries you cannot see.

You catch sight of one ankle, and notice that it is the raw pink colour of new skin, hinting at other injuries now repaired.

Brother Niall smiles weakly at your opening gambit.

"Ha. That's one way to describe it. But I didn't ask you here for your pity, or your false praise, Brother Roost."

He indicates the chair opposite him, clearly expecting you to sit down; but whether you do or not, he carries on.

"Last night, as you may have heard, I acted on intelligence from the Temple of Valacles, taking the Templars into battle with the Crimson Fists over an artefact supposedly in the possession of the hellspawned d- dragon that lives to the north." He closes his eyes tightly, breathing deeply for a moment, having to gather his composure.

"In hindsight, I was letting my personal feelings get in the way of my judgment. The dragon was stronger than I gave it credit for, but I should have planned for that - should have chosen my companions with care. I should have taken you. Charis knows, I'd rather you had died than -" He seems to check himself, shaking his head to dislodge the thought and raising a hand in wordless apology.

"Regardless, now twelve valuable Templar warriors are dead, over an artefact that wasn't there in the first place. Either that, or Natalia snuck in and took it when we were fighting the Malturites.

"And, to top it off, I learn Father Michel died while I was off questing after glory. Do you know, I was glad when I heard he had lost his mind? Actually glad. It didn't cross my mind to be sorry for him - I just saw the chance to be Charis's next High Priest. But now he's gone...

"I seem to see him in my mind's eye, Roost, as he used to be when I was a young acolyte. He seemed like the ideal priest - wise, thoughtful, always ready to offer guidance. And the power he wielded - that Charis blessed him with - it was wondrous to behold. Even Obren wasn't his match."

He stops talking, seeming to think better of this moment of vulnerability. Looking self-conscious, he casts around for a way to change the subject.

"What of your own plans? You meant to lead an alliance of temples against the vampires, I believe?"

Show
    With the priests to guide you, it is not long before you find the aloof elven woman named Asoryala, who carries the title of Arcane Disciple.

She is in an immaculate study, walls bearing obsessively organised shelves of books and scrolls, clearly catalogued and labeled. Everything is spotlessly clean. Even a shelf of what are clearly spell components is meticulously segregated with bottles, wooden boxes, and other containers in height order.

A work desk shows the only untidiness - a broken yew wand, its pieces carefully arranged, surrounded by carving knives and other tools. Hunched over that desk, the wizard takes a moment to look up at you, one eyebrow rising in mild surprise.

"It is Yara, I believe?" she asks you. "This visit is rather unexpected." Her voice is filled with distaste at that last word, as though it were something vulgar.

"What brings you to my study?"

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo does not spend long gazing at the wounds of the healing soldier. It is no false praise. He countered, knowing that the man would not drop his distaste for Theo. We are allies in the fight against the enemies of Charis. You engaged them and dealt the Malturites a defeat. I am sure She is quite pleased. The men who fought their last battle tonight join Charis's side in eternal vigil.

Theo sits in the chair offered to him and let Niall talk through his obvious pain, not reacting to his open comments disparaging Theo. When he indicates that it is Theo's turn to debrief him on his fight, Theo begins. The faithful of Charis will miss one of Her finest preachers. Father Michel, though I have only known him shortly, he was certainly a man to be respected, even venerated. I am sure that you heard something of his final acts, but it is important to make sure you know everything that I do. Father Michel gave his life to save Yara's soul, he was able to exorcise her demon. I tell you of Yara's journey because it happens to be tied to your own. She said that her demon had taken over her body, which I did see with my own eyes. It brought her to the den of the dragon you were fighting, intent on using her body for it's own goals. While it was drawn away by you and your men, the demon used her to take the artifact you were after, as it was in the demon's interest to take it for itself. Michel met her outside the gates, knowing that engaging Yara and her demon would cost him his life. After the deed was done, Yara was freed from her cursed demon's grasp, and left the artifact here before searching for me. She told me all this, and I have every reason to believe, as she is compelled to not lie to me under her Mark of Justice.

Theo let that sink in, knowing that Niall was not likely to take that news well, given that he had lost men in that cause. He had hoped that he underlined that any residual anger should be directed at the demon, which had been destroyed. In a way, your engagement let Yara bring the artifact here, and Father Michel ensured that the demon faced justice and that the artifact would not remain in the hands of the enemy. It is not easy news to tell you, but I am not here to hide important facts.

As for the vampires, Theo began. We first began with a search of Calartes, the vampiric mage who had allied himself with the Death Knight Zurkul and managed to escape as mist. It was Yara who was able to lead us to him, as she had secreted an item on him that she was able to track. This time we were better prepared, the Vanguard managed to magically restrain his misted form and allow the sunlight to damn the vampire to whatever afterlife awaited him. Unfortunately the demon had wrested control over Yara before the Vanguard had arrived. Several other vampires engaged the priests of the other temples in the same abandoned building, and we forced them to return to their coffins

We then went to the vampire's stronghold, a whorehouse called Seven Sinful Stars, where we fought the vampires that had been left behind. They had allied itself with another Death Knight, this one named Nagor, and so I suspect the breadth of the alliance we are fighting is even greater than we knew. They were defeated. When we opened the way to the lair underneath the building, we also were faced with a dragon, which makes me wonder if there is a draconic element to the unholy alliance we are fighting. Before the fight was through, Yara reappeared to our side. After the fight, she informed me that Michel's last act was exorcising her demon.

Theo reached into his pocket and grabbed no the letter from Michel addressed to him, but the encrypted letter from the Black Wyverns and the decryption Theo had worked out the night before. This is the letter we recovered from the fight with the Black Wyverns. I do not know what we can take from this that we did not learn from Charis Herself at the Palace. But this shows to me that our enemies will try and distract us with other unconnected foes, particularly other gangs. They have many plans in action at once, and we will be spread thin. We must shore up our alliances and not allow ourselves to be distracted with other fights.

Like a fight between us, Theo thought but did not say, hoping that Niall would get his point.
    Last edited by gallagher; 2017-06-06 at 05:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192

"You are the magic researcher here, correct? Theo suggested you to me."

"If I am intruding, I'll leave," she says. "Why are you dissecting a wand? What do you expect to learn from it?"

13. - Top - End - #193
    Firbolg in the Playground

Upon arriving, Gunn drops to his knees in the park, embracing the earth on the island he calls home. Perseus looks on, at first confused, but then, implicitly understanding. The feelings of homesickness in his own chest grow with each passing moment. Gunn rolls onto his back, gazing up at the sky with love and contentment. He allows these feelings, then rises, and looks at Perseus. "I know what Sister Rosalind said, and we will see Sir Theo Roost, but first, I need to make contact with my people." As they walk, he realizes that he doesn't know where his new offices are, having left Rosalind to her own devices to simply find him someplace suitable for a lawyer of his newfound stature, having consulted for the Crown on matters foreign and domestic. Although he never expected to find himself a fish out of water in his own hometown, that is exactly his present experience. Still, Gunn did not become the man he was without learning how to find what he was looking for.

Spoiler: Gather Information
    Show
    To find his new office and head there with the intention of finding Lora, and possibly Snakehands Larry, as per his last instructions.

I haven't finished updating sheets, but Gunn's current ranks should be enough to find this place. Hopefully Lora has done some advertising in his absence. (1d20+17)[30]
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Asoryala seems to debate inwardly whether to answer you, then beckons you in.

"I can see how it would appear that way. No, I am in fact trying to repair the wand. It was destroyed in our confrontation with the red dragon to the north. It would be less expensive and draining to reconstruct it than to replace it."

She turns to look you over, eyes lingering on the marks of draconic influence on your own body.

"But I see you are hardly a stranger to the ways of the wyrm. Perhaps you have a particular interest here, hmm? Is the beast perchance some distant kin of yours? Or a rival? I warn you: proposals to destroy the beast will meet a far better reception than pleas for mercy, after recent events."

15. - Top - End - #195

"I have no particular feelings for the dragon," Yara says, bending down to peer at the wand. "It isn't the right type to be an aspect of my god."
    "There are some things I am unsure of about that attack. I was told that the raid was based on information by someone named Natalia, but I don't know who this is."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Knowing exactly who to ask is a valuable talent in a lawyer, and Gunn has it in abundance.

In the space of an hour, you find yourself in front of a clean, well-proportioned office building in the Merchant's District. A polished steel sign embossed with crisp black lettering reads:

[Centre]THOMAS GUNN AND ASSOCIATES
    Attorneys at Law

Beneath that you see the royal seal and the words (in flowing calligraphy) By appointment to His Highness the Prince, advisors to the Crown.

Opening the weighty oak door, you hear the chime of a bell and find yourselves in a wood-panelled reception room with soft red carpet. Seated at the desk is Lora, looking like she might fall off the chair with surprise to see you.

"Boss! I thought you were meant to be gone for a week or more! Damn it, I new the old wh-"

At that moment, Perseus steps through the door behind you, and Lora instantly changes gear, becoming the reserved receptionist.

"Good afternoon, Sir. Is this gentleman with you?"

17. - Top - End - #197

"I like the place, Lora." Gunn says with a smile. "This is Perseus, of Clan Ironshield," he says by way of introduction. "Perseus, this is Lora. He is my brother, more than my brother, the same way you are as my sister. At least, that is how I feel about him. How else can I describe it?" Gunn asks Perseus.

"Greetings, Lora" Perseus says, relying on the forms of courtesy he had studied as a youth, unfamiliar as always in social situations. "I am honored to meet you."

"Perseus was kind enough to act as my host in the dwarven lands, and I mean that in a most literal sense. Lora, and this is something I would like to discuss in further detail later, if you are willing... Lora, I died on the voyage. I'm not quite sure how I was brought back, but it wasn't as... conventional a resurrection as you experienced. Yet, we share an experience, and if you are willing, I would appreciate further discussion later, once things have settled down a bit.

"More to the point, however, in all my inhabitation of Perseus, he never once tried to expel me, though I'm certain her knew of my presence and at times found it a nuisance." Gunn looks to Perseus for confirmation, who, after a noticeable amount of silence, reluctantly shrugs. "In return, I owe him nothing less. My life is his--keep nothing from him, share with him everything, treat him as an extension of my own personhood, to the extent possible. That being said, it is nearly time to share with him, and you, my plans for my return.

"I assume from your surprise that the Widow is also expecting my absence at the present moment, and for the immediate future. To the extent that we can keep this deception in her mind, we shall. I know she will not approve of what I intend to do, not because it is against her interests, but because it is not in them. It is better she think me absent, for whatever excuse you have already devised.

"However, before I proceed, perhaps you might shed some light on what has transpired, here. Has the Widow secured her hold on the vulnerable territory? What did you tell her about my absence, and what was her response?" Borrowing a phrase from Perseus, he adds, "What is the 'lay of the land'?"

Show
    If memory serves, Lora's loyalty to Gunn is beyond question, as is Snakehands Larry's?
    Last edited by esorscher; 2017-06-07 at 07:45 PM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Niall takes a moment to process this news, turning over the note in his hands without reading it.

"I will want to have Yara inspected, to prove she is free of demonic influence," he says distractedly. Shaking his head, he looks at you.

"I wonder how honest she has been with you, Brother. Which of her actions were caused by the demon, and which she chose freely. Her actions demand investigation, and due process of the law. If all is as you say, she will be exonerated. If not... many of the deaths last night could have been averted if we had been able to seize that artefact and leave immediately. And I'm sure the demon killed at least one of my men.

"But more pressing is the artefact itself. If Natalia was right about its presence, then I must assume she was right about its purpose.

"It seems that a ritual exists, by which the power of a dead god can be added to a living one. This Lens is one of several foci necessary for that ritual. The Malturites are thought to have another. Natalia believes they mean to use the ritual to strengthen their Lord. That is why I risked going into battle against such odds: because the stakes were so high.

"If the Lens of the Mind's Eye is here, we must secure it. It cannot be allowed to fall into enemy hands.

"And, if this ritual exists, I mean to use it. If there is stray power out there, to be seized by whichever god gets there first, I know which Goddess I want to have it."

Looking you in the eye for a time, seemingly trying to judge your support for the cause, he smiles faintly. Tapping his fingers on the desk, he seems to recall the note held in them. Opening it out, he reads it through briefly - then a second time, more carefully, frowning.

"So we have a name for our enemy - or, at least, someone highly placed in their organisation. Interesting, but not especially helpful, as I've never heard of him. But this was in the dwarven alphabet? That is troubling, with war between our nations brewing. Might Kharheim have come under Maltur's sway? A truly frightening thought."

Taking a sheet of blank parchment, he murmurs a prayer and watches the page fill with a duplicate note. Once satisfied, he returns the original to you.

"This business about the 'Daughter' means nothing to me. Had Obren or Michel lived, they might have had access to lore we do not. There might still be answers in the sealed records - but only the High Priest or the Lord Commander can access those, and if you recall, Father Michel had yet to formally confirm my appointment to the role permanently. The records will not open for me.

"Which brings us to the main business of the day - the appointment of Michel's successor.

"I said, I think, that the Temple leaders will assemble at midday to consider this? Let me be frank with you, Brother Roost. I want you to support my candidacy.

"I think it is clear that you and I are likely to be the forerunners. You must concede that, as a foreigner who has never held a high clerical office, you have no real business taking on the job.

"If we have a lengthy process of deciding the issue, it will only serve to delay the appointment of a real leader, who can provide strong, stable direction for this Temple through whatever comes. This is a time of great trial; I am the best man to lead us through it.

"But I am politician enough to know you will not support me for nothing. I do offer you something in return.

"If I am High Priest, there will be a vacancy for Lord Commander. Now, I'm not so desperate for your support as to offer that role to you - but I would give it to your friend Ember.

"And she could then access the sealed records for you, and throw such light as there may be in them on this business of the Daughter."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

As far as an investigation into Yara, Theo responded to that, she is seeking out our Arcane Disciple now. Is there something she can do to ensure that the demonic presence has been lifted from Yara? Given the compelling nature of her Mark of Justice, I will get the entire story from her.

Listening to Brother Niall's explanation of the artifact, Theo tries to measure his response to that of a stoic, sober opposition. I am sure that Charis appreciates your intention of using the artifact to benefit Her, but I must disagree. Destroy the Lens now, that is the only way to ensure that the Malturites never get their hands upon it. If it is truly necessary for this ritual, then we must be proactive and prevent this ritual from ever being completed. He pauses again for a moment, keeping his demeanor that of a professional and equal to Niall. You know I do not trust Natalia, even if she is allied with us now. I cannot help but express to you my concern that she has some other plan in mind that she is not telling us.

And then Brother Niall makes his intentions clear, that he wants Theo to step aside and support his ascendancy. Prophesy has never been any grand motivation for me, but it is indeed interesting in nature. I know you want my support, and I will tell you now that my answer has not changed. I have no personal ambition to nominate myself, and if Charis compels another to nominate me then I will seek the office of High Priest honorably in whatever means this Temple would have us compete, and let Charis's will be done. If you are chosen to succeed Father Michel, then I will fully support Father Niall as the leader of this Temple.

Theo checks to gauge Niall's reaction to these words before continuing. And if, I am the one who is tasked to lead the faithful in these trying times, I will seek to name you as Lord Commander. It is a position that you clearly excel at. As you said, it is of utmost importance that this temple does not fall to division. Nomatter what the outcome of this day, we must continue to work together to destroy the enemies of Charis.

Theo stood up from his chair, and gave the acting Lord Commander a sincere salute. I am glad that last nights events, in total, were a success. May Charis shine her light upon the best way forward. He let that statement stand before indicating that he was taking his leave from the room, but was politely awaiting his dismissal. I wish you a swift recovery, I intend on arranging a time for our committee with the other temples to meet with one of the Chancellors to plan the next step in our unified efforts, and I hope you will be able to contribute to that. I will pray to Charis for wisdom in this afternoon's events.
    Last edited by gallagher; 2017-06-08 at 11:11 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Lora shakes her head. "Well, there's an irony there: Stazia has been putting word out that you'd died, from the moment you left the country. Seems she's been waving around a forged will - unless you really did name her your executor - and using it to close down your interests, seize control of your trust funds, and generally made a mess of things.

"Now, Larry and I saw the way the wind was blowing, got out with everything we could, and sank it all into this place. Your name's on the door, but all the business is in our names - had to be that way, or she'd take it all. As it is, she's out for our blood.

"Meanwhile, she's taken over everything that the Wyverns had, and has been pushing hard against the Sons of Malech. Last night, someone put a hit on the Seven Sinful Stars. Word is she's behind it.

"The Mandrakes are worried - I have that from the horse's mouth. Because... well, we needed help to get out from under her thumb. And..."

"...And we gave it to them."

The speaker is standing in the doorway of the inner office. The walls and doors here must be lead-lined; you had no idea he was there until the door opened. Now, you recognise the person standing there as Garrote - the intermediary who met with you on behalf of the Mandrakes, when you approached them for aid with the Wyverns.

He is dressed in somber business attire, and you note a stack of legal texts and papers on the desk.

Show
    Asoryala looks curiously at you. "You revere a deity of which certain forms of dragon are manifestations? In all my studies, I have never come across such a deity. There are dragon cults enough, to be certain - something about the primordial nature of the wyrm, their almost supernatural ability to inspire fear, seems to elicit a commensurate reverence in primitive minds. But I had thought them universally erroneous.

"Perhaps we can discuss your religion, when you are at leisure. Scholarly pursuits of that nature are my metier.

"But you ask about Natalia. Put simply, she is the High Priestess of Valacles - a longstanding ally of our Temple, and devoted enemy of demonkind. Some of the more moralising members of our Temple find Him an uncomfortable ally; but our Lord Commander takes a different stance."

21. - Top - End - #201

"Yeah, that's some bull****," Gunn confirms to Lora, producing his actual will and testament from his handy briefcase. In it, notably, everything is split between her and Snakehands Larry, with the exception of his recent acquisitions from Yara, which are to be returned to her. He hands the document to Lora for her to copy, then returns it to its secure place in his haversack. "It should be an easy matter to restore what she's done--all I need to do is produce myself in court and prove that I am not dead." He pauses. "I never considered there might be a legal solution to the threat she poses, but if she's gone as far as you say, she's left herself vulnerable to police action."

He raises a hand in recognition of Garrote. "I appreciate the help," Gunn says. "I'm sure it wasn't free. Why don't you tell me what you're thinking I owe you, and we'll go from there?" It is clear from tone and posture that Gunn is intending to resolve things with the Wyverns positively and mutually beneficially.

22. - Top - End - #202

"Valacles..." Yara whispers to herself, trying to remember what she knew on him.
    Spoiler: Know Rel
    Show

(1d20+10)[12]

"I'm confused on one thing though. How has Natalia been able to discover their plans and has she been able to discover their base? The base would have been a much more useful discovery."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Niall grimaces at that, his face showing his mixed feelings at your response.

"Well, at least you're smart enough to recognise my talents. But mark this: you will not take the office of High Priest. I told you before: when Charis needs a thug, She's chosen you. When She needs a leader for Her people, you are simply unfit for the task.

"Noon, then, at the inner shrine. I shall see you then."

He looks down at his papers, clearly intending the last words as a dismissal.

Show
    Spoiler: Knowledge Religion result
    Show
    You recognise the name of Valacles, and recall that He is the God of Sin and Tyranny, also called the King of Devils. Beyond that, you recall very little about Him.

Asoryala only shrugs slightly at the question. "As to her sources, she did not say. Working in the shadows, amassing secrets to use against her enemies - those are her ways, and the ways of her Master, though He is also capable of overt force."

The Arcane Disciple stands, and goes to one of the racks of scrolls. Selecting one, she turns to consider you carefully.

"Rumour has it you are demon-possessed. Yara the Accursed, some call you. Is there any truth in that rumour, I wonder?"

Spoiler: Gunn/Perseus
    Show
    Garrote offers you his bland smile, and you see him taking careful note of where the Will is drawn from and returned to.

"Rather premature to speak of payment, is it not, when you so clearly need our services to continue? You are setting yourself against Stazia, and she against you. Your former infrastructure, the support and finance you relied upon, has been lost to you. And she is stronger than ever.

"You think going against her in court will solve your problems? She will tie up proceedings in bureaucracy, make them drag on for months, even years - and do all she can to murder you quietly in the meantime. You are not her only lawyer, even if you were her best.

"You need allies, Thomas Gunn. And, more urgently than that, you need your business to get off the ground here. Or I should say, our business. Or did you not see the fourth word on the sign?"

Lora looks like she has bitten a sour lemon, but she gives you an apologetic grimace. "Can't run a law firm without lawyers, Boss. Or at least, without someone who could pull off the part."

24. - Top - End - #204

"There was truth in that until last night. The demon took control and dragged my body out of the city. By the time I returned, Father Michel was waiting for me. I accepted his aid in removing the demon but it took control again and by the time I came back, Michel was dying and the demon was gone. It's odd, I only learnt of the demon recently but it became such a major part of me that it being banished feels odd."
    "Something that may be of interest to you is that the demon seemed to be regulating my psionic power, keeping some vast pool of power from me that the brief exposure to this power at the time of banishment altered my abilities."

25. - Top - End - #205

Gunn glances at Lora kindly, then turns to Garrotte, offering him his own bland, toothless smile, little more than a grimace. "Perhaps I was not clear. What is it that you want?"

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo gracefully takes his leave, not letting the Lord Commander's slander show on his face until he left the office. He calls me a thug? How dare he, were he only to look in a mirror... Theo thought, not knowing who might be listening.

But such thought was unproductive. Were this months ago, before his self-imposed exile and subsequent search for justice, Theo would have let that anger consume him. But now was a time for patience and strategy. Theo sought out Ember once more and beckoned her to follow him to his private quarters.

Ember, I need to know once more, even if we have been over it. How much support does Niall have in this temple, and how exactly will the next High Priest be chosen today at noon?
    Last edited by gallagher; 2017-06-09 at 08:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Asoryala considers your explanation, then asks, “I trust you will not object if I verify that?”

Reading from the scroll, forming the words of the arcane formula with precise, clipped diction, she casts a spell which causes her eyes to blaze with silver light, and a feeling of intense scrutiny to pass over you. After several seconds’ scrutiny, she hums ambivalently.

“Well, I sense evil within you, but not in the strength I would associate with demonic possession. And only one aura of evil - most likely your own. Still, some friends can conceal themselves from this kind of scrutiny. Perhaps only time will tell.

“Now, you say the demon was regulating your power, restricting your access to it? And that you believe the source of your power to be something external? My reading on the matter of psionics suggests that they regard it as derived entirely from the manifester’s own mental abilities. So I wonder, is this a function of perception, or an unusual variation of psionics?

“The implication seems clear. If your power comes from within, and the demon’s absence caused it to change, the demon was making you less than you were before. Its absence lifts a restriction. If, on the other hand, you are correct - if some or all of your power comes from a source beyond yourself - it may be that the demon itself was connected with your ability to access that source.

“But you say its absence made you… what? Stronger? Or merely changed?

“I wonder if the demonic possession was deliberate, rather than some freak chance? If so, the simplest explanation is that the reason for it was connected with this power source you describe. Assuming coincidence seems a stretch. Was it done to grant access to this power, or to prevent it? Or for some other reason entirely?

“Do you have any inkling as to the cause of your possession? The motives - if deliberation was involved - behind such a thing?”

Spoiler: Gunn/Perseus
    Show
    Garrote gives Perseus a long look, then - when Gunn does nothing - merely shrugs.

"Being blunt, are we? Shame. Very well, then: in keeping with the spirit of candour, we are uneasy about Stazia's new influence. We propose an alliance against her. But we don't want her organisation collapsing either. Too messy."
    Last edited by ilinares; 2017-06-12 at 07:29 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208

Yara felt uncomfortable with being magically scanned, but she tried to act uncaring.
    "I've discussed the demon with a few people, but nothing has really come of it," Yara says.

"But I should get going," she says, still uncomfortable with what happened. "I need to prepare my loot to go to market."
    Yara leaves to head to her room, sorting the stuff she wanted to bring into her bag along with the lense, intending to buy a chain for it.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Ember leads you to a quiet antechamber, seeking privacy for the discussion.

"I've been reading up on the process," she confirms. "It seems that any priest of five years' standing, who has previously held an office of responsibility within the Temple, is eligible for nomination. The outgoing High Priest can also nominate a candidate, with no such restrictions.

"To be considered, each nominee must have two priests in good standing, as well as the nominating priest, express support for them in writing.

"The pool of nominees is then shortlisted by means of a ballot. All priests in good standing may vote in that ballot. The highest five candidates in that poll go to the shortlist.

From the shortlist, the leadership council picks two candidates to put before Charis. Her Will is determined by a series of trials, set by the leadership council. These can take any form, but must test the candidate's wisdom, devotion, skill, courage, and leadership ability. The winner of three out of those five trials is the new High Priest.

She then wordlessly hands you a letter of nomination and support, in glowing if unsophisticated terms,
    which she has signed.

"As far as his support goes, several of his loyal Templars were among those killed. But overall... perhaps one priest in three believes him to be the best candidate to take over. Asoryala included. No other person, I would guess, has that level of support.
    Last edited by ilinares; 2017-06-12 at 07:32 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210

"Sometimes a blunt instrument is necessary," Gunn says, glancing over Garotte's shoulder. He walks past the rival gangster, who believes himself in competition with the lawyer. The burden of outdated information. As he surveys the office, he slowly turns around, to answer Garotte's offer.

"Since it is abundantly clear to me that my beloved employer will be unwilling to accept my mere resignation, I believe we may be of use to each other. You kill Stazia; I'll make sure her organization falls to the Mandrakes. Now this begs me to ask: when?"