New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Funny bits of canon D&D 3.5 lore

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    I can't believe I forgot about Cas, the moose-headed god of spite. Sure, moose can be quite stubborn and spiteful (some will challenge air planes for mates), but...It needs a bit more to be taken seriously.
    As someone who has come face to face with a moose, I can assure you that I take them very seriously.

Im also a big fan of Cas, for what it is worth. Definately my diety of choice when I feel like going rp heavy and for also letting the party know I do not intend to be thier band aid.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dagroth View Post
    Welll... maybe it's like Dwarves. Dwarven women have beards, Gnomish men have breasts.
    Anything official to back this up?
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Could just be a trans male gnome in an oddly progressive note.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

Probably just joking about the scene in LOTR.

There are plenty of examples of dwarven women in the books, and none of them have beards. There's one present in the DMG, and of course my favorite example
    Oviff Forigril, sample Ollam, and Lucana Silverson, sample Battlesmith. Separated at birth? Is one a clone?
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Could just be a trans male gnome in an oddly progressive note.
    I'd put the odds of WotC trying to be progressive a few digits behind them just messing up on a word or two when they made a description for the art department. They probably forgot to mention gender and figured no one would care more than anything else.

Not that I wouldn't love it if they did have a canonical trans character, but I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

tongue Re: Funny bits of canon D&D 3.5 lore

...and let's make sure we don't confuse Cas with Kas.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Uh, sorry, but I don't know that much about D&D lore.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: Funny bits of canon D&D 3.5 lore

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Uh, sorry, but I don't know that much about D&D lore.
    Cas is a weird Moose-headed god of spite in Heroes of Horror.

Kas was the original wielder of the artifact, The Sword of Kas. He was the general of Vecna, before he was a god. He turned against Vecna a destroyed him with The Sword.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Cas is a weird Moose-headed god of spite in Heroes of Horror.

Kas was the original wielder of the artifact, The Sword of Kas. He was the general of Vecna, before he was a god. He turned against Vecna a destroyed him with The Sword.
    Oh, I see. What could the artifact do, btw?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Colossus in the Playground

It varies enormously from edition to edition:

http://greyhawkery.blogspot.co.uk/20...-editions.html

but it was most often a +6 intelligent weapon.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    It varies enormously from edition to edition:

http://greyhawkery.blogspot.co.uk/20...-editions.html

but it was most often a +6 intelligent weapon.
    Whoa, the basic enhancements are +14 alone, and +10 strength requires a decently high-epic magic item. And it has tons of SLAs. The only default weapon I've seen that's comparable to that is the Gloom's +10 human dread dagger.

Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Colossus in the Playground

+6 enhancement bonus (so, overcoming DR/epic in 3.5) was what I was thinking of as the most common trait (along with intelligence) - every version up till 4e has it - 4e drops it to +5 (though it does go up to +6 when Pleased with the wielder).
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

In 5e, it's the only thing that can permanently destroy Vecna's Hand and Eye (two other artifacts).
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    In 5e, it's the only thing that can permanently destroy Vecna's Hand and Eye (two other artifacts).
    how do you destroy his head though?
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Why would you want to destroy it? The thing's hilarious.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

You destroy it by putting it on and having it be the focus of the kissed by the ages spell targeted to you
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    According to the Companion D&D set the Known World (i.e. Mystara before it became hollow) is actually the real world earth hundreds of thousands of years ago in the age before magic died out (the Companion set world map is a direct continent position extrapolation).
    It's a bit more complicated than that. The continents of Mystara were based roughly on what the Earth looked like 135 million years ago. When TSR rebranded the Known World as Mystara in the 90's, they re-fluffed a lot of the older D&D modules into the world, including the DA1-4 series based on Dave Arneson's original Blackmoor campaign, which goes back to the original 1974 edition of Dungeons & Dragons (the brown box with booklets edition, not the 1978 "white box" edition). Supplement II: Blackmoor contained the first adventure published by TSR, "Temple of the Frog". It was... very weird.

In the original Temple of the Frog, the PCs encounter a villain "from another world/dimension", Saint Stephen of the Rock. He had "magical" armor that allowed him to fly around, made him immune to magic/mental/energy attacks, and had a "sword" that shot laser beams. Thousands of years ago, the FSS Beagle (a reference to A.E. van Vogt's "Voyage of the Space Beagle", which was itself a reference to Darwin's HMS Beagle) crash-landed on planet Mystara. (Incidentally, the "Voyage of the Space Beagle" is considered by some to be the inspiration behind the chest-bursters in the movie "Alien".) Arneson asked Stephen Rocheford, one of his players, to create a new villain for his campaign. So Rocheford created Saint Stephen of the Rock based loosely on himself and, oddly enough, the Star Trek episode where Captain Kirk runs into Space Nazis.

The FSS Beagle was a survey ship from the Galactic Federation, which was an offshoot of John Snider's "Star Empires" campaign. The Galactic Federation sounds very similar to the Star Trek Federation of Planets, because after the Beagle crashes, Captain Bork Riesling (a Robert Heinlein reference) attempts to put the entire crew into suspended animation to observe a directive very similar to the "Prime Directive": do not allow any primitive cultures to acquire advanced Federation technology. Stephen Rocklin, the ship's security officer, disagrees and attempts a mutiny against Captain Riesling. The mutiny fails but Rocklin and five other mutineers escape and manage to take over a monastery in a swamp. He uses advanced technology to genetically breed the frogs in the swamp into bigger killer frogs (possibly inspired by the Deep Ones from H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos).

In the original supplement, the Temple of the Frog is full of hundreds of soldiers and thousands of killer frogs, with very little instruction on how the PCs are supposed to deal with them, as anything involving a frontal assault is pure suicide. Apparently the players were supposed to infiltrate the temple to learn more about Saint Stephen's frog army, then come back later with an actual army of their own, at which point the rules would switch over to Chainmail and they'd fight out the actual battle with wargame rules rather than RPG rules.

The Blackmoor material was later reworked into "DA2: Temple of the Frog", a module for the "Expert" D&D game (Basic/Expert/Companion/Master/Immortal Box Sets). This involves sending the PCs 3000 years into the past for... reasons. Well, mostly to deal with Saint Stephen's Order of the Frog about 5 years after the failed mutiny against Captain Riesling.

"DA3: City of the Gods" involves Rocklin's attempt to use his Order of the Frog to infiltrate and seize control of the FSS Beagle away from Captain Riesling. "DA4: Duchy of Ten" doesn't involve any sci-fi elements, and Arneson wasn't involved with it. Mostly it's a standard "throw the powerful artifact into the volcano" quest. "DA1: Adventures in Blackmoor" mostly deals with the Inn Between Worlds (the time travel/gate device used to transport the PCs back and forth through time periods), and digging through a mind-numbing amount of backstory involving NPCs and nations with various races and cultures and wars and events and... ugh! And all this crap happened 3000 years *before* the current Known World which of course has its own NPCs and nations and various races and cultures and events.

Only in D&D do you have to go 3000 years *INTO THE PAST* to bling out your PCs with laser rifles, power armor, and plasma grenades.

Somewhat oddly, given all that sci-fi background, the Mystara campaign world does *not* contain a miniature giant space hamster named Boo. That's part of the canon in the Forgotten Realms.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    It's a bit more complicated than that. The continents of Mystara were based roughly on what the Earth looked like 135 million years ago. When TSR rebranded the Known World as Mystara in the 90's, they re-fluffed a lot of the older D&D modules into the world, including the DA1-4 series based on Dave Arneson's original Blackmoor campaign, which goes back to the original 1974 edition of Dungeons & Dragons (the brown box with booklets edition, not the 1978 "white box" edition). Supplement II: Blackmoor contained the first adventure published by TSR, "Temple of the Frog". It was... very weird.

In the original Temple of the Frog, the PCs encounter a villain "from another world/dimension", Saint Stephen of the Rock. He had "magical" armor that allowed him to fly around, made him immune to magic/mental/energy attacks, and had a "sword" that shot laser beams. Thousands of years ago, the FSS Beagle (a reference to A.E. van Vogt's "Voyage of the Space Beagle", which was itself a reference to Darwin's HMS Beagle) crash-landed on planet Mystara. (Incidentally, the "Voyage of the Space Beagle" is considered by some to be the inspiration behind the chest-bursters in the movie "Alien".) Arneson asked Stephen Rocheford, one of his players, to create a new villain for his campaign. So Rocheford created Saint Stephen of the Rock based loosely on himself and, oddly enough, the Star Trek episode where Captain Kirk runs into Space Nazis.

The FSS Beagle was a survey ship from the Galactic Federation, which was an offshoot of John Snider's "Star Empires" campaign. The Galactic Federation sounds very similar to the Star Trek Federation of Planets, because after the Beagle crashes, Captain Bork Riesling (a Robert Heinlein reference) attempts to put the entire crew into suspended animation to observe a directive very similar to the "Prime Directive": do not allow any primitive cultures to acquire advanced Federation technology. Stephen Rocklin, the ship's security officer, disagrees and attempts a mutiny against Captain Riesling. The mutiny fails but Rocklin and five other mutineers escape and manage to take over a monastery in a swamp. He uses advanced technology to genetically breed the frogs in the swamp into bigger killer frogs (possibly inspired by the Deep Ones from H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos).

In the original supplement, the Temple of the Frog is full of hundreds of soldiers and thousands of killer frogs, with very little instruction on how the PCs are supposed to deal with them, as anything involving a frontal assault is pure suicide. Apparently the players were supposed to infiltrate the temple to learn more about Saint Stephen's frog army, then come back later with an actual army of their own, at which point the rules would switch over to Chainmail and they'd fight out the actual battle with wargame rules rather than RPG rules.

The Blackmoor material was later reworked into "DA2: Temple of the Frog", a module for the "Expert" D&D game (Basic/Expert/Companion/Master/Immortal Box Sets). This involves sending the PCs 3000 years into the past for... reasons. Well, mostly to deal with Saint Stephen's Order of the Frog about 5 years after the failed mutiny against Captain Riesling.

"DA3: City of the Gods" involves Rocklin's attempt to use his Order of the Frog to infiltrate and seize control of the FSS Beagle away from Captain Riesling. "DA4: Duchy of Ten" doesn't involve any sci-fi elements, and Arneson wasn't involved with it. Mostly it's a standard "throw the powerful artifact into the volcano" quest. "DA1: Adventures in Blackmoor" mostly deals with the Inn Between Worlds (the time travel/gate device used to transport the PCs back and forth through time periods), and digging through a mind-numbing amount of backstory involving NPCs and nations with various races and cultures and wars and events and... ugh! And all this crap happened 3000 years *before* the current Known World which of course has its own NPCs and nations and various races and cultures and events.

Only in D&D do you have to go 3000 years *INTO THE PAST* to bling out your PCs with laser rifles, power armor, and plasma grenades.

Somewhat oddly, given all that sci-fi background, the Mystara campaign world does *not* contain a miniature giant space hamster named Boo. That's part of the canon in the Forgotten Realms.

Don't forget that capcom brought us two action beat em up arcade games set in Mystara and including such elements as scantily clad drow riding fire breathing drakes(?), scantily clad sorceress BBEG who has sleep spells that can even hit elves, scantily clad midboss dark elf guy and, don't forget his equally scantily clad pallete swap good elf counterpart that saves you in the first fight with him. Oh, and an over the ground train that zooms along at something like 60 miles an hour given how fast the background passes by, and not just one air ship, but an entire fleet of airships with guns so potent they shoot a world ending apocalypse demon to death. You know, the one you were supposed to stop. Oh, and there's the disappearing reappearing thief, who wasn't even in the first game at all, but got retconned into having been in that adventure so that she could pull out a macguffin conveniently near the end of the story in game 2.

Ah yes, and there were no magic users in the first game. Just Elf, Dwarf, Fighter, and Cleric. What do you mean those classes sound racist? Elf and Dwarf are quite decent classes. Why, the Dwarf has more hp, and the elf not only has a sword, she also can cast magic user spells. And levels slowly. And doesn't get any of the best ones in either of the games.

Oh, and Mystara in the games references The Immortals instead of any deities. So that cleric that you can run through both games as and spam turn undead with? He's not praying to gods for spells. He's praying to immortal beings who seem to have a penchant for doling out cryptic hints instead of giving anyone solid answers about anything. Did I mention there's a holy avenger in there but no Paladin class? And it starts as a cursed sword that can only be uncursed by having someone playing the cleric try to pick it up 7 times. As compared to the other cursed sword, that gets uncursed by swinging it and taking damage until it decides you've wasted enough lives (and quarters) to justify having it be useful.

There's also a spell in the second game that only the magic user can cast, but it instantly kills the final boss. If you hit with it. And to activate it you have to get the staff of wizardry, which breaks on casting it. And you need a team of four players. And they need to activate it with you at the same time to cast it. And it eats everyone's hp down to like, 1. So yeah, don't miss.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Wow, thanks for this background. I recently (last year) read Voyage of the Space Beagle. Neat to know that it inspired such a classic D&D adventure.

Spoiler: off topic
    Show
    I also had heard that VotSB was a major influence on Alien: after reading it, I can see some small amount of similarity, but not so much as some of the reviews I had read led me to believe.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: off topic
    Show
    I also had heard that VotSB was a major influence on Alien: after reading it, I can see some small amount of similarity, but not so much as some of the reviews I had read led me to believe.
    Spoiler: More OT
    Show
    It is probably similar to the relationship between the novel Roadside Picnic, the movie Stalker and the game series S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Regarding Temple of the Frog: thanks for the interesting details. I've read through the TSR module a while ago and for some reason I was under the Impression that it was based in Greyhawk.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Regarding Temple of the Frog: thanks for the interesting details. I've read through the TSR module a while ago and for some reason I was under the Impression that it was based in Greyhawk.
    It was in both campaign worlds: Greyhawk and in the Known World. When the Greyhawk map was published, Blackmoor was placed in one of the corners of the northern arctic region. Presumably this was to allow players who were already playing in Arneson's campaign world to also purchase and use any Greyhawk material, and vice versa. Other than being put on the map and the original 1974 "Supplement II", I don't think TSR released any Blackmoor-specific material for Greyhawk. Arneson's group was located in the Twin Cities area, and he only worked at TSR up until 1980ish, so once he left I would guess there was no Blackmoor-related material in the pipeline.

In 1986, Arneson's Blackmoor material was adapted for Mentzer's Companion Rules and folded into the "Known World" campaign setting. Presumably the product line manager for the D&D Basic game needed to put some Companion-level modules on the production schedule, called up Arneson to see if he could adapt Temple of the Frog, and Arneson said, "Sure! Go for it!"

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

As someone who has come face to face with a moose, I can assure you that I take them very seriously.
    I'm still not taking Mister-Imma-throw-a-tantrum-until-I'm-a-god, even if I would run away from a moose if I saw one. I mean, I live in California, if that thing is coming for me it's very determined.

Im also a big fan of Cas, for what it is worth. Definately my diety of choice when I feel like going rp heavy and for also letting the party know I do not intend to be thier band aid.
    Please tell me you have some sort of bad-*** spin on it.

Give it to Kender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

In Korea, Cass is a beer company.

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

In Korea, Cass is a beer company.
    Fitting. I assume most moose are angry drunks and that does suit the god.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

How could we forget Cass, the seraph of Thursday!

I was always amused to read in Lords of Madness of Illithids hailing from the future, particularly how that is the reason why, "...the inscrutable mind flayers are the race that aboleths come the closest to fearing", as the old ones have no racial memory of Illithid origins.

Drow matriarchy has always been interesting to me, and the line in DotU, "Thus, the females, who are both essential to reproduction and capable of withstanding it, are clearly both stronger and more blessed than the males" always makes me smile.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MHCD View Post
    How could we forget Cass, the seraph of Thursday!

I was always amused to read in Lords of Madness of Illithids hailing from the future, particularly how that is the reason why, "...the inscrutable mind flayers are the race that aboleths come the closest to fearing", as the old ones have no racial memory of Illithid origins.

Drow matriarchy has always been interesting to me, and the line in DotU, "Thus, the females, who are both essential to reproduction and capable of withstanding it, are clearly both stronger and more blessed than the males" always makes me smile.
    Woah, Illithids are from the future? That explains a bit.

As for the Drow, I'm honestly surprised why reality isn't like this a bit more.

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MHCD View Post
    And capable of withstanding it...
    Uh, last I checked, men were far less likely to die during childbirth on average. Or do drow women practice snoo-snoo?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Woah, Illithids are from the future? That explains a bit.

As for the Drow, I'm honestly surprised why reality isn't like this a bit more.
    I thought it was canon that illithids are humans from very far in the future and have evolved to be very mind-based with scrawny bodies like in mars attacks.

I never saw this in any of the 3e books, so assumed it was a relic from spelljammer or something. is this true?
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I thought it was canon that illithids are humans from very far in the future and have evolved to be very mind-based with scrawny bodies like in mars attacks.

I never saw this in any of the 3e books, so assumed it was a relic from spelljammer or something. is this true?
    Well, they aren't exactly human-descended, and they're implied to be warped from the trip into what they are nowadays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

Well if you take all the old Spelljammer stuff as cannon there's some seriously weird crap out there.

The mountain ash tree has bunches of red berries, and it keeps some of them into the winter. They eventually ferment a bit. Moose like the taste. Drunk irritable moose are a thing around here.