New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default If Games Workshop wrote Harry Potter

...set in the 40k universe.

Maybe a school for the inquisitors? Voldemort would be a chaos sorcerer trying to corrupt members of the Ordo Hereticus. Dumbledore could be somewhat like Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov. Snape could be an inquisitor who delves a bit more deeply into heretical material than normal.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: If Games Workshop wrote Harry Potter

Commissar Fudge shoots Psyker Potter, for secretly harboring a part of a chaos sorcerer's soul. Exterminatus on Planet Hogwarts. Everything gets worse.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    Commissar Fudge shoots Psyker Potter, for secretly harboring a part of a chaos sorcerer's soul. Exterminatus on Planet Hogwarts. Everything gets worse.
    But then Harry wouldn't be able to do this:
    Spoiler: To be fair, you knew this was coming
    Show
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Trelawny as a Harlequin Shadowseer
    Hmm actually, wait a second...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

It would cost $1000 to buy every sentence in the books. Once you got them all, you would have to put them in the right order yourself, and color in the letters with expensive paint. Then at the book club, the guy that spent twice as much on the audiobook version destroys you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Books 1-6 would be published at annual intervals. Every year they'd revise and re-issue at least one of these, and it would cost more than the previous one. With every revision, the series would make less sense. They would insist "It's a setting, not a story", while continuing to post unresolved narrative additions to the series. They'd add a number of spinoffs and sequels, all of them costing more than the novels themselves, taking up an increasing amount of space on the bookshelves and riddled with typos and inconsistencies. Ebook versions would be published in GW's proprietary format, only viewable on a GW ereader, which would be more expensive than any other ereader on the market, and could only read GW's own format.

Eventually, after about thirty years, Book 7 would be released to great fanfare. Each chapter would be its own limited edition costing as much as the previous books had. Taken together, the book would amount to "Rocks fall, everyone dies, and also the world blows up". They would then publish a new series of novels set in the Star Wars universe but still called "Harry Potter" and with a few of the Potter names re-used for setting elements.

Some people would buy it all and insist every change was for the better. A smaller number of people would endlessly complain about how the series has been going downhill since Book 1.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Merlin would be alive but comatose, sustained by the sacrifice of thousands of wizards, unicorns, and other magic creatures daily.

Which wizards, you ask? Two hints: 1) It's a bad idea to be expelled from Hogwarts in this universe. A bad bad idea. 2) There is no Azkaban in this universe.

The Ministry of Magic are staffed by Inquisitors, of which Dolores Umbridge is the chief.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The Muggles would be severely underpowered because they haven't gotten an update in over a decade. Meanwhile, the goblins have been written out of the story entirely. The Order of the Pheonix of course is on all the Harry Potter merchandising and and the Ultrawizards get all the attention.
    Last edited by An Enemy Spy; 2017-03-16 at 03:55 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    It would cost $1000 to buy every sentence in the books. Once you got them all, you would have to put them in the right order yourself, and color in the letters with expensive paint. Then at the book club, the guy that spent twice as much on the audiobook version destroys you.
    Nah. GW hasn't been about spending the most money for a while, now. It's about playing Marines or Eldar.

So, you can only read one book in the series, and if you choose the wrong one, people who read the good book in the series come to your house and trample around on your book.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Every book is the same book over and over, about the billion different ways that Harry Potter got to be what it is today. If somebody likes or dislikes a book it is in series retconned by being declared an illusion caused by wizards. Or not. Who knows.

And when it actually comes down to things happening, prepare for it coming never. And if it ever does come, you wished it didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

All the important characters would be 9 feet tall and able to slay thousands of lesser wizards.

Voldemort would have been the best fiend of Harry's father who was turned to the side of villainy by pride and confusion.

Harry would have been magically enhanced as a baby and before he could join Hogwarts he would have been forced to kill a griffon with a sharpened broom handle to demonstrate his might.

Even the 'good' guys would use tyrannical magical powers to maintain their society. Anyone suspected of Deatheater sympathies would be summarily executed.

In the games monetizing the franchise everyone would be inferior to the house elves, who have magic and mobility far beyond everyone else.

Outside the silliness above, I don't think the setting or plotline would fit well into the 40k setting. A psyker child born of two psyker parents who were then murdered by a chaos psyker and who was left with a magical scar from the conflict would be terminated pretty quickly. Though the idea of a psyker equivalent of Harry having to deal with chaos corruption leaking into his mind from a splinter of chaos sorcery lodged to his soul could be pretty cool, at least for a while.

Also, I think the curriculum at Hogwarts would be considered irresponsible even by the Imperium.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Forge World would sell special, resin versions of the books, at twice the normal price.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Instead of being sorted by a hat, Harry and friends would be tested to see if they'd be more useful alive than as Emperor burgers!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

If games workshop wrote harry pother we have officaly found the worst of the worstsest version of harry pother harry would be cadian merc and voldy would be head of particular inquition bent to put harry deadliest of deadly sitiations with less than his worts load out
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

The school uniform would have pauldrons. They would get bigger for each year, requiring a full new uniform to be purchased. (Left and right would be sold seperately, obviously).

Percy Weasley would want to be a prefect because prefects have the biggest pauldrons.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Also, I think the curriculum at Hogwarts would be considered irresponsible even by the Imperium.
    That's saying something for sure. I mean maybe a Space Marine curriculum could work, I mean they are the only groups that actively try to kill their recruits before they even see battle as a noviate.

17. - Top - End - #17

If GW writer Sandy Mitchell had written Harry Potter, it would have been first person, Harry would have been incredibly snarky (especially in inner monologue), and it would have been annotated by Ginny Weasley.

And now I really want to read something like this....
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    If GW writer Sandy Mitchell had written Harry Potter, it would have been first person, Harry would have been incredibly snarky (especially in inner monologue), and it would have been annotated by Ginny Weasley.

And now I really want to read something like this....
    The Boy Who Lived they call me, what they don't teach in schools is that I survived however many of the ridiculously lethal situations the Universe keeps putting me in by doing everything in my not-inconsiderable power to get the hell away from them ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    The Boy Who Lived they call me, what they don't teach in schools is that I survived however many of the ridiculously lethal situations the Universe keeps putting me in by doing everything in my not-inconsiderable power to get the hell away from them ASAP.
    Looks like cipias cain and hary would be best friends cuz its the same phsycology both of them have
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.